• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2012

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
RafaVer...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

I trust that you've found the Forum an informative, interesting and inviting source for many things concerned with walking the Way.

What a great location to begin your Camino...let the healing that Lourdes is known for continue with you as you make your Way to Santiago.

Please keep us in the loop and if you have any questions, observations or suggestions make them known.

Buen Camino

Arn

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am really glad to see some of the Fall 2012 folks begin to appear out here. As announced earlier, I plan on a re-do attempt in September, likely starting the first week. I have been walking almost every day for the past 6 months - on my own during the week and with a local chapter of the Bruce Trail Hiking Club on the weekends. I now find 2 hour walks short and look forward to 3 hour walks. My longest walk, which included several accents and decents of the Niagara escarpment lasted 4.5 hours. I have lost 30 lbs over the last 7 months and look to lose more before I am done. Soon I will have to change my screen name out here. I am still trying to learn Spanish but likely never will, and am improving my catchment of camino goodies (I found a silk sleeping bag that weighs less than 1/2 lb and folds into the size of a baseball).

I am interested in hearing from fellow pilgrims planning on going in the fall, and always appreciate the guideance of the veterns who monitor these threads and lend their very valuable advice.

Tim

....well done Tim, either you've got big baseballs or you really have shrunk loads.
You are doing better than me, my spanish is crap, very lazy & need to pick it up again, & walk more hours too; Walking nearly every day & feel better for it, but know a long way to go......a social-walk'n in Wales today :), followed by Taize singing @ 1600.....In manus tuas, Pater....a great set-up for the NY :!:
David

Tim-the-fat-Canadian said:
I plan on walking from St Jean, beginning the first week of September. If anyone else is planning on going at this time, let me know.

Tim

Tim you are a hero! Doing all this walking and attempting the Pyrenees again!

Please, let us know how we can follow your blog or website?

annie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
....... I have lost 30 lbs over the last 7 months and look to lose more before I am done. Soon I will have to change my screen name out here. .........
Tim
You could ask Ivar to add something into your name so we still know it is you :)
Tim-who -was-the-fat-Canadian? or Tim-now-the-slim-Canadian?
Good to see you will be walking again
Buen Camino

Tim :D !

You are one of the most persevering and dedicated people I know!
You must feel very rewarded and proud to have already accomplished these training goals. I am confident that you will make it to Santiago this time. It would be great to see you again, and we will be walking in September, so perhaps....
Keep us updated on your training and preparations.
Buen Camino and congratulations!

lynne

Tim...you are truly the:
"Amazing Shrinking Man"

Now you can step off the big screen and onto the Camino".

Well done, an inspiration for the Class of 2012!

Saludos,

Arn

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We are planning on walking from Merida where we stopped this year, toward Santiago. I can't say now whether we'll reach Santiago, which I would love to do, or whether we'll stop before.
All I know is that I must start getting in shape now -- and not just pray to get in shape :)
Wishing you all a Happy New Year's Eve until tomorrow when a brand-new year will start.

Ultreya!

still struggling with a 2011 Camino injury I haven't given up hope of walking again in summer 2012. Not sure where, but i think the french

A big Happy New Year to everyone on the forum but especially those who are walking the Way this year. Can finally say ....this year!. Most of you will still be waiting for midnight but here at the bottom of the world, it is New Years Day.
Rain has lashed most of the country for the last two days cancelling some new years eve celebrations and threatening others. But this morning it is dry (at least where I live) and no wind so Im hoping its a good sign for a good year.
have been training a bit but today I start training properly in my new boots - though probably just a short walk post new years eve ....
best wishes to everyone for a great 2012 that includes a successful completion of your Camino journey.

karen

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Tim I'm coming over from New Zealand and arriving in SJPP on 07 Sept.
My date might be a little later than what you are planning, but I'll certainly look out for you.
Do I keep an eye out for a Canadian maple leaf on your backpack?
Well done on your progress in training! I'm only starting now but you have spurred me on.
Yvonne

Pieces, Karennz, Yvonne...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

A very Happy New Year to you all as you've chosen 2012 to walk the Way.

Pieces, here's hoping any and all injuries are, or will soon be healed as you set out once again. The CF is beautiful.

Karennz and Yvonne, there is a cornucopia of solid and interesting information available to you on the Forum. If you can't get a quick answer by checking the FAQ, or using the SEARCH tab...just ask! You will find the Forum members a wealth of experience, whether you're looking for the most direct and economical way to arrive at your chosen jump off location, a bit of history about the Camino or, on a lighter note: what cerveza, vinotinto, or pulpo... bars, vintages or restaurants you should try...we are here.

Buen Camino

Arn

Happy New Year, everyone! I have just spent the past hour talking to my (slighty hesitant) parents about the Camino; showing them some pictures from santiago-compostela.net, my profile here, and some threads from this forum. I bought them tickets to see The Way, which they saw over the holidays, so they know somewhat of what my journey will entail. "Those heavy snorers may keep you awake at night...", "aha! My solution, mom? Bright orange ear plugs. I heard it's "the" look for worrisome, tired Pilgrims, settling into their bunks at night."

I want to thank everyone so far who has privately messaged me; I have purchased two books so far which I am looking forward to reading (as suggested, Brierley's A Pilgrim's Guide, and I stumpled upon I'm Off Then by Hape Kerkeling and Shelley Frisch, which looked quite good - a little humor). I hope to also stumble upon more people who, like myself, are planning to walk the path this coming fall. For it's 2012! :D I will have a Camino forum members patch on my backpack, the latter which I'll be purchasing in February - and which will definitely compliment my training. Now, if anyone has any suggestions for a snug fit... :wink:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I now find 2 hour walks short and look forward to 3 hour walks. My longest walk, which included several accents and decents of the Niagara escarpment lasted 4.5 hours. I have lost 30 lbs over the last 7 months and look to lose more before I am done. Soon I will have to change my screen name out here. Tim
'Tim-the-determined-Canadian 'might make a good new name. Tim, your post is one of the most heartwarming I have ever read on the Forum. You have turned 'failure' into a life-changing experience. I wish you continued joy as you train, and look forward to hearing more, especially when you walk the Camino.
Margaret

Hi I'm Tom from Portland, Oregon. I'll be leaving from Le Puy in September this year, going to St Jean PdP, and coming back for the second leg next year(hopefully). I posted something in a new thread as I didn't notice this one for some reason. Hope to see some of you on the way.

pilgrim-introductions/topic12408.html

Have a good time. You will find almost all answers to your questions somewhere here, but ask if you don't.

Abbeydore said:
....well done Tim, either you've got big baseballs or you really have shrunk loads.
You are doing better than me, my spanish is crap, very lazy & need to pick it up again, & walk more hours too; Walking nearly every day & feel better for it, but know a long way to go......a social-walk'n in Wales today :), followed by Taize singing @ 1600.....In manus tuas, Pater....a great set-up for the NY :!:
David

David, thanks for the kind works. It sounds like you are out walking and heading in the right direction. What I tell myself is that the more walking I do now, the less pain I will feel in September. I might be lying to myself, but hey, it gets me out there, lol.

Tim

anniethenurse said:
I plan on walking from St Jean, beginning the first week of September. If anyone else is planning on going at this time, let me know.

Tim

Tim you are a hero! Doing all this walking and attempting the Pyrenees again!

Please, let us know how we can follow your blog or website?

annie

Annie, I will set one up soon and will let folks know how to access it. I wanted to make this attempt with less fanfare than my last try - sort of like a second wedding, lol.

Tia Valeria said:
....... I have lost 30 lbs over the last 7 months and look to lose more before I am done. Soon I will have to change my screen name out here. .........
Tim
You could ask Ivar to add something into your name so we still know it is you :)
Tim-who -was-the-fat-Canadian? or Tim-now-the-slim-Canadian?
Good to see you will be walking again
Buen Camino

Tia, with all the Christmas chocolates and pastries and such, not to forget several turkey meals with loads of gravy, potatoes, etc. - it is amazing that I have not regained every pound that I had lost. But that is mostly eaten now and I am back to twice a day workouts ( 5 miles at lunch - extended lunch, shhhhhh - and an hour on the recumbent bike at home tonight). This Saturday there is a 3 hour hike with the Bruce Trail Hiking club so that should keep me out of trouble for a while.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
lynnejohn said:
Tim :D !

You are one of the most persevering and dedicated people I know!
You must feel very rewarded and proud to have already accomplished these training goals. I am confident that you will make it to Santiago this time. It would be great to see you again, and we will be walking in September, so perhaps....
Keep us updated on your training and preparations.
Buen Camino and congratulations!

lynne

Lynne - I am hoping to be back in your city in about May - when the snow melts up there and maybe you, your hubby and I can meet again. I enjoyed our last meeting. Once you know your dates for September, you will have to let me know and which route you will be walking. If I remember correctly, this will be your first time to go in the fall so that will be exciting for you to see the fruits of the harvest instead of the young seedlings. Keep in touch.

Arn said:
Tim...you are truly the:
"Amazing Shrinking Man"

Now you can step off the big screen and onto the Camino".

Well done, an inspiration for the Class of 2012!

Saludos,

Arn

Arn, thank you very much for your kinds words. Us rookies rely on the widsom of you and the other vets to guide us and to offer advice and we are very grateful for the time you folks spend doing this.

Tim

Yvonne said:
Tim I'm coming over from New Zealand and arriving in SJPP on 07 Sept.
My date might be a little later than what you are planning, but I'll certainly look out for you.
Do I keep an eye out for a Canadian maple leaf on your backpack?
Well done on your progress in training! I'm only starting now but you have spurred me on.
Yvonne

Yvonne, I have not booked my tickets yet so my dates are still somewhat flexible. I have the crest from this forum, the canadian pilgrim crest, and a canadian flag on my backpack (maybe that is why it is so heavy?) I plan on starting in St Jean - this is a 're-do' for me as I have attempted this journey once before, almost two years ago.

Have you booked your tickets yet?

Tim

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
[/quote]'Tim-the-determined-Canadian 'might make a good new name. Tim, your post is one of the most heartwarming I have ever read on the Forum. You have turned 'failure' into a life-changing experience. I wish you continued joy as you train, and look forward to hearing more, especially when you walk the Camino.
Margaret[/quote]

Margaret, having you, Arn, LynnJohn, and others looking after us makes this all work out. Thank you for your kinds words and when I am out training, I often think of my friends out here - both the ones who have conqured the Camino and all it brings, and others who are making plans to do their first one. It would not be anywhere as sucessful without the advice and encouragement that you folks offer. Thanks so very much.

Tim

Tim. believe me, you are bringing me lots of encouragement as well. I leave mid-April which is starting to feel awfully close! I have been out walking quite a bit, but I know that some of the walks I am finding hard now need to feel 'easy' in such a short time. Tomorrow I will head out again, and as I puff going up some hills, I will think of you and your determination, and I will be inspired!
Margaret

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
William...welcome to the Forum...OOPS, er well, welcome to the Class of 2012!

Great to hear you and your wife will be on Camino this year.

Please let us know of your impressions as you walk the Way.

All the best,

Arn

Planning to set out from St Jean in September 2012 for our journey to Santiago. Contemplating going on to Finisterre and Muxxia. Would love to hear from anyone who has previously done the Finisterre and Muxxia sections.

Re: Class of 2012~ Sacred circle dance

iHola companeros!
Hi. I've just joined the class of 2012. I'm from Albany, Australia- 52 years young. I'll be starting my walk at Easter in Pamplona. Been a little obsessive about planning but now with all the info from this wonderful site I'm starting to let go. Muchas gracias to all the administrators.
I'm an avid circle dancer. Traditionally pilgrams would do a pilgrams dance at sunrise and then again at sunset. The dances I've done here in Oz I've found very strong and uplifting. I love the connection of the other dancers. If you meet me on the Frances Way I'd love to dance with you. Plus does anyone know of any circle dance groups along the way as I'd love to connect with them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
" I plan on a re-do attempt in September, likely starting the first week.
Hi Tim-the-no-longer-fat-Canadian,
Hi from another Canadian! We exchanged a couple of emails after your first walk over the Pyrenees and I just wanted to add my best wishes to everyone else's. Good on you! I'm delighted to hear that you're going again. One thing you said was that no one spoke to you so your walk over the top felt like a really solitary trek. This time, I recommend that you do an un-Canadian thing and walk up to a few others, introduce yourself, find out where they're from and start chatting so you'll have a real sense that you're not alone going over that hill again. It's much more interesting when you get to know a few people. Staying overnight at Huntto or Orisson is a great way to meet people since you'll all have dinner around the same table in the evening. It also cuts a few km off the trip for the following day.
Congratulations on your successes and on not giving up.
Buen camino
Cecelia

:arrow: We are planning on The Camino Portugues, starting late April and finishing around May 13. This will be our first Camino and we are looking forward to the Way. We then plan on going to Barcelona for two days before heading back home to Charleston, SC. Any suggestions, advice or information is always appreciated. The airlines, backpacks and our first night in Lisbon have been booked. Hopefully we will meet some of you in the Class of 2012 on our journey.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wilburd...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

The Camino Portuguese is a mix of old colonial cities (Porto) and, middle to small, vibrant town and villages. Most of the municipal albergues are relatively modern, or at least modernized.

What is your starting point? That will determine relative distance traveled per day. The average day is about 20 km.

I'm sure many current Forum members will add to this welcome and offer sage advice as you prepare to walk the Way.

Bom Caminho,

Arn

One thing you said was that no one spoke to you so your walk over the top felt like a really solitary trek. Staying overnight at Huntto or Orisson is a great way to meet people since you'll all have dinner around the same table in the evening. Cecelia[/quote]

Cecelia, Hi again and thanks for the kind words of advice. Just to clarify - I did meet several people on the train (it actually was a bus because the tracks were down for maintenance) from Bayonne to St Jean. There was an awesome couple from Ireland, a german guy, a lady from Barcelona who was currently living in England, and myself. A gang of five. When we arrived in St Jean, we all made it up to the registration place (sorry for my lack of proper terminology), then we were to find our accommodations and then meet for supper. That was the last I seen of them except for the couple from Ireland. They registered in the first hostel they found but I had a reservation at a private place. Only the place was empty so I waited for the owner to show up which took at least an hour. The Irish couple went to dinner and I was to meet them. That was the last I seen them. The owner finally showed up and gave me a complete tour of his three storey place that was, according to him, a newer place - only 200 years old. I said that I thought my 20 year old house was old. Also staying there was a young girl from the USA and a guy from Holland. So the three of us were to set out the following morning. It was raining the next day and we did set out at 8 am. Only the other two took off like jack rabbits, never turning around once to see where I was, and long before even the fork in the road (over the mountain or around it), they were out of sight. Before Honto, the German guy from the night before caught up to me, but I was like a snail by then and told him to go on. He and a German woman who passed me earlier were taking shelter from the rain at the place in Honto so I stopped in to get out of the rain myself. I left before they did to get a head start since they walked faster than me. I passed a roadblock which had french words on it likely saying road closed but I kept going because the folks at the registration place said that the mountain was now open and were encouraging people to take it. It was so foggy that you could barely see. Orisson was closed even though the guide book said it was open at the end of March. I did not think that I could make it to Roncesvalles - I thought I would die alone on top of that mountain so I turned around. Never passed the Germans or anyone on the way down. I told myself that if there was a train leaving town, I would take it, if not, I would stay the night in St Jean again. There was a last train. So I headed back to Canada. I did meet people, got along very well with them, but somehow, wound up there on the mountain alone. I apolgize for the lengthly blurb here but just wanted to share what really happened, almost two full years ago.

Thank you Arn. I did find that thread just after I posted my comment. Was very informative and has answered most of my questions. Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Nice to see other class members over sixty.

As Churchill said:

This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Hi Tim,

I nearly cried for you when I read your post. I suppose I have a fear that a similar thing might happen to me.

Then I remembered the rhyme we used to chant as children ,"He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day". That is what you did and you will walk over the Pyrenees some day. If I meet bad weather I too will go back to SJPduP

Seeing as you did not meet anyone on your way down, all the other pilgrims, except the ones you mentioned, must have set off earlier than 8.00 a.m.

I did not attempt the Pyrenees in 2007 because I did not know any french. I have now got a a book and cassette and am trying to learn a bit. I see now the wisdom of learning enough to be able to make sense of a written weather warning.

I have been really inspired by your sharing on another thread of how you are losing weight. That takes a lot of self discipline.

Buen Camino,

Lydia

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Skshin...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012.

As you can see, there is a growing number of Forum regulars and new pilgrims starting the Way this year. I would offer that there are ten times that number who are "lurking".

Time for you all to enter the conversation and join in a community that helps make the Camino become a reality.

Burn Camino,

Arn

Hi,everybody! I am so grateful for this forum! I've been lurking for a couple of months and all you posters have been so helpful (even with the contentious stuff - boots/shoes, one stick/two sticks/no sticks/poles, water bottle/bladder, foot care, and on and on.)

I'm Helen from Calgary, Canada and will be walking the Camino Frances from mid/late April to early June 2012. I plan to start at SJPP and eventually finish in either Finisterre or Muxia -- the Camino will provide the destination.

I'm booking flights now. Debating between flying in and out of Paris or Madrid but am leaning towards Paris. I've been to both before so that's not a factor; is one city easier than another for this trip? I had considered Barcelona and San Sabastian, which are also favourite cities but travelling to/from there is probably too complicated/expensive, yes? What do you experienced peregrinos suggest? Also, where can I find train schedules that I would be able to read? I am uni-lingual, sadly.

Thanks, folks. Many more messages to come!
Helen

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My 2012 Camino is now firm :) Flights have been booked to Madrid arriving in the early hours of 8th May 2012, with a departing flight from Madrid to Munich 5 July, plenty of time for the Camino France , and maybe Camino Portugal as well? or some volunteer time in a hostel or two (any suggestions are welcome :)

my most important task between now and May is to break in my hiking shoes, unfortunately my last pair only managed 2 caminos and finisterre, with no blisters!!!

I am looking forward to meeting some of the class of 2012

Frank

ffp13 said:
Hi all members of the class of 2012

My name is Frank I am a early retiree of 56 YO from Melbourne (Franks-town) this will be my 3rd Camino Frances :) I am not sure what the attraction is that has me wanting to do the camino again, and probably again later?

My dates are not yet firm but I am expecting to start from Roncessvale about mid May , flying from Oz via Beijing to Madrid or Barcelona depending on the best airfare deals available? so far Air china is winning plus I can have a stopover to walk a bit of the great wall :)

I am hoping also to find a volunteer hospitalero placement for a week or two? If I can't find a place to volunteer I may cosider waliking the Portuges route from Porto after i complete the french way

I am looking forward to meeting some forum members this time, as I met none in 6 weeks walking 2011, so please purchase you forum badges and put them on your pack :)

to get me in the mood I may just sit down and watch "The Way" Legit bluray copy I purchased in Spain on my last camino

cheers

Frank :p

Hi Everyone,

Well here goes with my first post. I've literally just booked my flight into Biarritz on the 20th of April and plan to start walking from St Jean Pied de Port on the 21st. Not sure yet how much time I can take off work but should be able to walk for 14-18 days and also not sure how far I'll make it in that time. Ideally, I would like to make it past Burgos and spend a day or two walking the Meseta maybe even make it to Leon but don't know how optimistic I am about making it that far. I'll just have to see how much time I can take off work before planning any sort of itinerary.

I'm 36, from Ireland and already do a good bit of walking but can't say I've walked 30+ KMs too often.

Better buy some hiking shoes and start training! :)

Buen Camino,

John

Hòla amigos!

After reading the posts from all the peregrino heroes at the forum, I am almost embarrassed to admit that I am planning to walk only the last stages of the Camino Frances, from Sarria to Santiago. I will be walking during the first week of May this year, together with a good friend. Both of us are totally new to the Camino.

I have several questions:

- We will be flying from Oslo/Copenhagen on Sunday April 29th, and we plan to start walking from Sarria on Tuesday May 1st of May, reaching Santiago on Saturday 5th of May. We haven't decided if we will fly to Porto, Madrid or Barcelona. Is there a good way of getting from Porto (Oporto) to Santiago - by bus or train? If so, how long will it take?

- I am thinking about spending some days in Barcelona after walking the Camino. Is there a safe way to store some extra luggage in Santiago while walking the Camino?

- I read that the 1st of May is a "big" holilday in France. Does that go for Spain as well? How long does this holiday last? Should we expect full-booked hostals/albergues during this holiday?

- Is it recommended to order rooms/bed reservations in advance, since this is the most crowded part of the Camino Frances - or can we count on finding suitable solutions along the way as we go?

I am very excited about this trip! I know it's almost nothing compared to what many of you guys have done... I have never walked this kind of distance, and I don't know how it will work out. But I consider this a start on the Camino part of my lifelong pilgrimage (towards eternity?) Maybe I will come back and do other/longer parts of the Camino in the future.

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes to all of you from Ola (Norway)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Helen John and Aslan,

Welcome to the Forum. I hope all goes well with your training etc.
John, there seems to be lots of young Irish men going for the first time this year.

Frank maybe I'll meet you as I leave SJPP on the morning of the 8th , but will overnight in Orrison

Buen Camino to you all

Lydia

Hi Ola, welcome to the forum!
I read that the 1st of May is a "big" holilday in France. Does that go for Spain as well? How long does this holiday last? Should we expect full-booked hostals/albergues during this holiday?

- Is it recommended to order rooms/bed reservations in advance, since this is the most crowded part of the Camino Frances - or can we count on finding suitable solutions along the way as we go?

May 1st is a National holiday, as it falls on a tuesday it is possble that Spaniards will take the Monday off and make a long weekend of it, this could mean a busy weekend but, as you plan to start on the Tuesday, this should not affect you. There are plenty of albergues between Sarria and Santiago, you should find no problem with accommodation so early in the year. It is not possible to book albergues.

It is possible to leave luggage in Santiago, if you do a search you should find a thread. (I'm technologically challenged so I can't post an URL, I'm not sure that's even the right expression!)
There are buses from Oporto airport to Vigo and busses from there to Santiago, I'm not sure of the times but there are a few. There is an hours time difference between Spain and Portugal, Spain is an hour ahead. I seem to remember that the journey from Porto to Vigo took about 2 hours, not sure.
Buen camino
Sue

Hello fellow pilgrims!

I've finally stopped dithering and bought my plane ticket to Madrid. I should be arriving in Seville on the 9th of April and start walking the Via de la Plata on the 10th. This will be my 3rd Camino, the other two were on the Frances. I'm going with a friend, we walk well together, so if you see a tallish English female (with forum badge) and a shorter Canadian female, do say hello!

Buen Camino one and all...

Sandra :arrow:

Gracias, Sulu! :)

I have the unfortunate habit of snoring - not voluntarily, of course. But having read about how annoying this might be for other tired peregrinos in the albergues, I am considering the options...

How much does a single bed or twin bed room in a hostal or private house usually cost, breakfast included?

Thanks in advance!

Buen Camino!

Ola

Hello everyone!

The Camino has called, I listened, and I am planning mid-June start in Leon with my 68 year old sister. The training has begun and I can feel my life changing already.

I have enjoyed reading all the valuable info on the forum.

CatherineAnn

My brother is 68 and is still doing caminos! Have a great time. Take it easy early in the walk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Sulu,

Rooms are usually twin rooms and the price can be from €18 to €30 for the room, usually with its own ensuite or as high as you like to go,if you fancy staying in a Parador.

It sometimes includes breakfast but usually does not.

Hopes this helps,

Buen Camino,
Lydia

I am from Melbourne, Australia and plan to walk from Leon as I can only afford 3 weeks of leave. It has been in my head for a year or so and now I have decided to start the Camino by the 3rd week of 2012. I am meeting someone who did the walk late last year to get more details of the walk. I have also watched the movie " The Way" and found very interesting. May be I shall do the whole Frances Camino one day but am doubtful. I have already planned my next trip to Machu Pitchu. I am looking forward to this walk for personal and religious purpose. Cheers George Li.

Hello Class of 2012,

I just bought my plane ticket today! This trip has been 10 years in the making for me and my heart is pounding right now! Wow. I can't believe it's really happening!

I fly in to Paris April 29th. And other travelers coming in that day?

Buen Camino!!!
Joan :D

Re: Class of 2012 - another aspirant

Hi all, my name is Baz and I am a peregrino. Or at least I am now - I've booked my ticket from London St Pancras to Bayonne for 30 March. I've studied the forums, read my Brierley and rubbed some dubbin into my boots. Now all I have to do is panic.
I have been so impressed, possibly blessed, by the information, aspiration, hopes and the fears and doubts shared on these pages. So many people with so many reasons for doing something special. I got here by accident. On a hiking trip in the Picos de Europa I was asked if I "hacer Camino". Back home I wondered what "Camino" was. I was pleased to discover that those scallop shell way marks I'd seen around Llanes and Poo were "Camino", that "Camino" was a walk, a long walk, a journey with a purpose. And then I found that thousands have made a journey on foot through Spain every year for many years and that I could do the same if I wanted.
I have always loved hiking, the mountains and the wild bits left in the world. I have hiked and trekked for the sheer joy of the moment. This seems an opportunity to walk for a different reason and I find myself drawn to it for a reason I don't yet fully understand. Solvitur ambulando (it is solved by walking).
I used to be a public servant but my services, in that career, are no longer required. Perhaps I'll find another way to serve. Perhaps I'll meet some of you along the Way - whether we meet or not my best wishes to you all.
Baz

Hello all. I am hiking the Camino Frances in May, 2012. I am flying from Boston, USA. I just booked my airfair a few days ago. I have most all the equipment I need with a few details be ironed out. I do have a couple questions about the trains. I am leaving Bordeaux for St. Jean Pied de Port. Do you have to purchase tickets in advance or is that not necessary? Also, does Santiago de Compestela and Vigo have a connection by train? Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Another pilgrim for the "class of 2012": I'm Ana from Colombia and will walk my first Camino from SJPP to Finisterre starting on April expecting to finish mid June -no hurries at all-. I've been reading many posts here that have been veeeery helpful and that have increased my excitement (even more); Thank you all !!!

Still have one question I'm not sure about the answer. Part of my essential equipment when going anywhere is my reflex camera, because of my dedication to photography. The few recommendations I've found say one shouldn't bring one along to the Camino. I am not sure if the reason is because of the extra-weight (which I will carry happily even if I need to leave my whole stuff :D ), if it is a matter of security, or for some other reason I'm not aware of. I would love hearing your comments regarding my doubt.

Thanks, and Buen Camino to everyone !!!

anauribe said:
Part of my essential equipment when going anywhere is my reflex camera, because of my dedication to photography.
I saw several people "lugging" SLR's, they seemed nappy enough to me. Also sure their photos turned out better than mine taken on my mobile. I'll still take my my mobile next time, but the SLR users might still prefer to take their cameras along next time as well.
Buen Camino
Col

RafaVer said:
I will be doing Lourdes to Santiago April2012
Might see you on the trail. We're (Helen & I) will also be starting Lourdes - SDC in April.
Buen Camino.
Col

Love all your photos in there Tim. You must be so glad you are taking all these steps in such beautiful places.
I will follow your blog some of the time- but the rest of the time I will be away walking myself. I leave NZ for Cluny in less than three months now :)
Margaret

Hello fellow Trekkers, my name is Ivette from Puerto Rico/USA but my home has been the Middle East (Dubai, UAE) for the past 6 years. I can honestly say that I LOVE to trek, I've trekked in many countries around the world (UAE, Oman, Patagonia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka) to name a few and climbed a couple of mountains (Kilimanjaro, Fuji, Elbrus). I discovered El Camino de Santiago about two weeks ago while watching an interview with Martin Sheen and Emilio on TV about The Way. I immediately downloaded the movie and believe it or not have watched it three times. :D I will be taking an 8 month sabbatical this coming March wherein I have Nepal and Bhutan treks scheduled and now El Camino. After watching The Way I have added El Camino Santiago to my list of treks/walks. I plan on doing the walk in September. Why September? It was the same month that The Way was filmed and I prefer the cooler weather. I of course will be prepared with rain gear :? . This will be a unique adventure for me as I am normally in the company of a guide and I plan on walking the Camino by myself. But then again, as so many of you have noted.....you never walk alone. :)

Arn said:
William...welcome to the Forum...OOPS, er well, welcome to the Class of 2012!

Great to hear you and your wife will be on Camino this year.

Please let us know of your impressions as you walk the Way.

All the best,

Arn

Arn

Sorry not to reply earlier but I have been stuck in bed with some flu bug.

It will be some time since our last Camino to Santiago but we are trying to do it once every decade.

I'll try and give my impressions on how things have changed over the years.

William

PS Arn You may have noticed I started this thread and I was keen to keep your "Class of ...." threads alive even when you were not around.

€46,-
Having now booked Orisson for September, I'm happy, excited - and somewhat terrified, to be honest! To all the fine people of this forum - thank you for being so supportive, inspirational and generous sharing your knowledge and experience.

Elisabet

elirin said:
I'm keeping a blog at http://www.elcamino-vagenarmalet.blogspot.com/ It's mainly in Swedish, which makes it useless to most people :oops: , but with a daily paragraph in English (as second language :wink: ).
Elisabet
Using Google Chrome as a web browser it makes a good effort at translating your blog into English with only a few words defeating it.

BlackDog said:
elirin said:
I'm keeping a blog at http://www.elcamino-vagenarmalet.blogspot.com/ It's mainly in Swedish, which makes it useless to most people :oops: , but with a daily paragraph in English (as second language :wink: ).
Elisabet
Using Google Chrome as a web browser it makes a good effort at translating your blog into English with only a few words defeating it.

Woa! :shock: David, I just tried this, and it was really, really scary! I read the text translated into machine English, and even though I know I've written it myself, I don't understand parts of it :? , and the rest just isn't - well, English... The words are there, but... Maybe my own half-bad English would be better, or I'll just stick to my mother tongue and let the cyber-space do its work. Oh, I wish I was a native English speaker, then I wouldn't have to worry! :D

Elisabet

Hi everyone, and you in particular Paddy. Another Paddy here. Well a Jimmy actually. My first time on the forum since I completed my own Camino in early October. Man what an experience!!! One gets so many things from the Camino its hard to catalogue them. Marvelous memories. A great adventure. Fabulous people. I would recommend anyone to do it. Follow any advice you can get on this forum. I did and it was all good. The one thing I will say is PREPARE properly. I deluded myself into thinking walking the dog for an hour every night was training. or pushing myself on the treadmill. I never put my rucksack on till the day I left Ireland. My God did I suffer. Never got a blister, though my daughter did. But the Pain hit me in waves for the first ten days or so. Could hardly put my feet to the ground each evening.The pads of the feet were so painfull. then I got shinsplints, which would have finished my Camino only I was advised to take anti inflametories. they were a Godsend. No body mentioned the pain on this forum. I wasn't the exception to the rule either.PREPARE properly.Having done that you will have the most amazing experience. Just wonderfull. I couldn't speak highly enough about it.
Would I do it again? For the past three months I said "not a hope". But now I find myself mellowing a bit. Plus I did actually come to the Forum, didn't I. I wonder now !!!!!

Greetings from Teresa from slushy Seattle: "We're melting!"

I have not yet formally committed myself (no flight rez) but I should be committed for the hours spent on-line and studying John Brierley's newest book on the St. Jean-Roncevalles-Santiago route.

My most probable route is Camino Frances SJPP to Santiago starting in late June 2012. Then Santiago to Finnisterre to Muxia. I work in public schools and have summers off. I have talked this up for some time and one of my colleagues has her flight booked for June 25 to Paris. We have had several planning meetings and would like to start walking together, at least over the Pyrenees and then perhaps walk separately and be open to meeting up with other peregrinos. I am also hoping that my daughter and/or son may join us. Unlikely, but one lives and hopes.

Several weeks ago I walked with the Puget Sound chapter of American Pilgrims association and they were most encouraging. There were 16 of us and most of them had completed at least one camino. At 58, I was surprised to be on the young end of the bell curve, but they certainly keep a lively pace! (I am not a slacker myself and ran Victoria and NY Marathons last fall.) They walk monthly and I intend to keep joining them. Tonight there is a presentation on the Camino de Santiago and my husband and I are going. He is interested in a shorter version another year. Two years ago we walked the Speyside long distance walk (for us about 80 miles with side-trips) in Scotland.

Reservations I have are about how busy the Camino Frances will be in late June and July and whether or not I might find that very unpleasant. I did look at Camino del Norte and am somewhat attracted to it. I want to see what the weather is like and if it is good, maybe go del Norte and if not frances. Being from the cool, damp North West, I want a respite of warmth and sun this summer, although from my running I know that I slow down a lot in the heat.

I would like advice about something I am considering. Due to other commitments, I have 5-6 weeks for walking. I do not want to rush. I would like to walk from SJPP through the Pyrenees and Basque country and through Galicia and as far as Muxia. I am considering bussing through some of the meseta areas of the camino frances. It appears on maps and in pictures that some days are spent along busy roads. In particular I am considering cutting out from Fromista to Leon about 5 days walking and 120 KM. A non-trail day looking around Leon might be welcome. Also after Leon, bussing to Astorga, about 50KM and saving two more days for including the camino to Finnisterre and Muxia. Of course, if I am making spectacular time, I might walk all of the route but if not I wonder if I am on the right track with sections to cut.

If you have read this far, thanks for your interest!

No body mentioned the pain on this forum.
Yes, we do! The advice, though, often goes ignored. Forum members do not discourage pilgrims from trying, but we try to accurately portray the fact that it is not easy. Perhaps a topic "It is not easy" at the top of Pilgrim Introductions would emphasize that a half-marathon a day for a month is not trivial task!!

Buen camino on your next one.

I am really glad to see some of the Fall 2012 folks begin to appear out here. As announced earlier, I plan on a re-do attempt in September, likely starting the first week. I have been walking almost every day for the past 6 months - on my own during the week and with a local chapter of the Bruce Trail Hiking Club on the weekends. I now find 2 hour walks short and look forward to 3 hour walks. My longest walk, which included several accents and decents of the Niagara escarpment lasted 4.5 hours. I have lost 30 lbs over the last 7 months and look to lose more before I am done. Soon I will have to change my screen name out here. I am still trying to learn Spanish but likely never will, and am improving my catchment of camino goodies (I found a silk sleeping bag that weighs less than 1/2 lb and folds into the size of a baseball).

I am interested in hearing from fellow pilgrims planning on going in the fall, and always appreciate the guideance of the veterns who monitor these threads and lend their very valuable advice.

Tim

Tim, I am planning to leave from St. Jean about Aug. 31st so I may see you along the way. I am still very overweight but am beginning to train physically, and also to learn Spanish. Jenny

Westdown said:
Hi I'm Tom from Portland, Oregon. I'll be leaving from Le Puy in September this year, going to St Jean PdP, and coming back for the second leg next year(hopefully). I posted something in a new thread as I didn't notice this one for some reason. Hope to see some of you on the way.

pilgrim-introductions/topic12408.html[/quote

Hi Tom, I am Jenny from Vancouver, Wa. I am still confused by these posts and how to track who I have responded to so I hope you will respond and I will find your response! I will be starting from St. Jean on or about the first week in September. Did you know there is a new chapter of the Am. Pilgrims of the Camino starting in Portland? Great folks, who have been a wonderful resource. Let me know how your plans are coming, it would be great to know someone who will be in Spain when I will be. Jennifer 2012

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi to all the Pilgrims
My name is Jenny and I live in South Africa. I will be walking the Camino Frances in April/May this year. The information gathered from this Forum has been of great value to me over the past few months of preparation! I am so looking forward to this pilgrimage and meeting all the wonderful people! :D

Well...the Class of 2012 is forming and in good order. Welcome to all of you!

Reading the plans, the hopes...the concerns all point to a desire to do something extraordinary with our lives for whatever the reason.

The Camino is, and will always be, different for everyone that walks the Way. For whatever reason we feel the first spark of inspiration the reality of actually attempting and completing is it's own reward.

And William, I did notice you using the original Class of 2008 thread, as did Falcon for the Class of 2013. I could say that I am humbled, though few would believe I've ever been humbled. Still, go back and read some of my entries in 2009 and humble pie is the main course, with the Camino the judge.

So, that said, I will admit I am honored to open each class.

We on the Forum have shared a bond that leaps across continents, shuns no one of good heart and cheer and holds close the hopes and dreams of all.

Saludos,

Arn

jennyb said:
My name is Jenny ..... will be walking the Camino Frances in April/May this year.
Hi Jenny,
Great time of the year to be walking. A great and wonderful adventure lies ahead. May see you on the road.
Buen Camino.
Col

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello!

Joining the 2012 group. I leave San Diego on March 26th to go walk the Camino. I love Spain, have been there many times, it is the first place I visited in Europe as a young girl - and it keeps bringing me back. One of my best friends now is from San Sebastian and I've been fortunate over the last several years to visit SS many times and become part of his family there. I love the Basque country, and the people. I went to his wedding this summer during the SS festival, and it was so beautiful.

But, this is entirely different now. The first time I heard of the Camino was from a bar owner in Barcelona. I was renting out his bar for a corporate party, and had dinner with him. He told me about this walk he had done, and it made no sense to me why anyone would ever take time out of their busy life to do it. But he did seem passionate about it.

Well, it is four years later and for many reasons, now I understand. Time for me to go and experience it myself.

This site has been so helpful! Thank you to all who have contributed. Kind of a scary thing to plan for, and I'm an event planner, so used to planning to the detail. I've never been backpacking or hiking or anything like that, so this will be brand new.

I'm visiting friends in Barcelona and SS first, then start from SJPP on April 2nd. Very excited.

Hi LaurelKay

LaurelKay said:
Kind of a scary thing to plan for, and I'm an event planner, so used to planning to the detail. I've never been backpacking or hiking or anything like that, so this will be brand new.

Many, many of us are not experienced backpackers or hikers. It's not necessary. You're doing the right thing checking out the advice here as you prepare. However once the flight is booked and your kit is packed the time for detailed preparation or planning is over. You'll walk out of the door in SJPP, start walking in the direction of Santiago, and several weeks later you'll arrive. What happens in between you'll work out along the Way.

Buen Camino!

Hi, I'm Arlene and I live in the desert southwestern part of the US. I have been researching the Camino Frances for about 6 months now. I am planning to start my Camino in St. Jean Pied de Port mid August, 2012. Oh, before I go further let me tell you that I have never hiked before in my life and now at 63 years old, I have decided that it is about time for me to start living life to the fullest possible. Fortunately, I have a son and daughter-in-law that are endurance mountain bike racers and they both have been coaching me for this endeavor since it is definitely an endurance event (in fact they think it is pretty awesome that I am so excited about the Camino).

I have been training for the better part of the past 6 months and have now started to hike the foothills by my home. I just went to a hiking/camping store yesterday with my daughter-in-law for some pointers on what I will need to have/bring on the Camino. It was suggested that I first get fitted for a good pair of hiking boots and a backpack and to start filling up the pack as time progresses. Any suggestions for me?

I would like very much to be in contact with others who will be walking the Camino this August and September (2012) and who may be interested in training in and around the Tucson, Arizona area. Just as a note, I am retired so if anyone thinks the weather is better on the Camino Frances in September/October, please let me know - I can begin my walk any time, I'm just looking for the best weather possible.

It's good to be on the Forum, I'm looking forward to comments and help as I prepare. -

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
amourier said:
It was suggested that I first get fitted for a good pair of hiking boots and a backpack and to start filling up the pack as time progresses. Any suggestions for me?
Hi Arlene,
Welcome to the forum. Yes, good to get your footware early, get it "broken in" and comfortable. My advice would be not to "heavy weight" with the boots just good support.
You'll find a bunch of packing lists in the euipment section, along with lots of opinions. My guide lines would be: good quality, light weight, quick drying, best socks & liners you can find and resist overpacking.
You'll find numerous first timers around your age (same as mine) on the Camino. Enjoy your time of preparation.
Buen Camino.
Col

Just posted this in the 2013 thread before I realised my error :oops:

Hi, I am setting of from Hendaye on May 16th with two friends to walk on the Norte and Primitivo. Depending on the weather conditions will head up to Santo Toribio de Leibana and across to Covadonga and somehow get to Oviedo from there.

Cant wait for it to come round, I am not having to work around any time constraints, which is like my first time on the Norte. May take my tent, will try to use it a bit more this time if I do.

Buen Camino to all the pilgrims out there or who are planning to walk.

Mike

Hola Mike,
We have some thoughts about Covadonga 'sometime' and have had a look at a track that seems to go from Covadonga (to Aviles) through Villaviciosa on the Norte. Be interesting to know how good it is. Also your route from San Toribio to Covadonga.
Buen Camino
TerryB and Tia Valeria

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Valerie, thanks for your message.I have had a look at the website from Gijon to Covadonga, but forgot about the way from Aviles, so thanks for that. There is also another route to Oviedo the Gr105 someone walked it last year and documented it quite well http://www.jfcamina.es/gr-105/00-gr-105/00-gr-105.htm, still looks like you would need really detailed maps. It looks quite stunning but looks like you would have to rough it every now and then.
Good luck and Buen Camino to you and Terry for your camino this year.

Mike

Boots on the ground in Pamplona on March 9. I will be trying to stop for coffee at every opportunity, and will be anticipating pulpo in Melide for hundreds of kilometers. Aarn pack, Pacer Poles, New Balance boots, Altus poncho, and Tilley hat, so I will have international attire/equipment. Wave when you pass me!

Hi everyone! Hola!
Well I guess I'll add myself (and my husband) to The Class of 2012, as we are preparing to walk from SJPDP to Santiago in early September. As I said before.......I can't wait to be there and experience myself The Camino. Hope to keep in touch with pilgrims who are going during the same month,
Thank you!

Silvina said:
Hi everyone! Hola!
Well I guess I'll add myself (and my husband) to The Class of 2012, as we are preparing to walk from SJPDP to Santiago in early September. As I said before.......I can't wait to be there and experience myself The Camino. Hope to keep in touch with pilgrims who are going during the same month,
Thank you!

Hi Silvina,
I'm planning on walking from SJPDP myself during late August or early September. Just trying to find out the best time weather wise. I sure do hope we meet along the way. This will be my first time ever - not only on the Camino but also hiking! I'll be leaving from the southwestern part of the US, most probably alone, so I am looking forward to making some friends before and also along the way.

colinPeter said:
Hi Arlene,
Welcome to the forum. Yes, good to get your footware early, get it "broken in" and comfortable. My advice would be not to "heavy weight" with the boots just good support.
You'll find a bunch of packing lists in the euipment section, along with lots of opinions. My guide lines would be: good quality, light weight, quick drying, best socks & liners you can find and resist overpacking.
You'll find numerous first timers around your age (same as mine) on the Camino. Enjoy your time of preparation.
Buen Camino.
Col
Thanks for the advice Col.

Do you think it will be safe enough for me to travel by myself? It seems my Camino "Buddy" has gotten cold feet and will not be travelling with me after all.

amourier said:
Do you think it will be safe enough for me to travel by myself? It seems my Camino "Buddy" has gotten cold feet and will not be travelling with me after all.
Hi Arlene,
Yes, I would consider it safe for a woman to walk alone, just using basic common sense travel wisdom. I would be comfortable with my wife or daughter walking the Camino Frances it alone.
I think you'll find you wont be alone for long.
Buen Camino.
Col

falcon269 said:
Boots on the ground in Pamplona on March 9. I will be trying to stop for coffee at every opportunity, and will be anticipating pulpo in Melide for hundreds of kilometers. Aarn pack, Pacer Poles, New Balance boots, Altus poncho, and Tilley hat, so I will have international attire/equipment. Wave when you pass me!

Good Luck Falcon, don't you just wish you had 8 legs :lol:
Yes wish I had a Aarn Pack, but us for 2 weeks will re-use an oldie macpac.

Have been asked to talk about our pilgrimage @ our church AGM in June, the Camino comes first, & before all that making of the Bell Tower Louvers for 'love'. Have to get everything in the correct order...........

I acquired a two-wheel, hands free pull cart for when my knees are shot! I just need to test it extensively in the U.S. and then get motivated to wrestle it around airline baggage. With trekking poles, I am up to 4 legs. Adding the two wheels will get me to six. Eight legs might entail hiring a porter.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
amourier said:

I am a 61 year old female who walked the Camino Frances alone in Aug and Sept of 2011. I speak English with only a dozen or so words of Spanish or another language. Never did I feel uncomfortable, let alone fearful, during my journey. Remember that Albergues usually require you to be inside, behind locked doors, by around 10:00 pm. And if you stay elsewhere, you're ready for bed by then anyway! I was as comfortable walking the Camino as I am walking my neighborhood at home. I found I really enjoyed walking alone more than with people, though I welcomed people to socialize with in the evenings, usually over laundry or dinner.

Buen Camino
Pal

pal said:
I am a 61 year old female who walked the Camino Frances alone in Aug and Sept of 2011. I speak English with only a dozen or so words of Spanish or another language. Never did I feel uncomfortable, let alone fearful, during my journey. I was as comfortable walking the Camino as I am walking my neighborhood at home.
Buen Camino
Pal

Pal,
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I'm beginning to lose any fear that I had originally and am looking forward to "My Camino". Can you make any suggestions for what I should be carrying with me?
Again, thanks again for your input!

Hi RitaRed, I am starting my journey from SJPdP in May 2012 as well. I am a first timer too and can't wait.

RitaRed said:
Planning to walk the camino frances in may 2012, anyone care to join me?
I'll be starting in St. Jean-Pied-du-Port.
Could use tips, I've never done anything like this before.

Silvina, Amourier

I will be walking the Camino beginning in St Jean in early September as well. I have not booked my flight tickets yet so I still have some flexibility. There are some pros and cons on what day to start the walk. Make sure you get your practice walks in :D

Tim
http://www.timscamino@blogspot.com

Silvina, Amourier

I will be walking the Camino beginning in St Jean in early September as well. I have not booked my flight tickets yet so I still have some flexibility. There are some pros and cons on what day to start the walk. Make sure you get your practice walks in :D

Tim

Hi Tim !

I visit your blog http://www.timscamino.blogspot.com/

Be careful with your hike training,
don't hike a camino before your start on the real track
You have about twenty weeks to be able to walk 6 hours each day

My wife and I, we are in the same case. We will start on june for the second time on the camino francès.

We are preparing this trip like this :
- Twice a week we walk one hour
- once a week we have a longer hike about 3 hours.
- Every week we will add 10 minutes to the duration of this longer hike and we will be ready in the end of may.

I'm too fat so I don't eat any sugar, neither drink any wine or beer. I hope lose 5 kg before the begining of the camino.

If you need informations, you can read our blog (sorry for my bad english)
- http://alaquarelle.wordpress.com/category/stevenson/
-http://alaquarelle.wordpress.com/category/saint-james/

Silvina, Amourier

Tim

Tim,
I've read your blog, nice job! I am still trying to decide when to begin my Camino - mid August or the beginning of September. Can you give me some insight into the pros and cons?

My son is an endurance athlete and he is training me for the Camino. His recommendations are train every day; go hard then have a light, recovery day (like your long hike and then the short hike the next day); once a week go real hard (in my case he means long distance and length of time since the Camino is not a race) - then every week thereafter add time and distance to the real hard day, but most important is to have those recovery days. He also suggests some core strenghtening exercises so I will be able to carry the backpack without issues. This week I will purchase a good pair of hiking boots (I'm currently using trail running shoes) and begin to break them in.

I also have a blog where I am recording my training efforts, check it out if you like.
http://arlenemourier.wordpress.com/2012 ... pdate-iii/

Arlene

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My son is an endurance athlete and he is training me for the Camino. His recommendations are train every day; go hard then have a light, recovery day (like your long hike and then the short hike the next day); once a week go real hard (in my case he means long distance and length of time since the Camino is not a race) - then every week thereafter add time and distance to the real hard day, but most important is to have those recovery days. He also suggests some core strenghtening exercises so I will be able to carry the backpack without issues. This week I will purchase a good pair of hiking boots (I'm currently using trail running shoes) and begin to break them in.

I also have a blog where I am recording my training efforts, check it out if you like.
http://arlenemourier.wordpress.com/2012 ... pdate-iii/

Arlene[/quote]

Hi Arlene! The photos on your blog make your training walks look beautiful. As a 58 year old woman who trained and ran a couple of marathons last year, one thing that I learned about is the importance of rest days. As we age our bodies can still do amazing things like marathons and caminos of 500 miles BUT they are slower to rebuild and recover than that of your endurance athlete son (who is probably in his twenties or thirties). Listen to your body and when it keeps nagging about fatigue or aches that don't go away, give it a day off. Cross training is good also whether biking, swimming or the elliptical machine. Jeff Galloway, who is in his 60ies and was an Olympian runner has written helpful books on training for marathons and walking. Good luck with the training. I will follow your blog eagerly.

Also, if the hiking boots don't suit you, consider that many folks walk the camino with suitable shoes such as good trail running shoes. I bought good hiking boots for an 80 mile walk in Scotland two years ago and they were comfortable BUT I ended up using my trail runners instead and never regretted the choice.

Buen camino, Teresa

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.