• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2013

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
susanawee said:
Good afternoon all - have just returned from my first 'long walk' as part of my preparation for my Camino next year......this one today, was only 12ks but I managed very well, although I have not yet progressed to carrying much in the way of weight as yet.....planning to do a few walks with my pack and my boots on during the coming weeks.
Cheers and looking forward to reading more posts from Class of 2013....Susanawee

Well done! Once I had made my decision, which happened very suddenly, I immediately took to walking a lot! It is now too hot here in SW France for walking so, I have been swimming 30 lengths every day - is that going to help me? IMHO walking a little every day will help - and gradually adding bags of sugar to the backpack!! Perhaps we will meet? Karin

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Everyone,

PLEASE HELP!

This is going to be a topic I have not seen much info on. I am Handicapped, my back and neck have injured disks and I have had two surgeries on my back...

I have tried but I can not carry a pack successfully so I have been looking into Jogging enclosed strollers to help me with my belongings. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good waterproof easy to manipulate up and downhill stroller in the US that might be under $300.00? I know this is an unusual question but I am positive this is my answer to being able to accomplish my adventure. I have seen a few in this sight but they are outrageous in cost.

Thank you!
Leslie Edmiston

Re: Class of 2013 - handicapped

Good afternoon all,

I also have issues not unlike yours, having undergone two lots of surgery on my upper spine (neck area) and also have quite a damaged right hand, plus Degenerative Arthritis through my spinal column, but, I have travelled in the past three years with a backpack - correctly fitted and adjusted for my height etc. For my Camino next year though, I will be carrying a new, lightweight pack which is 48litres - what I can't fit in this pack, I will not be taking. I am determined not to let my health issues 'get the better of me' - this walk is a goal I have set myself to help me through facing up to what, eventually for me WILL affect my mobility sooner or later.
Best of luck with your research and hopefully you will find lots of help and assistance from this wonderful forum.
Regards, susanawee

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
ornarywomn said:
Hello Everyone, PLEASE HELP! This is going to be a topic I have not seen much info on. I am Handicapped, my back and neck have injured disks and I have had two surgeries on my back... I have tried but I can not carry a pack successfully so I have been looking into Jogging enclosed strollers to help me with my belongings. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good waterproof easy to manipulate up and downhill stroller in the US that might be under $300.00? Thank you! Leslie Edmiston
Hi Leslie!
Sorry to hear about your problems, but you will still thoroughly enjoy the camino! I hope someone will reply to your query - I have no experience of "Jogging enclosed strollers" whatever they may be. However, do consider the possibility to having your heavy gear transferred daily to the next night-stop. Many folk do this. Then all you need carry is water and emergency gear.
Good luck with your planning: I always think the planning is a major part of the overall enjoyment!
Buen camino!
Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

If you can find a used Chariot carrier, they make a hiking kit that would convert it into a covered equipment trailer. It would allow you hands-free operation for use with trekking poles (to give you a bit more pulling power). The equipment new is above your budget, unfortunately. Garage sales and eBay may lower the cost.

http://www.rei.com/product/705794/chari ... ng-cts-kit

Hello,
Thank you so much for your help, the chariot carrier from REI is an excellent idea, I am a member there and I found it only $125.00. I found a Joovy Cocoon for $440.00, a little more than I wanted to pay but it is only 20 inches wide and the item suggested will work great with it thank you.

I am very prideful (my one and only sin, NOT) and as for sending my baggage ahead every day is not an option for me due to the ever strong will of mine. I have to do it or I will feel like a failure. Who knows maybe my pride will be something I will overcome during my adventure.

Leslie Edmiston

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That saying when you have the money you don't have the time and when you have the time you don't have the money has stopped me from throwing my hat over the fence or into the ring more times than I care to admit. Not this this time, Im going to be in this and not watch it in the stands or on the sidelines. My husband said "time" is the factor why he can't make the trip, no problem. I will be firming up my travel dates very soon as using ff miles can be hit or miss, hopefully this far in advance won't be a problem. I'll be going May June time frame. I know walking my dog daily doesn't really register as active, nor ex-runner, but I can be ready. I'm looking forward to hearing and the possibility of making connections before I leave. If Shirley MacLaine can do it in her 60's so can I. (I'm reading her book. The Camino, a journey of the spirt.

Hi Victoria! You're gonna like the Class of 2013, welcome aboard! I'll offer a few platitudes that you'll likely hear again, but hopefully they'll reinforce your decision. First off, Attitude IS everything, and yours is in the right gear. Second, the hardest part of any big decision, is deciding to decide. You can check that one off the list, too. And thirdly, there are as many of us "sixty-ers" on this forum as any other age group, so yes, you can, and I'm sure will, get yourself ready.

BTW, love your home town. Our oldest daughter lived there for a couple of years and visiting her there was always a highlight of the year.

Again, welcome aboard!
Farmer John
A Hopeful Pilgrim

Hello I'm from Bulgaria, Sofia . I'm planning to walk early June 2013 , starting to buy gear already.
I am happy to be part of this Forum.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just saying Hi now as I hope to join the Class of 2013 also. I posted on the introduction forum and got great responses and advice. We are forming a small group, passing the word at my singles group from church, and the community news, hoping to have some good company for the trip. As I am also planning the first part of June, I may see some of you who are planning on the same time frame. I am waiting until school is out, as my teenage granddaughter wants to go, but then this is this week...teenagers get priorities changed. I am looking at the Portuguese route, although advice has come for the Ingles one. I am just starting my serious research. All input is welcome.

Hi all, I'm thinking of walking from September 2013, maybe from Arles. It's part of a year and a bit off I'm planning when my latest job finishes in June. Kids have left home, I've saved a bit, and I have a bookcase full of books on walking long distance. Time to stop reading about it and do it.
I'm an atheist but I find my spirituality in walking and being, instead of spending my days "doing". Look forward to meeting some of you on the way.

Hi Karen,
I also plan to begin my Camino in Late August/early September - I am travelling from Western Australia. Hope to see you along the way at some point.
As far as my training is going, I now have my boots and backpack and shall be doing some long walks with both during the coming months. Did enjoy a lovely 14k walk yesterday, sans any sort of weight on my back just yet. Cheers Susanawee

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi 'snej'!

Welcome to the Class of 2013! Where are you starting to walk the Camino from? Maybe see you on the way.

Buen Camino Karin living in SW France

Larazet said:
Hi 'snej'!

Welcome to the Class of 2013! Where are you starting to walk the Camino from? Maybe see you on the way.

Buen Camino Karin living in SW France

I am thinking of SJPDP, but I have to think of ways to get there. I look forward to early June.
I'm happy to see you.

Buen Camino

JMiller said:
I may begin my first Camino pilgrimage (Frances) in 2013 -- but I may also delay it three additional years -- the extra time would allow me to save funds that would allow me to take a two month leave of absence from my school and walk the Camino either in the spring or fall rather than the summer -- hard decision to make !

I have also promised my brother to walk with him in 2021 - the next holy year - if he goes with me on my first Camino -- maybe he will, maybe he won't -- time will tell. Heck, I may go then anyway as that year I will hit 30 years of service teaching and I intend to retire (at 55) then do something else with my life - seems a good way to hit the 'reset' button between careers. That year my daughter will also finish high school, so I may have a companion regardless.

I am hoping to walk my first Camino in late August of 2015 as my daughter will be off to college for her Freshman year and my son will just have graduated from college. I thought it might be just the perfect way to enter the 'empty-nest' years. It will put me at 58 years of age, but God willing, I will do it!! Buen camino!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
MMMoffitt said:
Hi! I am Mary Margaret from Raleigh, North Carolina. I will be walking my first Camino in June 2013. I love this forum. I think of the Camino every day.

Hi, Mary Margaret! I'm Jill from Charleston, SC. Best of luck with your Camino planning. I'm hoping for late August of 2015 as I will be entering the empty-nest years. I'm considering doing some 'training' on the Appalachian Trail. Have you done that?

Buen Camino...
~ jill

I'm considering doing some 'training' on the Appalachian Trail
That is a good idea. You will see how your boots react to varied terrain such as you will find on the Camino. Once you remove all that camping gear and food from your pack, you will feel like you are walking on air in Spain!

Hello great people I was at the San Fermin Festival (Pamplona) in 2003 and met so many nice,friendly and helpful people many with bacpacks with shells didn't understand significance of Camino at the time.Now almost 10 years later i am understanfing why they were that way. feeling that I will be spiritually lifted I have become almost obsessed with planning this first week of October 2013. I hope to hear from many of you in the 13 months till my Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My husband and I are planning the end of Sept. into Oct. of 2013. I understand the
obsession. I can't read enough about it. Hope to meet you . buen camino.

My wife and I are in the early stages of planning a Camino starting in early September 2013, and celebrating my 70th birthday along the way. We haven't decided if we'll start at SJDPP, Roncesvalles or Pamplona, or perhaps do the Portugese Way starting in Porto. A lot will depend on how our preparation and training over the next year goes. This forum is a big help in planning the pilgrimage -- thanks to everyone who contributes.
Buen Camino...

Hi I'm a newbie and am planning a walk in Sept -Oct 2013 and am undecided which walk to do.
I was in Europe last year for the first time on a 45 day cruise and decided after seeing so many beautiful places that I wanted to see more than jump out of a cab take pictures and jump back into the cab. I told myself I wanted to walk and take my time doing this and then the movie with Martin Sheen came out and now seem to be obsessed in doing the walk.
Just wanted to say hi to all and wish you all safe travels.
Dave

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello from Chicago,
Yes. I'm in. I'm going in 2013- either May or September. I'm walking for my mother and sister who I lost in 1996 and 1999; a day doesn't go by that I don't miss them. My sister died at 40; soon I'll be 50. The younger sister becomes the older sister. I felt the pull to do something extraordinary; for both her and I. I will walk for her, to share her love for travel and adventure and walk for myself to rediscover my courage and joy.
I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions about time of year? May or Sept? Virtues of both?
I'm also not sure if I can do the entire walk in one trip. I may only be able to get max of 2 weeks off from work. So, any suggestions on which segment to do with limited time?
Thank you all!!
MaryJo

Hi, I hope to walk sometime in 2013 - I have started preparing and hope to learn what is necessary from the forum. I am 69 and will be walking alone.

Hello Hazelmarie,
I am turning 65 next year and my walk is planned fto start in the last week in August/first week in September.......Welcome to the forum and best of luck with all your preparations. Maybe we will pass each other along the 'Way".
Cheers...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hazelmarie,

Great news on your deciding to walk the Camino...you will be in great company. Last Sept. and I October, I met many brave, older women (70's+) traveling for the first time on such an adventure. After striking up a conversation with two women from Australia, they departed ahead of me; it was a struggle for me to keep up their pace.

My advice is to go at your own pace, stop when you need to, and have a good time.

Kudos to you and buen Camino.

hazelmarie said:
Hi, I hope to walk sometime in 2013 - I have started preparing and hope to learn what is necessary from the forum. I am 69 and will be walking alone.

I walked alone in my 60's and it's the best time you'll ever have. Late sept is a great time, the weather is cool, but it might turn to cold before you finish. I hiked with a day pack and bought what I needed as the weather turned. Remember pilgrims have been walking this trail since the 4th century. There are stores, probably some of the same ones that served them. Don's sweat the small stuff.

Hello from Western Australia,
We too are planning for our first Camino during September & October 2013. We are both in our 60's.
We don't like the heat and have been thinking that perhaps we should start around 9th September.
We have started to get our gear ready and walking longer distances each week. We will start at SJDP.
I have found the forum really helpful and have learn heaps.

Having search the net I came across the Camino Downunder site. I attended a course in Sydney (Camino Downunder) which really inspired me.

We are looking forward to the journey.

Gary & Eileen

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello! I just traded in my air miles and will be starting from St. Jean on April 18th. I live in San Francisco and am looking for walking partners to train with. If you live in or will be visiting my area and would like to get a good walk in let me know!

Hello from Southern California! I have been lurking and learning for a while now. My partner and I will be walking the Camino Frances in September/October 2013 beginning in SJPP. I am in my 50s, my partner is in her 40s. We are not experienced hikers/backpackers, but we are veteran marathoners so we know what it's like to train and persevere for a goal.

Hope to meet those (like Cejanus, two posts above) who will be doing their pilgrimage at the same time.

Buen camino!

Hi Trish - I am walking in April and looking for a friend to walk with. I'm a 43 year old female from San Francisco and my son really doesn't want me to go alone. I already traded in miles for my tickets so I'm a bit locked in on dates. I will start from St. Jean on April 18th or 19th 2013. Let me know if you are interested and we can exchange info.
Trishkerry said:
Hi,
I am planning to walk or ride the route in 2013 (1st time). I would prefer to walk it but my partner is not happy about me embarking on the journey alone (he cant join me for medical reasons). I havent fixed a date yet but Im hoping that by next year I willl have found someone to walk with me or to have convinced my man that its safe to walk it alone.
Trish

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, my name is Orlando. I am originally from Puerto Rico, but spend a significant amount of time in the continental United States (DC). In middle age, I am gifting the Camino to myself, as a period of reflexion, introspection, and is part of a major restructuring of my life. It is not a mid life crisis thing. It is more of philosophical process and physical challenge all rolled into one.

I know a couple of persons that have done the Camino (one just completed this summer), and I like what they shared. It seems like this process, this journey, will open new insights for me.

Besides, I've never been to that northern Spain....I am well traveled. In that process, I have learned that the journey matters more than the destination. My fairly firm plan is to walk from SJPDF mid-April. While I relish spontaneity, I believe in preparation. I have been doing quite a bit of research. I plan to travel light, and do things simply during my Camino.

I am a Gay man. It is an important, though not exclusive, definer for me. I get along well with most, and seek to enrich my life as I do the same for others. I believe the Camino will present a new opportunity to do just that.

Good planning does not mean you won't be spontaneous. The planning can reduce anxiety for an easier start. Once you are on the trail, you will know when to deviate from the plan. I live outside DC, so I can provide some resources if you are interested -- old copies of Brierley's guide, for example.

Buen camino!

Hi Orlando
My niece and are are also leaving SJPDP mid April hope to see you along the way.

We attended a Camino meeting at the Spainish Club in Sydney, Australia last night and were advised to make a booking in Orrison now , for an overnight stay ,as it fills up quickly ,does anyone know if this is necessary ?
And if so the correct /current form of communication for doing this , is it best in French ,or will English be fine ?
thanks in advance

Tess and Lisa
Australia

Hi Tess and Lisa

I had all intentions of attending the meeting last night - hope to make the October one.
Was the meeting helpful?
If all goes well I shall be starting in May 2013...........Bev from Sydney Australia

Bevey Ann said:
Hi Tess and Lisa

I had all intentions of attending the meeting last night - hope to make the October one.
Was the meeting helpful?
If all goes well I shall be starting in May 2013...........Bev from Sydney Australia

Hi Bev
Nice to make contact , that was the 2nd dinner we have attended ,it is fun and we have found out something worthwhile each time as in booking ahead for the first few nights ,maybe see you there one night .
Tess

Hi, my name is Alan. I come from New Zealand but live and work in Seoul, South Korea.
My plan is to walk from SJPdP to Santiago starting in mid June 2013. My wife Colleen, plans to join me from Sarria.
I came across "The Way" while I was flicking through the entertainment channels on a flight home. After watching it, I knew I had to do it!" The Camino has become my 50th birthday challenge.
Although we live in the middle of Seoul we fortunately live on the side of a mountain covered in bush. It has many walking tracks some of which are very challenging. Thankfully the weather is getting cooler and the heat and humidity is dropping.

Buen Camino

Alan

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
HI, My name is Corey Haas, I am from Bellingham, WA and I am going to start in France. I will be traveling in June of 2013 and I am really excited to do this journey. I am currently in nursing school here in the states and want to do this walk before I start my new career. Any information would be very helpful! Thanks and looking forward to my journey

Joni40 said:
Hello Class of 2013!
My name is Joni and i live near Tampa Florida. I heard about this pilgrimage about a year ago and after seeing the movie "The Way" decided that this was how I wanted to spend part of my summer next year. I teach nursing in a local college and so have to finish my semester and then i will be ready to go-probably around May 15th. I spend lots of time on this forum and it's been so great to read and really exciting to see all of the info shared. I already have a pack, and other gear and so am pretty well set. now for the wait!

Hello Joni,
My name is Connie and am from Gainesville Florida. My sister and I (she is an RN as well and lives in Wasihington state) are doing the Camino starting from Sarria in April 2013. We've been planning for almost a year and feel our journey really began back then. I too have been buying some gear although our stores in Florida seem limited to water adventurists, so most buying done online (REI). All the best to you as you plan your trip.

I'm Cathy from Houston and will walk my first Camino from SJPP to Finisterre in mid-May 2013.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all
My wife Catherine and I will start our Camino F on April 20, 2013 from STJDP to Finesterre. This will be our second time having completed the same route in May 2009 although that time we finished at Santiago. Cant wait and hope to see lots of you on route. Dont forget to get a badge for your pack.
If you are interested Catherine put together some daily notes of our first Camino on our blog site walkingtotheend.com
Ian

Hi all,
I've been enjoying this site for several years and now am ready to start a Camino walk. My wife and I hope to join friends on the Camino Portugues in June 2013 starting at Porto. Our original plan was to do the Camino Frances in Sept. 2013 but feel a desire to join our friends first. We are retired and have time to spare so after Camino Portugues we hope to find an inexpensive apartment to rent while we practice/learn Spanish until Sept 2013. We then hope to start the Camino Frances and finish by November 2013. We are fairly fit and 60 years old but have not walked 10 miles day after day after day. Anyone have ideas about renting inexpensive apartments and Spanish language lessons? We appreciate this forum and any ideas. Thanks
Doug

Hi all, I'm Ertugrul from Izmir Turkey.
My plan is to bike-ride from Haarlem (Nl) to Santiago in Spring 2013.

Buen Camino.

kunoichiSF said:
Hello! I just traded in my air miles and will be starting from St. Jean on April 18th. I live in San Francisco and am looking for walking partners to train with. If you live in or will be visiting my area and would like to get a good walk in let me know!

Hi there KunoichiSF,

I am also from the SF Bay Area and also plan on starting my walk in April 2012 !!! My plan is to start from Pamplona on April 2nd :)

So far I have been accumulating some supplies when I see them on sale at REI. I have also been taking training hikes about twice a week. I did a 10.5 mile hike at Wunderlich Park in Woodside yesterday.

Do you have any favorite hikes in the Bay Area? I just started hiking this year, but I am always looking for new places to explore.

DanaRuns said:
Hello from Southern California! I have been lurking and learning for a while now. My partner and I will be walking the Camino Frances in September/October 2013 beginning in SJPP. I am in my 50s, my partner is in her 40s. We are not experienced hikers/backpackers, but we are veteran marathoners so we know what it's like to train and persevere for a goal.

Hope to meet those (like Cejanus, two posts above) who will be doing their pilgrimage at the same time.

Buen camino!

Hello Dana,

It is nice to see other Californians here. I will doing my Camino in April 2013, so hopefully I will have a detailed trip report to post when I am done.

Hi all, my name is Seamus Sullivan and I'm fresh back from the Sarria - Santiago stretch of the Camino, my better half ;-)) after seeing 'The Way' had her heart set on doing at least part of the Camino as she is starting to be affected by arthritis ( both of us in our early 50's ) so glad to report that she had a great experience, 7 days of glorious sun helped of course. I'm a regular hillwalker in Ireland so was able to lump 15 kgs in my backback to keep hers down at 5 kg to make things manageable. Since returning I've managed to persuade my boss to allow me roll up all my holidays for the next 15 months together so am planning to cover from SJPP to Santiago in 2013 starting around middle/end of May , planning on 26 to 28 days walking time but am wondering about best means of getting to start. Options appear to be Dublin-Bilboa by air then coach to Pamplona then bus to Roncesvalles and taxi to SJPP OR Dublin-London by air then London-Biarritz by air then bus to Bayonne and train to SJPP. Grateful if any Irish regulars who have used either of these options could advise how they worked out for them particularly if it is reasonable to hope to get from Dublin to SJPP in one day.

Seamus ( I used to be conceited but I'm perfect now ) Sullivan :wink:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Greetings from Minnesota! I'm Larry and am scheduled to walk from Leon to Santiago next April. I will arrive Santiago in late April. I intend to walk to celebrate and show my gratitude to God for my extended life on this earth. My beautiful wife will join me in Sarria and we will walk hand in hand in triumph onto the Cathedral Square. Join us if you can.

Hi Seamus
Went from Dublin to SJPP last June in one day. Take the Ryanair flight fromDublin to Biaritz and then the bus to Bayonne train station. The train will take you directly to SJPP and you will get there around 7.30pm.
Buen Camino
Terry

Just wondering here, do I need to apply for a Schengen Visa if travelling from Australia.....I am a tad confused about this.
Cheers Susanawee.

€149,-
We have been to Europe several times in recent years including UK, Italy, france, Spain (camino 2009) and Croatia on our Australian passports and never had any special visas to worry about anywhere apart from simple stamps at the airports
Ian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tfm said:
Hi Seamus
Went from Dublin to SJPP last June in one day. Take the Ryanair flight fromDublin to Biaritz and then the bus to Bayonne train station. The train will take you directly to SJPP and you will get there around 7.30pm.
Buen Camino
Terry

Terry

Many thanks, this looks to make things a lot more manageable, getting back from Santiago is very easy and hope to do about 15 kms on my last morning before getting my compostela and pilgrim mass before flying back to Dublin but had feared having to use up 2 days just getting to the start, will be able manage with just my 45 litre backpack as cabin luggage but my hiking poles look like they might present a problem, were you carrying them for your Camino? If so how did you find Ryanair on carrying them?

Slainte

Seamus

I am Bill from Dallas, Texas. I will be 68 when I start from Leon in the first week of May 2013.
I have been recruiting friends to make the trek with me, but so far no luck.
My wife says I can't go alone, but I figure to make friends along the way. I have already started training.

Hi Poppa G here from Victoria BC, Canada, my partner Momma T and I are planning on doing the Camino Francis starting in September 2013, we both look forward to the trek and meeting other pilgrims from all over the world.

Buen Camino
Poppa G

g'day! i walked the Via De La Plata last year, 2011 starting mid august. It was my first ever Camino, it was HOT, it was solo [apart from a very few memorable fellow travellers, only 2 of whom walked the entire length] and it was awesome. I continued on to finisterre and Muxia. Unlike a lot of people who have described the VdlP as having "boring" landscape, i love the flat, somewhat harsh vistas of the early part of the walk. I also love not having to rush to get a bed or a table at a cafe, the small aubergues & simplicity of a road less travelled. I'm now thinking about which route to take in 2013....I will be travelling around the same time of the year [August/September/October] I've been looking at the routes from Le Puy and Arles but the length and level of early fitness required of those routes[cf the VdlP where the flattish beginnings allowed you to build up fitness and stamina] is a concern as is the [higher] cost of walking substantially in France as opposed to Spain. The Camino Frances is a possibility but i am concerned about the huge numbers of pilgrims and the subsequent dash for a bed and everything else associaterd with masses of people. I will turn 60 while walking..[wow!!] and will again be "solo". Any thoughts on my "musings out loud" will be appreciated. Buen Camino, Andreas

My name is Lorraine and I am planning on walking the Camino with Suzanne in the fall of 2013. There seems to be a LOT of information out there about the Camino. It's exciting to start planning. My biggest concern is foot wear...what is the best choice...light hikers? runners? Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
See you in SJDP May 17, 2013. With brother and sister-in-law. Planning and getting equipment now. Really looking forward to two things in 2013 ... retirement in March and El Camino in May! Hope to see you all. Coming from Mass and NY :D Bob with Jack and Ellen

I'm Bill from Dallas, Texas. I will be traveling from Leon to Santiago in early May 2013. All of the posts are a great help in planning the trip. I've been recruiting friends and family to travel with me to no avail, so I will be going solo. Hope to see you on the trail.

Cathi from Nanaimo BC also a nurse and taking this spiritual journey solo.. I have been called to the Camino .. Starting June 2013 ....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola, I am beginning my 1st camino on Apr 29, 2013 St Jean de Pied and hope to finish by Jun 1 in Santiago. From the states & very excited to make the pilgrimage. I'll be solo on this trip, so I hope to meet some friendly pilgrims.posting.php?mode=reply&f=14&t=10397#

Hi my name is Kris and only was recently introduced to the Camino via the movie "The Way." As I looked more into it, reading other books and doing searches, I'm really stoked on doing the CF myself and I'm leaning towards doing this September 2013. I currently live in Bradenton, FL. I'l most likely be doing this solo.

Greetings! My daughters (who will be ten and eight) and I plan to hike the Camino Frances route from SJDPP beginning the second week of March. We're seasoned winter hikers and we don't enjoy the heat, hence the early start date. We're used to doing 8-16 steep and snowy mountain miles each time we hike (we live in the White Mountains of NH and the girls are fairly hard-core), so the cold and possible snow does not concern us (we will carry/wear appropriate clothing for extreme weather). I am a bit worried about finding a place to stay each night during the first couple of weeks though, since I hear many of the albergues don't open until late March or April. Will we always have a place, or should we carry bivies just to be safe? I'd hate to shoulder the extra weight if it's not necessay, but I also don't want to be caught unprepared. Am also trying to decide whether or not it's worth carrying microspikes/snowshoes/crampons when we first start out...we could always mail them back home when it warms up...any advice on that matter would also be appreciated. Many thanks! Hope to meet some of you late winter/early spring walkers!

€149,-
TrishAlexSage said:
Greetings! My daughters (who will be ten and eight) and I plan to hike the Camino Frances route from SJDPP beginning the second week of March. We're seasoned winter hikers and we don't enjoy the heat, hence the early start date. We're used to doing 8-16 steep and snowy mountain miles each time we hike (we live in the White Mountains of NH and the girls are fairly hard-core), so the cold and possible snow does not concern us (we will carry/wear appropriate clothing for extreme weather). I am a bit worried about finding a place to stay each night during the first couple of weeks though, since I hear many of the albergues don't open until late March or April. Will we always have a place, or should we carry bivies just to be safe? I'd hate to shoulder the extra weight if it's not necessay, but I also don't want to be caught unprepared. Am also trying to decide whether or not it's worth carrying microspikes/snowshoes/crampons when we first start out...we could always mail them back home when it warms up...any advice on that matter would also be appreciated. Many thanks! Hope to meet some of you late winter/early spring walkers!

TrishAlexSage,

You must be very excited as you plan your late winter Camino with your daughters!

Winter is a wonderful time to walk. However as you well know one must be prepared for varied weather. Nights can be extremely cold with freezing rain or snow. I am sure that you can read the sky for possible storms.

You will find the welcome at those albergues which are open to be most sincere. Not all albergues will be open but the hospitaleros usually know who is open on the next stage. Most will either be heated or have blankets. I sincerely doubt that bivies would be needed.

The municipal albergue in SJPdP stays open throughout the year. However In extreme weather the Gendames at SJPdP strongly advise/prohibit using the Napoleon route over the Pyrenees. The Valcarlos alternative stays open and if necessary you can walk on the parallel road. The Valcarlos municipal albergue is also always open.

After the Pyrenees two other sections where there might be heavy snow are the Montes de Oca just west of Belorado and, of course, going up to Foncebadon and O Cebreiro. Once you are in Galicia the weather will generally be milder with much rain.

Many Forum members have experienced winter conditions on the camino and several have written blogs. Sillydoll provides encyclopedic information on Winter Walking at >> http://amawalker.blogspot.fr/2009/10/walking-in-winter.html.
Another good account of winter walking by a Forum member is the 2010 blog http://agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.fr/ This includes Christmas dinner on the Camino.

Twice during winter caminos I have sat out true blizzards; in Villafranca Montes de Oca, February 25, 26, 2006 and FoncebadĂłn, March 5,6, 2009. You can see the snow and read my accounts at >> http://mermore.blogspot.fr/2011/04/aavmo.html and http://mermore.blogspot.fr/2011/04/aafon.html. Luckily during both storms open albergues offered welcoming shelter.

Good luck with your research and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Currently I am planning on doing the Camino Frances in late summer 2013. The decision to walk or bike it will depend on how well my training goes. This forum is an excellent up-to-date resource for planning. I like it so much that I was moved to make a small donation. Thank you to everybody for all the good tips!

Not sure if this is the appropriate section to place this question...but I was wondering if Spain's financial crisis has affected the camino experience in any way? Any input appreciated.

Patricia

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm Kim from the Chicago area and I plan on starting out from SJPDP mid-May 2013, after my children's birthdays. My baby girl will turn 21 right before I leave and hopefully will be joining me in Santiago in June. I've been planning this since April this year, after seeing The Way. Life has been difficult the last five years physically, emotionally, financially, and spiritually, and I had been looking for a way to be alone with God for many weeks to sort some things out and find direction now that my kids are all grown up. After not being able to get it out of my head, I came to the conclusion that the Camino is EXACTLY what I'm supposed to be doing. My husband is being super supportive of this, which has surprised me a bit. He's helping me train and get equipped. Looking forward to my Camino is an understatement. I can't wait to see what I will learn about myself on this journey.

We are the Chaves Clan, Rolando (dad), Gina (mom), Braden (son) and Kelsey (daughter). We are from Polk City, Iowa in the United States and we are planning to walk El Camino Frances starting on June 1st through the 30th. We are doing this for multiple reasons, including as a fund raising activity for the American Parkinson's Disease Association for which my wife and I are members of the board of directors. This is going to be an adventure and a celebration of family, and our daughter is also graduating from the University of Iowa in May before the trip.

Anyway, we are really looking forward to the walk and meeting new people on the way. Following is the link to our El Camino for the Cure Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ElCaminofortheCure

PS: we are also planning to visit Chaves, Portugal after Santiago to see the place where my family came from. Anyone has traveled to Chaves from Santiago?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, my name is Terri and I will be walking the Camino from SJPDP with my daughter around May/June 2013. I have wanted to do this for years and have finally decided to go for it.

chavesrm said:
We are the Chaves Clan, Rolando (dad), Gina (mom), Braden (son) and Kelsey (daughter). We are from Polk City, Iowa in the United States and we are planning to walk El Camino Frances starting on June 1st through the 30th. We are doing this for multiple reasons, including as a fund raising activity for the American Parkinson's Disease Association for which my wife and I are members of the board of directors. This is going to be an adventure and a celebration of family, and our daughter is also graduating from the University of Iowa in May before the trip.

Anyway, we are really looking forward to the walk and meeting new people on the way. Following is the link to our El Camino for the Cure Facebook page:

PS: we are also planning to visit Chaves, Portugal after Santiago to see the place where my family came from. Anyone has traveled to Chaves from Santiago?

A warm welcome to fellow Iowans! I'm Farmer John from Wellman and will be starting from LePuy, France in mid May 2013. Sounds like your planned schedule will keep you ahead of me for the entire Camino. My wife plans to join me for the last 110 km and we want to be in Santiago for the feast day of St. James on July 25th. Glad to find you on this Forum. It's a great site! Welcome aboard!

WayWalker63 said:
Hi to my fellow Class Mates of 2013
I thought I did this before but the server has no record of me. So I had to re-register. So here goes again.

I am Karen 61 from Jacksonville, Florida, US and I will be walking part of the Camino Frances in September/Oct of 2013. Probably about 3 weeks on the road with a couple days on either side for travel and rest. The jury is out as to whether I will have company on the journey. My sister and my son are both interested but haven't made firm decisions as yet. So I might just be a solo pilgrim.

I first heard about the Camino when I read Shirley MacLaine's book 'The Camino' years ago. Never imagined that I could do something like that. This spring I went to see 'The Way' on a whim, I was really intending to see a different movie.) Loved the movie but still never thought that I could do that. Then Saturday while eating my breakfast at Panera and browsing the internet and reading a novel on my iPad the idea that I could do this came to me almost out of the blue. Why? I couldn't say!
I have been on a mission to improve my health for the last 6 weeks or so. I was tired of being fat and I wanted to be able to fit into the clothes in regular shops on my trip to Ireland this coming October. Something I couldn't do when I went to Mexico a few years ago. I wanted to be able to move better. I not be too infirm to see all the sites in Ireland.
And so I have answered the call. I have been reading all I could about the Camino and started a training program I hope will get me ready for this journey.

Karen

If you want a few suggestions for walking/ hiking routes in the Dublin/Wicklow area of Ireland when you are here in October or indeed some company on them, please don't hesitate to get in touch, next May/June will see you leave from SJPP for Santiago having covered Sarria to Santiago on a recce walk at the start of September.

Buen Camino

Seamus

Hi. I'm Denis from Michigan (formerly from Québec) and my wife and I are planning to start on the Camino Frances at SJPDP second week of May 2013. This will be our first Camino and I'm really looking forward to it. I've been reading a lot about it and preparing for a great experience.

yambowski said:
I am Bill from Dallas, Texas. I will be 68 when I start from Leon in the first week of May 2013.
I have been recruiting friends to make the trek with me, but so far no luck.
My wife says I can't go alone, but I figure to make friends along the way. I have already started training.

Bill,
I am 71 and will be walking mid-April and solo. My wife was a little anxious at first but we wnt to see "The Way" so that she was aware of what the Camino was all about, then I showed her all the information available on this forum. She is now convinced that I will not be alone and that there will be others walking the same way each day.

You will make friends on the way - perhaps we will meet somewhere! Look out for a pack with an Australian flag and a grey haired pilgrim.

Blessings,
Rob @ Melbourne

Pathfinder89 said:
Hi. I'm Denis from Michigan (formerly from Québec) and my wife and I are planning to start on the Camino Frances at SJPDP second week of May 2013. This will be our first Camino and I'm really looking forward to it. I've been reading a lot about it and preparing for a great experience.
Hi Denis from Michigan, we'll be starting the same time from the same place. I feel the same way as you, family and friends say I'm in the obsession stage and that's so true. I hope to meet you and your wife along the trail.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
TrishAlexSage said:

Hi. Gina and Georgia (10) will be travelling in 2013. But we weren't expecting to leave till April. I was hoping to be one of the first cabs off the rank around April, but you say you're leaving in March from SJPP. Sounds intriguing... maybe we will see you?

it's been years of watching, reading, hearing, dreaming, scaring myself occassionally. I'm Regina (Gina) and I and my daughter Georgia-Rose (10) will be starting from JSPP in April next year. I look forward to meeting some of you and reading about your plans and hopes until I get on the plane and experience it myself. I will be leaving Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia, travelling to Paris, training it to SJPP and taking it all from there. I get a bit nervous just writing it down..... ♥

Hi,
I'm John from Ireland.I've started my walk this year,though dont expect to see Santiago for a while.I'm doing it in small stages at the moment,currently reached Dublin,heading for the ferry port in Rosslare. I expect that I'll start doing weekly or fortnightly stretches next year from Cherbourg. Plenty of time then for real planning !
J

Hi Jill,
I live in Raleigh so most of my training will be in my area. Since June, I've been using my bike as my main transportation. It's been a great help for stamina and improving lung function! Today I purchaed my ticket for June 2013! - Buen Camino

Hello everyone. My first post on this forum. After conquering Mt Kili and 5 adventures in East Africa Spain is calling. I am hoping to start my Camino from Granada in mid-May 2013. I am walking solo but would be interesting in catching up with any other pilgrims. I will post again closer to my departure.

Thanks to all who have posted a lot of valuable information. Regs Saint Mike II

Hi Pilgrims,

I’d accomplished Camino Frances this year. Since I will no have thirty days to walk Camino Del Norte or La Plata in 2013 I’m planning to march Camino Portuguese. I hope I shall be able to start about May 11, 2013.

So, see some of you next year.

Sincerely,
Oleg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello
I am planning to walk the Camino starting at the end of April 2013.
I will be walking with 3 female friends.
3 of us, including me, have just turned 70. We do not have enough time to walk the whole way, 5 weeks only including travel time, which will be a number of days, from the US.
Is there anyone else out there who is travel from the US at about the same time?
Any advice will be gratefully received.

Janetmary

Farmer John said:
chavesrm said:

A warm welcome to fellow Iowans! I'm Farmer John from Wellman and will be starting from LePuy, France in mid May 2013. Sounds like your planned schedule will keep you ahead of me for the entire Camino. My wife plans to join me for the last 110 km and we want to be in Santiago for the feast day of St. James on July 25th. Glad to find you on this Forum. It's a great site! Welcome aboard!

Hello Farmer John,

We might see each other because we are planning on starting from SJPP on June 1st and follow the French Way. So, there is a chance that we run into each other at some point. It is amazing when we talk to people about The Way how many people are familiar with it and would love to do it as well. Let's keep in touch and exchange tips on the plans. Where are you flying to from Iowa?

Rolando

reg2450 said:
Hi. Gina and Georgia (10) will be travelling in 2013. But we weren't expecting to leave till April. I was hoping to be one of the first cabs off the rank around April, but you say you're leaving in March from SJPP. Sounds intriguing... maybe we will see you?

Hi Gina,

Looks like our start times will prevent us from seeing each other, unfortunately. We're beginning mid-March -- if you're starting the first of April, then there's a chance we'll run into each other (you may walk faster than us and catch up to wherever we are at some point).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
TrishAlexSage said:
reg2450 said:

Hi Gina,

Looks like our start times will prevent us from seeing each other, unfortunately. We're beginning mid-March -- if you're starting the first of April, then there's a chance we'll run into each other (you may walk faster than us and catch up to wherever we are at some point).
Hi Trish,
I doubt we'll run into each other now that I have read up further on travelling in the winter... I'm not that brave. I thought George and I might bring our Camino forward a month (because I really did want to be one of the early travellers), but it's too early, and I'll stick to Early/Mid April. I look forward to reading about your journey, and I am very excited YAY

Hello to all 2013 pilgrims!

My name is Shawn and I'm originally from Ottawa, Canada but have been living in Sweden with my Spanish wife Carlota for the past 12 years. We are now in the planning stages or our first Camino sometime in May or June however, it all depends on when my wife can get off work. We are so looking forward to meeting as many of you as we can along the way. Our plan is to leave from SJPdP and to do a combination of tenting and albergues.

Buen Camino!

Currently I am planning on doing the Camino Frances in late summer 2013. The decision to walk or bike it will depend on how well my training goes. This forum is an excellent up-to-date resource for planning. I like it so much that I was moved to make a small donation. Thank you to everybody for all the good tips!

Not sure if this is the appropriate section to place this question...but I was wondering if Spain's financial crisis has affected the camino experience in any way? Any input appreciated.

Patricia

Patricia,

I just finished walking the Camino. There is no sign whats-so-ever that Spain is in a financial crunch while walking on the Camino. In fact, it is the exact opposite. The people are extremely friendly, even to a pilgrim like me that spoke no Spanish - and once you are in Santiago - especially after 7 pm - the streets are jammed with shoppers and people sitting at the cafe's. I took the bus to Finisterre and also from Santiago to Madrid airport - there is no a pothole in sight and the roads are in very good condition. So if you did not read the papers, you would not know there was any issue at all. In fact, one would think that they are in an economic boom.

I have to agree with Tim, I walked in Aug./Sept. and we remarked that unless told, you would never believe that Spain was in financial difficulties. The Plazas are full to the brim every evening, regardless of where you go, and it appears to be mainly Spanish people. As Tim mentioned, lots of people shopping, carrying bags, so they are buying.

The infrastructure that Spain has, and has probably cost them a fortune, is top notch in my opinion. Wonderful highways, very efficient and extensive subway systems in the large cities to move the people. Everywhere you go, they are constantly cleaning and repairing their centuries old buildings, which, once again....must cost millions of dollars each year, but obviously, that is important to them and their heritage. I wonder if down the road, some of this might get cut back due to budget restraints. Would be a shame, but something will have to be done.

If you take all of the Pilgrims off the Camino Frances, I think a lot of the small businesses, which are Mom and Pop run, would be lost...and that would be an even bigger shame.

Hi, I'm Manuel. I'm a noob to this forum and I'm planning to do the french Camino starting on the 26th of April of 2013, in SJPP. Hope to see some of you guys there! Thank you for this wonderfull forum, so full of usefull information. Hugs from Portugal.

VictoriaThomas said:
Pathfinder89 said:
Hi Denis from Michigan, we'll be starting the same time from the same place. I feel the same way as you, family and friends say I'm in the obsession stage and that's so true. I hope to meet you and your wife along the trail.

Victoria, hope to see you too on the camino in May. My wife also thinks I'm obsessed with this trip but she's coming around and is beginning to look forward to this. I've bought a new smaller pack and I'm reading a lot about the trail. Now I need lots of training and walking to prepare over the winter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everyone! I am planning my trip to walk from paris france allllll the way to the end of the camino and film it in it's entirety with my 11 sd 8GB cards and my trusty Canon Rebel T2i (quite proud of it)

I am a huge noob at planning my trips and this will be my very first adventure out of canada. I hope to make many friends and have a great time on the camino and am looking forward to learning as much as I can from everyone here!

I would hope to start in may or a month or 2 early just so there will be a bed at a hostel along the way since i believe it gets quite busy in the warm months. 8)

-Wayfarer-

Hi I'm Flynn from Australia. I'll be parting with everything I own (besides a backpack) and doing the camino on the 6th of Feb 2013.

Has anyone had an experience doing the Camino at this time of year?

Hello from California. I am planning my first pilgrimage on the Camino Frances, leaving from St. Jean in mid-Sept 2013. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of "A Pilgrim's Guide..." by John Brierley so I can really begin planning. I know I will receive excellent info from this site and look forward to asking questions and gaining info from what others write.

Denise

luvtraveling said:
Hello from California. I am planning my first pilgrimage on the Camino Frances, leaving from St. Jean in mid-Sept 2013. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of "A Pilgrim's Guide..." by John Brierley so I can really begin planning. I know I will receive excellent info from this site and look forward to asking questions and gaining info from what others write.

Denise
Hi Denise! You'll have a great time.

Think about the time before you leave as 'preparation' rather than 'planning'. If you plan too much it will all go to waste once you meet a group of friends, get a blister, find a town you like etc. Go with the flow.

Preparation on the other hand is very important - good boots, rucksack, training (if needed) etc. If you turn up in St Jean with the right 'stuff' you can just start walking and make your plans on a day-to-day basis!

Do check out that first night if you plan to break the walk to Roncesvalles in Orisson or Valcarlos, though. Once beyond Roncesvalles you're free as a bird as pilgrims have more options and spread themselves out more.

Enjoy! Buen Camino! :D

Hi all, although I promised myself to keep a low profile here...I'm back...;-)
Last week I got the green light for another sabbatical of two months next year in April and May ( like I already had three months in 2012 ). So thank you dear boss and belgian social security system for making this possible!!
Plan is to get on a flight from Brussels to Zaragoza and then depending on weather : Bus to Jaca and then Aragones and in Puente la Reina on the Frances. Or Ruta del Ebro from Zaragoza to Logroño and then Frances.
We will see, not much planning for the rest just start to walk and train and in my case make another appointment with the pedicure...;-)
Spent some money in 2009 and 2010 on good equipment so don't need to invest in that no more...

Hi folks,

as it seems (in my head) I´m in the end of the mental planning and will soon switch over to the actual preparation. The thoughts are repeating "25ish of May and Logrono" as a starting mantra. For sure I´ll wait until christmas before buying any plane tickets - you never know with these Mayas and their ancient Filofaxes :D

// J

€149,-
My daughter walked from Sarria to SDC in 2010. She brought me back a Camino T-Shirt along with endless stories of her experiences - and she planted a seed. The next year the gods dropped a rock on my head and made it clear I needed to focus more intently on my spiritual journey. A few months later I saw "The Way" and the path openned up before me. I had to do the El Camino.

While I had never been fond of hiking, I realized I needed to get in shape and accumulate some experience if I was to undertake a long pilgrimage. After a few initial and painful treks, I found that I've fallen in love with simply placing one foot in front of the other. I'm now hiking every weekend, having some amazing experiences, nurturing my soul and learning how to care for myself on the trail.

I'm 64 and will be retired in a few months. I plan to set out on the VDLP in March 2013 and take two months to get to SDC and hopefully Fisterra and Muxia. My impatience grows daily!

Buen Camino

Bonjours everyone ;) my name is yan and i'm from québec city, canada. I just found this forum and decided to join in. I am planning my journey on the Camino Frances for next may/june and it will be my first experience doing so, I am 33 years old and traveled a lot already around the world but mostly for work/music festival without having time to fully appreciate each places/peoples in length, I took a year off from work to relax and enjoy the simple thing in life.

I am quite excited and hope to cross path with some of you ;) I am currently building my own little blog to prepare and document things, and started to buy gear, I got my pilgrim passport already from a local association in my city.

Krinum said:
Bonjours everyone ;) my name is yan and i'm from québec city, canada. I just found this forum and decided to join in. I am planning my journey on the Camino Frances for next may/june and it will be my first experience doing so, I am 33 years old and traveled a lot already around the world but mostly for work/music festival without having time to fully appreciate each places/peoples in length, I took a year off from work to relax and enjoy the simple thing in life.

I am quite excited and hope to cross path with some of you ;) I am currently building my own little blog to prepare and document things, and started to buy gear, I got my pilgrim passport already from a local association in my city.
Buen Camino! If you're musical yourself and can take a reasonably light instrument such as a uke or mandolin you'll be popular in the albergues! Others may disagree, but it just depends on your audience, I suppose.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Everyone!
I'm Erica and I'm from Austin, Texas. My momma has been wanting to do the Camino for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately, my father has Alzheimer's and she is the main caregiver for him and has been for 10 years. Earlier this year, she very seriously told me that next year was the year 2013. My father is progressing and he isn't going to get any better, so it's time. She asked me to go because she doesn't think she can handle my dad by herself. He isn't violent or aggressive, but he does get disoriented and wanders, which is why she needs the second pair of eyes, ears and legs. Our plan is to go end of April or start of July. I am taking a career break and do the walk and then maybe travel some more for a the rest of the year. Both my mom and I are a little worried about how my dad will do, but I think that is what life is about, pushing through our comfort zone. Physically, he's probably in better shape than both me and my momma, plus deep down inside, my dad has always been an adventurer and a traveler so this is right down his soul's alley.
He's excited about the prospect, though we do have to remind him every couple of minutes. Buen camino to all of those out there now!

Erica

Hi Erica! I hope and I'm sure you'll all have a great trip.

Remember all the ways that your Camino can be flexible, such as hostals as well as albergues, getting taxis to pick you up and drop you back on the route if it would be more comfortable for your Dad to stay in the same place for several nights. It will be amazing!

Buen Camino!

Hi everybody!!

Greetings from Sweden! I'm canadiandude's wife and just wanted to say hi to everybody! I'll be walking with Shawn in 2013 at some point. Just wanna join in and chat with you all and hopefully meet you along the way!! :)

Peace and love!!

Carlota :)

Hi..Dave from Alberta(Barrhead) and I plan to do the camino (starting at St Jean) in late September/October. Looking for ideas on how to get to St Jean Pied du Port from Canada - fly into Paris or Madrid?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.