• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2013

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Hola! Buenas Tardes!
I'm David from Ireland.
I'll be making my third visit on the camino this May.
I have been taking my time by splitting the walk up over three years :)
This May I will be starting on the 26th from Logrono and finishing at Leon on the 8th..or there abouts :)
Hope to talk to some of you soon!
David

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello,
I plan to begin my first pilgrimage in late May 2013.
I welcome your suggestions.
Buen Camino,
Peter

Hi All,
I'm LarryD from Cambridge, Massachusetts and I'm planning my first pilgrimage for Sept. 2013. I'll be doing the Camino de Frances from St, Jean to Santiago. I'm also considering continuing and walking the Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia route.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Am planning on walking some of the Camino with 2 friends in Sept/Oct 2013.
Haven't figured out yet how to post a profile but am working on that.
See you on the trail i hope !!
Judy

I have been reviewing maps. by far the best planning map is Brierley's Guide to the Camino. I bought National Geographic's map of Northern Spain. Surprisingly it does not go coast to coast. It picks up on the second stage in the Brierley book at Espinal. I am going to put together a packet for grandchildren containing the Nat Geo map (marked with routes/villages/cities listed in Brierley) along with info from this site to include elevations, stage planning, and planned RONs (Remain Over Night). I'm hoping this effort will result in some learning as well as a desire to participate in future years.
Available on the web is "Travelblog" which can include prose and pictures of the adventure, which may be easier than sending many emails with attachments to friends and family following the trip.
Unquestionably this forum has been critical to me, and all the folks who continue to give advice and counsel are wonderful. I wish we could have a huge meeting at Finisterre for a beer or something. Semper fi.

I am starting next week from Pamplona with my daughter. Hope to make it to Leon by the 11th before I have to head back to Barcelona. Really looking forward to the experience. :) Tim K.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Camino Dreams

Intention Announced...New Boots broken in...Training in
Earnest...Commitment Solid...Why does it still seem like a dream?
A little over 5 months to go, and still need to figure out how it's gonna happen; no answer in sight.
I try to keep the doubts at bay, but each day seems to bring them closer to the surface...until I remember to breathe...and trust...and DREAM.

5 years as a secret desire; 2 years defending my sanity to my best friends; 1 year since confessing my plan to husband and the relief of his full support; 4 months of gathering equipment for a 'someday' Camino; and yesterday...I'm GOING!!!!! SJPP > Santiago May 2, 2013.

Now the panic sets in. How will I ever be ready in time? Is this normal?http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/posting.php?mode=reply&f=14&t=16001#

-Cheri from South Texas, Y'all.

CheriTX : That makes at least two South Texasn on the trail. I depart SJPdP on May 5 for Orisson.
Best wishes for your success. Pablo 1775 from Harlingen

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey everyone!

I plan to post a longer welcome on the main thread, but I will definitely be part of the 2013 class. I plan to start from SJPdP around the 27th of March. I hope to see some of you on the trail!

Tyler

CheriTX said:
5 years as a secret desire; 2 years defending my sanity to my best friends; 1 year since confessing my plan to husband and the relief of his full support; 4 months of gathering equipment for a 'someday' Camino; and yesterday...I'm GOING!!!!! SJPP > Santiago May 2, 2013.

Now the panic sets in. How will I ever be ready in time? Is this normal?http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/posting.php?mode=reply&f=14&t=16001#

-Cheri from South Texas, Y'all.

Hi Cherie

Congrats on taking all the hard steps on the road to your Camino, if you have your shoes/boots and backpack bought then everything else is really just like deciding what sprinkles to put on your dessert. Make sure your footwear is well broken in if not already done and that you get used to hiking with your backpack loaded with your camino load between now and departure. After that it's just a case of accepting that the nervous thoughts you'll have are common to nearly all who embark on this wonderous voyage of self discovery.

Buen camino

Seamus

zilla.kzilla said:
pilgrimgini said:
Hello, Fellow Pilgrims. We (Mike and Gini) are taking the Camino starting April 16 - tickets and most gear ready and we wait impatiently. We'll enter the Camino at Pamplona. Just look for the 2 oldest pilgrims and it will be us. Mike is 75 and I a youthful 72! Remember, it is neither a forced march nor a marathon and it will take as long as it takes!

Mike and Gini, I hope to start from Roncevalles on the 17th but may decide on Pamplona if the weather is still bad. We may be starting at the same time from Pamplona. I'll be celebrating my 71st birthday on the 17th so no, you are definitely not going to be the only people in their 70's. Hope to see you on the Way!

Karin

From another Karin starting her Camino mid May, who will also just have celebrated her 70th birthday - it is only a number apparently!

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Greetings to my fellow 2013 travellers. I'm feeling strangely calm after having just booked my flight from Vancouver, Canada for early September. Perhaps the calm comes from acting on the dream of walking the Camino ... and because my husband, whose poor health necessitated cancelling plans to travel last fall, is now well and will join me in London at the end of my journey. Unfortunately, my daughter, who was to be my companion last fall is not able to join me this year (for all sorts of wonderful reasons), but I will leave the thumbnail photo of the two of us as it is because she will, in many important ways, be travelling with me.

Thanks to those who sent kind messages when I turned to the Forum last year to express and share my sadness at having to cancel. And thank you as well for the wise words that suggested I consider it not a cancellation but rather a postponement that somewhere down the road may be viewed as part of the journey.

Feeling ever to grateful ....

joanfromcomox said:
Greetings to my fellow 2013 travellers. I'm feeling strangely calm after having just booked my flight from Vancouver, Canada for early September. Perhaps the calm comes from acting on the dream of walking the Camino ... and because my husband, whose poor health necessitated cancelling plans to travel last fall, is now well and will join me in London at the end of my journey. Unfortunately, my daughter, who was to be my companion last fall is not able to join me this year (for all sorts of wonderful reasons), but I will leave the thumbnail photo of the two of us as it is because she will, in many important ways, be travelling with me.

Thanks to those who sent kind messages when I turned to the Forum last year to express and share my sadness at having to cancel. And thank you as well for the wise words that suggested I consider it not a cancellation but rather a postponement that somewhere down the road may be viewed as part of the journey.

Feeling ever to grateful ....

Hello Joan from Comox

You will have great time, an experience you will never forget

My wife and I walked the Camino Frances route way back in 2007 and I returned to Spain in 2011 to walk it again. In between we have walked a number of other trails. Next month we leave to walk the Via de la Plata. So this "camino thing" gets into your blood.

On a side note, are you aware of the Vancouver island camino gathering March 23 in Victoria?

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
jmcarp said:
Hi Dave,
I'm also from Denver. My wife and I will be a couple of weeks ahead of you. We're doing the Camino Frances starting in mid-August and plan to be done by the end of September because we have to be in Texas for a couple of reunions in mid-October.

I don't know if you're aware that there's now local chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino. See http://americanpilgrims.com/about/local ... range.html In addition to some local hikes, they have a mentor program to offer personal advice about planning and packing for the Camino.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for this resource! Any little bit of information or fellowship would be greatly welcome!

Buen Camino!

Dave

Hi There, Thanks to Bozzie ( DeeAnn ) and Mspath ( Margaret ) for the sound advice. I am walking quite a bit and hope to increase the pace and inclines later on. I just found out that I have another hernia that will have to be dealt with first, I just had one repaired in December. If I am not able to make it this year then maybe next year,lol.
I plan to stay in SJPDP for a couple days and also to stop at the Orisson on the 5th of Sept . My idea is to take my time and go as far as I feel comfortable with each day. I do not have any time constraints to make me rush. I hope to learn some Spanish before I go and to enjoy the country. I have been to Spain several times and have always enjoyed it, especially San Sebastian.

Hi There: My name is Sonya and I live in Canada. I had the wonderful opportunity to walk part of the Camino last year. Last May, I walked from Burgos to Santiago over a period of about 3 weeks. I enjoyed the experience so much that I am contemplating the option of returning this year and walking the path from SJPP to Burgos. I am in the process of making decisions and feel inspired by this website. It is such a great thing to have and very interesting to read all of the stories. So, on that note, I wish all of you well in your planning and walking. Cheers! Sonya

http://www.thetravellingpsychologist.com

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Re: Re: Class of 2013

flyswatty said:
Hi There: My name is Sonya and I live in Canada. I had the wonderful opportunity to walk part of the Camino last year. Last May, I walked from Burgos to Santiago over a period of about 3 weeks. I enjoyed the experience so much that I am contemplating the option of returning this year and walking the path from SJPP to Burgos. I am in the process of making decisions and feel inspired by this website. It is such a great thing to have and very interesting to read all of the stories. So, on that note, I wish all of you well in your planning and walking. Cheers! Sonya

Hi Sonya, im flying into madrid on 1 May and getting the bus to Burgos and walk from there to Santiago in 3 weeks. I'll be arriving Burgos mid afternoon, do you recommend a particular hostel? What was it like to start, did the lifestyle take much getting used to? Im excited byt cautious starting in a city. Thanks. Craig :)

Hi, I am Lily from Richmond, British Columbia, Canada. I just booked my flight to Paris and train to SJPP for May 22nd. I also have my bed booked at L'Èsprit du Chemin! Wow, I guess it's really happening. I am looking forward to meeting all the peregrinos/peregrinas along the way. :p :D

Hello Pilgrims,

I am James Tien moved from Taiwan to Canada since 7 years ago. Currently heading to Spain on 26th and will be on Camino on the Easter Sunday. Depends on weather condition we will have to decide whether to start at SJPDP/Roncesvalles or Pamplona.

I have been under water reading lots of discussions and information for a while and also notice there is not a whole lot information in Mandarin, also the official language in Taiwan as in China. Along my preparation I start to translate and post on a blog and Facebook page which hopping is helpful for whoever has hard time reading English, although there is a Google Translate. I guess you all do not need it :)

Blog - http://blog.yam.com/caminodesantiago
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/西班牙聖地牙哥之路/164397017043938?sk=info

Buen Camino
James

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi one and all ,
My wife has decided to join me on my 2nd camino, which is no mean feat on her part
as she suffers from Parkinson's disease , I'm so proud of her determination and she inspire
me on a daily basis . We are starting in Tui on the 15th of April , if anyone is around Tui
On the 15th please say hello , also does anyone know what the weather is like in mid April
Thank you
Ricky & Rose x :D

DragonLily said:
Hi, I am Lily from Richmond, British Columbia, Canada. I just booked my flight to Paris and train to SJPP for May 22nd. I also have my bed booked at L'Èsprit du Chemin! Wow, I guess it's really happening. I am looking forward to meeting all the peregrinos/peregrinas along the way. :p :D

Oh Lily, what have you let yourself in for? :wink: Amongst others you'll be sharing L'Esprit with 4 from the Emerald Isle who all independently of one another are starting from St Jean on the 23rd.

Have a good flight and see you on the evening of the 22nd and at breakfast on the 23rd.

Buen camino

Seamus

Last September my wife and I walked the last 250km to Santiago. This year Mary and I along with Austin and Pauline Patterson are starting at St Jean on Monday 27th May and walking to Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
supersullivan said:
DragonLily said:

Oh Lily, what have you let yourself in for? :wink: Amongst others you'll be sharing L'Esprit with 4 from the Emerald Isle who all independently of one another are starting from St Jean on the 23rd.

Have a good flight and see you on the evening of the 22nd and at breakfast on the 23rd.

Buen camino

Seamus

Hi Seamus, thanks for your greetings :) I had noted that you are set to start on the same day. It will be nice to break fast with you on the 23rd. You appear to have an aggressive schedule planned while I plan to take the time I need as this is my first Camino. See you in SJPP :p

Hey Craig (old soldier):

I was having problems posting response to your inquiry but think I figured it out. sonya

Oldsoldier said:
flyswatty said:

Hey Craig (old soldier):

Thanks for your response to my post. When I started my walk in Burgos, I arrived at the municipal hostel at around 12:00 and was able to get a bed. It did fill up the night that I stayed there. I don't believe that you can book it but it is quite large if you want to take a risk. It was very nice and probably one of the bigger places you will stay in on the Camino. Friends of mine stayed at the Alberque Davina Pastora. I believe that it is small (16 beds) and my friend said that it was lovely. One option if you are worried about finding a place on your day of arrival in Burgos (given that you are arriving in the afternoon) is to just book a small pension in Burgos that is close to the path. It might cost more than the albergues, but at least you will have peace of mind that you have a bed and don't have to spend a lot of energy when you get to town trying to search out a bed. I believe that you can't book the municipal/public albergues but you might have luck in booking a bed in a private one. I just don't know if private albergues would allow you to book so far in advance. When I booked a bed in a private albergue, it was always the day before. Hope this is helpful.

Hi Sonya, im flying into madrid on 1 May and getting the bus to Burgos and walk from there to Santiago in 3 weeks. I'll be arriving Burgos mid afternoon, do you recommend a particular hostel? What was it like to start, did the lifestyle take much getting used to? Im excited byt cautious starting in a city. Thanks. Craig :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

flyswatty said:
Oldsoldier said:
flyswatty said:

Hey Craig (old soldier):

Thanks for your response to my post. When I started my walk in Burgos, I arrived at the municipal hostel at around 12:00 and was able to get a bed. It did fill up the night that I stayed there. I don't believe that you can book it but it is quite large if you want to take a risk. It was very nice and probably one of the bigger places you will stay in on the Camino. Friends of mine stayed at the Alberque Davina Pastora. I believe that it is small (16 beds) and my friend said that it was lovely. One option if you are worried about finding a place on your day of arrival in Burgos (given that you are arriving in the afternoon) is to just book a small pension in Burgos that is close to the path. It might cost more than the albergues, but at least you will have peace of mind that you have a bed and don't have to spend a lot of energy when you get to town trying to search out a bed. I believe that you can't book the municipal/public albergues but you might have luck in booking a bed in a private one. I just don't know if private albergues would allow you to book so far in advance. When I booked a bed in a private albergue, it was always the day before. Hope this is helpful.

[

On my first day, I was both excited and a bit nervous. I did it by myself so at the onset, I was not quite convinced that I would meet people. Well 6-8 hours later, I found myself drinking wine and having dinner with a group of fellows from Seattle. We spent time in the same places over the next 3 days before we lost track of each other. .

Hello

I am a newly retired guy from St. Louis, Missouri, USA looking forward to my first Camino in August 2013. I plan to hike the SJPdP to Santiago route from mid-August through late September. I am new to hiking, but am a long time, long distance bicycle rider.

BTW - I am looking for any advice on how to get from Pamplona to SJPdP. I posted an invite for other pilgrim(s) to share a taxi from Pamplona the afternoon of August 14th. Looking forward to the journey and meeting some of you along the way.

Be well,

Bob

Attachments

• DSC01319 (2).jpg
    DSC01319 (2).jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 2,489
Hi, everyone. I'm from near Toronto, Canada, and I've just "crossed the Rubicon", having booked my flights and first night's hostel in Sevilla. I'll be walking the Via de la Plata starting Sept 19th (or 20th depending on jet lag). I've been doing a lot of planning over the past many months, and, as with each of my previous caminos, have found the forum and its members extremely helpful. There are good suggestions on just about everything under the sun. Thanks for everyone's generosity and sharing of ideas!

The next 6 months will be filled with anticipation and considerable impatience! Hope to see some of you on the trail. Just look for a grey-haired gent wearing a Tilley hat!

Buena suerte,
Dick

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dave.Martinez said:
jmcarp said:
Hi Dave,
I'm also from Denver. My wife and I will be a couple of weeks ahead of you. We're doing the Camino Frances starting in mid-August and plan to be done by the end of September because we have to be in Texas for a couple of reunions in mid-October.

I don't know if you're aware that there's now local chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino. See http://americanpilgrims.com/about/local ... range.html In addition to some local hikes, they have a mentor program to offer personal advice about planning and packing for the Camino.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for this resource! Any little bit of information or fellowship would be greatly welcome!

Buen Camino!

Dave

Thank you so much for posting the link for the Denver area pilgrims! I'm planning to attend their Camino de Santiago Shell Ceremony in April! What a wonderful blessing to be able to meet fellow pilgrims and hear their stories!! We are walking in July and August on the Norte and the Primitivo! Thank you for all of the wonderful advice here!
Pokey

Dave[/quote]

Thank you so much for posting the link for the Denver area pilgrims! I'm planning to attend their Camino de Santiago Shell Ceremony in April! What a wonderful blessing to be able to meet fellow pilgrims and hear their stories!! We are walking in July and August on the Norte and the Primitivo! Thank you for all of the wonderful advice here!
Pokey[/quote]

Hey Pokey, I will see you there at the shell ceremony next month. I leave Denver 30 APril and I'm walking the Camino Frances starting in SJPdP on May 3.

Stella

georgiesmom said:
Hello, I'm Karen (age 52) from Michigan, USA. I am planning to walk the Camino in autumn 2013. I am currently overweight and in a diet and exercise program that will help me to become fit enough to make the journey by that time. I have wanted to walk the Camino for a long time but knew that my physical condition wouldn't permit such a thing, and since I'm getting older it's kind of a "now or never" situation. I have already lost 20 pounds (about 9 kg) and I'm pretty excited about becoming ready for this undertaking.

I hope to learn a great deal from the people in these forums. Buen camino!

Hello Karen,
I feel as you do, "now or never" and I, like you, have lost a ton of weight getting ready for my camino on the Camino Catalán and Camino Aragonés in the fall of 2013. It's been wonderful, I swear! The process and the results are both terrific -- enjoying the training (long, sometimes tough walks I would never have taken otherwise ) and finding again the spring in my step I used to have 20 or 25 years ago. Imagine what we'll find on the trek itself!

Best of luck to you and to all walking their own Camino in 2013!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
clearskies said:
Hola! Buenas Tardes!
I'm David from Ireland.
I'll be making my third visit on the camino this May.
I have been taking my time by splitting the walk up over three years :)
This May I will be starting on the 26th from Logrono and finishing at Leon on the 8th..or there abouts :)
Hope to talk to some of you soon!
David

Hello David,
I'll be starting at Montserrat, near Barcelona, in September of 2013, and plan to walk until my feet tell me that it's time to stop. I may make it as far as Burgos (via el Camino Catalán and el Camino Aragonés, up and over the Pyrenees, linking up to the Camino Francés at Puenta la Reina), or I may decide that enough is enough somewhere along the route. What do you think? Am I being too ambitious or do you think that such a trek is possible in 2 and a half months? I'm good to go right now, but I don't know if I'll be so enthusiastic once I've started...

Yours, Laura

Karen...I too over weight , 59 and I am going to walk the Camino. I have been trying for months to loose the weight..(I think I messed up my metabolism last time) and I have only lost 10 pounds...short the 40+ I felt I needed. But I have been walking..did 14 miles and hope to be able to do 18 before I leave for Spain in 5 weeks. It is now or never...Buen Camino!

Cate - My words of wisdom ... Do It! I hiked it with my daughter in April '12. She had just finished medical school. It was a great experience, for both of us. Like most who post, I could go on (with the positive benefits of the journey) forever. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Falcon! Ibe been trying to contact you by email using the message system in this forum but for some reason the message wont go through.

I saw a post today in FB and I was wondering if you could add me to the calendar?

I arrive SJPDP April 15th.

Gracias

Yareli

Yareli

22 days to go!!! We expect to hold for maybe as much as 2 days in Pamplona (jet lag, a few purchases, etc) and then we are off! :D as I tell our disbelieving friends, it is neither a forced march nor a race. When we finish we'll be finished!

Hi there,

I've just done as you suggested by posting a personal introduction on the forum that informs folk of my plan to walk the Camino Frances in May/June 2013. My preparations have been helped enormously by the contributions to this forum and I would hope to share my experiences and advice with future pilgrims in due course.

James O'M

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Only 10 days to go before my friend Louise and I set off on our first Camino. we depart the UK on the 8th and begin our walk on the 9 th APril from SJPdP. We know we will Not be alone but would love to hear from others who will be there at the same time.

Sarah, Louise

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the camino calendar link, you'll be able to check which other forum members are starting their caminos on the same date as yourselves.

Regards

Seamus

Thank you Seamus, I am just starting to get the hang of this! I checked the link and there are a few other people starting out the same day from SJPdP. It's starting to feel very real now.
Sarah

€60,-
Sarahandlouise said:
Thank you Seamus, I am just starting to get the hang of this! I checked the link and there are a few other people starting out the same day from SJPdP. It's starting to feel very real now.
Sarah

If you click on the names on the calendar you'll be able to check their postings and send them a private message if you feel they'll be good company for your 1st days on the trail.

Feeling jealous that you'/re starting so soon, I've still 54 loooooonnnngggg days before I arrive in St. Jean, hope yours days on the camino see the sun shine warmly, the cerveza nicely chilled, the cafe con leches hot and the bed bugs on vacation. :wink:

Buen camino

Seamus

Hi everybody :)

I'm Inger, 32 year old Norwegian walking The camino for The first time.
2. may from Ponferrada.
SOO EXCITED!! :D

Hope The weather brightens up - my weatherforcast har shown raindrops for weeks!

Rain? In South Texas it's a historical event. I'm not certain we would recognize it!
You will love the Camino. Best wishes!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello Everyone,

My name is Eric and I am joining the Class of 2013. I am a 45 year old French canadian from Québec city.
I will be starting my Camino on April 28th from Arles. Planning to go all the way to Santiago hopefully. I have up to July 9th to do the trip.

I first came across the Camino during a trip in northern Spain some 10 years ago. Since then, it has slowly worked it's way in my mind as something I wanted / needed to do... sometime eventually. About a year and a half ago, my wonderful wife encouraged me to start planning my trip and to set a date to it. So we set it for the spring of 2013.
I am grateful to my wife for this wonderful opportunity she offered me as she will be tending to our 3 year old daughter and our home while I pursue this dream of mine.

This forum has been a great help in my planning stage and I hope to come across some of you during my journey.

Buen camino / Bon chemin

Eric

My name is AJ and I will be starting the Camino Frances at St Jean Pied de Port on April 2. I am 32 years old and have backpacked 27 countries in the past 4 months. I am an experienced hiker and outdoorsman from the USA and am eager to meet other peregrinos. I will walk the frances and finisterre. Anyone want to join? The more the merrier. Guys, girls, old, young - all are welcome and I am very social and outgoing. I am also an avid yogi and vegetarian. Non smoker.

Whatsapp +66 81 107 8041
Email ajaerni1@gmail.com

Buen Camino! Be well. And namaste.
-AJ

Exciting times: Only two weeks till my departure! On the 15th of April I will arrive in St. Jean-Pied-de-Port to commence with the Camino on the next day. Anyone here also starting that day?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi!...My name is Neil. I am 66 and I leave from St John's Newfoundland on 3 April and will probably leave SJPP on the 5th or 6th. I have given myself six weeks to reach Santiago and the intention is to take it nice and slow without blisters, tendonitis, crying for my mother, or too many stressful physical or mental problems. It will I am sure be an adventure, as nothing ever goes according to plan with me, but I look forward to supping soup with some good folks along the way and hearing your tales.
We are in for a tough time weather wise at the outset as the Napoleon is closed with snow and there is a great deal of flooding on the first week's journey in Spain.
Bien Camino and save the bottom bunk for me please!

Hi I am Hans from Cape Town SA, i will be leaving SJPDP on May 1 2013 and planning to be in Santiago by May 31.

Hi. I'm Dennis. Freshly turning 66 and ready to transition to my next phase. I'm intending to start the camino in late September, beginning in St. Jean. Looking forward to meeting you on the way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm Donald from Florida and I live in France nine months of the year. I just booked a flight from Bordeaux to Porto with Ryan Air, it's much less expensive and a lot faster than trying to connect on trains or buses across Spain. I plan to start the Camino Portugues from there on 7 jul and complete my route with 4 additional days to Muxia. I finished the Camino Frances last year on 20 juin but the constant, dismal rain in Galica kept me from going beyond Santiago. That's my excuses to go back and take another bite of the apple :)>

dbjordan said:
Hi. I'm Dennis. Freshly turning 66 and ready to transition to my next phase. I'm intending to start the camino in late September, beginning in St. Jean. Looking forward to meeting you on the way.
Hello Dennis! Farmer John from Iowa here. If you spend much time on this forum, you'll get to meet quite a few of us "sixty-sixers". Welcome Aboard! As of yesterday, I can now say "I'm leaving for my Camino NEXT MONTH". On 13 July will be flying to Paris, training to Le Puy, and walking to Santiago via Lourdes. Time is flying by.
Welcome to the Family!
FJ

Clicked "submit" before adequate proof reading :( Should have said ": On 13 MAY, will be flying to Paris------------------------------

Hello to all,

I've been planning this trip for two years now, I mentioned it to my brother and he agreed to go with me. I live in North Carolina and he lives in Texas. We both look forward to our departure to Spain on the 12th of April 2013.

We will walk the French Route starting in St. Jean... and hope to finish before the 23rd of May or we may not make our flight back. We've been preparing for many months, both physically and spirtually and are as ready as we're going to be considering we are about a week and half from this great pilgrimage. We've been talking about it to all that will listen. The response has been amazing which just makes us that much more excited.

We're both maried and empty nesters, and owe a great deal of gratitude to our wives for supporting us as we do this pilgrimage together. We started a blog and hope to blog as often as we can. Feel free to follow along with us.

http://2brothers1camino.com

We look forward to meeting as many pilgrims as the good Lord allows. We're both fluent in Spanish and expect to learn as much from El Camino as from our fellow pilgrims.

Buen Camino
Ed and Sam

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone,
My pen name is Memere (grandmother to 10 and great-grandmother of 1)...my name is Paulette and I reside in the US beautiful state of NH. I am 66 years old and plan on doing the Camino Frances between August 1st and October 3rd. The wonderful man in my life, Dave, will be with me for the walk and we are hoping to start in Lisbon, Portugal and travel to STJPP after a short visit in Lisbon. No time frame for completing the walk just want to take in the sights and enjoy. Going to be warm but time was right for us so we are going to attempt it. This forum has been a great source of information for both of us......hopefully this will not be our first and last Camino!!

We're just a week away from starting our pilgrimage. My wife and I arrive in SJPDP on Sunday the 14th of April.

Scared, excited, thrilled, terrified, calm, nervous.

Cheers

Buen camino! There is snow today, but it will clear tomorrow, with rain predicted for Monday.

Have a great walk!

€46,-
Hi All, I get to Roncesvalles next Friday evening (12 Apr) and start walking on the Saturday. I feel very excited and a bit sick at the same time. My husband who has been very supportive all along has suddenly gone very quiet, I hope he doesn't worry too much while I'm away. I wish you all luck on your Caminos and hope I meet some of you along the way. Moira.

Hello Falcon269
Please can you help me?
I am trying to work out how to use the calendar
So I can see who will be walking at about same time as me
(I set off from SJPdP on Tuesday May 7th)
Can you tell me how this works please?
Thanks
Ned

Use another browser. Firefox and Chrome work. Internet Explorer, pretty much the worst in use, does not.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are leaving Madrid on 21 July, planning to re-start somewhere between Sahagun and Astorga. We are trying to figure out how much time we will have and how far we can realistically walk. This is a real bone of contention among the three of us, but we really want to get to Santiago this year.

Now that I have a flight to Spain, I figured I deserved a promotion from lurker to member. What a great source of encouragement and practical advice this forum has been. I hope I can contribute after my walk, which starts this July.

I hope you will contribute Vamos13! Even the most experienced Pilgrims haven't walked every stage, at every time of year, in every weather etc. All insights are useful. Buen Camino! :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello class of 2013,
My name is Suzanne (33), I'm from Ireland and will be walking the final stage of the Camino from 21 May. It's my first time doing anything like this, so I really look forward to meeting some others that are also on the path to Santiago at the same time as I will be.
I have a question - it may seem a little silly.....for walking the final 110kms - are hiking boots necessary, or are runners be sufficient?
Thanks,
Suzanne

Hello,

my name is Denis, from Bratislava, Slovakia and I will be walking form SJPP, I will arrive there 16 april evening. I will go throught the Napoleon route, if the weather and god will be merciful and I will welcome everybody, because is group is it better and much safer, specialy on part of way, which is rated as heavy and dangerouse.

and what do I expect from Camino? Clearing my head, finding (something inside me) and thinking about the reason of....

denis.majdan@gmail.com

buen camino!!!

Suzanne: May I suggest any name brand with Cross Trainer type shoes. Typically Cross Trainers are a bit more sturdy and can hold up to light weight training as well as aerobics and running. Still, be certain to wear them a bit before the hike, and when you go to the store, be sure to wear hiking socks (the fit may be different!)
I wish you every success! Pablo

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My flight to Paris is booked, I will spend a couple of days in the city before taking the train to SJPdP on June 6th. So I should be setting out the morning of the seventh. This will be my first camino, I am very excited. Currently I reside in Austin, Texas where I am studying to be an Anglican priest.

Blessings... T.J.

Hi: I own up to being a member of the class of 2013. My partner, Will, and I had planned to leave Arizona on April 15th. We have a slight delay as we were both -- in the same week -- told by our respective doctors that we have small skin lesions which turned out to be skin cancer. Mine which is located on my shoulder (fitting don't you think 8) ) was surgically removed on Wednesday and the stitches will be removed on April 10th. Will sees his surgeon tomorrow. We are still coming just not sure when. It is highly unlikely that it will be on the 15th as originally planned. Still very excited about our Camino, and we are both considering this to be a small bump in the road. Buen Camino, everyone! Julie

Hi
Ive done the Camino Frances 3 times from SJPDP ,and the Camino Portugese from Porto once. I hope to start walking the Northern Camino from Irun on the 16th of May 2013. I have my flight booked to Biarritz on the 15th May. Anyone else starting then ?
Pat

pablo1775 said:
Suzanne: May I suggest any name brand with Cross Trainer type shoes. Typically Cross Trainers are a bit more sturdy and can hold up to light weight training as well as aerobics and running. Still, be certain to wear them a bit before the hike, and when you go to the store, be sure to wear hiking socks (the fit may be different!)
I wish you every success! Pablo

Hey There Ol' Marine Pablo!
Looking at the calendar, we're both "short-timers"! Got your gear all squared away? I'm having a hard time getting enough training hikes in with farming getting in the way! More aches and pains showing up than I would lake as well. So be it. D Day is 13 May, and coming on fast.
Buen Camino and Semper Fi,
Farmer John

Farmer John: I plan to depart SJPdP on 5 May, RON Orisson, and start walking on 6 May. I think you will pass me. Look for an old guy with short hair and a blue pack. Should stand out, right?
I'm planning to do this slowly. Actually, I don't think I CAN do it any quicker! Attitude is good. Will be much happier once engaged. The waiting is driving me nuts.
Hope to go on to Finisterre and Muxia then train or bus to Pau (French side of Pyranees) and fly gliders before heading back to Texas. You are welcome to join up. Stay in touch, and keep thinking about Gene Autry singing "Happy Trails."
Best wishes, shipmate. Pablo

Flight to Madrid on May 31 arrival on June 1st booked (check)
Hotels in Madrid, Leon & Santiago de Compostela booked (check)
Good Boots (check)
Good Pack (check)
Outstanding thing...training...need to get a few long training hikes in with pack.
It is getting close and except for this nagging cold, am VERY excited!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
58 year old Brit seeks interesting companions for El Frances. All shapes, sizes, interests may apply.

Seriously though, I am hoping to start circa 8th May. I am an experienced walker but this is my first Camino. I usually walk alone but one of my main reasons for choosing to do 'The Camino' is quite literally the prospect of chance meetings with fellow travellers in order to share what should be a wonderful experience if only for fleeting moments and brief chats.

A few years ago I went trekking in the Himalayas not knowing anyone in the organised charity event prior to my trip. Obviously it is a quite phenomenal place to visit but one of the greatest joys was making so many new friends - I even started a business with one.

So, if you happen to be on the route while I walk then please say 'Hello'.

I will not be wearing my 'Spain' scarf - that was only to celebrate Spain's victories in both the World Cup and Euro 2012 and I happened to be there on both occasions. I am not a football fan but heck - when in Rome and all that.

Look forward to meeting some of you.

Bye now

Phil

Pablo - I'm setting out on May 10th from SJPdP and also have white hair and blue pack so Farmer John might get us confused! So what?
Phil - may well see you on way

Al and FJ: Hope we meet on the trail. I'll probably be sitting by the side of the road gasping for air! Another question is, what happens after we finish? Everybody going home?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well assuming I finish and have time Muxia/Finisterra. I walked to Finisterra last year and between Olviero and Hospital was in my humble opinion the best views of my walking (I had just walked the Ingles as well).

DragonLily said:
supersullivan said:
DragonLily said:

Buen camino

Seamus

Hi Seamus, thanks for your greetings :) I had noted that you are set to start on the same day. It will be nice to break fast with you on the 23rd. You appear to have an aggressive schedule planned while I plan to take the time I need as this is my first Camino. See you in SJPP :p

I hope I'll see you both on our starting morning - 23rd of May (or even on the evening before)!
Looking forward to meet you,
S

I leave Florida 16 may, but my enthusiasm is starting to wane a bit, since I've been reading about the snow and mud for the first 7-10 days. The romantic notion of 15 miles a day amidst spring wildflowers replaced with slogging 5 miles a day through ankle high mud! We make such important plans and God reminds us who's in control!!! Guess a sense of humor is Camino first lesson... I'll be arriving San Sebastián 17th and leaving sjpp on 18th . Not really so firm with plans, maybe I should just start in San Sebastián & skip both orrison, valcarlos and roncesvalles. I was so looking forward to it, but should I just skip if its really a muddy cold slog. (What do others think?)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
dogtorbill: Farmer John and I are Marines and look forward to a bit of rain and mud. Come join us in the fun. No shortcuts. Lot of folks have it worse than that in hostile places. Get your game face on and take a lot of pictures along the way! Semper fi. Pablo

dogtorbill said:
I leave Florida 16 may, but my enthusiasm is starting to wane a bit, since I've been reading about the snow and mud for the first 7-10 days. The romantic notion of 15 miles a day amidst spring wildflowers replaced with slogging 5 miles a day through ankle high mud! We make such important plans and God reminds us who's in control!!! Guess a sense of humor is Camino first lesson... I'll be arriving San Sebastián 17th and leaving sjpp on 18th . Not really so firm with plans, maybe I should just start in San Sebastián & skip both orrison, valcarlos and roncesvalles. I was so looking forward to it, but should I just skip if its really a muddy cold slog. (What do others think?)

You'll be just fine by May. Of course you need to expect a few days of rain alonf the trail but you will also have your spring flowers...Look at my Youtube video topick yourself up. I walked from May 13 to June 19

Thank you for you greetings Sempervivum! The countdown clock started the day I bought my ticket and ready or not.....the adventure of a lifetime is set to begin very soon. My train from Bayonne arrives in SJPdP at 12:07 pm and I plan to get a good look around town before setting off the next morning. I booked at L'Esprit du Chemin, accross from the Pilgrims office, and would love to meet with fellow walkers for an evening meal as I am sure the morning will be a rush for anyone wanting to make it to Roncevalles in one day. I plan an overnite myself in Orrison to be kind to my body....

Cheers,

Lily

PS Now if only I can get what I want into my backpack as it is full at 15 lbs and I am still missing: sandals, leggings and my poles, plus food and water! :?

€149,-
falcon269 said:
Use another browser. Firefox and Chrome work. Internet Explorer, pretty much the worst in use, does not.

You're right - it works with another browser - thanks!

pablo1775 said:
dogtorbill: Farmer John and I are Marines and look forward to a bit of rain and mud. Come join us in the fun. No shortcuts. Lot of folks have it worse than that in hostile places. Get your game face on and take a lot of pictures along the way! Semper fi. Pablo
Hey Pablo! Belay That! I'm starting not only 5 days after you but as far BEHIND you on the Way at Le Puy as Santiago is AHEAD of you! The only way I'll ever catch you is for you to be WIA and none of us want that. About the time you're on your hands and knees crawling up the cathedral steps to venerate good Saint James, I'll be stopping at SJDP for the beginning of the second half of my Way. I expect nothing less than stellar behavior from your Advance Party :D

A Fair Wind and Following Sea to ye'
FJ

Anybody have advice about phones? I'm thinking just turn off data and use WiFi along the route.
ATT has a Text package that is fairly reasonable. I'm going to get that.
Are hotspots fairly common? Thanks. Pablo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will be starting the Camino next week (God willing!) so if you happen to be in Orisson on the 19th I am John from Vancouver, Canada. This will be my second camino. First was last year. Had a great experience and met many wonderful people. Looking forward to starting the adventure once again. If this is your first time you are in for a treat. Be aware of the "Camino Magic" that will most definitely happen along the way. ¡Buen Camino!

Hi. We are Ron and Jenny from Penguin, Tasmania, Australia where we operate a B&B. A guest introduced us to the Camino adventure and now we plan to start on Aug12. So excited,and hoping age will not be a barrier (late 60's)!!! We have just discovered this site and look so forward to sharing the excitement. Thought of arriving in CDG airport and getting to the starting line SJDP is challenging enough!!! Any tips will be thoroughly appreciated!!!
Ron and Jenny

Hey all! Ticket bought, most equipment together. Planning for two years, not nearly enough training, but will be on the Camino in SJPP the 29th or 30th of April. Though I have read that one should not begin on a Monday, it really will be the best day for me logistic wise. I arrive in Barcelona on the 25th and plan to venture out and about for three days and then head over to SJPP. Walking all the way to Muxia/Finisterre, and then will head up to the Emerald Isle for three weeks of touring and backpacking. I will be blogging through http://www.bohemianvirgo.com and keeping up a FB page of the same name. Would love to meet some of my fellow travellers online ahead of time! Give me a shout out.

Starting my first Camino next week. I'm Charlene from Virginia, US. I'll get into SJPP evening of 17th. Will wander around and rest up on the 18th then head out on the 19th. Have spent a lifetime rushed and on schedule.....looking forward to slow and easy...breathing in the moments...and meeting new friends... Buen Camino

pablo1775 said:
Anybody have advice about phones? I'm thinking just turn off data and use WiFi along the route.
ATT has a Text package that is fairly reasonable. I'm going to get that.
Are hotspots fairly common? Thanks. Pablo

You are correct. Turn off your roaming and rely upon WIFI. You can download Magicjack, Skype, Whatsapp or others to communicate with those back home.

dogtorbill said:

All my information says the snow has melted. Go and enjoy.

€46,-
Jim L. Sanders said:
dogtorbill said:

All my information says the snow has melted. Go and enjoy.

good news finaly :roll:

well whatever the weather the one thing you do have control over is - how you respond! Choose to make the most of this amazing journey, the choice is yours...i know you will prevail, Buen Camino :arrow:

Hola,

I'm planning on beginning my camino as soon as I finish up the last requirements for my degree. I'm another pilgrim from Texas. I want to start as far back as I can on the Camino and still finish in Finisterra/Muxia without overstaying. I intend to walk the Camino Francés and Via Podiensis at least (barring any injury or tragedy).

This camino has been a life goal/dream since the summer of 2008. I still remember seeing peregrinos when visiting Santander with their backpacks and the shells on the road in Santander and Burgos. :D

If I have a good time, maybe I'll complete St. Olav's Way in the future!

DragonLily said:
My train from Bayonne arrives in SJPdP at 12:07 pm and I plan to get a good look around town before setting off the next morning. I booked at L'Esprit du Chemin, accross from the Pilgrims office, and would love to meet with fellow walkers for an evening meal as I am sure the morning will be a rush for anyone wanting to make it to Roncevalles in one day. I plan an overnite myself in Orrison to be kind to my body....
PS Now if only I can get what I want into my backpack as it is full at 15 lbs and I am still missing: sandals, leggings and my poles, plus food and water! :?

Hi, DragonLily,

I'll arrive by train in SJPdP around 7:30 PM. I plan to go straight to La Oficina del peregrino to collect my credential and a scallop shell :) Afterwards, I'll look for a place to stay (at the albergue, probably). Having done all that, I'll come to look for you and others, if they are willing to share the evening.
My backpack also weights about 7 1/2 kilos without food and water. I guess it is alright, and the same is yours :wink:

All the best,
S

Hi, DragonLily,

I'll arrive by train in SJPdP around 7:30 PM. I plan to go straight to La Oficina del peregrino to collect my credential and a scallop shell :) Afterwards, I'll look for a place to stay (at the albergue, probably). Having done all that, I'll come to look for you and others, if they are willing to share the evening.
My backpack also weights about 7 1/2 kilos without food and water. I guess it is alright, and the same is yours :wink:

All the best,
S[/quote]

Hi Sempervivum,

I was able to make a reservation at L'Esprit du Chemin by email without prepaying the night. The prices is reasonable. They have a lovely and helpful website you may want to check out since you arrive in the evening. Most definitely come hunt us down at the Albergue for the rest of the evening as I understand there will be others there from the forum there as well. :D

Cheers,

Lily

Hello, somebody here leaving SJPP 17 april?

€60,-
Using phone app, but will try to find, thanks for advice
Denis

Hi, DragonLily,

Thank you for your kind advice.
I'd tried to make a reservation, but they are totally booked for that day.
I'll be fine :wink: I'll come for sure to meet you that evening.

Best,
S

Hi, I'm Mag from Singapore. My best friend Viv and I will be doing the Camino Frances on rental bikes from Leon on May 18, the day after I turn 50. So in a way, it's a thanksgiving pilgrimage for me. It'll be our first cycling trip abroad and we're excited and anxious at the same time. We do wish we could do a longer journey, but we have work and family commitments. We hope to meet some of you nice folks en route.

Most read last week in this forum

..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.