• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2013

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Hi dear colleagues,

Me and my wife entered SDC today about 18:00 hrs local time. We have received our Compostelas and checked in the oldest pilgrim's hospital since 1499. Tomorrow we'll visit traditional twelve hours Pilgrim's mass and pray for all good people. Bien Camino!
Sincerely,
Oleg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
LieutCol.Ret. said:
Hi dear colleagues,

Me and my wife entered SDC today about 18:00 hrs local time. We have received our Compostelas and checked in the oldest pilgrim's hospital since 1499. Tomorrow we'll visit traditional twelve hours Pilgrim's mass and pray for all good people. Bien Camino!
Sincerely,
Oleg
Congratulations on completing the camino.

I am a transplanted Iowan who lives and works in Fargo, ND. I leave Fargo, Hector International Airport, on June 5th. I arrive in Paris, Charles de Gaulle, about 11:00 on the 6th and take a train, also from Charles de Gaulle, at 2:00pm for Bordeaux. I spend the night in Bordeaux and take another train at 7:00am the next day (June 7th) to Bayonne, where I get on a bus and go to Saint Jean Pied de Port. I should arrive there by 12:30 or so. That gives me the rest of the day to get my Pilgrim's Passport and anything else I need to do. I stay over night in Saint Jean Pied de Port and start the Camino on the 8th.
It's a pilgrimage just to start my pilgrimage...
Hello

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Finally I am departing Oz, currently waiting to board my flight at Melbourne , 20 minutes to go :)

After a bit of tourism in turkey start Camino 28 may from roncessvalles :)

Ciao

ffp13 said:
Finally I am departing Oz, currently waiting to board my flight at Melbourne , 20 minutes to go :)

After a bit of tourism in turkey start Camino 28 may from roncessvalles :)

Ciao
Good luck man!

Now sitting in the departure lounge at Saigon international , waiting for my flight to Paris :)

Hola fellow pilgrim. My husband and I also start our Camino June8 from SJPP. I'm sure we'll meet. Buen Camino

Now in Paris CDG , it's getting closer

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Underveis said:
Now train? and then El Camino. ..hoping for nice weather..

Not quite, first Gallipoli then Camino on 28 may

3 Days to go! First timer, can't wait! This forum has been so useful for practical tips...most essential kit purchase to date, the rubber plug for the sink ;-).

Buen Camino everyone. :shock:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm very happy to say that i have now booked my travel arrangements and will arrive SJPdP on the 11th September. My friend from the states is due to join me on the 12th and i guess we'll start our Camino on the 13th :D

Planning and plotting and weighing and walking and finally it's almost here. May 31 we walk all the way to Orrisson....yep, starting slow. What a wonderful way to start a shiny new stage of my life. See y'all soon. :wink:
Chamois

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, I'm from Queensland, Australia and will be in the class of 2013 as I will be starting my walk from SJPdP on the 2nd Aug 13 I have been one of those who have been in observing from the fringes for many months, it has been excellent reading all the posts, it has really helped me with all my planning, now I am just training and getting so excited, 9 weeks to go. Buen Camino

Laws said:
I have been one of those who have been in observing from the fringes for many months
Hola Laws,
Welcome to the Forum & nice to have you in from the "fringe".
Good luck with the training, feel free to ask questions.
Buen Camino
Colin

Hola Amigos!! My fiancé and I will be enjoying the Camino Frances beginning in August 2013. "The Way" was recommended to us and we looked at each other and agreed on the spot. We believe the Camino will be a great Honeymoon. Starting at SJPdP. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Salaniz1313 said:
We believe the Camino will be a great Honeymoon. Starting at SJPdP. Buen Camino!

Be kind to the other pilgs and reserve a hotel room every now and then! We had honeymooners on one Camino - they were very restrained. They lashed out and booked into the Paradors at Santo Domingo and Leon. Well worth the cost.

Karl1704 said:
3 Days to go! First timer, can't wait! This forum has been so useful for practical tips...most essential kit purchase to date, the rubber plug for the sink ;-). :

Are sur you got it correct?? Not ears ???

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello fellow Peregrinos!

Been lurking for awhile and finally decided to start posting today. Myself and my two compatriots are going to begin our very first Camino (Camino Frances) on June 19th when we leave Portland, Ore. for Barcelona. We'll be starting out in SJPdP on the 22nd and (hopefully) arriving in SdC on July 24th.

This is my first ever hike of this nature, and my compatriots are keen to get going! We just got our plane tickets yesterday, and our Credentials came in the mail a few days ago! Things are really starting to move along now. I've been reading the forums to answer my questions, and now I feel confident enough to ask my own!

Buen Camino to you all!

I am Walt from Florida, now studying in New York City and I plan to walk in early July 2013. Unfortunately, I can only do the portion from Sarria to Santiago, since I do not have more time. Am greatly looking forward to this short time with myself and with God. See some of you then.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, I am Mirja from Finland. Age 32. Gender female.

I have done three caminos before:
Walk 2012: 1700km, from Le Puy France to Fisterra Spain (3 months)
Walk 2011: 300km, at Northern Spain, from Aviles to Santiago de Compostela (3 weeks)
Walk 2010: 780km, from France Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela at Spain (1 month)

And in a year 2013 my plan is to walk from Finland to Spain (via Germany and France). I will start the Walk 2013 on 1st of August from Hattula at Finland and I will share my journey in English at facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HappyHuman.fi

More info in my company´s website: http://www.happyhuman.fi/en

See you on the way! :)

Hola,

My name is Kathie. I live on Vancouver Island, Canada.

I will arrive in SJPdP on Sept 13 via Paris (treating myself to a walkabout in Paris for 3 days) and plan to start my pilgrimage Sept 14. Can hardly wait!!! 15 weeks to toughen up my feet and decide what to pack.

Love this very informative and inclusive website. Thanks to all the vets for sharing your wisdom with us newbies. Looking forward to meeting interesting people from all over the world.

Be well, everyone.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all! Well we leave for Madrid on Friday! Very excited and a little nervous...all though... This time next week we will be sound asleep in Leon dreaming of our first steps the next morning.

Doing the unpacking/repacking, second guessing the choices of what to bring & not to bring, telling everyone how close it is getting with great anticipation.

I started a blog (never done that before) only have two posts but thought it would be a great way to capture the journey. Here is the link if you want to follow along: http://fishersway.wordpress.com/

Buen Camino!!!

Jenyat53 said:
Hi everyone
I am planning on walking in September-October 2013. Even now, it is hard to think about much else, every spare minute is spent reading and researching and just 'thinking' about the possibilities. At this point, I'm aiming to leave SJPP somewhere around mid-September and to take my time. As a 'just turned 60 Aussie' pilgrim, I will be walking alone and am looking forward to discovering what the Camino holds for me and to meeting others who are journeying at that time. Thank you to everyone for sharing their wisdom, what a treasure trove this site is!
cheers Jen

PS any advice keenly accepted :)

So do I. I would like to start at SJPP. And if the main pilgrim way is to crowded, I will take an alternative way on the north cost.
Looking forward to meeting interesting people from all over the world. I speak German French English and some Spanish (mui puchito!). I also enjoy singinng gospel, folksongs and opera (nessun dorma, Bizet Carmen)
What about fellow travelers, travelling companion or travel mate?
rose-lipt maidens and lightfoot lads
from A. E. Housman (1859-1936)
The toast "Rose-lipped maidens" appears when Meryl Streep as Karen Blixen is offered a drink in the Muthaiga Club near the end of the movie out of Africa.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello! I am Lauren (age 20 from NYC, USA) walking with my good friend Andy (age 22 from Milwaukee, USA) leaving from Porto this coming Saturday, June 1, 2013. We have spent a long winter studying in Prague, CZ, are excited to get going and enjoy some West Coast sun! Anybody else heading that direction this week?

We are hoping to cut out a day or so from the 10 day normal schedule so we can spend an extra day or so exploring the city of Santiago and it's beautiful coast before heading to Barcelona!

L

Hi All
I am IN for the Class of 2013. I'm Anna, from NZ, and have been thinking about this for several years. Asked for, and got, 2 months off Sept/Oct, so here we go! A Newbie, although used to (somewhat shorter) walking trips; walking solo as my friends all think I'm bonkers. Still, a lot of advice says it's better go it alone..... I'm going to break with my usual traveling approach and book as little as possible - get myself there and wing it. REALLY looking forward to it, despite the usual concerns re boots/gear/fitness! Ultreya.
Anna

Good Day!

My name is Ciaran. I have been intrigued about the Camino for the last several years. I am 55 years old and while active and have traveled lots, I have not done anything quite like this. In April 2013 I did the 4 day Inca Trail in Peru and found it extremely difficult due to being over-weight and not in great shape. Having completed Inca, I think that set my mind to pushing myself a little harder. I finally hit the send button on my flights and am booked to leave Halifax on September 3, 2013 and arriving in Toulouse, France on Sept 4th. Will be taking a train from Toulouse and hope to arrive in Bayonne on the 5th and then to St Jean to start the trek on Sept 6. As I am booked to fly back from Madrid on the 26th, it is my intent to walk to Burgos (287km) and then take a train/bus/donkey anything but my feet to Sarria and walk the additional 113 km from there to Santiago de Compostela. To prepare, I have been walking 12-16 km per day. My new backpack just arrived and that will be a test to see how much more difficult it will be walking with that filled on my back. Currently, I walk a km in 10 minutes. I am hoping to walk 3 2-hour intervals per day, covering approximately 30km per day. Allowing for a rest/extra wine day or two along The Way, I should make my flight in Madrid with a day to spare. I am absolutely pumped for this trip and look forward to meeting many like minded people to share stories laughs etc. Best wishes to all you that go before me

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi All,

My name is Jason. I'm starting my first Camino from SJPP next week. I arrive there on Wednesday 5th June . I came to hear about the Camino a good few years back, and ever since that, I have always known that it was something that I just had to do. So, its wonderful that, eventually, my time has come.

I want to say thanks to all of you on this forum who so selflessly give your time and energy to assist others like myself who are unfamiliar with the Camino. My preparations for this trip have been made all the more easier because of you. So, many thanks.

No doubt I will bump into some of you on the way, and try to give a little back to the forum also as my own road unfolds...until then...Buen Camino

Best

Jason

Bought my ticket for Paris today. I leave Denver on Sept. 10. I am so excited. My name is Donna
this is my first Camino and will start from SJJP to end in Finisterra. Have been training for a few months and learning about ultra light packing.

Hi

I'll be walking the section from Pamplona to Logros from 1 July 2013 and hope to meet some of you along the way. Be nice to me, even though I will just be carrying a day pack and having bags moved on :wink: It's new to me and I'm a heat wimp so that'll be enough to contend with, for now.
Cheers, Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Laws said:
Hi, I'm from Queensland, Australia and will be in the class of 2013 as I will be starting my walk from SJPdP on the 2nd Aug 13 I have been one of those who have been in observing from the fringes for many months, it has been excellent reading all the posts, it has really helped me with all my planning, now I am just training and getting so excited, 9 weeks to go. Buen Camino

9 weeks to go! All of a sudden our journey sounds so much closer! My husband and I are from Victoria, BC, Canada. We leave SJPdP or August 1st and are booked in at Orisson that night. You are right, the planning and training are very exciting and reading these posts makes it all very real. Perhaps our paths will cross. Buen Camino to you also!

Hi, i have booked my flights to Biarritz for 5 August 2013, and so scared and worried as hell if I can do it (Camino from SJPdP onwards). Although I did Camino last year from Sarria to SdC (and got certificate) in 6 days, this will be my first from SJPdP. In preparation, I have read plenty of posts and stories from this forum and other sites and saw amazing pictures from Camino. I have packed stuff in my backpack (new one) and it is now sitting looking at me like ‘when are we going?’. Learning from my lessons of last Camino, this time I managed to pack only around (max) 6 kg, but this is summer, perhaps therefore I need less stuff. Although I might put some warm stuff just in case it snows and or cold in the mountains (?!). I am planning not to rush it, stay a few days in SJPdP perhaps look around in Biarritz city then a few days also in Pamplona, my return flight from Biarritz is on 19/8.
Also, unlike last year, my plan is to carry my backpack myself (not be transported) and that is why backpack should not be too heavy. I hope I will be ok.

Hello, I have been gleaning useful info from this site for months. Thank you all so much. But not being very savvy at electronic communications, I've been a little shy in joining up. We leave from a small town in Northern Michigan (on the shores of Lake Michigan) on the 16th June for 9 days walk on the Camino. (less than 2 weeks!) 'We' are a small youth group - 7 youth, 2 leaders and their spouses. The kids have saved for four years to be able to go on this Pilgrimage. The plan is to walk at least the minimum (maybe more) in 6-7 days. Maybe start a little further out than Sarria. After arriving Santiago, we'll bus to Finesstere and stay a day or so to 'process' the experience beside the sea. All are very excited. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed leading other peoples children out into the unknown...But the Camino is meant to stretch us, right? And exercise our trust in God. So, one foot in front of the other, here we come. Thanks for listening...

Hello everyone,

This is Mark & Tammy from Ottawa, Ontario Canada. We are walking the Camino Frances to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and think about the next stage of life now that our kids are moving on. We've spent a lot of time lurking in the forums and learning lots - thanks everyone for your input.

We started with our boots and packs and now have most of our gear. Our training consists of 10km walks with loaded packs 2-3 times a week. Hoping to increase to 15km soon - but time is a factor. We've seen a huge difference from our first walks (5km no packs) which would tire us right out!

Just booked our flights from Ottawa to Paris and then to Biarritz. Planning to spend the night in Bayonne on Aug. 29, catch an early bus or train to SJPP on Aug. 30th, purchase gear and supplies then do the short walk to Orisson and spend the night.

If things go as expected, after the Camino we should have 3-4 days to make our way back to Paris for the flight home. Any travel/sightseeing suggestions are welcome.

We are very much looking forward to meeting new people and making new friendships on the Camino :D

2 days until departure. Work continues to demand but I will be completely offline for 5 weeks! Leaving SJPP Sunday June 9th. I hope to meet you on the Camino. So excited!
Buen Camino!

Hi, I'm just finishing packing for my first walk the camino experience. Will start June 23rd from Lugo area and head all the way to Finisterra. I am very excited and do so ope my year of training will pay off without blisters and joints intack! Hope to meet some of you along the way!
Buen camino.
sandy from CA

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I finished sjpdep to Leon on may 11th this year, now heading for Bilbao , starting Norte Monday, Irun to Gijon, switch to primitivo at Oviedo to Santiago , Fisterra to Muxia. Legs permitting hope to walk Oporto to Santiago after a few days rest in Portugal, iPad switched off, c u on my travels, Buen camino.

Hello! My Camino begins now as I plan to walk with a friend on her second trek mid July. I have my back pack and ticket so it's official! I look forward to reading everyone's suggestions as I plan my first Camino.

Hi All, me and my husband are flying to Paris Aug 25 and planning on getting a train to SJPDP. We plan to go all the way to Finisterre. We fly back out of Madrid on Oct 7. Reading some of the post it looks like people are getting reservations once they start, is this necessary? I was planning on winging it. Also any sggestions on the train, taking it during the day or at night, hows the view from Paris. We arrive in the AM so flexible. Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Kawneeo said:
Hi All, me and my husband are flying to Paris Aug 25 and planning on getting a train to SJPDP. We plan to go all the way to Finisterre. We fly back out of Madrid on Oct 7. Reading some of the post it looks like people are getting reservations once they start, is this necessary? I was planning on winging it. Also any sggestions on the train, taking it during the day or at night, hows the view from Paris. We arrive in the AM so flexible. Thanks

Kawneeo,

You must be excited as you plan your future camino!

Since September is a busy month on the camino, but not as busy as August, You might be more relaxed to have a reservation for your first night in SJPdP. After that you can see how it goes on the camino and 'take the luck of the draw' in finding a bunk each night.

Once you pass through the Paris suburbs the views of the French countryside are great. Many trains depart each day from Paris to Bayonne and SJPdP. You can see schedules up to 3 months in advance at this SNCF (French Nationl Rail Road ) link. http://www.voyages-sncf.com/.

Here is some further basic train info.

1. There are trains that go from CDG airport. These are SNCF TGV (Tres Grand Express) from CdG Paris 2 airport to BORDEAUX and which then connect with another TGV to Bayonne and a TER line 62 train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

2. The route from Paris is generally a TGV train from the Paris Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne and then a regional TER line 62 train from Bayonne to SJPdP. Generally there are 4 TGV trains to Bayonne from Paris Montparnasse each day and many TER line 62 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP.

3. If you wish you could take the regular overnight train from Paris Gare Austerlitz to Bayonne to connect with a morning TER line 62 train to SJPdP.

You NEED a reservation for any TGV train and it is cheaper to book the ticket well in advance; you do NOT need a reservation for the TER line 62. You can buy both tickets on-line at the same time. However you can also book everything with a live clerk at the station the day of departure if you wish. If you take the mid morning train from Paris you can be in SJPdP by late afternoon.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

congratulations all of you. Good luck. Bless. You will be tested on this. It is unfathonably unique and beautiful. And like all good things it comes at a price, and like all things paid for, the price is generally worth it. Enjoy. Don't forget your pebble.

Hi All

Need guidance...

My name is Nicole Fisher (fishern1) and I am currently in Cacabelos. It has been fantastic so far!!

I have a situation with an open blister on my heel. I cannot walk in my boots. I need to find a store where I can find a good pair of Keen or Teva sandals so I can let the blister breathe and still walk. I am willing to bus or taxi where needed. Any store & town suggestions??? Ahead to Villafranca? Back to Ponferrada?

Thank you!!!

Greetings to all.

My wife and I walked from SJPP to Pamplona in May 2012 as a part of our "Pilgrimage Sampler" - Medjugorje, Lourdes and the Camino. This year, due an unexpected clearing of my work schedule (ahem), my wife suggested I start in Pamplona and walk another couple weeks in August.

I'm very excited because I'll be traveling from LA to Bali for a family trip and then continuing west via Jakarta and Qatar to Spain. After a few weeks, I'll head back to LA and complete my trip around the world.

I've been following everyone's adventures on the forum since last year, so it's time to join the fun. I arrive in Pamplona on August 9 and start walking when the jet lag allows.

See you along the road.

Fishern1 said:
Hi All

Need guidance...

My name is Nicole Fisher (fishern1) and I am currently in Cacabelos. It has been fantastic so far!!

I have a situation with an open blister on my heel. I cannot walk in my boots. I need to find a store where I can find a good pair of Keen or Teva sandals so I can let the blister breathe and still walk. I am willing to bus or taxi where needed. Any store & town suggestions??? Ahead to Villafranca? Back to Ponferrada?

Thank you!!!
Dear Nicole,
Sorry to hear about the blister but your solution sounds good - my husband walked in sandals for a few days in exactly the same place and for the same reason. He actually found the sandals in a small shoe shop in Cacabelos - have you asked the locals? The sandals were cheap and not a recognisable brand but they got him out of trouble.
Villafranca is very small, Pontferrada is much bigger and it does have a sports store "Sprinter" - website is:
http://www.sprinter.es/fiends-deported- ... n-sprinter
Address of the shop is P.C. La Herreria Av de Los Escritores 3, 24400 Pontferrada, telephone 987102330
Hope that helps.

Sorry, the forum app seems to be mangling the web address. Try typing in "Pontferrada" in the Sprinter internal search engine.

My name is Paul from Wisconsin. I completed the Camino Frances from April 15 - May 17, 2013 with my start in St. Jean and my final destination Finisterre. I purposely walked alone every day, all the Way. My quest was: "In solitude, find the voice of my soul." After nearly 30 years in corporate America I lost a big part of who I was and as a transition from a working executive life to retirement, I chose the Camino, with the blessing of my wonderful wife Patty, my two children and my six grandchildren.
It is very clearly the most spriritual endeavor I have ever embarked upon and certainly the most fulfilling spiritual endeavor I have ever completed. People ask me to share the experience and I find it difficult to articulate. How does one describe extraodinary and wonderful and personal soul enrichening in a way that another can truly understand? How do you describe vistas that a photo can not capture? The Padre in Triacastela perhaps said it best. "The Camino is to be experienced, not talked about."
I encourage all Americans (young and old) to make the journey of a life time. The soul enrichment and fulfilment gained puts this often chaotic and materialistic world in stark perspective. I am blessed to have had the opportunity and blessed to have met so many wonderful people.
Buen Camino, to all who are on any of the Caminos now or are planning to make the journey one day.

pwiers said:
My name is Paul from Wisconsin. I completed the Camino Frances from April 15 - May 17, 2013 with my start in St. Jean and my final destination Finisterre. I purposely walked alone every day, all the Way. My quest was: "In solitude, find the voice of my soul." After nearly 30 years in corporate America I lost a big part of who I was and as a transition from a working executive life to retirement, I chose the Camino, with the blessing of my wonderful wife Patty, my two children and my six grandchildren.
It is very clearly the most spriritual endeavor I have ever embarked upon and certainly the most fulfilling spiritual endeavor I have ever completed. People ask me to share the experience and I find it difficult to articulate. How does one describe extraodinary and wonderful and personal soul enrichening in a way that another can truly understand? How do you describe vistas that a photo can not capture? The Padre in Triacastela perhaps said it best. "The Camino is to be experienced, not talked about."
I encourage all Americans (young and old) to make the journey of a life time. The soul enrichment and fulfilment gained puts this often chaotic and materialistic world in stark perspective. I am blessed to have had the opportunity and blessed to have met so many wonderful people.
Buen Camino, to all who are on any of the Caminos now or are planning to make the journey one day.

This is beautiful Paul, and I agree that the Spiritual aspect is not something easily - if at all - shared. It is the one thing taking a long time come in for a landing as it orbits my peripherals. All the rest is wonderful stuff to discuss though - but in the right head space, time and place. I go onto this forum at selected moments - sometimes I can't even read the email saying there is news on the forum....

Such a strange and wonderful experience....

I thought Paul's use of the word "stark" was pretty amazing. That is exactly the way I described my perceptions of events, people and things when I returned from the Camino. No shades of gray, no shadows, just stark. Life can become simpler with the benefit of instant recognition, yet It is no less beautiful. To me, that has been the greatest blessing of walking the Way.

Hi my name is Winifred and along with 3 others are beginning our camino from St Jean on 6 July 2013. We fly from Dublin to Biarritz on the 5th and then bus to Bayonne and train on to St jean. Do I need to book this train at this time of year? We fly in at around 2.30 so not sure of timescale but from research there seems to be train round 6.30. Wud be so afraid if missing train and also this train journey seems to add to the experience according to this forum. We hope to walk for 11 days and then fly from Burgos to Barcelona and back home.

Will be starting my solo Camino on 23 Sep from SJPP, and hoping to arrive in Santiago about 5 Nov. Am a 68 year old woman (turning 69 along my way), have a few knee and foot issues (arthritis, alas), but am counting on trekking poles, Arnica, and the occasional foot and/or leg massage en route to alleviate some of those issues. So far my longest walk has been 13.5 km - with two minor blisters -- good training in blister care! if I'd had my Camino blister kit, I would have taken care of them as soon as I noticed them. Am going to try to increase walking distance (to at least 16 - 18 km) and more hills (ultimately, up Queen Anne in Seattle without huffing and puffing too much!) before departure from the US. I'm one of those who plans excessively in advance - but am hoping I'll be able to let go, and allow intuition and The Camino take over what actually happens. My Spanish is minimal at the moment, but hopefully it will return with practice. My French is pretty good - tho' my accent is West African from Peace Corps days - "only" 20+ years ago.
All the best to all of you! "May the roads rise to meet you; May the wind be always at your back; May the sunshine warm your face; May the rains fall softly upon your [heads]; And until we meet ..., May God hold you in the palm of his hand."
Terry

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Terry,

Poles helped me a lot.

As an engineer I too live with lists and check boxes and planning and practice and preparing, etc. Once on the Camino I committed to let each day unfold without a plan. I used the maps to see about where the Albergues were but I let my body tell me when I had enough for one day (and each day was indeed different for me). It worked wonderfully ... for me.

One thing I would ask of all Pilgrims on the Camino or in the planning stages. Honor every other Pilgrim's Camino. They are all distinct, different and personal. I heard rumors of a couple people during my Camino who conveyed some level of self-imposed superiority since they had started at St. Jean and not at a later point. The lady who shared that with me had started in Saria and was the apparent recipient. At first it made her feel badly about not being able to start at St. Jean. I will share with you what I shared with her.

I met people on the Camino Frances who were taking successive years to walk segments one week at a time since that was the time they could commit. I talked to older people who were doing the Camino by bus and walking only short segments as their bodies allowed. I met people who had walked multiple Caminos with one man being 75 and on his third. I talked to a man who had started in Le Puy, France. I also saw a man on crutches walking a segment of the Camino. If he made it one kilometer that day I would have been surprised, but he was there and doing what he could. He struggled with every step, bless his heart and soul.
Each of us walks our Camino for personal reasons from small needs to lost children and more and everything in between. We do what we can and walk where and when we can. Each of us is blessed for whatever time we can spend in the solidtude and joy of a good walk.
Lastly I learned that there is no end to "the Camino" as we can pick it back up any time or continue it in a different country or start from a different begininng for different reasons. We each choose a point to start and a point to end for each of our Caminos.
I would emplore all Pilgrims to honor every other Pilgrim's Camino as they honor their own. Whenever someone told me where they started and where they planned to end, I made it my personal committment to tell them specifically that "I honor your Camino." I pray we all will.

Terry,

Given your anticipated need/desire for masajistas while on the Camino, I have personal experience with two in three different locations. They were both extremely professional men of faith and medical-based masajistas. Each also believed in holistic healing.

David Casado (Centros De Masaje) - located in both Sahagun and Leon (two blocks from the Cathedral in Leon, right on the Camino) - Tel: 609 470 232

Jose Mari (private practice refered by the Hospitalaro) - located in the Plaza San Martin right on the Camino in Estella.

They each are Pilgrims themselves and have a commitment to fellow Pilgrims. Each also ended my sessions with a prayer for healing that was extemely moving for me.

Paul from Wisconsin

Thank you, Paul, for the wisdom of honoring all who travel the Camino! And thank you so much for the names and locations of two masajistas!

Terry

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello, I will be walking with a group in September, 2013. "Pilgrims are people in motion–passing through territories not our own - seeking something we might call completion, or perhaps the word clarity will do just as well;
a goal to which only the spirit’s compass points the way". ~ Richard Niebuhr

Thank you for the help Knaga!! My blisters are getting better. I took a day of rest and walked 2 days before buyng a pair of Tevas in Sarria - best purchase! I highly recommend to anyone reading who is preparing for their camino to bring a good pair of Teva-type sandals so your feet can rest yet you can still walk securely.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1371067935.556626.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1371067935.556626.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,122
Thank you Margaret. This is great info. I will look into tickets. I think we will get on the train from the airport and maybe stay the night in bayonne then head to sjpdp. Buen Camino

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Hello, I am Joe from NY and will be flying in to Biarritz on the afternoon flight from London at the end of August. I will be walking the Camino from August thru September. I have a hotel reservation in SJPDP for the first night. Two of probably many questions. What is the easiest way to get from Biarritz to SJPDP and is a light weight sleeping bag recommended for the month of September.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Buen Camino

Jdefendis said:
Hello, I am Joe from NY and will be flying in to Biarritz on the afternoon flight from London at the end of August. I will be walking the Camino from August thru September. I have a hotel reservation in SJPDP for the first night. Two of probably many questions. What is the easiest way to get from Biarritz to SJPDP and is a light weight sleeping bag recommended for the month of September.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Buen Camino

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the Forum!

These Forum threads hold a wealth of information. You will find much to help you plan your Camino. Ask as many questions as you like! Past pilgrims love to share their advice and experiences. Such sharing is a large part of the Camino spirit; besides being informative for future pilgrims it help keeps memories current for experienced pilgrims as we recall our journeys anew.

A light weight sleeping bag would be fine for the camino in September.

An easy and inexpensive way to get from Biarritz airport to SJPdP is to take the airport bus to the BAYONNE railroad station (Gare SNCF). At Bayonne you catch a TER line 62 train to SJPdP.. There are several departures each day. Reservations are not necessary since the seating is open as on a tram or metro. The cost for the TER ticket is roughly 10 euros. SJPdP is the last stop on the line. You can usually see exact train times 3 months in advance at this TER site >> http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/Aquitai ... fault.aspx

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

I have my ticket to Paris for the second week of Sept. I am so excited and scared to death.
I am a newbie and will hike solo. I have been hiking every other day and am keeping my pack down to 10 pounds. I have loved walking since I was a kid and everyone thinks I am crazy. I can't wait to just walk and leave everything behind. :)
D Kernes
Northern Colorado

falcon269 said:
The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:
It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino.
I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.
It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2013?
Buen Camino
Arn

I am going to retire and start walking in September 2013. By then, I hope to have a walking trailer that I can pile high with heavy equipment!

I started my camino April 27/13 at St. Jean Pied de Port and finished May 31/13, Santiago, So yes, I am a member of the class of 2013.
Buen Camino
Eileen

I am so enjoying the sense of calm I'm experiencing as I await my September 5th departure from Vancouver, Canada. I look forward to meeting those who plan to put feet to path in St. Jean a few days later. I had planned to share this experience with my daughter last year. However, my husband became ill and it was necessary to postpone the journey. This year I will be travelling alone .. grateful that my husband is well again. And while sad that my daughter is not able to join me this year, I'm grateful for the changes in her life that have her enjoying a different but equally fine journey. My thanks to members of the forum who offered kindness and support last year and who wisely offered hope for the future.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello there, my name is Kathleen and my husband and I are going to begin our first Camino from Pamplona during the third week of September. Due to work (aka money constraints) we only have a week to walk this year. We are really, really looking forward to it, even with my seemingly fathomless fear of dogs.
Actually it was because of that fear and the advice that I received on the Camino Del Norte thread that we have decided to do the Camino Frances route instead of one of the less travelled ones :D .
We are really looking forward to the walk itself, the possibility of meeting new people, the albeit relatively tame sense of adventure not to mention the food and the wine.
Wishing all of the Class of 2013 the very best experience on your Camino and maybe we will run into you there!
K

Hi, I'm Kathryn. I live in the Seattle area. I am planning on starting my Camino from Roncevalles somewhere around the 26 th of Sept. I hope to meet some of you along the way!

Hi all, I'm Arlene, Coordinator for the Old Pueblo Chapter of APOC here in Tucson, Arizona. I walked the Camino Frances last year and will be returning to walk again on September 16th this year. I will be starting from Logrono on the morning of September 17th. Sure do hope to meet up with some of you on the Way.
I had not joined the Class of 2013 before but have been active on the thread Camino in September, 2013. :oops: So now I am officially here.........Buen Camino all!

Hi All,

Grrreat...seems to be loads of pilgrims starting in September so I will have loads of companionship..I start in St Jean on 19 September, staying in Lesprit de Chemin the night before. Looking forward to the journey immensely. Going to get my Camino passport in Dublin before I leave Ireland!
Hopefully meet some of you along the way! Best of luck to all leaving soon.
Buen Camino
Aidan

I am starting my Camino the last week of August in St. Jean, and allowing myself two months to smell the roses and get to Santiago and probably Finisterre, too. I am a woman, 68 years old, from Texas. I walked the Camino from 'O Cebreiro to Santiago in Spring 2010. Loved it and am hooked. Ritescot

My plans are confirmed now. Flying out of Toronto on September 5th arriving in Madrid on September 6th. Will take bus to Leon and begin the Camino on September 8th, walking to Santiago for the last 319kms. Was going to walk a shorter distance, but I am going with my best friend and his training is going really well so we will be starting at Leon. Plans are to walk 20-25 kms per day. Really looking forward to see my Camino friend Johnny Walker again :D

A lot of people walk in September, so I likely will meet some of you along the way.

Tim

Hi All
Im Donal. Ill be starting at St Jean on 13th of july. Ive found this site very helpful and full of good advice from fellow travellers. Im only doing part of the camino as i can only get 2 weeks of work.
Best Wishes to you all

DONAL

Hi everyone,

The tickets have been purchased and the 24 hour refund period has passed! I will be starting my Camino probably in Pamplona or Roncevalles and ending at the ocean between August 8 and September 10. I also just bought a hat--I expect I will want one, based on everyone's descriptions of the August heat.

I can't wait.

Hope to meet some of you there.

I plan to make my second journey on the Camino in September 2013. I'll begin my journey in Pamplona this time around... my first on the Camino was June2005 and my starting point was in Roncevalles.
I'll be traveling from San Diego, CA.
Tony

tones505 said:
I plan to make my second journey on the Camino in September 2013. I'll begin my journey in Pamplona this time around... my first on the Camino was June2005 and my starting point was in Roncevalles.
I'll be traveling from San Diego, CA.
Tony

Hi Tony,
I'm starting on September 17th out of Logrono, my first was from SJPP last September, now I'm hooked :!: Hopefully we will see each other on the Way.

Ultreia, :arrow:
Arlene

Hello. My husband, Alan, and I are planning our Camino for the end of August this year. We will be starting in St.-Jean-Pied-du-Port on August 26. We will have with us our 2 lb. Chihuahua, Kiara, (she has a chest carrier, she isn't capable of walking that far) because we don't have a dog-sitter here in France, but she needs medication daily for her seizures and so we cannot travel without her. So if you happen to see a couple of older folks carrying a tiny brindle chihuahua please stop to say hello. Kiara (or Kiki for short) is super friendly, she rarely barks and loves meeting new people.

Tracy Mentzer
Expats from Reno, NV

Hola Tracy, Alan & Kiara,
Welcome to the forum.
I met a French couple last year, just outside of Portomarin, they had walked with their little puppy from Logrono. A little poodle cross, I think.
The puppy did a fair bit of walking on the day I saw them, he was on one of those extendable leads.
They stayed in hotels of course, the puppy had a little container that was like a pack they carried.
Hope all goes well with your planning.
Buen Camino.
Colin

Hello everyone! I was an avid reader of this forum last year while preparing to walk the Camino Frances from SJPP. I had a wonderful experience on the Camino; so much so that I plan to return this year to walk the Camino Ingles in August! The advice I gathered reading this forum were invaluable, particularly the packing tips.

So, thank you for all the wonderful advice. I look forward to sharing with you and learning from you as I prepare for my next walk!

shars said:
I look forward to sharing with you and learning from you as I prepare for my next walk!
Hola Shars,
Good to see you posting on the forum. We look forward to your contributions, as you share your experience with others here on the forum.
Buen Camino
Colin

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everyone,
My name is Billie and I am from the US, Carson City Nevada to be specific. I will begin the Camino Frances from SJPP September 29th-Oct, of course that's assuming I can read the signs and get to SJPP from Madrid :? Is anyone else planning on starting at that time?

Thanks!

kathrynwb said:
Hi, I'm Kathryn. I live in the Seattle area. I am planning on starting my Camino from Roncevalles somewhere around the 26 th of Sept. I hope to meet some of you along the way!

Hi Kathryn,

I will be starting right about Sept 29th, perhaps we will meet up at sometime:)

Looking forward to it!
Billie

Just finished Camino. When in Pamplona, don't bother with the cafe Iruna where Hemmingway ate. It is something to look at, and have a cerveza, but the food is not as good as the pilgrim meals in the bush.
If carrying a big pack, utilize Jacotrans (7$) to transport to next planned stop. Use a day pack for rain gear and sweater. Bring a pair of light gloves; inserts will do. I walked between May 5 and June 12 and hands were cold most of the time.
Bring a bottle of Tabasco. The soups always needed a bit of zest!
WiFi got me to my home page, but could not jump to email most of the time. In a good hotel it works.
Buy a Spain phone. It's worth it when you have to make reservations for the next stop.
After Santiago I went to A Coruna to see Sir John Moore's grave (look him up!). Then found there was no way to get back to Paris from there so had to back track.
Glad I did it. Emotional end at the church in Santiago, which surprised me. Don't need to do it again. Best wishes for all peregrinos and your success!
Pablo sends

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Guy from Canada. For the past year and a half or so I have learned so much from Forum members as I prepare for my walking adventure from the Swiss / German border to Finisterre. Thank you for kindly answering my many questions! Greatly appreciated.

Three weeks to retirement and five weeks away from the start of my walk. Hard to believe it's so very close now :D ! Who knows in the end I may not make it for whatever reason however it's been great fun planning and preparing.

Not being the most technically savvy person I set out to create a blog which I intend to maintain where WiFi is available in my travels. A link to my current blog version is included below.

I would be interested in hearing any words of advice on how to improve it and certainly any comments you may have while I am walking. So far I have 5 followers...all family of course! Certainly welcome any else interested.

Happy walking to all Forum members!

Guy

http://www.caminolongwalk.blogspot.ca/

bjkale said:
Hi everyone,
My name is Billie and I am from the US, Carson City Nevada to be specific. I will begin the Camino Frances from SJPP September 29th-Oct, of course that's assuming I can read the signs and get to SJPP from Madrid :? Is anyone else planning on starting at that time?

Thanks!
Hi Bille
I live a short distance from you in Reno, NV and will start my camino on 19 Sept from SJPdP. Hope we can hook up. wayne

Wayne, I will be just a few hours ahead of you, leaving Orrison on the 19th, see you out there. Jim from MD.

€149,-
pablo1775 said:
After Santiago I went to A Coruna to see Sir John Moore's grave (look him up!).........
Pablo sends
We went to see Sir John Moore's grave last year, our taxi driver offered to take us there on route to another nearby part of Coruña and waited, at no charge.

What impressed us was not just the care given to the grave but the realisation that Moore had led his retreating army to safety over the Primitivo and comparable terrain to Coruña in the middle of winter. An amazing feat - the Dunkirk of the Napoleonic War.

The inscription reads:-
  • In memory of Sir John Moore
    who fell at the battle of Elviño while
    covering the embarkation of the British troops
    16th January 1809

For other members of the class of 2013 - if you are in Coruña then it is worth a visit, as is the Tower of Hercules which we were heading for.

Attachments

• Moore's tomb.jpg
    Moore's tomb.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 607
  • inscription.jpg
    inscription.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 604
Hi,
I made a pledge to walk a week of the Camino de Santiago and I am expecting to do it in late October. I would like to make it to Santiago de Compostela. Are there any 7 day stages that are nice and arrive at Santiago?

Thanks for the Help.

msalazardc said:
Hi,
I made a pledge to walk a week of the Camino de Santiago and I am expecting to do it in late October. I would like to make it to Santiago de Compostela. Are there any 7 day stages that are nice and arrive at Santiago?

Thanks for the Help.

msalazardc,

Welcome to the Forum!

Camino routes are usually divided into several sections. The walk west on the Camino Frances from Saria would be an appropriate 5-7 day section ending at Santiago.

The Mundicamino website gives a good overview of the terrain along the way. See >>
http://www.mundicamino.com/ruta.cfm?p=d ... pci%C3%B3n You would be walking west from Saria or from section 29 onwards. You can read further sections by clicking their numbers.

For detailed information in this Forum regarding 'all' albergues along the Camino Frances be sure to check out Ivar's wonderful new list. This includes former pilgrims' ratings and comments. See
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/camino-f ... ortomarin/

What makes a good meal, of course, is a VERY personal choice! However I have always enjoyed these two simple pilgrim-friendly restaurants on your route. In Ferreios down the hill next to the local church and cemetery is the restaurant/bar, Meson Mirabilos. Last December a delicious Sunday lunch included fresh clam soup, breaded veal cutlet with cream sauce, cheese tart, thick country bread, water, wine and coffee for 10 euros! What a bargain! Just east of Palas de Rei the hotel/restaurant, La Cabana, also has an excellent daily menu and a great bar on the wide verandah with free WiFi. I have never stayed here but always enjoy their food.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thanks Margaret.

I'm an old Trekker, and have done routes in Peru, Chile and the US, but it is my first Camino de Santiago. I'm also overweight right now, so I'll need to train before I go.
I am just overwhelmed with all the stuff connected with the Camino. The pilgrim passport, the albergues, the stamps. I'm still not sure how it all works yet.
It will be a joyous walk though, as the pledge was for somebody's recovery and he is now healthy.

i have not booked a flight and my renewed passport has not yet arrived. my brierly guide is still in the mail. i am used to backpacking in the wild and in solitude. i am a mother of four, and i will probably have to quit my well-paying job to do this.

but. here i am. saying:

october

with near-certainty. i have no idea why. but i'm sure you understand.

I just finished my Camino yesterday with the celebration at ZeroPoint at the lighthouse in Finisterre. The burning of items used on the Camino and the personal reflections as the set set over the Atlantic was the perfect ending to my Camino.

Howdy all! My partner and I will be walking SJPP to Logrono last week of July/first week of August. I'm so excited. We are going to go as lightweight as possible 25l backpack. No need for extras! Buen Camino Everyone!

Hi all, my friend and I are teachers and are walking the first 8 stages from St Jean de Pied Port to Logrono starting early July. Looking forward to it immensely. Sandra :D

€149,-
hi all,

I'm Silvia from Amsterdam, I just turned 50, and I've longed for walking the Camino de Santiago for a very long time (decades actually).
In 2010 I had silly accident with a scooter, but which literally destroyed my right knee.
After some surgeries, screws and therapy, I'm now fit enough (I think) to consider it again.
This month (June) I went from SJPP up to Punte de la Reina by car, with my 80-year old parents. I became hooked by the atmosphere.
So today I started the training - 8km in 90min ;-)
No dates yet, first I'll have to see if my knee can handle the load (and that i can have days off again).
But I dont think to be able to wait long to get started in SJPP. It's all too exciting.
I also started reading, and came across this very inspiring forum.
Many thanks for maintaining such a valuable source of information!
Hope to be telling you soon about the departure date!
Silvia

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.