• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2013

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:
It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino.
I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.
It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2013?
Buen Camino
Arn

I am going to retire and start walking in September 2013. By then, I hope to have a walking trailer that I can pile high with heavy equipment!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi I'm planning to make my camino I would like in the fall of 2013 from Le-Puy to Santiago de Compostela I have nothing decided yet, I would like to know the experts advise.
Saludos

Hi
I'm Filomena & I'm new, finally after bugging Ivar for days my luddite self is now able to post. I'm an oldish (62) neewbie, wanting to walk in 2012 but considering the training required it probably won't be till 2013, since, tho not overweight, I am not fit. I live in the coastal area of Louisiana where the highest point is an alligator's back. I have an incline treadmill & there is a local backpack group that I can train with. It's my desire to do the Camno Norte, since my Mama was born near the Besaya river. I'd like to go there first to put flowers on Abuelo's grave & find all of the family places, then head to Santillana del Mar.
I'm honored to be posting (that's if I did this right) after?on? Falcon, I've read all of your posts & would love for you to do a pamphlet on feet: Vaseline/silicone, 2-3? Socks/compeed/medipore/vigilon/talc/no talc/mastisol/scaraway??? Then maybe consider the sensitive places on arms & legs? I consider you to be the 'source' But I shall try not to sound very stalker..this is an amazing site, but mind-numbing in it's complexity. Mil gracias
Mena

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello, I'm Geneviève, from Montréal Québec. I have just returned from my first Camino. I walked from SJPdP to Santiago from May 14 to June 18. I am now a Camino addict and have already started planning my 2013 Camino. I am lucky that I can accumulate some paid hours that are added to my yearly 20 days of vacation; by 2013 I will have more than 6 weeks to do the camino.

Some people may think "She's still on a high from her last Camino. Give her a few months and she'll stop thinking about doing it again". By putting my name in the Class of 2013, I am making a promise to myself to do this again.

The only decision i have to make now is: Should I go in May-June again or late September-October?

Hello, I am Hedwig from Holland. I walked this year from Leon to Santiago de Compostela. Left on Monday the 18th of April and arrived wednesday the 4th of May.It was the most wonderful time of my life! And I have decided to go again in 2013. This decision has made me calmer and I feel better now. I still miss my wakingcompanions, they were with me from Ruitelan to Santiago. I wonder if I can replace these memories for new memories.
I have 3 weeks, so maybe the same stretch..... Suggestions are welcome.

I am willing and prepared to put my hand up hoping to be a 2013 pilgrim!! I have been discussing it, planning it, reading about it and praying about it for 12 months. I will be taking my daughter, Georgia - maybe a donkey (?) - and will start from SJPP. I have 4 - 6 weeks to travel in, and hopefully will not be in a hurry. I will be doing the pilgrimage for my father. God willing, I will meet some of you.
Regina - Coffs Harbour, Australia

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
After my wonderful first Camino ( Frances ) this year my plan is to walk again in 2013. My preference is the CaminoIngles or the Camino Vasco Interior. We will see...

Falcon,

Enjoy your retirement...as long as it doesn't include the Forum!

Over the years you've contributed much insightful and accurate information to the many members of the Forum. Falcon you truly have an encyclopedic mind.

Saludos,

Arn

My hand hovered over the 'purchase' button for return flights from Sydney to Paris for myself and Georgia for $3005. I had just had a tax return. It meant I would be walking the Camino in April next year. After all this planning, I thought "am I ready to bring it forward 12 months". Then I realised that I would have tickets, but possibly no mortgage payments, food and added sundries until my next blessing arrives.
No... I will wait and stick to the plan (unless pushed and plodded into place earlier by forces outside of me).
I bought a second hand four-wheel-drive (and kept enough for my responsible accounting) and Georgia and I will start walking some magnificent tracks in our local area of the East Coast of New South Wales in Australia in preparation for the Camino.
I love this!! Buen Camino x
Gina (48) & Georgia (8)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi
My name is Terry, I plan on walking the Camino in September 2013.
Probably alone. I long for the solitude of travel again though I do enjoy making new friends along the way. I will be 53 by then and in better shape. I do plan on staying in pensions and small hotels. I am a light sleeper and a terrible snorer especially after a few glasses of wine.

I love the idea of a trailer, but there are views of the track I have seen where the mud is calf-deep. I have been excercising with the backpack (60litres - but not all full). I'm beginning to think I won't be able to wait an extra year for this to happen. I am so full of everyone else's experiences that I feel like I have done it! But..... everything is going according to plan, signed God

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello everyone,
Me too - hooray!! I can't wait. I will be walking with my friend and neighbour - La Tortuga- who lurks here but hasn't yet shown her face. We are both turning 70 in 2013 and will be walking from Le Puy to Finisterre in the spring - something about walking that 1000 miles (1600km) that has inspired us. I've walked 2200 km on the Camino Frances since 2003 but it will be the first time for La Tortuga. In the meantime we are walking the hills here on the BC coast to make sure we have the good endurance we will need to make that journey and studying our French and Spanish so we can speak to local people.
And I received my badge from Ivar today so I hope to meet some of you along the way. (Look down at the bottom of the page for info on how to get one too if you're interested.)
Buen camino everyone,
Cecelia

Dear all,

I'm Sysilia from Indonesia
Glad that I found this forum :) Probably I will be walking alone from SJPP to Santiago sometime in 2013, still have not decided anything yet though

Buen Camino

Sysilia

Wecome. You will find inspiration, answers, and support here. Have a fun trip!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here is me at 70 dipping my toe into Forums, long walks and a life a little more in the slow lane!

I am planning to walk from SJPP in May 2013. This gives me time to train properly, plan well, read all the helpful posts and complete a little more of my degree in 2012 (back at Uni part time to keep the mind active).

I was surprised to see a strong Australian representation on the Forum, but then we are natural travellers.

Perhaps I may meet some of you 'on the way' in 2013.

Rob
Melbourne, Australia

I may begin my first Camino pilgrimage (Frances) in 2013 -- but I may also delay it three additional years -- the extra time would allow me to save funds that would allow me to take a two month leave of absence from my school and walk the Camino either in the spring or fall rather than the summer -- hard decision to make !

I have also promised my brother to walk with him in 2021 - the next holy year - if he goes with me on my first Camino -- maybe he will, maybe he won't -- time will tell. Heck, I may go then anyway as that year I will hit 30 years of service teaching and I intend to retire (at 55) then do something else with my life - seems a good way to hit the 'reset' button between careers. That year my daughter will also finish high school, so I may have a companion regardless.

Hello, I'm Karen (age 52) from Michigan, USA. I am planning to walk the Camino in autumn 2013. I am currently overweight and in a diet and exercise program that will help me to become fit enough to make the journey by that time. I have wanted to walk the Camino for a long time but knew that my physical condition wouldn't permit such a thing, and since I'm getting older it's kind of a "now or never" situation. I have already lost 20 pounds (about 9 kg) and I'm pretty excited about becoming ready for this undertaking.

I hope to learn a great deal from the people in these forums. Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My name is John. I am from Salem, Oregon U.S.A. I plan to walk the Camino Frances, my first Camino, in late Summer of 2013. It will take me that long to accrue enough vacation time from my work. This also gives me the time to put away money, buy the necessary equipment, train for hiking longer distances, and hopefully learn some conversational Spanish also.
I am thrilled to have found this place, and am busying myself with reading and learning all I can about how to get the most out of the experience. I will greatly appreciate any advice and encouragement that anyone has to offer. Thank you! :D

My sister and I plan to do our first Camino in July/August 2013. This forum has been a veritable font of useful information. Thanks to all who contribute. We just got our gear this week and are about to begin our training. We are very excited! :D

Probably Winchester - Mont St Michel - Bilbao - Camino Olvidado - Invierno - Santiago

A selection of Camino Jewellery
reg2450 said:
I love the idea of a trailer, but there are views of the track I have seen where the mud is calf-deep. I have been excercising with the backpack (60litres - but not all full). I'm beginning to think I won't be able to wait an extra year for this to happen. I am so full of everyone else's experiences that I feel like I have done it! But..... everything is going according to plan, signed God
I think it's not a good idea to walk with a trailer, except if you are absolutly enable to bring a backpack less than eight kg (without water and a little food) .
My wife and I walked the entire way from Le Puy to Santiago last year. We plan to do again Camino Frances in July 2012. You can read our advices in a bad english on our blog http://alaquarelle.wordpress.com/category/saint-james/. This blog is also about drawing sketches on the camino.
You can specially have a look on this page : http://alaquarelle.wordpress.com/20...-what-to-bring-in-your-backpack-for-st-james/http://alaquarelle.wordpress.com/20...-what-to-bring-in-your-backpack-for-st-james/
If you read a little french, the same things are on my other blog http://carnets-de-croquis.blogspot.com/search/label/Compostelle vous aurez les même informations mais dans un bon français.

Buon Camino A

Alt

falcon269 said:
The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:
It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino.
I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.
It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2013?
Buen Camino
Arn

I am going to retire and start walking in September 2013. By then, I hope to have a walking trailer that I can pile high with heavy equipment!

We too, we are retired since 2008 and we realised our old dream for fifteen years by walking from Le-Puy-en-Velay in France on 19th May 2010. We arrived in Santiago on july 22th .
My wife and I we have done this long hiking during sixty-five days. Last summer, we had followed the same lane as Louis Stevenson with his donkey Modestine but it was not so wonderfull. It's why we hope to walk another time next year from SJPDP to Santiago.

I think it's the best hiking for meeting people of all over the world

Alt
http://alaquarelle.wordpress.com/20...-what-to-bring-in-your-backpack-for-st-james/

I plan on doing the Camino alone starting the second week of September in 2013. I will turn 33 on the Camino. Over the past couple weeks I have started the early planning stages. Reading on what to pack, what to expect, expenses, figuring out traveling to and from, etc.
Now that I have it in my head I am doing this - I can't stop thinking about it!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,
I am planning to walk or ride the route in 2013 (1st time). I would prefer to walk it but my partner is not happy about me embarking on the journey alone (he cant join me for medical reasons). I havent fixed a date yet but Im hoping that by next year I willl have found someone to walk with me or to have convinced my man that its safe to walk it alone.
Trish

I just walked the Camino Frances this past Aug-Sept and can honestly say I felt as safe there as I do walking my neighborhood at home. I was walking solo, am 61 years old and female. Perhaps if your husband watched some of the documentaries available he would be more trusting.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
pal said:
Perhaps if your husband watched some of the documentaries available he would be more trusting.

Hi,
I dont think he will need to.I will just show him some of the wonderful things that have been written on these forums. If that doesnt convince him nothing will.
Trish :D

Hi,
Today I learned that I am allowed to take all my 2013 leave at the same time :D Which means that I SHALL be on the Camino de Santiago route from May 20th to June 21st 2013. I am soooo excited. I have already bored the pants off of anyone that will listen. Most think Im crazy ,hay ho :shock: They all ask me 'Why' ?. I honestly dont know why at the moment, its just something that I feel I have to do. I will probably know why when ive done it.
So I am going to invest in a good quality rucksack and walking boots and start my training ASAP.
Any one else planning to be en route around that time ?

Trish

Trishkerry said:
Hi,
Today I learned that I am allowed to take all my 2013 leave at the same time :D Which means that I SHALL be on the Camino de Santiago route from May 20th to June 21st 2013. Trish

Did you finally beat your old man into submission, then? :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, my name is Paul. I'm from Washington DC, and am hoping to walk the Camino from SJPdP to Santiago in the spring of 2013. My interest in the Camino springs from my lifelong friendship with Brian Smith, a college classmate who died way too early last March. He was an avid hiker, known for what we affectionately called "Brian's Death Marches," which began with a casual walk in Point Reyes National Seashore one Thanksgiving Friday, during which Brian's 85 year old father turned his ankle, requiring us to carry him down the final hill to the parking lot after dark. (At the time, Brian's dad played tennis daily.) I had read about the Camino, and filed it into my mental "Bucket List" of things to do with Brian after retirement. I recently read a couple of articles about "The Way," and they re-sparked my interest. I mentioned the movie and the walk to Brian's life partner a couple of days ago, and she immediately responded with an enthusiastic "let's do it. March 2013." I chose the Camino Frances as our route because I recognized Roncevalles as the place where Roland died in the Chanson de Roland, and because approximately 500 km seems like such a nice, round number.

I'm looking forward to meeting many of you virtually on this forum and personally on the Camino. Buen Camino a todos!

Did you finally beat your old man into submission, then? :D

1st I made him read the posts on here about how safe it is on the Camino then I sat him down and made him watch The Way. About halfway through the film he turned to me and said 'I spose we had better see about getting you some walking gear then' :lol:
Thats good enough for me :wink:

Trishkerry said:
1st I made him read the posts on here about how safe it is on the Camino then I sat him down and made him watch The Way. About halfway through the film he turned to me and said 'I spose we had better see about getting you some walking gear then' :lol:
Thats good enough for me :wink:

Good on ya! Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
bluenote said:
My name is John. I am from Salem, Oregon U.S.A. I plan to walk the Camino Frances, my first Camino, in late Summer of 2013. It will take me that long to accrue enough vacation time from my work. This also gives me the time to put away money, buy the necessary equipment, train for hiking longer distances, and hopefully learn some conversational Spanish also.
I am thrilled to have found this place, and am busying myself with reading and learning all I can about how to get the most out of the experience. I will greatly appreciate any advice and encouragement that anyone has to offer. Thank you! :D

My name is Rachel and it looks like we may be on the Camino at the same time, John. I'm hopefully going to start my camino the 1st of September 2013. I'm from Springfield, MO and it will be my first camino, too. Perhaps if when the time comes we are still on a similar track, we can meet up at some point.

Paul, John, Rachel and Trish...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2013!

Reading about the "Why" you'all are walking the Way resonates throughout the Forum membership. We each reach a point in our lives where the spark is kindled and, with a fair breeze here, a prod there, the flame takes hold and you are off on Camino.

Over the next year, especially if you remain active on the Forum, you will read, ponder, reconsider and then finally make a firm decision to walk the Way.

Making the decision is a lot like getting engaged...it's not real unless you have "set the date".

On the Camino..it's when you've bought your tickets!

Buen Camino,

Arn

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Arn said:
Making the decision is a lot like getting engaged...it's not real unless you have "set the date".
Arn

Setting off 18th MAY 2013! Ive got 35 days in which to complete it. I might do a shorter one before then though as a confidence builder. :D

[quote="
My wife and I walked the entire way from Le Puy to Santiago last year. We plan to do again Camino Frances in July 2012. You can read our advices in a bad english on our blog http://alaquarelle.wordpress.com/category/saint-james/. This blog is also about drawing sketches on the camino.
You can specially have a look on this page : http://alaquarelle.wordpress.com/20...-what-to-bring-in-your-backpack-for-st-james/http://alaquarelle.wordpress.com/20...-what-to-bring-in-your-backpack-for-st-james/
If you read a little french, the same things are on my other blog http://carnets-de-croquis.blogspot.com/search/label/Compostelle vous aurez les même informations mais dans un bon français.

Buon Camino A

Alt[/quote]'

thank you for all this wonderful information

We had planned to walk this year, but the injury my husband sustained last year has not healed enough.
We'll likely walk the VDLP beginning at Caceres where we had to end last year. We are disappointed to have to wait so long, but optimistic about 2013!
Happy to join the Class of 2013!

Hello

This is our/my first post ever. We walked a few kilometers on the Camino this past fall and are hooked. We will walk from SJPDP in August of 2013, shortly after I retire. We've started walking already and are having a blast obtaining the stuff we'll need. I guess this is an age related thing to go to walking as we've been runners when younger, then bikers, now we've added walking. Hope to see more of your out there and we are always looking for helpful advice on the trek ahead. Glad to be joing in the club! It's fascinating to me that we'll walk the (approximate) routes that have been walked by pilgrems forever. Amazing!

Arn said:

On the Camino..it's when you've bought your tickets!

Arn

I'VE BOOKED MY TICKET :!: flying out to Santiago de Compostella on 18th June 2012. Going to walk to Finisterre - Muxia . This will be my trial run before the Compostella Frances next year :D

HOW EXCITED AM I :lol:

Hi,

I am planning my pilgimage in 2013... still working on the best month though (weather wise). I will be cycling with my two sons. We will start at St Jean. This will be a pilgimage for me and I have started the process by reconnecting with my Franscican roots and a number of planned retreats with the Jesuits. I have been one of those watching from a distance, but have been contemplating this journey for a number of years and next year seems right. :D .

If anyone could advise me with regard to better months in terms of weather and traffic volume(!). I would most appreciate this.

Torrent1964

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Torrent...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2013!

Biking the Camino can be a hoot...especially if you "give a hoot" prior to blasting past pilgrims walking to your front, or around a bend. Consider a bell...it's shrill enough to get attention and runs on finger power.

Now, as to your question: Best time...consider April thru October. The snow/rainy season will start to peter off, or will be a few weeks from beginning. There are stretches that can be quite hazardous for pilgrims on foot, never mind on a bike. Consider taking the road way at these locations. Choose a sturdy bike with mountain bike characteristics.

Buen Camino

Arn

Arn said:
Torrent...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2013!

Biking the Camino can be a hoot...especially if you "give a hoot" prior to blasting past pilgrims walking to your front, or around a bend. Consider a bell...it's shrill enough to get attention and runs on finger power.

Now, as to your question: Best time...consider April thru October. The snow/rainy season will start to peter off, or will be a few weeks from beginning. There are stretches that can be quite hazardous for pilgrims on foot, never mind on a bike. Consider taking the road way at these locations. Choose a sturdy bike with mountain bike characteristics.

Buen Camino

We are hardened DH mountainbikers riding in the Alps, Wales and Scotland... What we are not is hardened road riders and our training will have to take on a different aspect me thinks, but thanks for the advice. We will use our Hardtails rather than full suz and have paniers probably. I had heard that May can still be quite rainy (?).
Arn

Hello everyone!
I am starting to save my vacation time so I can do SJPDP to Santiago in April 2013. I have been fantasizing about this trip for years and I am so excited to read all of the helpful information on this board! I wish you all the most incredible adventure of your lives! Buen camino!
Best,
Nora

mgrussell said:
Just curious to see who is planning a mid May 2013 to June trip? Mark R

Hi Mark and Gisele.
I am planning (hoping) to walk the Camino mid May next year too providing that my employer will allow me to take all of my leave in one hit. I have purchased the Pilgrim Forum Badge (available at bottom of page) to sew onto my rucksack and I shall be looking out for others that have done the same. Let me know when you have a definate date and I will do likewise. It would be lovely to have someone to look out for/meet up with :D

Cath and I completed our first CF in April 2009.

Since then we have thought about it every day and bombarded our friends and family about how special it was whenever an opportunity arose.

Personally, I still struggle to explain why we undertook this on in 2009 (apart from being inspired by a book I purchased at Canberra airport one day ) and still find it hard to articulate why it was so special to me and obviously to many others.

All I know is that it was the experience of my life. A turning point. Learning what you really need can be carried on your back once you work out what you really need. Learning how to relax and do nothing without feeling guilt. A lesson for life generally perhaps.

We have now made the call and will be there again at SJDP in the first few days of April 2013 ready to walk slowly to SDC

Just over 13 months to wait, plan and pack our gear. This time we intend it to be 6/8 kilos and allow around 40 days. Can't wait.

Count us in for the class of 2013 and see you on the path somewhere

Buen Camino

Ian

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
mgrussell said:
Hi Trish

We would be thrilled to stay in touch and, with luck, we share a coffee, tea or wine with you somewhere in this journey!

Hi,
That would be great :D I have purchased a really good guide book. Apparently lots of pilgrims use/recommend it. Its called ' A Pilgrims Guide To The CAMINO DE SANTIAGO' by John Brierley. It really is a comprehensive guide with ALL the information you will need.
Happy Planning.
See you next year (hopefully)

Hi Mark

Yes I hope we might catch up at some point but it looks like a gap of a few weeks between our planned dates
We might still be in SDC when you finish though as we intend to go very slow and have several days off as needed
We have done it before and and at the same time of the year
Our plan is to leave Australia on or near the end of March 2013 and head via London to Bayonne
I imagine it will mean we start in the first week of April and anticipate it taking around 40 days

Hopefully our 2009 camino has given us a little insight on timing, distances and needs etc. No doubt though the conditions, fellow pilgrims, weather and our own capacity will throw up a whole new set of experiences and challenges.
We have chosen the same route and rough dates. Somehow we just couldn't bring ourselves to chose anything else.
This Camino (2013) will be for me to mark my 60th birthday and we intend afterwards to spend many weeks travelling europe in a camper van. I am hoping we can hire something near SDC and ideally drop off in or near Paris 4or5 weeks later
It is great to see you participating on the forum and I am sure you will have a great Camino both in the planning and on the way

buen camino

Ian

Hi Arn,

You stated that some parts are best done on road if cycling, what sections would you say are best on road? I can then make note of them. Appreciate the help.

Torrent

Hello,
My husband, Brent, and I are planning on walking from Leon to Santiago in June, 2013. I am looking forward to getting to know some of our fellow hikers on this forum. We live in Columbus, Ohio and are just beginning our planning for this adventure.

Hi madame_shepard,
My wife and I also want to make a Camino walk next year. We also live in Columbus, Ohio. This is a great place to learn from other peoples experiences.
Joe

Hi all!! Class of 2012 but most likely 2013. I wanna wanna go.... The world is crushing down on me and I need space. I need clean air and just the sound of my feet treading a path to Santiago.
I am living in Mainland China right now so getting stuff is a little diffucult but I will prevail!!! Still not sure which route. Was going to go Paris to the coastal road. But after i found out it is mostly road walking I am aiming for Arles or one of the others. But then up to thenorthern coast path.
I will be trudging alone. But happy about it. I think I will camp as much as i can. (I think i snore so I would not want to keep anypne awake, Or make enemies. LOL) So HI By the way my name is Wendy]

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Two and a half years ago I was in Santiago as a tourist and saw all of the "backpackers" near the Cathedral. All I could think was 'why?' and 'what is it with the scallop shells?'
One year ago the Camino called to me. It was a normal day in every other way but the call was clear and my life was changed. Someone else in the forum said "The experience begins when you start planning" and I am finding that to be very true.
Now, today, it is one year until I begin my pilgrimage and I am ready to declare my intent. I plan to walk the via de la Plata in March and April of 2013. There, I've said it!
I am 62 years old and not fit but I will follow the good advice of others and have already begun taking a good long walk each day which will, over time, become a longer hike each day and eventually with my fully loaded pack.
My route is flexible but timing is not. Any and all advice will be welcomed. I have been following some of the posts for awhile and am now looking forward to meeting some of you both here in the forum and there on the Camino.

Hi Janet!
Welcome to the Forum.
Just to let you know I'm walking Salamanca to SdC [Via de la Plata] end of April this year. Keep in touch, and I'll send you pictures.
Meanwhile check out http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm
Age doesn't matter [I'm 73]. Speed doesn't matter - it's NOT a race. I'm walking alone, but know there will be many other peregrinos to keep me company if I want company - but I prefer to walk alone, to take my time, to enjoy God's creation, and to take hundreds of photographs!
I've ticked the box that asks for all new forum letters to be sent to me by e-mail, and learn a lot from them.
Relax! Enjoy! [as you certainly will!]
Buen camino!
Stephen.

Hi Janet.

You will love the VDLP in spring! I walked the section from Merida to Salamanca a year ago in March, and the wildflowers along the way were spectacular. I'm so excited for you.

Melanie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello everyone!
My wife and I are planning to do the Camino in May of 2013 for a number of reasons. We are high school sweethearts, and we moved to Spain (Madrid) in 2007 when we were 19 years old, despite intense criticism from many people around us. We had some of the best memories living there teaching English, and when we moved home to the state of Washington in the summer of 2008, Spain had definitely become a part of who we were. We got married in August of 2010, and moved to southern California to continue our "journey" together, trying to experience new ways of life and meet new people. Our conversations together still always reflect on Spain and the defiance of the social norm; namely, our decision to experience life and get out in the world rather than stay behind and get stuck in some boring job where we are unhappy. Such are the lives of many people we know. In May of 2013, I will have completed my Master's degree in International Education, a huge milestone in my life, and my wife and I want to do something unique to celebrate our moving forward into an exciting future together. We have been talking about walking the Camino for a while, but now with a decent tax return this year and time ahead to be able to save, we have made the decision to make this dream a reality.

El Camino de Santiago represents many things to us. Primarily, it represents our journey together, working hard and sticking it out together despite people telling us we are foolish for what we do. It represents our sense of adventure, our desire to have interesting life experiences that most people only talk about. It also brings us back to the country we have missed for the last 5 years and have been trying so hard to get back to.

What do we expect to get out of the Camino after all is said and done? We'll leave this one up to the Camino itself. Who knows what will happen :)

Mark Sper and KP will be there in September 2013!! we are lifelong friends out to walk the Camino with no greater ideal than to do it as friends

Hello all , and Good Morning from Joe in Troy NY
i will be starting my Camino in April '13....i have just started planning and hope that i have picked a good month and hope to meet many other pilgrams along the way......if anyone woul dlike to talk or if anyone has any information that you feel i may need or would like to send me please feel free to contact me at XXXMONKXXX@aol.com......i look forword to hearing from other pilgrims and hope i can help out othes in there quest for completing the Pilgramage....Bueno Camino to all!!!!!! :wink:

€60,-
A revelation unto itself... A significantly spiritual revelation. Yes, I am excited! This time next year, God willing, I will be a year older, a year wiser and walking in Spain.

Welcome to all the new 2013 nominations on this string

Cath and I hope to see some of you along the trail

We plan to start in first few days of April 2013 and take around 35 days if needed - followed by many weeks in a camper van throughout Europe

This will be our second Camino on the same route and at the same time of year. We are sure it wont be like our first experience in 2009, but will no doubt be special again for a whole set of new reasons.

Looking forward to the days where I only have to worry about my feet, back, where to sleep, what to eat and will we get to shelter before that cloud bursts.

Counting down the weeks

buen camino

ian

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm a 21 year old college student who plans to do my Camino (Frances) from mid/end of May until end of June. Doing it while I'm still in school so 1. I won't have to pay back my loans quite yet, so I can use all job earnings towards my Camino, and 2. I don't have a full-time job where I would need to use vacation time. Simply using my given Summer vacation time :)

Hope to see some of you 2013ers on the path!

I'm Alexander, 47 years, from Minsk, Belarus. I'm planning my Camino in June 2013 for 3 weeks. I'll walk from St Pied de Port to Logrono, then by train to Leon, and finish from Leon to Santiago de Compostella. The main problem is to get my visa to France, and I don't know how get out from Santiago to home country quickly and for low cost.

I'm Brent from Columbus, OH. My wife Lisa and I are planning to do the Camino in June of 2013. We only have two weeks so we'll be doing a couple different sections. We were drawn to the Camino by watching "The Way".

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Chunks said:
I'm Brent from Columbus, OH. My wife Lisa and I are planning to do the Camino in June of 2013. We only have two weeks so we'll be doing a couple different sections. We were drawn to the Camino by watching "The Way".

I was also drawn in by "The Way" and plan to do mine around the same time period! See you on the trail :)

Hola and thank you all for your wisdom and experience!

My name is Dave and I live at the foot of Pikes Peak in Colorado (USA). I have only recently answered the call and will be walking in the September 2013 time frame.

A proper introduction of myself would take up much more room in this post then necessary; don't we all have great histories and long stories. So... If your interested you can view my introduction post here.

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/pilgrim-introductions/topic13195.html

Hello,
My name is Carol and I live in Phoenix, AZ. A few of us from a hiking group are planning to make the pilgrimmage sometime in April/May 2013. Flying into Madrid, then taking train or bus to Leon to begin our journey. I just finished watching the movie, "The Way" and very excited about my personal experience of this journey. To those that travel this road before me, may your journey be safe.

Posted this over a year ago and the time is now here! There are just two of us from the our hiking group making the pilgrimage on Camino Frances. We will fly into Paris on April 17, 2013, spend the night, then make our way to SJPP the following day. Staying at the Gite Ultreia in SJPP.Taking the advice from many of the postings,we are staying at Orisson. After that, we stay where ever our legs take us. We plan to go to Muxia and Finesstere then to Madrid. Heading home to Phoenix on June 11.
Buen Camino to all that follow!
Carol

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello from sunny Tacoma in Washington State, USA!

My wife Francine had originally planned on walking the Camino Francés in September 2012, starting from Roncesvalles, but reality has intruded and we've rescheduled to April of 2013.

So we've got about a year to plan and to get in some sort of walking shape. Or at least I do... it's entirely possible that Francine will attend some sort of knitting convention in Wales instead.

I've very excited for the Camino, whereas she isn't nearly as enthused - and it was her idea to begin with! :lol:

By way of an update: We and by we I mean Dawid (me 48yrs), Walter (G' Father 71 yrs), Jan-Erik (youngest son 18yrs) and Fr. Andrew (Priest) have begun our training for the Camino which will at present either be late April (priestly duties preventing earlier) or September (Exams &Heat preventing earlier). We are cycling from Madrid. My father has not been on a bike for 50+ years just road his first blue route on Saturday! What is lovely is how the family as a whole is really enthusiastic for this. So, approxiamtely 12 months and counting. Although we are cycling and from the Madrid end, we will look for you if you are on the route when we are.

May your skies be blue, your shade deep, your water plentiful, your food nourishing and you rest complete. :D Be Blessed

Torrent

Hi All,
I plan to walk in early June 2013 starting in Sarria. Not a full Camino but a small taste of what I hope to do once I can fully retire from teaching! I am unsure about getting to Sarria as most flights from Texas will fly into Santiago however I do not want to fly into Santiago as I want to walk into the city by my own steps on the Camino. Which leads me to finding an alternative airport. Any suggestions on easiest way to get from La Corona Airport to Sarria? I think it is about 74 km.
Buen Camino!
Karen
Corpus Christi, TX

Greetings from Oregon! I read an article about the Camino six months ago and can think of nothing else since. I'm in my late 50s and started walking for fitness two years ago and have walked two half marathons and one full marathon so far, with a third half scheduled for May. I never dreamed that all my training would prepare me for a walking pilgrimage! I would love to walk from SJDP to Santiago and someday I'm certain that I will, but in 2013, my husband wants to join me and walk the last 100k stage from Sarria to Santiago. We farm, so we can't do the Camino in the "normal" months when we're very busy - all our vacations are taken in February. I'm looking forward to our 2013 walk, regardless of the cold, rain, snow or whatever we encounter. I might add that we are Catholics, so making even a part of this pilgrimage will hold a special meaning for me.

I hope to discover on this forum many good tips for walking the Camino in winter, as well as gleaning all the general advice this forum seems to contain.

Hello - I'm Suzanne Wilson, from the Panhandle of Florida, and I too will be walking my first Camino in April 2013 from St. Jean and plan to go to the "end of the world", finishing at the sea. I am planning to fly into Paris and possibly leave from Madrid...but that is still in the planning stages.

This web site is a genius - thanks to all who manage/maintain and to all of the folks who contribute!

I have been told I have a "Gypsy gene" because I can't seem to stay put for too long. Lately I have been very restless and couldn't seem to figure out my next move, nothing I looked at or tried worked....then I came upon some info about the Camino de Santiago about the same time the movie "The Way" came out....as soon as I read the description and then saw the movie - I knew this is what I needed to do. Now that I have made the decision to go I feel so much more at peace... pretty amazing considering how crazy my real life is at this point. I have spent my entire life taking care of other people and it has caught up with me...so now this is my first step towards taking care of me.

I shared this with my husband after much prayer and contemplation. He said he saw a change in me and couldn't figure out what was going on...a wonderful man he is and fully supports my journey with out him! So, off I go...looking forward to getting the hiking boots on my feet and on the road. Buen Camino!

Hi Suzanne
We may see you on route
My wife Catherine and I intend to leave in the first week of April to do the same route. StJdP to Santiago and probably on to the end of the world as well
We have done this once before and are drawn back to do it all again. If you are interested you can see our blog and see the weather, sites and also Caths diary notes for our 2009 Camino.
Just look up -
http://www.walkingtotheend.com
Hope to see you on the trail -we will have the forum badge on our packs
Safe travels
Ian

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello everybody,
my husband and I are planning to do some of the camino in Sept 2013 - the most time we can get off is two weeks so we can't do it all at once. We celebrate our Silver Wedding this year and we want to do something purposeful, spiritual and in thanksgiving for our time together ( and a cruise didn't appeal!).
We are from central Scotland so will need the summer to prepare.
Buen Camino!

Ian - I am probably leaving more towards the end of April because of my work schedule...Thank you for sharing your blog posts. I will certainly read and savor the information as this is my first trip and I tend to over plan, so I am told.
Thanks again - Suzanne

Hi, I'm Wendy and I am hoping to do the Camino Frances in late April next year.

I first found out about it through a book by Paulo Coelho called The Pilgrimage a couple of years ago then I saw "The Way" and I was completely drawn into it and literally 5 days ago I decided I wanted to do the Camino next year.

Thankfully I have a husband that supports me so that I can spent a month or more away from home. Oh and I'll be 36 :wink:

walkingtotheend said:
Hi Suzanne
My wife Catherine and I intend to leave in the first week of April to do the same route. StJdP to Santiago and probably on to the end of the world as well
We have done this once before and are drawn back to do it all again. If you are interested you can see our blog and see the weather, sites and also Caths diary notes for our 2009 Camino.
Just look up -
http://www.walkingtotheend.com
Hope to see you on the trail -we will have the forum badge on our packs
Safe travels
Ian

Hi Ian,

I'm very much enjoying reading your 2009 blog posts.

I will be leaving St Jean about the same time - perhaps we shall see each other! I'll have to add the forum badge to my "to buy" list...

thom

Hi to my fellow Class Mates of 2013
I thought I did this before but the server has no record of me. So I had to re-register. So here goes again.

I am Karen 61 from Jacksonville, Florida, US and I will be walking part of the Camino Frances in September/Oct of 2013. Probably about 3 weeks on the road with a couple days on either side for travel and rest. The jury is out as to whether I will have company on the journey. My sister and my son are both interested but haven't made firm decisions as yet. So I might just be a solo pilgrim.

I first heard about the Camino when I read Shirley MacLaine's book 'The Camino' years ago. Never imagined that I could do something like that. This spring I went to see 'The Way' on a whim, I was really intending to see a different movie.) Loved the movie but still never thought that I could do that. Then Saturday while eating my breakfast at Panera and browsing the internet and reading a novel on my iPad the idea that I could do this came to me almost out of the blue. Why? I couldn't say!
I have been on a mission to improve my health for the last 6 weeks or so. I was tired of being fat and I wanted to be able to fit into the clothes in regular shops on my trip to Ireland this coming October. Something I couldn't do when I went to Mexico a few years ago. I wanted to be able to move better. I not be too infirm to see all the sites in Ireland.
And so I have answered the call. I have been reading all I could about the Camino and started a training program I hope will get me ready for this journey.

WayWalker63 said:
Hi to my fellow Class Mates of 2013
I thought I did this before but the server has no record of me. So I had to re-register. So here goes again.

I am Karen 61 from Jacksonville, Florida, US and I will be walking part of the Camino Frances in September/Oct of 2013. Probably about 3 weeks on the road with a couple days on either side for travel and rest. The jury is out as to whether I will have company on the journey. My sister and my son are both interested but haven't made firm decisions as yet. So I might just be a solo pilgrim.

I first heard about the Camino when I read Shirley MacLaine's book 'The Camino' years ago. Never imagined that I could do something like that. This spring I went to see 'The Way' on a whim, I was really intending to see a different movie.) Loved the movie but still never thought that I could do that. Then Saturday while eating my breakfast at Panera and browsing the internet and reading a novel on my iPad the idea that I could do this came to me almost out of the blue. Why? I couldn't say!
I have been on a mission to improve my health for the last 6 weeks or so. I was tired of being fat and I wanted to be able to fit into the clothes in regular shops on my trip to Ireland this coming October. Something I couldn't do when I went to Mexico a few years ago. I wanted to be able to move better. I not be too infirm to see all the sites in Ireland.
And so I have answered the call. I have been reading all I could about the Camino and started a training program I hope will get me ready for this journey.

Hello Karen,

Welcome to the Forum!

You will find much helpful information here as you plan your Camino. Past pilgrims who are Forum members are always eager to share their experiences and advice.

September and October are wonderful months to walk the Camino. However you must be prepared for varied weather. Nights can be chilly or cold and freezing rain or even snow might occur. Be prepared!

Since the crowds of summer are past you will find the welcome at those albergues which are open to be most sincere. By mid October not all albergues will be open but the hospitaleros usually know who is on the next stage. Most will either be heated or have blankets.

Good luck with your training. Remember that the most common Camino injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! Started walking slowly and very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Easy does it.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Margaret

Hello, I am Lail from Odessa Texas, USA and my hope and plan is to walk from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela and maybe to Fisterra starting mid April of 2013 and to celebrate my 49 birthday in early May somewhere on the Camino. If not, then in 2014.

Three weeks ago I had not known of the Camino de Santiago and most likely would still be ignorant if it was not for the movie The Way. The idea of the pilgrimage has struck a chord in me that has not faded. So I have thought about it a great deal, did some research and joined this forum and each of those steps have reinforced this desire to make this journey. A desire I have yet to understand. While I work on that my training will be lengthy as I am out of shape, over weight and a type II diabetic. Yes another typical American. :roll: I have no goals or expectations of what this will be like other than I will have a lot of time and miles to think it over.

I would like to thank everyone as the posts on this forum have been extremely helpful in understanding how to go about preparing for this journey ( yup, I am a planner). Ivar, thank you, I will contact you shortly about one of your great patches. :D

Windswept.west said:
Hello, I am Lail from Odessa Texas, USA and my hope and plan is to walk from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela and maybe to Fisterra starting mid April of 2013 and to celebrate my 49 birthday in early May somewhere on the Camino. If not, then in 2014.

Three weeks ago I had not known of the Camino de Santiago and most likely would still be ignorant if it was not for the movie The Way. The idea of the pilgrimage has struck a chord in me that has not faded. So I have thought about it a great deal, did some research and joined this forum and each of those steps have reinforced this desire to make this journey. A desire I have yet to understand. While I work on that my training will be lengthy as I am out of shape, over weight and a type II diabetic. Yes another typical American. :roll: I have no goals or expectations of what this will be like other than I will have a lot of time and miles to think it over.

I would like to thank everyone as the posts on this forum have been extremely helpful in understanding how to go about preparing for this journey ( yup, I am a planner). Ivar, thank you, I will contact you shortly about one of your great patches. :D

Hello Lail,

Welcome to the Forum!

As you know from browsing these Forum threads hold a wealth of information.

You will find so much to help you plan your future Camino. Past pilgrims love to share their advice and experiences. Such sharing is a large part of the Camino spirit; besides being informative for future pilgrims it help keeps memories current for experienced pilgrims.

Spring would be a lovely time to walk. However, the weather can be extremely varied. This year in April there was heavy rain and even snow. Be prepared!! Whenever you go it is useful to ask the hospitalero each night about the forecast for the trail ahead.

Good luck with your training and planning.

Buen Camino,

Margaret

Hola! Nora, madame_shepard, Slowwalker, Wendy, 4Robin, Alexander, Chunks, Karen, oregonwalker, frankiebobs, Wendy and Windswept.west!

You all are most welcome to the forum!
You are also most welcome to ask any questions you might have!

Buen camino a todos!
annie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi right back at ya Annie!
Margaret- thanks for the welcome.
Welcome to Lail- I too have a long road to get physically ready for this trek.

With planning for my Camino Walk and my trip to Ireland this October I am finding I hard to sleep. Thoughts of both trips dance in my head as some sort of manic sugar plum fairies. I think I really need to start meditating to get myself back in the here and now for at least a few moments each day. Deep breaths, Karen, deep breaths!

Down a couple more pounds since the other week. :D Got a good pair of sneaks with insoles that have nice arch support. :) Much more comfortable to walk in. I have been researching and looking a hiking shoes and boots. I will start looking seriously in a few weeks as I want them for tramping around Ireland as well. Even though they are heavier I am leaning toward boots since my right ankle is a little iffy at times.

Still don't know who if anyone is going to walk with me. I have maybes from my middle sister, son and one of my cousins. I am trying to be patient and understand that not everyone makes up their minds as fast as I do nor is everyone's life as flexible as mine is at this stage of my life. They will come to the Camino in their own time if they are meant to come at all.

Well that's the new for now.

I for one would love to hear up dates on my classmates preparetions for their Caminos.

Hola,
Margret, Annie and Way Walker, thank you for the warm welcome. Margret I am reading your blog from your 2004, I am at Hospital de Orbigo, the Camino will provide is a concept that will be interesting for me as I am typically the person helps people up and dust them off. Annie, don’t worry, shy is a tag that doesn’t stick on me for long. WayWalker from thousands of mile away we walk the same path and I welcome the company. I have worn Marrrell hiking shoes for years. Good support and durability and vented so my feet stay cool. Only issue is that same venting allows water to get in. That’s fine here where we had only 7 inches of rain last year, I am less sure about the Camino.

I am planning this trip solo as my family thinks it would be great for me; translation, only Lail would spend money to walk in the rain for 35 days and enjoy it. I love them, but I as I think my brother said, I march to the beat of a different trombone player. :D

Lail,
My BF's reply when I asked him if he would want to go with me was " why would I want to spend all that money and fly thousands of miles just to walk through a country where I don't speak the language" :roll: So I get your family's reaction. The Camino doesn't call everyone.

Actually I think we are only about 1400 miles apart as I live in Jacksonville, FL. :lol:

I have done Utah/Grand Canyon by myself (a very lovely but quiet trip) and will be doing Ireland for 3 weeks in Oct/Nov by myself, including driving on the "wrong side of the road" so I think I can handle the the Camino. :arrow:

I am doing my Camino to celebrate my return to fitness and good health as well as my 63rd birthday.
Thanks for the tip of the Merrell hiking boots. I will look into them. I think I want a waterproof pair as I live in a much rainier area that you, also for Ireland and Spain.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I asked for and received a 2 month sabatical next year. Will start from SJPP in early September. Between now and then walking whenever I can. I will turn 61 about the time I arrive (God willing) in Santiago de C.

Milepost99 said:
I asked for and received a 2 month sabatical next year. Will start from SJPP in early September. Between now and then walking whenever I can. I will turn 61 about the time I arrive (God willing) in Santiago de C.

Hello Milepost99,

Welcome to the Forum!

You will find much information here to help you plan your future Camino. Be sure to check this thread compiled by/for those pilgrims aged 60 and over. frequently-asked-questions/topic12014.html

Feel free to ask lots of questions and give answers. Most pilgrims love to share their advice and experiences. Such sharing is a large part of the Camino spirit; besides being informative for future pilgrims it help keeps memories current for experienced pilgrims as we recall our journeys anew.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret

Hello My name is Andy. I am 51 from Sacramento, CA, USA, I am planning on walking the Camino from SJPP in June of 2013. I am an avid walker, but just a few miles per day. My wife introduced me to the Camino and Pilgrimage. At first it seemed like a crazy thought so I put it out of my mind. Funny enough It just kept creeping back in. So I decided to do some investigation. Now frankly I just cannot stop thinking about it. I am so looking forward to the experience. I hope to meet some of you on the trail in 2013.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi my name is Annie. I'm from Oregon, USA, in my 50s, and I plan to walk the Camino from SJPDP in May-June 2013. I'm so grateful for this forum and the generosity of all who so willing share their experiences and knowledge. This will be my first Camino -- somehow, I don't think it will be my last!

If you're like me, when you decide to do something, you stress over every little point. I've spend the past week or so trying to soak up every little droplet of information about the Camino, the right stuff to take, the right way to get there, the right way to get home, etc. So here is what I posted in another forum for my introduction. I'm not sure how may Camino forums there are out there, but I'll probably end up joining every single one.

I'm turning 30 in a few days and maybe I'm starting my mid-life crisis early, I don't know. I'd get into my reasons for going like religion, the challenge, the desire for new experiences, and the need to finally do something with my life, but I'd be typing for days.

Physically, I don't know if the journey is doable. I'm terribly out of shape. I walked 3/4 of a mile this morning and I was huffing and puffing pretty bad by the time I got home. Too many cigarettes and Whoppers over the past ten years I guess. I guess that's why I plan to go next year. Having a goal to work towards makes getting healthy a little easier.

I'm not sure how I'm going to pay for this either. I did some basic figures, and I'll have spent easily $2k before I even reach Europe on travel and gear. I've done some reading and people say that 30 euros per day is about average on the Camino. So let's say it takes me 30 or 35 days, that's going to be somewhere around $1300. I haven't even begun to look at travel to a starting point or from the end point yet, but it seems like everyday more and more little expenses start to creep in.

And of course this is a 4 to 6 week deal too. I don't know how much my employer will like me to be gone for a month and a half, even on unpaid leave. So I might leave and not have a job waiting for me when I get back. Plus there are the everyday expenses back home like rent and insurance I'll have to keep up with too.

I'm worried about telling everyone I'm going. I'm worried about what my family will say. I'm not married and I don't have kids, but I'm still worried about having to hear from my parents about how this is crazy and a waste of money and time. I think I'm even more afraid that they might decide to come with me!

Still, I'm going. I've made up my mind and I have to go. I'm giving myself a year. A year to get in shape and prepare my body. A year to save up and prepare my poor, poor bank account. A year to learn some spanish and french, and prepare my mind for a place where english isn't the first language.

My plan is to be in France about this time next year. So mark me down for the class of 2013.

Last edited:
Hope to finish the Via de la Plata/Camino Sanabrés July 2013 (or do the Norte) but will first be a hospitalera this summer in Grañon from July 1-15.

Camino Francés July 2010 SJPdP to Fisterra
Via de la Plata July 2011 Sevilla to Zamora

€60,-
Hi everyone
I am planning on walking in September-October 2013. Even now, it is hard to think about much else, every spare minute is spent reading and researching and just 'thinking' about the possibilities. At this point, I'm aiming to leave SJPP somewhere around mid-September and to take my time. As a 'just turned 60 Aussie' pilgrim, I will be walking alone and am looking forward to discovering what the Camino holds for me and to meeting others who are journeying at that time. Thank you to everyone for sharing their wisdom, what a treasure trove this site is!
cheers Jen

PS any advice keenly accepted :)

Jenyat53 said:
Hi everyone
I am planning on walking in September-October 2013. Even now, it is hard to think about much else, every spare minute is spent reading and researching and just 'thinking' about the possibilities. At this point, I'm aiming to leave SJPP somewhere around mid-September and to take my time. As a 'just turned 60 Aussie' pilgrim, I will be walking alone and am looking forward to discovering what the Camino holds for me and to meeting others who are journeying at that time. Thank you to everyone for sharing their wisdom, what a treasure trove this site is!
cheers Jen

PS any advice keenly accepted :)

Jenny,

Welcome to the Forum! There is a wealth of helpful information here for planning your Camino.

Feel free to ask lots of questions. Past pilgrims who are Forum members are always eager to share their experiences and advice.

Be sure to check the Over 60's thread compiled by some of us older pilgrims. See frequently-asked-questions/topic12014.html]

September and October are wonderful months to walk the Camino. However you must be prepared for varied weather. Nights in October can be chilly or cold and freezing rain or even snow might occur. Be prepared!

By mid October not all albergues will be open but the hospitaleros usually know who is on the next stage. Since the crowds of summer are past you will find the welcome at those albergues which are open to be most sincere.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Margaret

First hello to Vinsman, AnnieV, milepost99, LTfit, Jenyat53, Jeffnd, Welcome to the Class of 2013!
I know you all are as excited as I am. 2013 seems so long to wait. But if you are like me you are not waiting you are preparing!
@Jeffnd - I know what you mean about obsessing. :wink: The call to the Camino has transfixed nearly everything even my much anticipated trip to Ireland this fall. I know what you mean about being out of shape. I am as well but I have about 30 years on you. So if I can do it I know you can. Just take it slow and steady. I walked a whole 4 miles yesterday (with a nice lunch break in the middle) and lived. :eek: I will be doing just about 30-40 minutes today. Enough to work out the kinks in my muscles and let my body heal from yesterday's abuse. When I walked 30min a couple weeks ago I felt like I would die any second! :(
@Jen-I will be on the trail about the same time you are. Don't know yet if I will be walking alone or with some family members (I have 3 that are interested but will be surprised if any of them actually decide to come.) I will be just a bit over 63 at that time. I won't have time to do the whole Camino Frances this time so will be starting from around Leon. I too am soaking up every drop of information I can find. :!:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,

Just had my second knee replacement last month, planning to celebrate being able to cycle tour again (D.V.) by riding the Camino Frances Sept- Oct 2013. I'm hoping the crowds will have diminished and the weather will be reasonably pleasant.

The crowds will have diminished, so have a good time. Parts of the Camino are pretty rough, so test those knees on some serious mountain bike hills, or bypass the rough parts on the parallel roads. There is always an easier bicycle alternative to most of the walking trail.

Just touching base with everyone... Its terribly exciting to see so many people committing and so many on their way already.

My group of pilgrims are training in earnest, putting the hours in on the bikes, tweeking bikes and busy auditing, reviewing, trying and buying kit. Our latest purchase has been bivvy bags (5). They had to be XL as 3 of us are over 6'3" (possibly the tallest pilgrim group?). We are Madrid starting and hope to significantly reduce costs by living under the stars whenever possible. We are watchingthe weather to decide finally on sleeping bags.

Beun Camino Everyone... stay focussed.

€60,-
I am Verna from Simonton, TX. My dearest friend and I are planning a Camino trip in 2013 to celebrate our turning 60. Thinking about going in May. Is this a good time to go? Because we only have 2-2-1/2 weeks, we are struggling with which portion we should do. Thinking of going from Leon to Santiago de Compostela - 300 km. To do this in 14 days would require 13 miles of daily walking. I would think that there would be a time that we wanted to rest and am not quite sure this plan is a good one. Can someone advise us?

Count us in for the Class of 2013. Verna, Judy and possibly Victoria!!!

vdavis

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.