• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2015

Thanks For the advice Kanga. What's the name of the App you mention above? I will heed your advice and arrange to go to the meeting and set out with other pilgrims. Oh I am so happy for this advice. This forum is worth its weight (now how would I express this?????? Better) in Gold.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was part of the Class of 2014 , I walk the Camino del Norte to Ribadeo in June 2014 then crossed to Ferrol and completed the walk to Santiago via the Camino Ingles,
was talking with my walking partner about doing another Camino in 2017, then got a phone call from another fiend who asked if I would like to go for a walk in 2015 - Well who am I to turn down a walk so I suggested that we walk from Ribadeo to Santiago, for me it will complete my Camino del Norte walk and for her it will give her a taste of the what the Camino is about.
So I will become part of the Class of 2015 and looking forward to the journey once again

Buen Camino

I was part of the Class of 2014 , I walk the Camino del Norte to Ribadeo in June 2014 then crossed to Ferrol and completed the walk to Santiago via the Camino Ingles,
was talking with my walking partner about doing another Camino in 2017, then got a phone call from another fiend who asked if I would like to go for a walk in 2015 - Well who am I to turn down a walk so I suggested that we walk from Ribadeo to Santiago, for me it will complete my Camino del Norte walk and for her it will give her a taste of the what the Camino is about.
So I will become part of the Class of 2015 and looking forward to the journey once again

Buen Camino

Great plan!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello everyone, I am walking mid April 2015 starting in SJPP probably on 18/19th..Hope to walk for 3 weeks and return in September 2015 to complete to Finisterre.....I would be glad to make a few connections on here before then......This is my first Camino and I am in training.
Hi , I start start at the 18th of April in Sjpdp, I have six weeks to go to Santiago de Compostella
My wife did the Camino also in six weeks , I wish you a Buen Camino.

Hi , I start start at the 18th of April in Sjpdp, I have six weeks to go to Santiago de Compostella
My wife did the Camino also in six weeks , I wish you a Buen Camino.
Thank you Peter.......our paths might cross..will keep eye out for you at Biarritz.....I will have definite dates later.....will be in touch.......

@Cejanus it is called "Speak and Translate". Very handy. Speech to speech translation. You nominate the two languages (English and French). Two symbols appear, one for French, the other English. Press either symbol and speak into the phone in that language and it instantly translates it into the other language (in the correct accent!) It is an iPhone app but I'm sure there must be something similar for other phones.

As well as the pilgrim meeting in the evening, there is a special early morning pilgrim service in the Cathedral each morning, with a blessing for the bishop. It is rather nice to all set off together from the Cathedral after the service.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks Kanga. This info makes me feel more comfortable for starting out. I'll have a look at the App. Then I will look at a SIM card of some sort for my iPhone. The pilgrims service I had heard of so it will be a good starting point for me.
Kind regards and blessings.

Thanks Kanga. This info makes me feel more comfortable for starting out. I'll have a look at the App. Then I will look at a SIM card of some sort for my iPhone. The pilgrims service I had heard of so it will be a good starting point for me.
Kind regards and blessings.
For Android there is an app called "Talking Multi-Language" which translates text to text or voice to voice for many, many languages.

@Cejanus I've usually bought local prepaid French SIM cards but they are a pain to set up if you don't speak French. Last time before I went I purchased over the internet a prepaid "LeFrenchMobile" and it worked well. It is made for visitors to France and the setup and service is entirely in English. The rates are supposedly competitive although I did not do a comparison myself. It was certainly cheaper than my Telstra plan! Here is the website

http://www.lefrenchmobile.com

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome Marqued!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2015?
Buen Camino
Arn

My wife and I are flying into Lisbon, Portugal on Feb 1, 2015 and will hike Porto to Santiago starting on the 4th or 5th after enjoying what Porto has to offer and stabilizing our internal clocks. We have both now been retired for 1.5 years but the Camino has been on our mind for many years, we've been members of our local Camino association for 3 years and it was only a matter of time before the right travel opportunity presented itself. Many of you will wonder why February as it is not usually great weather out on the Portuguese Camino? Well, it's the dead of winter here in Ottawa, Canada, we are usually snow shoeing and ice skating in Feb and the daytime temperatures are -10 to -20C. This will be a two part trip for us, we will wet our feet for 2 weeks on our first Camino then enjoy traveling to southern Spain for some R & R before returning home. We hope that this Camino will only be the first of many to come.

Cheers from Canada and we trust that there will be a few other lunatic pilgrims out there with us!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello, I'm from the US (California)

I am intending to walk my first camino in 2015. I am intending to walk the camino in either April/May or May/June with the intention of starting at SJPP.
I am also intending to walk the CAMINO from some part of April to May. Might see you at some stage

Hi my name is Marlene and I currently live in Central California. I am planning on walking the Camino Francis (starting in SJPDP) in either April/May 2015 or September/October 2015. My motiviation started with the movie "The Way" and then it became the thinking of undertaking my own spiritual/personal pilgrimage to show my Irritant Asthma that NOTHING can stop me from following my dreams. :) I am looking forward to learning and sharing all things Camino and maybe even crossing Camino paths!

Marlene
I currently live in NZ and planning on similar dates..possibly mid to late April starting from SJPDP and going right through.

Maybe our paths will meet. Good luck Kieran

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Buen Camino
Arn

Hello Everyone,
My husband and I walked on the Camino Frances in May/June last year. It was a wonderful experience. We started in StJean Pied de Port and walked to Logrongo. Unfortunately I suffered badly from tendonitis and we had to take a bus from Logrongo to Burgos to Leon and to Sarria But I managed to hobble the last 100kms To Santiago behind my patient husband.
We hope to do part of the Camino Portuguese and to Finisterre starting in August / Septemb 2015 .We are both in our 70's so it's a case of now or never.
Buen Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I are flying into Lisbon, Portugal on Feb 1, 2015 and will hike Porto to Santiago starting on the 4th or 5th after enjoying what Porto has to offer and stabilizing our internal clocks. We have both now been retired for 1.5 years but the Camino has been on our mind for many years, we've been members of our local Camino association for 3 years and it was only a matter of time before the right travel opportunity presented itself. Many of you will wonder why February as it is not usually great weather out on the Portuguese Camino? Well, it's the dead of winter here in Ottawa, Canada, we are usually snow shoeing and ice skating in Feb and the daytime temperatures are -10 to -20C. This will be a two part trip for us, we will wet our feet for 2 weeks on our first Camino then enjoy traveling to southern Spain for some R & R before returning home. We hope that this Camino will only be the first of many to come.

Cheers from Canada and we trust that there will be a few other lunatic pilgrims out there with us!

My first Camino was from Porto to Santiago about 9 months after I retired. Changed my life. Good luck, you're going to love it.

Hi All - My husband and I get into SJPP on 8th April and start walking on 9th. We are stopping the first night in Valcarlos and are planning to reach Santiago on 17th May before heading on to Finisterre. Look forward to seeing some of you out there and hope you say hi.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi All - My husband and I get into SJPP on 8th April and start walking on 9th. We are stopping the first night in Valcarlos and are planning to reach Santiago on 17th May before heading on to Finisterre. Look forward to seeing some of you out there and hope you say hi.
Buen Camino - you will love it !

Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked SJPP to Santiago in 2013. I'll walk the Portuguese coastal route from Matosinhos to Santiago summer 2015, God willing.

Buen Camino
Arn
Hello pilgrims! I am in early planning stages...after many years of contemplation. I will start in St. Jean early September 2015 and take as long as it takes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome Emily!

I'm not too far from you in SLC (compared to many on this forum) and plan to start walking from SJPdP September 7th. See you on The Way!

Hello everyone, I am walking mid April 2015 starting in SJPP probably on 18/19th..Hope to walk for 3 weeks and return in September 2015 to complete to Finisterre.....I would be glad to make a few connections on here before then......This is my first Camino and I am in training.
Hello, I will be walking just before you as starting 28th Feb 2015 for 30 days :)

Buen Camino

I walked the Camino Frances from SJPdP to SdC in the fall of 2000.
In summer 2001, I walked from Irun to Santander on the Norte, then Sahagun to Finisterre on the Frances.
Both of these were solo.

I'm planning, perhaps, to walk the Via de la Plata from Sevilla to Finisterre/Muxia in May-July of 2015 with my partner, Carlos. It would be Carlos' first Camino.

We'll see. I have been over the top excited by the idea of returning to the Camino, and sharing the experience with Carlos' first time. So excited, even 18 months in advance, that I jumped head first into planning, and this forum - resources I didn't have the first time around when I had so much to learn, often painfully, from my many mistakes. This in itself may have been a mistake as well.

After the thread this weekend, I'm not sure that I feel all that welcome anymore as a secular/universalist pilgrim.
More contemplation required - perhaps being a member of the Kilimanjaro Class of 2015 would be a better fit. A pilgrimage to the roof of Africa!
After all, in the end, wherever you go, there you are.

Ultreia,
Adrienne
Adrienne,
I've done many "notable" long walks: Appalichian Trail, John O'Groats to Land's End, etc and I have no desire to do them again. Each has it's own draw, but none like the Camino.
Getting a t-shirt for the "been there - done that" crowd pales in comparison to the Camino. Each endeavor is unique, yet the same.
I have no desire to rewalk any Way but the Camino.
Then again, that's me.
Buen "what moves you" Camino
Arn

Flight booked from Dublin to Biarritz for April 23rd 2015, this will be my 4th time on Camino and 2nd time from St Jean, spent 24 days in 2013 going from St Jean to Finisterre but this time I think I'll punish myself a little less for my sinful life and aim for about 28 days to Santiago.
In case you're wondering, in the avatar I'm the middle aged Irishman on the left, not the attractive university student from Slovenia on the right. ;)

Buen camino

Seamus

Just discovered my daughter is pregnant with her second child :). Exciting and happy news but I will need to change my camino dates. Now planning to leave SJPP in mid Feb 2015. Anyone know if there is an albergue open in SJPP that early in the season?

Last edited:
I will be making my first trip on the Camino in July, 2015. I'll start in Pamplona and just see how far I get in 7 days. REALLY looking forward to the adventure. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Anyone know if there is an albergue open in SJPP that early in the season?
The municipal is always open. Check in through the Pilgrim Office.

Albergue municipal de Saint Jean Pied de Port
Localidad: Saint Jean Pied de Port
Dirección: Rue de la Citadelle, 55
Exclusivo para peregrinos: Sí
Admite reserva: No
Expide la credencial: Sí, 2 euros
Número de plazas: 32, en literas
Año de apertura: -
Titularidad: Municipal
Gestión: Asociación de Amigos de la Vieille Navarra
Encargado: Hospitaleros voluntarios
Disponibilidad (meses inclusives): Todo el año
Hora de apertura: Por la mañana
Hora de cierre: 22:00
Precio: 8 euros (incluye desayuno)
Acondicionamiento: Adecuado

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The municipal is always open. Check in through the Pilgrim Office.

Albergue municipal de Saint Jean Pied de Port
Localidad: Saint Jean Pied de Port
Dirección: Rue de la Citadelle, 55
Exclusivo para peregrinos: Sí
Admite reserva: No
Expide la credencial: Sí, 2 euros
Número de plazas: 32, en literas
Año de apertura: -
Titularidad: Municipal
Gestión: Asociación de Amigos de la Vieille Navarra
Encargado: Hospitaleros voluntarios
Disponibilidad (meses inclusives): Todo el año
Hora de apertura: Por la mañana
Hora de cierre: 22:00
Precio: 8 euros (incluye desayuno)
Acondicionamiento: Adecuado
Thanks Falcon :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola Pilgrims,
Signing up for 2015.:D
Tentative plan taking shape now and looks like this;
1. Bristol to Dublin
2. Dublin to Biarritz
3. Biarritz to StJPDP
4. StJPDP to Burgos (Frances)
5. Burgos to Oviedo (bus)
6. Oviedo to SDC (Primitivo).
7. Go home.

Just need to pull it all together now.:eek:

Buen Camino

Class of 2014 didn't happen to me due to life issues. Looking more like Class of 2015 is the new reality. Looking forward to getting on the trail. Been on my Camino for many years, but in 2015 the next chapter will be lived in Spain. Looking forward to Mi Camino... Been Camino!

Welcome Papa T!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have narrowed down my camino dates from sometime in 2015 to mid April through early June. I'm thinking that 7 weeks should be enough for the CF and then on to Finisterre. Now I just need to find a good price on an airline ticket from Arizona to Madrid and get it booked.

I have been walking 28-32 km/week trying out different shoes and feel like I have two good pair that I will be taking with me. One is a low Keen hiking shoe and the other is my trusty pair of Teva's. Along with trying out different shoes I've been trying different socks. I'm really liking thin Cool Max liner socks and the Injinji toe socks. I have also purchased some wool medium weight socks that I haven't tried yet but will here soon.

The only thing I still need to acquire is some rain gear. So I'll be reading the equipment forum for rain gear tips and recommendations.

I really enjoy reading everyones posts about all topics camino related. I appreciate that this website is here and that everyone is sharing information. It has been so helpful to me and I'm sure all of the other Camino newbee's. Thanks Everyone! :D

I bet April can't get here soon enough!

The airfare has been purchased, so I must be going. Leaving San Diego on April 5th (Easter Sunday) and flying to Madrid. After an overnight in Madrid I will take the train to Pamplona and then make my way to SJPdP. After much planning I am eager to go. I don't remember when I first heard of the Camino, but I knew that I had to go. The movie The Way just cemented my desire to make the journey. I plan on walking the Valcarlos Route (lower route) as it's description appealed to me I have allowed 39 days to reach Santiago so I won't feel rushed.

Most of my equipment has been purchased and I've started training, walking several days a week with my pack, which I will increase in frequency and distance as my start date gets closer. I think about walking my camino daily, can hardly wait to get started.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
the Injinji toe socks
You may want to do some extensive walking with them. I found that there was a lot of friction between my toes when I first wore them. There is eight layers of fabric between my toes, and it changed my foot width enough to be irritating. I got used to them eventually as my skin toughened a bit, but the Camino is the wrong place to discover that toe socks give blisters between toes! Find it out at home before your leave; I found lubricant eased the friction.

Buen camino.

You may want to do some extensive walking with them. I found that there was a lot of friction between my toes when I first wore them. There is eight layers of fabric between my toes, and it changed my foot width enough to be irritating. I got used to them eventually as my skin toughened a bit, but the Camino is the wrong place to discover that toe socks give blisters between toes! Find it out at home before your leave; I found lubricant eased the friction.

I have been walking quite a bit in the Injinji socks and haven't had any issues. I'm wearing Keen shoes which are wide in the toes. I'm more concerned that they will wear out before I finish the camino. Anyway I'll bring two pair Injinji liners, two pair thin cool max liners and two pair wool outer socks. Then I can switch it up as needed or switch to the Teva sandals.
I've got a question about the lubricant. How much do you put on, a thin layer or a lot? Do you put it just between your toes or all over? Does it make it difficult to get your socks clean? Do you use Vaseline, Vicks, or some special lubricant from a hiking store?

Hola Everyone!

My sister and are also planning on walking the CF in Mid May 2015! We are doing this pilgrimage for religious/spiritual reasons.
We will start in SJPDP, we have 7-8 weeks to complete El Camino and visit Lourdes France and Garabandal Spain. We are very anxious, excited, and nervous to start!
Hoping to meet amazing people...

Many blessings to all :)

Buen Camino!

I've got a question about the lubricant. How much do you put on, a thin layer or a lot? Do you put it just between your toes or all over? Does it make it difficult to get your socks clean? Do you use Vaseline, Vicks, or some special lubricant from a hiking store?
I use Sportslick: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007OC0A2/?tag=casaivar02-20

I put it between my toes, on top and bottom of my toes, along the side of my foot, and on my heel. The 3.8 oz. tube lasts for a camino, so I would say I use a medium amount per application. It is mostly in my liner socks at the end of the day, and they become fairly saturated even with washing. Washing is more for salt build up than lubricant removal for me. Salt causes friction; Sportslick does not!

€149,-
Have booked flights for my granddaughter Beth and myself to Bilbao on June 4th. We plan walking from Pamplona to Burgos.
So now we are part of class of 2015. We are both very excited and looking forward to this adventure together.
Buen Camino to all who are walking at present or planing to walk during the coming year.

Hi fellow peregrinos, I am Ernesto (Ernie) to my frind in Devon UK, after my first camino frances 2012 from SJPD - Fisterre - Muxia and after the story of peregrino I have met telling me how many time they done it, I had no intention to repeat my first experience; BUT the call was to great and I had to be back, so 2013 same again, the only difference the first stage becouse of a snow storm on the Pyrenees wich caused two deth and a third person had the feets amputate all peregrino were advise by the autority not to. go the Napoleon way and this happened the begenning of May. This year I have started in Seville walked Via de la Plata and like usual Fisterre - Muxia. Next year 2015 I will start middel of April from Geneva - Saint Peray - Le Puy -en-Velay - SJPD - Hendaye - camino North - Irun - Santiago - Fisterre - Muxia.
Can't wait !!!!!!!!

My only advise “ take it seriously, be prepared and enjoy and BUEN CAMINO !!”

( hope my English spelling is good enogh )

Welcome Ernie! That sounds like a great plan and your English is easy to understand.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Have booked flights for my granddaughter Beth and myself to Bilbao on June 4th. We plan walking from Pamplona to Burgos.
So now we are part of class of 2015. We are both very excited and looking forward to this adventure together.
Buen Camino to all who are walking at present or planing to walk during the coming year.
Hi Lydia,
My 3 sisters and myself will be walking some of the same section as you but 2 weeks earlier.
Buen Camino,
Audrey

€149,-
Hello all,
I'm not sure how to post this without seeming to be overly smug and self-satisfied;), however,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I am returning to the Camino:rolleyes:
I expect to leave StJPDP on the 15th May and walk the Camino Frances to Burgos. From Burgos take a bus to Oviedo and walk the Camino Primitivo.
Please forgive me if you should trip over my :p happiness or fall into the chasm of my smile:D.
Can you feel my joy:)?
Buen Camino

Buen Camino
Arn

I will be walking the Camino Frances starting in April 2015 (probably starting the 8th or 9th in St. Jean). My goal is to arrive in Santiago by May 18th. Maybe I'll see you on the Camino.

Len (from Manitoba Canada)

Count me in. Have my ticket, ready to walk, as long as I don't do anything to my body during the upcoming ski season. Plan on departing Roncesvalles 1 May. Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, I am Joe, from southern California. I am new to this forum and planning to walk the El Camino, mostly alone, starting at SJPdP around mid-April of 2015.
Will probably fly into CDG and take the train to SJPdP. Anyone going that time of year who would like to team up for the early part of the trip?
My youngest son is planning on walking part of the Camino with me before he has to go back to work. In reading the posts it looks like I am way back on the power curve as far as planning is concerned. About the only thing I have going for me is a limited knowledge of Spanish and being in fairly good physical condition. Am I too late in booking rooms in the bigger cities?
I will be leaving Roncesvalles on 1 May, a few days behind you. Buen Camino. Buz Radican, TAMU Class of '66.

Hello Shirley, I plan on leaving from SJDP the first of May. I have been looking for a way to get there and it appears that there are a number of people going to Paris and going from there to SJDP. I am interested in connecting with other pilgrims to travel with. I am somewhat flexible in start dates at this point in planning , I have one of my children that wants to meet up in southern Spain in June for a holiday . I have been thinking about the el camino for several years and was going to do it when I retired. I retired at the end of last May. I am active in that I cycle and swim regularly but haven't been walking. I am going to start soon to break in my shoes and condition myself for the trip. I am spending a lot of time now trying to decide on the gear I will need and I am really in need of all the help I can get. Good thing I have time on my side. I have a brother who is in the Hood River valley area, he and his wife run the Rasmussen farms over there. I haven't been to Oregon since I thumbed around the US and Canada in the early 70's.
buen camino
I am starting from Roncesvalles on the 1st of May. I turned 70 last month, and while I am a long distance hiker, I am a slow long distance hiker. I am sure you will pass me within a couple of days. Looking forward to saying hola as you pass me. Bueno Camino.

I'm happy to be able to add my name on here again. I, along with a sister and brother (first timers), will be leaving SJPD around May 1st, 2015. Cant believe it's only nine short months away!
Leaving Roncesvalles on 1 May. I am sure you will pass me along the way. Looking forward to meeting you. Bueno Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm setting off on May 1st as well. Hope my legs will take me all the way to Finnistere! Breaking on my shoes as we speak :)
Leaving from Roncesvalles on 1 May. Say hola as you pass me. I am more turtle than hare. Bueno Camino.

Buen Camino
Arn
Hello!

My name is Ariel and I plan to walk the Camino del Norte in April of 2015. See you on the trail! Any other solo walkers heading out around the same time?

Buen Camino!
Ariel

Thanks, Ariel. Hope to meet you on the Way. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
a
I have narrowed down my camino dates from sometime in 2015 to mid April through early June. I'm thinking that 7 weeks should be enough for the CF and then on to Finisterre. Now I just need to find a good price on an airline ticket from Arizona to Madrid and get it booked.

I have been walking 28-32 km/week trying out different shoes and feel like I have two good pair that I will be taking with me. One is a low Keen hiking shoe and the other is my trusty pair of Teva's. Along with trying out different shoes I've been trying different socks. I'm really liking thin Cool Max liner socks and the Injinji toe socks. I have also purchased some wool medium weight socks that I haven't tried yet but will here soon.

The only thing I still need to acquire is some rain gear. So I'll be reading the equipment forum for rain gear tips and recommendations.

I really enjoy reading everyones posts about all topics camino related. I appreciate that this website is here and that everyone is sharing information. It has been so helpful to me and I'm sure all of the other Camino newbee's. Thanks Everyone! :D
I bought a good rain jacket and pants, but wondered about the needing a poncho. It was next to impossible to get a Altos Poncho in Canada. I investigated "ThePacka", which I heard about on this forum. ThePacka is a combination of a jacket and poncho (bsically a long rain jacket with zippered vents under the arms and a pack cover built in. It was designed and made in the USA. www.thepacka.com.

I was so intrigued that I bought one and I'm quite pleased with it. I am definately taking it along for the trek!! Don't forget to pack ThePacka!!

I bought a good rain jacket and pants, but wondered about the needing a poncho. It was next to impossible to get a Altos Poncho in Canada. I investigated "ThePacka", which I heard about on this forum. ThePacka is a combination of a jacket and poncho (bsically a long rain jacket with zippered vents under the arms and a pack cover built in. It was designed and made in the USA. www.thepacka.com.

I was so intrigued that I bought one and I'm quite pleased with it. I am definately taking it along for the trek!! Don't forget to pack ThePacka!!

I'm considering the Altus, the Packa, the Ferrino and the Sea to Summit Sil-Nylon rainwear. It seems like they all have their pros and cons. I'd like to have what I'm taking with me when I arrive in Spain. So the Altus may be out for that reason. Also since it is impossible to actually see all of these in person at the same time for a comparison you really have to trust the comments and posts you read here. The only poncho available at my local REI is a rather heavy one that I'm not even considering. o_O

I'm considering the Altus, the Packa, the Ferrino and the Sea to Summit Sil-Nylon rainwear. It seems like they all have their pros and cons. I'd like to have what I'm taking with me when I arrive in Spain. So the Altus may be out for that reason. Also since it is impossible to actually see all of these in person at the same time for a comparison you really have to trust the comments and posts you read here. The only poncho available at my local REI is a rather heavy one that I'm not even considering. o_O

The nice feature of ThePacka is that if the rain stops, you can simply take your arms out of the sleeves and tuck the sleeves underneath the pack cover portion. This alows you to "vent" while the rain has stopped, and if the rain should start again, you can quickly put the jacket part back on again without having to stop walking. It sounds like this could be a handy feature!! ThePacka also folds up into its own pocket for storage.

Hello,

I am satisfying my nomed ways and planning to walk in May/June 2015. I hope to complete the St. Jean to Santiago Camino Frances route and find great people along the way.

The forum has been helpful so far, so I hope to make further connections in the coming months before my pilgrimage.

Best wishes everyone!
Greetings from a displaced / misplaced Texan. Left after college, life took me elsewhere. Will be leaving Roncesvalles 1 May. Hopefully we will meet along the way.

Hi, I'm from Oregon and would love to follow the 4min pilgrim. My kickoff date is May/June 2015. I hope your able to put it on the internet so it can be enjoyed by others
Buen Camino
Hola, will be leaving Roncesvalles on 1 May. Hope to see you along the way.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello, I am walking the Camino Frances in April 2015. I will depart from St Jean and hope to climb via the Napolean route right through to Finisterre. This is the plan anyway. I have no idea what I am doing, and so will be totally out of my comfort zone. Never walked, hiked, trekked, or stayed in group accommodations before, so am getting right out of my comfort zone. Any good advice for a new walker is welcome. Buen Camino.

Never walked, hiked, trekked, or stayed in group accommodations before, so am getting right out of my comfort zone.
Don't underestimate the difficulty of the task! :)

Read the FAQ's first, then browse specific topics. Train. Prepare and plan. Keep your pack weight low. There is plenty of information in the Forum on these topics, so read away.

Buen camino!

Hello, I am walking the Camino Frances in April 2015. I will depart from St Jean and hope to climb via the Napolean route right through to Finisterre. This is the plan anyway. I have no idea what I am doing, and so will be totally out of my comfort zone. Never walked, hiked, trekked, or stayed in group accommodations before, so am getting right out of my comfort zone. Any good advice for a new walker is welcome. Buen Camino.
Greetings from an old guy. If you live in the US you might want to check out American Pilgrims On The Camino (americanpilgrims.com). Besides on line info, they have organized groups around the U.S. for former and future pilgrims. Meet, greet, and learn first hand. From my long distant hiking I have learned that success primarily depends on two equal measures of preparation and attitude. I will be leaving Roncesvalles on 1 May. Hopefully we will meet along the way. Buen Camino.

Greetings from an old guy. If you live in the US you might want to check out American Pilgrims On The Camino (americanpilgrims.com). Besides on line info, they have organized groups around the U.S. for former and future pilgrims. Meet, greet, and learn first hand. From my long distant hiking I have learned that success primarily depends on two equal measures of preparation and attitude. I will be leaving Roncesvalles on 1 May. Hopefully we will meet along the way. Buen Camino.

Thank you Buz. I am not from the US, but I hope to meet you anyway. I plan to take a measured pace to soak it all in. I intend to start mid-April but my timing is very flexible, so may very well meet you, as I hope to take rest days (more than 1!) in the big cities to sightsee.

Hi and welcome .......I also plan on April start probably about 18th.......I have more or less same plan as yourself, as of now have the boots and backpack sorted, some gear, but i think I will be on a wing and a prayer.........Buen Camino maybe we will meet along the Way. Get the feet sorted tho, very important.......

Hi. My name is Dennis. I am planning to attempt the Camino in 2015, from about the middle of May until the end of June. I am currently following the information in the forums as well as reading other Camino related books. I may find myself above and beyond my ability level, but I am going to give it a shot.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Greetings from a displaced / misplaced Texan. Left after college, life took me elsewhere. Will be leaving Roncesvalles 1 May. Hopefully we will meet along the way.

Hi Buz,

I think I should be leaving SJPP about the 4/31 or 5/1 - so could cross paths. Thanks for saying hello. :)

I may find myself above and beyond my ability level
Just as you work your way to fitness gradually in the gym, do the same on the Camino. If you have trained well, you may be able to do "journeyman" days after a week. Otherwise, plan the first week as a training exercise, and build up. Remember that you will be doing a half marathon daily with a backpack. It is not easy. Ten to fifteen kilometers in a day may be your initial limit, so don't try to keep up with more fit walkers! Overdoing it the first week has some very negative payback for the rest of the month.:) Buen camino.

Very curious as to people's reasons for doing the Camino. I read so many posts about how people are so excited. I don't feel that way (yet), I must admit. The desire to do the Camino comes out of a desire to get over a not-so-positive experience - to have a very simple way of literally putting one foot in front of the other. Right now, it is the only thing that keeps me out of my head, as otherwise I would get very depressed.

Very curious as to people's reasons for doing the Camino. I read so many posts about how people are so excited. I don't feel that way (yet), I must admit. The desire to do the Camino comes out of a desire to get over a not-so-positive experience - to have a very simple way of literally putting one foot in front of the other. Right now, it is the only thing that keeps me out of my head, as otherwise I would get very depressed.
I don't know the reasons for others doing the Camino, but for me I have come to realize that life is a journey. I didn't know this for a long time because everything was about me and how everything in my life affected me. Through choices that I made life wasn't what I thought I needed. I have come to realize that if I want a better life I have to be "out" of me and actively look at what life has to offer. There are so many wonderful , everyday things for me to see and experience if my eyes are open. The Camino seemed right for me now. I want to physically complete it , meet people on the journey and see what gifts life has for me on this adventure. No expectations, what ever the outcome it will be what is supposed to happen. I hope your journey is a good one. Buen Camino ! Stephen

My reason? I grew up as a Roman Catholic and when I watched a documentary about the Camino
it completely hit me the idea to go to pay my respect, where the remains of St James one of the 12 apostle lie, so that is what I have done in the last three Caminos, it was like I had blinkers on, my aim was to arrive to Santiago de Compostela and Fisterre / Muxia.
The reason to go every time to Muxia is that it is part of it, as it's supposed to be where the Madonna (not the singer) appeared to the very frustrated James, the way to convert the Spanish people to the Catholics faith. In fact it is where you find the Sanctuary of the Madonna de la Barca, which unfortunately was hit by lightening on the the night of 25th December last year at about midnight and consequently the inside was completely burnt.
Believe it or not but the time I got lost (many times) I call on James and something always comes up, this year walking at some stage with a French peregrino (we where talking) and after about 45 minutes we realise we where lost going up a hill with nobody around, with the amazement of Jean I said “come on James give us a hand” and immediately we saw a car of the Guardia Civile coming down the hill and a local man coming up and both stopped to help us. Buen Camino !!!!

Last edited:
Hi. My name is Dennis. I am planning to attempt the Camino in 2015, from about the middle of May until the end of June. I am currently following the information in the forums as well as reading other Camino related books. I may find myself above and beyond my ability level, but I am going to give it a shot.

Welcome Dennis!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My son and I will be starting on June 13th from Madrid to Coca on the Madrid route then over to Medina del Campo on the Levante route to Zamora then the Sanabres Route to Santiago.

I am sure it will be a great experience with your son. Buen Camino.

I will be walking SJPP to Santiago in March/April 2015. :) I hail from Arizona, USA, and will be traveling on my own. Very anxious/excited!
HI Marqued, I'm debating between doing the first 100km on Frances or the Camino Ingles late March '15. - but planning on starting same time as you. Solo female from NY Will complete (or start, CF in mid Sept /'15.) Hope to see you Elayne

Hi all,
Flights booked and in the countdown. We will be doing the Francés starting from SJPP between the 10-13 Feb and have until mid April. We will be the ambitious group with five children from 2-15 years. Can't wait now. Biggest immediate challenge is balancing weight now, with one baby carrier and one large pack as we have to carry extra equipment for the cold between myself and my wife. I have to assume we'll spend a bit of time carrying my little one, who is about 16kg. Can't split that weight up! We can go slow, but will be limited in stops I expect. We're open to the experience guiding us in unpredictable ways. Very exciting times ahead!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all,
Flights booked and in the countdown. We will be doing the Francés starting from SJPP between the 10-13 Feb and have until mid April. We will be the ambitious group with five children from 2-15 years. Can't wait now. Biggest immediate challenge is balancing weight now, with one baby carrier and one large pack as we have to carry extra equipment for the cold between myself and my wife. I have to assume we'll spend a bit of time carrying my little one, who is about 16kg. Can't split that weight up! We can go slow, but will be limited in stops I expect. We're open to the experience guiding us in unpredictable ways. Very exciting times ahead!

Amazing!

Hi all,

Good luck Paul to you and all your family, I don't want to damp your enthusiasm but I certainly wouldn't have chosen that time of the year, walking trough snow, cold rain and mud. In the end there is only so much that James can do !!
Buen camino
Ernie

Wow Paul! You and your wife are so brave. Can't wait to hear from you along the Way. Hope you will let us know how things are going...
Buen Camino
Heather

Thanks for the encouragement (and down to earth sharing Ernie!). I've found in life so far that everything has positives and negatives, and I'm slowly getting better at choosing to focus on the positives. Walking in the cold, rain, mud and snow provide wonderful opportunities for us. We won't compete for rooms, which will give us more freedom to choose a pace (acknowledging that the accommodation open will be more limited initially), if the kids have an off day (as will happen, they are kids) then it will be a more private off day (and the same for us as parents too!)' we are less likely to suffer from heatstroke, we can indulge in a more intimate family experience and so forth.

I don't underestimate the challenges, but have slowly become comfortable with the idea that the camino will be flexible. If we can't walk one day for whatever reason, then we can rest, or get a taxi, or bus, maybe play a game with the kids, or some other whimsical activity. If we can't finish the Camino this time, then it gives us an excuse to continue in a couple of years with the family again and complete it. It might be in a couple of years, or much later, but we will finish as a family eventually. Obviously I hope it will be in April next year, but if it isn't to be, it isn't the right time.

My thinking of success and failure has changed (i.e. completing is success and not completing is failure), each step is success, culminating in eventually arriving in Santiago. It isn't my place to choose the time I arrive, but I will certainly be thankful when I do.

Thanks for the encouragement (and down to earth sharing Ernie!). I've found in life so far that everything has positives and negatives, and I'm slowly getting better at choosing to focus on the positives. Walking in the cold, rain, mud and snow provide wonderful opportunities for us. We won't compete for rooms, which will give us more freedom to choose a pace (acknowledging that the accommodation open will be more limited initially), if the kids have an off day (as will happen, they are kids) then it will be a more private off day (and the same for us as parents too!)' we are less likely to suffer from heatstroke, we can indulge in a more intimate family experience and so forth.

I don't underestimate the challenges, but have slowly become comfortable with the idea that the camino will be flexible. If we can't walk one day for whatever reason, then we can rest, or get a taxi, or bus, maybe play a game with the kids, or some other whimsical activity. If we can't finish the Camino this time, then it gives us an excuse to continue in a couple of years with the family again and complete it. It might be in a couple of years, or much later, but we will finish as a family eventually. Obviously I hope it will be in April next year, but if it isn't to be, it isn't the right time.

My thinking of success and failure has changed (i.e. completing is success and not completing is failure), each step is success, culminating in eventually arriving in Santiago. It isn't my place to choose the time I arrive, but I will certainly be thankful when I do.

Hi Paul, it wasn't my intention to scared you off the wonderful adventure you going to undertake with your family. To reed in be-twin the line the positive determination is fantastic. (Although is not my business) I just felt right not to point out few fact, like the time of the year and the young children involved.
In my two precedent FC camino from SJPD I saw few bad things happening that's all, but of course you mention bus and taxi, I didn't think of that.
The good thing I can tell you is that the 2012 FC at SJPD on the 20th of May I met a French family coming back from Fisterre and the component of the family was : father, mother, three small children and three donkey, apparently the year before they sold all they possession and (from France)they travel to Fisterre lived in the town for 6 month and they where on the way back to start all over again.
I my self I challenge life in a positive way and next year for me is going to be a very hard one, as I write my next pilgrimage starts in Geneva around 1400 miles 2 and half months (if I get there).So
To you and your family
BUEN CAMINO !!!!!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.