• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clever way to hide cash

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can always hide your cash in the ATM machine. Even though ATMs might not be on every corner, I'm sure you can find one every few days for the small purchases at the coffee shops and albergues. I'm sure bigger stores and hotels accept cards if you feel the need to spend big bucks. I, personally, will probably carry €200 or so at the maximum on hand.

Whatever your budget and whichever card(s) you carry always have a stash of emergency cash hidden in an empty aspirin bottle or tea bag wrappers for example. It need not be much say 4 × 20 and 4 × 5 euro notes. This stash might be very useful when an intense storm knocks all power out and no ATM works or during a long holiday weekend when the machines are 'milked dry'. Furthermore keep some euro bills in small denominations; breaking a 50 euro bill in a remote village can be impossible! However, gas stations will often make change even if you don't buy gas!

As always it helps to be prepared!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I carry a flat hand brush that rides in a hip pocket. Then again, I do not have luxuriant tresses. I consider myself blessed just to have hair...

This said, I think this brush, while clever, is over-engineered. Too large and too heavy, a thief will just steal the entire brush. Plus, how many hair brushes have you accidently left behind during your life? So you are not accomplishing anything...at least IMHO.

Now, if you wanted to store sewing items or first aid supplies in that tube, it might make more sense. But as a hidden money container...nah!

Hope this helps.

I am going have to get used to carrying cash with me. At home in the UK I very rarely use cash, relying on my phone to pay for every thing using an app or contactless, at other times I use my actual bank card. Even homeless big issue sellers and buskers accept contactless payments here in the UK. Is cash still king on the CF?

I am going have to get used to carrying cash with me. At home in the UK I very rarely use cash, relying on my phone to pay for every thing using an app or contactless, at other times I use my actual bank card. Even homeless big issue sellers and buskers accept contactless payments here in the UK. Is cash still king on the CF?

Yes Sir!! Cash is still the King of the Camino!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But I think @mspath's suggestion of always keeping some 'emergency' cash on hand is very good advice. I got caught short of cash at one point. I recall, for one reason or the other, it was several days before I was able to replenish my supplies, and every one of those days I had to borrow a bit more from my cousin with whom I was walking; it was a bit uncomfortable having to rely on someone else. I've often wondered how I would have mananged had I been walking on my own.

I was semi-serious about the brush. I do have long, thick hair, so I need more than a comb. The brush that I usually bring is much smaller and lighter though.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all I am from New Zealand. The brush thing is a great idea.
Let me tell you of my first trip when I used" cash card" NEVER AGAIN. because of the methods they use through the ATM It was very easy to have them convert the money from NZ dollars to euros TWICE. Then when my wife (at home) challenged them on this for me she was threatened with cancelling my card. These people are an absolute disaster.
Second trip I took two thousand in euros in a money belt it never left my side even take it into the showers hang it on the wall and at night it went into the bottom of my sleeping bag just before I when in on top of it.. It worked a treat. You just have to get the mind set in place .You dont lose it. But I found this less stressful than cards I am going back in April with my Daughter I am going to use the same system.

I change nothing of my habits while on the Camino or any travel for that matter. My money and credit cards are in my tiny credit card sized wallet in my pocket. But the hairbrush ideas pretty clever and funny.

Although I wouldn't carry a brush (follically challenged) it is a neat idea. I normally hit the ATM's for a 200 euro replenishment and it worked fine on CF. I expect larger chunks could be needed for more remote routes. Although I never had cash problems, others did and it was frustrating for both them and me. I hated to say no to a peregrino in trouble as they were my 'trail family". Only ended up loosing one 20 euro note to a non-reconnect.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
"You can always hide your cash in the ATM machine"
For those of us not in the EU, there can be some interesting fees for every withdrawal from an ATM.
I paced myself for a withdrawal every 7-10 days based on expected meal and sleeping costs, so the total amount would not be too high (2,000e to me is too scary)

But not having cash is (IMO) not being fully prepared for that emergency item replacement, the need to take a bus or taxi in cases of illness or injury, the buying of dinner for all your table mates etc

It would be carried in your pack. Anywhere else would be suspect. If the pack gets nicked, it is gone as well. The thief may never find it, so its service would likely be fulfilled but it is still gone.

There are many places on your person and in your pack already as well. I went to the extent of carrying a second, older wallet on me, easily accessible with only a few euro in it. Happy to throw that in a thief's face. If they want to dig further, the kung fu monk may come out. This does not necessarily mean violence. Those monks are still best known for their wisdom first, violence last.

Are Euros paper or plastic notes like we have in Australia? It isn't such a drama here if you forget you've tucked an emergency $20 or $50 in your pocket then washed your shorts/trousers with it in...in fact I once was very excited to see a $20 note stuck to the inside surface of the glass washing machine door as the clothes went round and round inside. I will have to learn to be more careful if they are paper though!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Keeping my silk money belt which I either wear all the time or take it with me into the shower.
Always get more cash when it gets down to 100€. With a guide book, it tells me when there may be a lack of ATM's in the next few days and then I could get more or replenish sooner.

Hi all I am from New Zealand. The brush thing is a great idea.
Let me tell you of my first trip when I used" cash card" NEVER AGAIN. because of the methods they use through the ATM It was very easy to have them convert the money from NZ dollars to euros TWICE. Then when my wife (at home) challenged them on this for me she was threatened with cancelling my card. These people are an absolute disaster.
Second trip I took two thousand in euros in a money belt it never left my side even take it into the showers hang it on the wall and at night it went into the bottom of my sleeping bag just before I when in on top of it.. It worked a treat. You just have to get the mind set in place .You dont lose it. But I found this less stressful than cards I am going back in April with my Daughter I am going to use the same system.

Exactly what I do. Money belt is under my underpants. This is by far the safest way to carry cash. Have some euros in a pocket purse to see me through each day.

I have already had a purse stolen in a monastery parking lot in the USA! You can get robbed anywhere! I lost abt two hundred dollars in cash and all my credit cards and drivers license.

After such an experience I caution you not to carry thousands of euros around. Do not think because you have a money belt your money is safe! You may be safe in numbers in an albergue...but when walking on paths there are times when one is isolated. Many robbers are sophisticated enough to look for a money belt.

If you are unlucky enough or unfortunate enough to get robbed on the Camino, my advice is to minimize your losses. Carry as little cash as needed for a few days with a small reserve. Spread out your cash in a few places. Many private albergues take credit cards on the CF.
Do not resist robbers. Give them what they request. Your health is what is important. Then report the incidence to police.

I have memorized two credit card numbers, along with PIN numbers in case of emergency. I make a copy of my passport and put it in a file which I place in a file on the internet for my trip. Since I travel with my sister, We also exchange copies of passports and drivers licenses while on the camino!

If I can get robbed in broad daylight in a monastery parking lot, Then I can get robbed anywhere.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have already had a purse stolen in a monastery parking lot in the USA! You can get robbed anywhere! I lost abt two hundred dollars in cash and all my credit cards and drivers license.

After such an experience I caution you not to carry thousands of euros around. Do not think because you have a money belt your money is safe! You may be safe in numbers in an albergue...but when walking on paths there are times when one is isolated. Many robbers are sophisticated enough to look for a money belt.

If you are unlucky enough or unfortunate enough to get robbed on the Camino, my advice is to minimize your losses. Carry as little cash as needed for a few days with a small reserve. Spread out your cash in a few places. Many private albergues take credit cards on the CF.
Do not resist robbers. Give them what they request. Your health is what is important. Then report the incidence to police.

I have memorized two credit card numbers, along with PIN numbers in case of emergency. I make a copy of my passport and put it in a file which I place in a file on the internet for my trip. Since I travel with my sister, We also exchange copies of passports and drivers licenses while on the camino!

If I can get robbed in broad daylight in a monastery parking lot, Then I can get robbed anywhere.
As some one who has at times carried thousands of dollars in cash - this makes no sense. A money belt cannot be stolen from you unless you are held up. That’s incredibly rare, and unless you are doing something really stupide like wearing your money belt visibly or opening it in public places to geta few euro out, why would anyone think you had anything to steal? Theft is opportunistic, give them no opportunity no theft will occur.

Obviously the USA is completely different, the risk of violent crime is a hellva lot lower in rural Spain, and most of the rest of the world.

Take photos of your cards and store them online in gmail or similar. And have more than one

As some one who has at times carried thousands of dollars in cash - this makes no sense. A money belt cannot be stolen from you unless you are held up. That’s incredibly rare, and unless you are doing something really stupide like wearing your money belt visibly or opening it in public places to geta few euro out, why would anyone think you had anything to steal? Theft is opportunistic, give them no opportunity no theft will occur.

Obviously the USA is completely different, the risk of violent crime is a hellva lot lower in rural Spain, and most of the rest of the world.

Take photos of your cards and store them online in gmail or similar. And have more than one

Not all robberies are opportunistic. Have we not read of folks, especially women of being accosted on the Camino? Do not think you are safe in rural Spain from Thieves...or being attacked. Nowhere is safe today! If it were...no one would need a money belt.

Exactly what I do. Money belt is under my underpants. This is by far the safest way to carry cash. Have some euros in a pocket purse to see me through each day.
I do not really like money belts as they often get sweaty next to your skin. I prefer using a fanny pack and at the end of the day it goes in the bottom of my sleeping bag.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can always hide your cash in the ATM machine. Even though ATMs might not be on every corner, I'm sure you can find one every few days for the small purchases at the coffee shops and albergues. I'm sure bigger stores and hotels accept cards if you feel the need to spend big bucks. I, personally, will probably carry €200 or so at the maximum on hand.
I tried an atm in carrion de condes, it never spit out my $$$😟, had to deal with my bank when I returned, thankfully with a positive result

I have used a money belt with my cards, most of my cash (except for what I needed for the day) and my passport in it, all hidden under my clothes at the back. I was quite disconcerted when the passport was required to sign in at an albergue and I had to dig it out awkwardly while all those at the sign in desk watched.

I have used a money belt with my cards, most of my cash (except for what I needed for the day) and my passport in it, all hidden under my clothes at the back. I was quite disconcerted when the passport was required to sign in at an albergue and I had to dig it out awkwardly while all those at the sign in desk watched.
Passport numbers: all credentials that I have seen in my role as hospitalera have a page for pilgrims to fill in details, one of which is your passport number. When that information is filled in there is no need for you to go hunting for your passport.

I do not have a Charles Schwab card but my bank allows 3 reimbursements a month from other banks with a minimum balance in my checking account. I usually withdraw about 5 times max during the trip. We stay mainly at private hostels, albergues, hotels and rural accommodations almost all took visa or MasterCard. Many are reasonably priced. Last year we stayed in Orisson which required cash. Some of the albergues even allowed us to put dinner and breakfast on the card. It is apparently different at municipal facilities. We even shopped at Supermarcados and used the credit cards. Gaddis, Eroski and Dias all took them. BTW make sure you have a four number pin for your ATM card.

I'm told (by Daughter No1) that THESE are not too uncomfortable to wear but sometimes require a planned visit to the ladies'/women's/females' (I'm not opening up THAT can of worms again) restroom/bathroom/toilet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm told (by Daughter No1) that THESE are not too uncomfortable to wear but sometimes require a planned visit to the ladies'/women's/females' (I'm not opening up THAT can of worms again) restroom/bathroom/toilet.
Looks like a winner, except we'd need two of them to stay equally balanced on both sides. And personally, I don't need any extra padding in that "area". 😉

Looks like a winner, except we'd need two of them to stay equally balanced on both sides. And personally, I don't need any extra padding in that "area". 😉
Funny you should say that, Katherine bought them as a "toofer" but ended up losing one to Daughter No2. Both wear them under their arms. As Philippa says "it makes me feel like Bond, James Bond" (over active imagination much?)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Passport numbers: all credentials that I have seen in my role as hospitalera have a page for pilgrims to fill in details, one of which is your passport number. When that information is filled in there is no need for you to go hunting for your passport.
@kirkie
This is generally true, but the request for my passport was made in spite of all information being filled in on my credencial. I don't remember the details now, but I suspect that I was simply too much of a newbie at the time to know that my fully filled in credencial would be adequate, and so was doing what I was asked. In any case, I no longer keep my passport where I cannot access it easily and modestly. I use an inside zipped pocket in trousers or skirt to carry valuables.

Funny you should say that, Katherine bought them as a "toofer" but ended up losing one to Daughter No2. Both wear them under their arms. As Philippa says "it makes me feel like Bond, James Bond" (over active imagination much?)
If I wore one under my arm on the camino I'd probably need to wash it out every day😁, thus having to remove the money. Where would I put it to be safe while it's on the clothesline drying? 😂 I think I'll stick with my fannypack!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@kirkie
This is generally true, but the request for my passport was made in spite of all information being filled in on my credencial. I don't remember the details now, but I suspect that I was simply too much of a newbie at the time to know that my fully filled in credencial would be adequate, and so was doing what I was asked. In any case, I no longer keep my passport where I cannot access it easily and modestly. I use an inside zipped pocket in trousers or skirt to carry valuables.
Your point was that it is not good to have to go rooting for valuables, and you are 100% correct. let’s hope your next time will have no uncomfortable moments like that time!

If I wore one under my arm on the camino I'd probably need to wash it out every day😁, thus having to remove the money. Where would I put it to be safe while it's on the clothesline drying? 😂 I think I'll stick with my fannypack!
Each to their own - just don't use the expression "fannypack" in the UK ;)

There are so many threads already about this issue. I carry a maximum of 300 euros in a front pocket and replenish when I'm down to 2 days needs, believing there is "always an ATM somewhere." Only failed once on the CA.
To Hollum, the notes are paper and they don't wash well.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is what I wear as a money belt and have done for years. The one I have takes 2 passport , several cards and at times some thousands of dollars. I never access it in public - that’s negates the whole point of wearing it. You don’t need 2 - I will occasionally swap sides, but it doesn’t really matter which side it’s on. The important thing is to wear a loose top.

No you don’t, I wear it in se Asia,and wash it about once a month. I will only do so when I have less cash and somewhere safe to put it - it takes at most a couple of hours in air con to dry

I'm amazed to hear of people carrying thousands of Euros in cash on Camino. :eek:
What earthly reason is there to do so? :rolleyes:
There are ATMs all over the place.

I carry e200-300 most of the time and 2 ATM cards for our Euro account (debit cards). 1 is a spare backup card issued by the bank. All dome through our Australian bank. A couple of credit cards go in too.

One set of cards and most of the cash goes into a wallet hung inside my shirt with a neck strap.
Another set of cards and some cash is hidden elsewhere.

Whilst I realise many places along the Caminos are cash based, many also take cards.
For small hotels, CR and some restaurants I'll often pay with by Euro account debit card.
That's probably about 40%+ of the time..........

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As with most trips in the civilized world, I used an ATM for cash as needed. I kept my money in my wallet that was either in my pocket or in my cross-body handbag.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back