• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleeping bag on winter way in Dec?

Isobelle

Time of past OR future Camino
September/October
hello
I've found this forum very helpful in making decisions on which way to walk. Thank you. Now im wondering about packing. I'm thinking now of the winter way in early December. Do I need a sleeping bag at this time of year?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Absolutely. We are starting late November and December. You will need a sleeping bag! Even some of the hotels turn off the heat for several hours at night. În albergues count on the heat going off for sometime! They expect you to have a sleeping bag. And even if a few albergues have blankets, stick with your sleeping bag! Critters may be hiding in those blankets. In addition, confirm any reservations you make the morning you are walking there, as weather, in particular may cause a place to close. Don’t depend on the “Winter List” of open accommodations of the CF as owners may simply close up! Verify ahead! Buen Camino!

Last edited:
hello
I've found this forum very helpful in making decisions on which way to walk. Thank you. Now im wondering about packing. I'm thinking now of the winter way in early December. Do I need a sleeping bag at this time of year?
Yes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you are only staying in private rooms and hotels, you probably won't need one. If you are planning on albergues, you will need something even if it is a sleeping bag liner with a small quilt or blanket that you can tuck inside to keep warm. As mentioned above, many places do not have heat or only have heat for a limited period of time.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
hello
By Winter Way, you mean the Camino Invierno?
If you are staying in Albergues. Yes.
I needed one in May this year. ;)

hello
Might I add to the resounding chorus of ‘yes’ with ‘yes; and a decent one’.

Absolutely. We are starting late November and December. You will need a sleeping bag! even some of the hotels turnoff the heat for several hours at night. În albergues count on the heat going off for sometime! they expect you to have a sleeping bag. Evenif a few albergues have blankets, stick with your sleeping bag! In addition,docs firm anyreservationyou make the morn8ng you are walking there, as weather,nparticular maycause a place to close. Don’t depend on the “Winter List” of open accommodations of the CF as owners may simply close up! Buen Camino!
Might I add to the resounding chorus of ‘yes’ with ‘yes; and a decent one’.
I have used a 3 season bag ( not winter bag) onthe Camino in Winter months indoors. But I also added at times ( needed) to wear, pants a long sleeve shirt, and a micro fleece jacket to keep cozy in the bag? Depended on how much heat was in the building.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, I used one in April on the VdlP. If weight is a concern, consider a lightweight down quilt.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.