• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stick stashers - a clever way to temporarily stow your hiking poles

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I recently came across this product that looks like an easy way to temporarily stow your hiking poles. It consists of magnets - you attach one set to your poles, and the other to your backpack.

Here's the website, though I bet that someone could come up with a DIY solution too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Osprey packs come with their own hiking pole holders, but possibly you are referring to storing them inside your pack. I use very chunky rubber tips anyway, that would never make a hole.
No, completely different. Here's a video from the website showing them in action.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Now that's a great idea!

Like so many others, we primarily carry Osprey (plus they're from our home US state of Colorado!), so there's a nicely built-in carry for poles as Camino Chrissy notes above.

Funny story; a young woman we met near the end of the Frances, right around Palas del Rei, had been carry her poles for long periods of time. So I pointed out to her that she didn't need to carry her poles, that her Osprey had a built-in carry system. She stopped in her tracks, looked at me in dismay and said; "I've been carrying these poles for 400 miles and now someone tells me!"

Now she knows.

Funny story; a young woman we met near the end of the Frances, right around Palas del Rei, had been carry her poles for long periods of time. So I pointed out to her that she didn't need to carry her poles, that her Osprey had a built-in carry system. She stopped in her tracks, looked at me in dismay and said; "I've been carrying these poles for 400 miles and now someone tells me!"

Why was she not using her poles?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
While a clever idea at first glance, I would not like the sticks swinging to and fro. Also, if a stick gets caught on anything, the magnet will not hold it.

I use the Osprey Kestrel rucksack with a left-side bungee cord holder. It works to do the same thing, and came with the pack. No problems with this method in nearly 8 years of use.

Hope this helps.

Tom

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I actually have never used my Osprey tote bungees. I normally use just one of my poles and stow the other one fully collapsed in a side pocket and the loop above it.

I think I'm with @t2andreo - I dont think I'd like them to swing behind me and I'd be more nervous that I would simply lose one or both at some point.

Yes, as @trecile points - there could be a merit for freeing your hands to take a picture, et al, but somehow I did survived walking 900km and taking 2.5K photos and over 100 videos. :)

IIRC, I stashed them into the backpack loops (I have Gregory Zulu) perhaps 3 times. I'm perfectly fine having both of my poles in one hand carrying them handles down sort of behind my arm (like a musket without a sling). The need for use can come up very fast and it'll take no time to get them ready

But hey - to each their own.

I think that it would be useful for stowing the poles very temporarily, like for taking pictures.
That might help, but if the straps are being worn correctly on a technical pole, the pole will fall away from one's hands and not be a major impediment to taking a photo. That said, there may be circumstances where it would be desirable to completely remove the poles. The other reason promoted in the video, scrambling up rock faces, seems pretty irrelevant in the context of the camino. But that doesn't mean that there aren't people who do want to stow their poles, and that will always be their prerogative.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think that it would be useful for stowing the poles very temporarily, like for taking pictures.
I usually hold them in one or the other armpit when taking photos. But these clips would work too.

I have also seen many pilgrims jam their poles into the horizontal sternum strap while taking photos.

It's all good.

Hope this helps.

Tom

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Besides walking caminos every few years, I also hike a great deal. I can’t count the times when I have had to throw my poles up or down ahead of me as I needed to use my hands while rock scrambling. Or how often I’ve leaned my poles on my abdomen as I’ve retrieved my phone from my pocket to take a picture, only to have one or both fall to the ground. I think the Spuds would be a great solution for those short-term situations.

The only time I stash my poles in my carry loops on my backpack is if I’m boarding a train or going into a restaurant or shop, or overnight at an albergue or such. Poles are meant to be used while you walk/hike - not stashed away.

my Osprey Kestrel 48 has two long zipped pockets on either side for storing my Leki Vario Micro poles that colapses to38 cm. I use this option when packing for storing in the hull...
Does other Osprey sizes have this as well ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There's no end of great ideas for outdoor kit. A carabiner attached to the shoulder strap has many versatile uses, including holding trekking poles.

Why was she not using her poles?
Probably because she didn’t need to or want to. Her choice. You don’t have to agree with it or challenge it.
Because of the way osteoarthritis has manifested in my knees I only need my poles for downhills, and not for flats or uphills. I sometimes use them on steep uphills towards the end of the day, but for the flat sections between hills I stow them in a DIY copy of the Osprey system.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.