• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothing for the Aubrac in early to mid-October

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Via Podiensis, Voie d'Arles, Aragonés
I will be taking the Via Podiensis in early to mid-October and am wondering what to expect in terms of climate and what to bring in terms of clothes. I understand that because of the high altitude, the Aubrac and be cold. Also what to expect in terms of terrain so what type of boots to bring. Rain pants? Gaiters? A down vest?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The altitude is above 1000m for most of that segment. You will want layers; it can be cold (frost) at night, yet be warm (shorts, depending on personal preference) in some afternoons. Autumn storms are not out of the question; you should anticipate at least two rainy days in your trip (maybe more). I recommend a quick-drying baselayer (merino wool or polyprop long underwear), quick-drying trousers, two long-sleeve shirts, one short-sleeve shirt, a lightweight fleece jumper (not down unless the water-repellent type), lightweight gloves, and a fleece hat. You will want good raingear (possibly rain pants). And since things will be cooler, clothes will not dry so quickly -- I would take extra underwear and socks. Since there will be fewer walkers, some lodgings may not be open, so calling in advance to make arrangements would be useful.

The "Pass of the 13 Winds" is well named. Plan on some cold winds. (edit...that is south of the Aubrac, in the Haute Languedoc, but similar)

13 winds.JPG

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks so much for the information! I was wondering about sleeping needs--will I need a sleeping bag and will a summerweight 50+ do?

The lodgings will have blankets; so you might get along ok with just a silk sleeping bag liner. But this is shoulder season, and there is no guarantee that the heat will be on. So a lightweight down quilt (or a summerweight bag) might be more comfortable.

Rain pants and gaiters yes!
Last spring, end of May , I needed my rainpants to put over my trousers to be warm enough, even if it did not rain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back