Collective nouns on the Camino :D

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Dec 28, 2007
Norway and UK
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
Having an online chat today I started wondering what the correct plural of Altus is - Altuses or Alti? - and that lead to some brainstorming on what the correct collective pronoun might be ...
A cloudburst of Altuses? Or a Galicia of Altuses?

Or how about a billow of ponchos?
A school of teenagers (from Sarria)?
And what is the correct (ie funniest or most poignant) collective noun for a pilgrim? A herd? A mass? A stroll?

Give me your best collective Camino related noun!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

clearskiescamino

Veteran Member
Mar 15, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
www.clearskiescamino.com
Too many to mention...
Reactions: JennyH94 and David

Mike Savage

So many friends to meet . . . so little time
Sep 26, 2014
Utah, USA
www.mike-savage.com
Camino Francés,Inglés
Muxia/Finisterre
Português Coastal
Português Central
Sanabrés
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

MKalcolm M

Solvitur ambulando - It is solved by walking
Mar 28, 2013
Scotland
north route spring 2013
An abundance of pilgrims,
a sore of blisters,
a score of snorers,
a lugfull of earplugs,
a tapping of poles,
a chaffing of sores,
a biting of bed bugs,
a headfull of hangovers,
a flock of flechas, (or a quiver of arrows),
a passing of paths,
a carding of credencials,
a sweating of socks,
a pack of mochillas,
a squeaking of bunks,
a company of compeed,
a sticking of plasters,
etc.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

supersullivan

Jul 14, 2012
Dun Laoghaire, Ireland
Sarria-Santiago 2012. SJPP-Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia 2013. Ponferrada-Santiago June 2014. Leon-Santiago-Finisterre September 2014. April-May 2015: SJPP- S de C- Finisterre -Muxia- S de C.
A convocation of nuns
a potage of peregrinos
a smorgasbord of snorers
a litany of laundry
an O.M.G. of odours

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery

€83,-

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

pilgrim b

Veteran Member
Jan 21, 2013
Yorkshire UK
Caminos Frances 2013-Ingles 2014-Frances 2015
St Cuthbert's Way 2017-Via Francigena 2018 & 2019
or maybe A splash of Vino Tinto followed by a fix of Cafe Con Leche the following morning. :)

And what is the correct (ie funniest or most poignant) collective noun for a pilgrim? A herd? A mass? A stroll?

A plod of pilgrims?

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

cherrys

Mar 1, 2013
Ballston Spa NY
Camino Frances Sept/Oct (2013), Finisterre/Muxia Oct (2013), Camino Frances and on to Finisterre Sept/Oct (2016)
Having an online chat today I started wondering what the correct plural of Altus is - Altuses or Alti? - and that lead to some brainstorming on what the correct collective pronoun might be ...
A cloudburst of Altuses? Or a Galicia of Altuses?

Or how about a billow of ponchos?
A school of teenagers (from Sarria)?

Give me your best collective Camino related noun!
A flock of pilgrims?

Reactions: JennyH94

cherrys

Mar 1, 2013
Ballston Spa NY
Camino Frances Sept/Oct (2013), Finisterre/Muxia Oct (2013), Camino Frances and on to Finisterre Sept/Oct (2016)

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Im planning a November Frances Camino. I have an Altus rain coat that covers me and pack nicely but I’m wondering do I get a backpack cover and wear a hooded shell light jacket over heavier...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
Hi everyone! I'm planning to start on the Camino de Francés, then from Léon I will walk the Camino San Salvador, then the Camino Primitivo and maybe if I have time the Camino de Fisterra. My...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides