• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coming Back to the Forum

pattymo97206

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked 360km (2012) Planning 790K May (2014)
I walked the Camino for the second time in the spring of 2014 and haven't been on the Forum since. I returned home after two months in Spain and on the Camino and found the transition back to my daily life confusing & painful (physically) . I had developed very painful tendonitis about three quarters of the way across the Meseta. I needed 5 days rest and some ground trnsport, but I walked 400 miles. It took another month after returning home to completely heal. Then, I found I couldn't walk more than 3 miles without serious pain in both knees.

Then in 2015, I began an entirely different kind of journey. In January, I had my first knee replacement. At age 72, it was my first ever surgery other than the in and out kind (arthroscopies). Then in October, I had my second knee replacement. It was a year of pain, rehab, depression, mind numbing exhaustion, uncertainty (will I be able to walk again). Every time I visited my PT, I visualized a doll that looked just like him and I poking needles in his knees. I honestly don't know how those that have both knees done at once handle it.

Now, in July 2016, seven months after my second surgery, I am pain free, my energy is back and the desire to walk is stronger than ever. On September 7th, I leave for Scotland and the 220k walk on the John Muir Way. I'm also planning on returning to Spain in 2018 to walk a Camino. I like to tell people by then I'll be 76 years old, but my knees will be just 3 years old.

It is so good being back! And life is good!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the Camino for the second time in the spring of 2014 and haven't been on the Forum since. I returned home after two months in Spain and on the Camino and found the transition back to my daily life confusing & painful (physically) . I had developed very painful tendonitis about three quarters of the way across the Meseta. I needed 5 days rest and some ground trnsport, but I walked 400 miles. It took another month after returning home to completely heal. Then, I found I couldn't walk more than 3 miles without serious pain in both knees.

Then in 2015, I began an entirely different kind of journey. In January, I had my first knee replacement. At age 72, it was my first ever surgery other than the in and out kind (arthroscopies). Then in October, I had my second knee replacement. It was a year of pain, rehab, depression, mind numbing exhaustion, uncertainty (will I be able to walk again). Every time I visited my PT, I visualized a doll that looked just like him and I poking needles in his knees. I honestly don't know how those that have both knees done at once handle it.

Now, in July 2016, seven months after my second surgery, I am pain free, my energy is back and the desire to walk is stronger than ever. On September 7th, I leave for Scotland and the 220k walk on the John Muir Way. I'm also planning on returning to Spain in 2018 to walk a Camino. I like to tell people by then I'll be 76 years old, but my knees will be just 3 years old.

Welcome back , and I think that it's a great feeling without the pain now.
And that you are planning a walk now must be a great feeling. :D:D
Wish you well , Peter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

So awesome! Congratulations. I'm an operating room nurse...can't wait to tell the total knee patients this. I did the west highland way last year....beautiful! (And the Camino frames in may of 14). Have fun!

Nice to see you back Pattymo97206,
Say hello to my beloved Scotland for me please and tell it I miss it with all my heart.
If life is good now ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just think how wonderful it will be if in in 2018 you are once again walking a Camino.
Buen (new-knees John Muir Way and) Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello and Welcome Back!

Life after the Camino can be quite physically challenging... but wonderful to see how well you've come through this and a big thumbs up to your upcoming walking plans.

My hubby is 2 weeks post an unexpected total shoulder reconstruction with the other shoulder and elbow to be scheduled once recovered from this one. It is also his first serious surgery ever other than having his broken elbow pinned and wired 3 years ago. He's just turned 64 so I told him your story to inspire him as he is taking his enforced rest quite badly. Oh - he also needs a knee or two looking at!

The patience and endurance that you've shown in your long healing journey will serve you well on your long walks and future Camino.

Go well!

Great to hear your story.
I used to deliver medicines to the housebound and older people who had trouble getting to the pharmacy. Regularly I meet folks about to have knee replacement operations and they were obviously a bit apprehensive. So it was lovely as I revisited them every month or so to see the change from immobility to more and more independence and loss of the pain which they had suffered for years. For you to be looking forward to another camino is absolutely great.
Buen Camino
Joe.

Thank all of you for the wonderful replies. Took me awhile to get back here due to logging in issues, but those seem to have resolved. I have missed being on this forum and now I remember why! It's the support, encouragement and love that is shown to all by all.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I'm hoping to go back and do a third and final walk in the Fall of 2018. I have many fond memories of walking with you, Annie, Joe, and the rest. Perhaps I will see you on the Way once more -- who's to say it could not happen? On my second walk I ran into Pam from Perth! Miracles happen on the Camino! Pax. Fr. Jeffrey

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm hoping to go back and do a third and final walk in the Fall of 2018. I have many fond memories of walking with you, Annie, Joe, and the rest. Perhaps I will see you on the Way once more -- who's to say it could not happen? On my second walk I ran into Pam from Perth! Miracles happen on the Camino! Pax. Fr. Jeffrey

Fr. Jeffrey, I did not know you are on this Forum. What a wonderful Surprize! I am so envious that you got to see Pam from Perth on your second walk. Four weeks from today, I leave to walk across Scotland on the John Muir Way. It is the ancestral walk I talked about. It is kind of a test to see how my new knees hold up. It's short (135 miles) and pretty flat. I'm planning another walk in Spain in 2018. Just not sure what the route will look like. It would be wonderful to see you again.

Hello and Welcome Back!

Life after the Camino can be quite physically challenging... but wonderful to see how well you've come through this and a big thumbs up to your upcoming walking plans.

My hubby is 2 weeks post an unexpected total shoulder reconstruction with the other shoulder and elbow to be scheduled once recovered from this one. It is also his first serious surgery ever other than having his broken elbow pinned and wired 3 years ago. He's just turned 64 so I told him your story to inspire him as he is taking his enforced rest quite badly. Oh - he also needs a knee or two looking at!

The patience and endurance that you've shown in your long healing journey will serve you well on your long walks and future Camino.

Go well!

I hope your husband is recovering well from his shoulder reconstruction. I don't know how long it takes to recover from a surgery such as that, but it sounds pretty complicated. I understand his taking his enforced rest badly. I'm very impatient and there were times during my initial recovery that I wasn't sure I would ever be able to do another long distance walk. Encourage him to be dedicated to Physical Therapy. Hopefully the second round will be easier. My second knee replacement was much, much easier than the first one.

Good luck to both of you!!

Nice to see you back Pattymo97206,
Say hello to my beloved Scotland for me please and tell it I miss it with all my heart.
If life is good now ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just think how wonderful it will be if in in 2018 you are once again walking a Camino.
Buen (new-knees John Muir Way and) Camino

Four weeks from today I leave for Scotland and my ancestral trek across the country. My paternal grandfather was born in Galashiels. I have a patch that say "Proud to be Scottish" and a heart shaped piece of my family's tartan for my pack. It seems we are a part of the McClaren Clan. I will say hello for you and whisper on the breeze how you miss it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If I remember correctly, I said the same thing. I'm not sure anyone ever says goodbye to Spain and the Camino.
The day I stop dreaming of Spain will never come.

Good luck in Scotland. Are you walking with a group, or using a company - or going solo?

Prayers and best wishes.

The day I stop dreaming of Spain will never come.

Good luck in Scotland. Are you walking with a group, or using a company - or going solo?

Prayers and best wishes.

I hear ya, Fr. Jeffrey. It's been 2 1/2 years since I walked last and I still have flashbacks. I think of Spain & the Camino every day. I own copies of "the Way" and "Walking the Camino; Six ways to Santiago" and watch them every once in awhile.

I'm going to Scotland with two friends, accommadations and baggage transport all arranged. It is their first long distance walk.

Oh yeah!! Three days in Reykjavik.

Then I"ll start planning my next pilgrimage from Pamplona. Won't do the Pyrenees again as much as I loved them. Did them safely twice and don't want to push my luck.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I hope your husband is recovering well from his shoulder reconstruction. I don't know how long it takes to recover from a surgery such as that, but it sounds pretty complicated. I understand his taking his enforced rest badly. I'm very impatient and there were times during my initial recovery that I wasn't sure I would ever be able to do another long distance walk. Encourage him to be dedicated to Physical Therapy. Hopefully the second round will be easier. My second knee replacement was much, much easier than the first one.

Good luck to both of you!!
Thanks for your good wishes. Hubby is now well on the way to recovery with hydrotherapy and physiotherapy sessions. Gives me a good excuse to get some extra swimming and gym sessions in as well to consolidate my own recovery from last year's foot navicular fracture.

Don't even want to think about hubby's second round of surgery!

All the best for your walk across Scotland.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.