• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back to the Camino

brothersamuel

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2007, Primitivo 2023, ??? 2024
Hola, everyone!

I have walked the Camino Frances in autumn 2007 with my then fiancé (now my wife, today is our 15th wedding anniversary...), during our planning we have found the (old) forum a great help. Since then I have been avoiding this forum for many years, trying not to scratch the pilgrim-itch, due to many other obligations - family, work, voluntary work, etc. etc.

Yesterday, on the Feast of St. James, I had this realization or inspiration: Our kids will be finishing their homeschooling time soon - NOW is the time to walk (at least a short) Camino with each of them, before they get sucked in the high school life... So, I am now fighting by work calendar to clear some two week space in my work schedule and looking for flights to Asturias - the plan is to walk the Camino Primitivo (or part of the Norte? Still not 100% sure, but leaning towards the Primitivo) with my 14yo son. Next year will be my daughter's turn, we will see where from...

I cannot wait to be back - the memories from the first pilgrimage are still so alive... - and my son cannot wait to start walking... The kids have often listened to our stories and memories from back then, now is their time to make their own. And I am immensely thankful that I can walk along with them.

So, thanks to everyone contributing here, I have already found a fount of information to help us choosing the route. And if anyone will be walking at the end of September / early October, see you then, Deo volente.

Pax!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You're lucky to have kids that want to do this. I've had no success getting my 14 year old daughter wanting to do it. Hopefully that changes one day...

Hola, everyone!

I have walked the Camino Frances in autumn 2007 with my then fiancé (now my wife, today is our 15th wedding anniversary...), during our planning we have found the (old) forum a great help. Since then I have been avoiding this forum for many years, trying not to scratch the pilgrim-itch, due to many other obligations - family, work, voluntary work, etc. etc.

Yesterday, on the Feast of St. James, I had this realization or inspiration: Our kids will be finishing their homeschooling time soon - NOW is the time to walk (at least a short) Camino with each of them, before they get sucked in the high school life... So, I am now fighting by work calendar to clear some two week space in my work schedule and looking for flights to Asturias - the plan is to walk the Camino Primitivo (or part of the Norte? Still not 100% sure, but leaning towards the Primitivo) with my 14yo son. Next year will be my daughter's turn, we will see where from...

I cannot wait to be back - the memories from the first pilgrimage are still so alive... - and my son cannot wait to start walking... The kids have often listened to our stories and memories from back then, now is their time to make their own. And I am immensely thankful that I can walk along with them.

So, thanks to everyone contributing here, I have already found a fount of information to help us choosing the route. And if anyone will be walking at the end of September / early October, see you then, Deo volente.

Pax!
your kids grow up remarkably quickly and will soon have their own agenda to compete with yours. Thus make the most of it while you can is my advice. It is a fantastic experience to watch them at this age learn and appreciate what makes you and others happy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You're lucky to have kids that want to do this. I've had no success getting my 14 year old daughter wanting to do it. Hopefully that changes one day...

When my daughter was 11 she joined her mother for an 800+ mile walk from John O'Groats to Lands End. The length of the UK mainland from north to south. At the time she was the youngest female known to have made the walk. Made me wonder about genetics and the old nature vs nurture argument :)

JOGLE.jpg

When my daughter was 11 she joined her mother for an 800+ mile walk from John O'Groats to Lands End. The length of the UK mainland from north to south. At the time she was the youngest female known to have made the walk. Made me wonder about genetics and the old nature vs nurture argument :)

View attachment 153579
I have a dream that one day she will ask me if I'd like to walk a long camino with her. Probably a dream that won't be realized, but you never know. In the meantime there's no point in forcing her to do something she isn't interested in. That said, I'm perfectly willing and happy to force her to join her mom and me for a short camino of a week or so. She's still a kid, so I get to call some of the shots, and dammit she's going to walk with us and she's going to like it, whether she likes it or not!

Shortly before my son turned 25 I floated an idea for both of us to do The Camino Inca to Machu Picchu. The thought was that, heck chances are he'll probably get married soon and "there'll be planes to catch and bills to pay" and this very well could be the Swan Song of a Father\Son things to do together. It was an unbelievable experience (I just whish there were some things that he wouldn't tell MY mother afterwards....LOL).
In any case, he didn't get married for another 10 years...and with one kid already running around the house (and possibly another by the time the deed may happen) he completely FLOORED me when he said that he would love to join me on my planned Kilimanjaro trek (roughly 2 years from now). His waife wholeheartedly gave her Blessings.
I was and still am impressed (but I know he'll never walk the Camino. with or without me)
Reckon we take what we can

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It might. I had no success getting my daughter interested during most of her teen years (her older brother walked a Camino with me when he was 16) but at 19 she changed her mind and we are planning to walk in April/May next year. I think it was the prospect of meeting lots of animals that eventually won her over.

And if not, then this is ok too.
Lots of adults neither are interested in walking a Camino.
It is all good.

Lots of adults neither are interested in walking a Camino.
It is all good.
True that. My wife is interested in a walking holiday in Spain, to enjoy the scenery and food. But she claims she "doesn't need a pilgrimage". (p.s. she does, she just doesn't know it).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.