• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coming from New Jersey USA and Walking the French Way in May

maximillian2

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2013); May (2015)
I'm a 58 year old grandmother of one and I am planning to walk the French Way this May (Planning to leave New Jersey on May 8) 2013 "sola".

I want to arrive in Paris and maybe sleep there overnight to get myself aclimated with France, but I'm a little bit concerned that I don't speak a single word of French.

My mind is pretty much set, but still working on the details and the procurement of stuff I need. I have 45 days to spend in this pilgrimage. God willing, I'm planning to go to Fatima and Lourdes after I complete my Camino early enough. Has anyone out there done the walk with a side trip to Fatima and Lourdes after the walk?

Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi....I'm from Indianapolis & my best friend, Nilda and I will fly in to Madrid then train or bus to Pamplona then take a taxi to St Jean. After our Camino we will train to Fatima then to Lourdes. After Lourdes we will take the night train to Infant Jesus in Prague. We're arriving in Madrid on May 14th. Another couple from Idaho are traveling the same date we are so we will meet at the airport & travel to St Jean together. If you're going same date we are maybe we can start walking together-if not maybe our paths will cross. We have travelled to Europe a few times before so it's not too intimidating anymore. Please PM me if I can help in anyway.
Buen Camino
Remy

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
maximillian2 - with Lourdes being in the east and Fatima way over in the west, have you thought of visiting Lourdes first and then travelling to St jean to start your Camino?
Then you could visit Fatima after your Camino and fly back to Paris from Santiago.

Allan: I'm planning to leave the US May 8. I originally planned to visit Lourdes first to get the blessings from Our Lady of Lourdes, but changed my mind and started playing with the idea of starting from spending a few days in Paris or Madrid.

Now that sillydoll has laid out the georgrahic location of Fatima and Lourdes, I think I will go to Lourdes first on May 9 or 10. Then, start my camino on May 11.

I'm still putting my plan on paper and jotting down suggestions. I'm so new with this.

I just came back from the Holy Land and still trying to get my bearing.

Hi indyrem: I am right now inclined to adjust my schedule so I will be at St. Jean the day your group will be there. Do you know when will you be arriving at St. Jean? I will see if I can do my side trip to Lourdes before I go to St. Jean.

It is so kind of you to welcome me to your group. I hope it will all work out.

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Hi indyrem: Can you share with me the details of your trip from Fatima to Lourdes; then Prague after the compostela?

I need to book my flight. Here is my "final" plan:
Flight to Madrid (April 26 or May 8)
Train from Madrid to Lourdes (Stay in Lourdes for three days)
Train from Lourdes to SJPP,
Camino (35 days)
SDC to Fatima (Stay in Fatima for two days)
Back to the US

Looks good on paper, but I hve no idea what reservations I need except for the flights.

Please HELP!!!;) I really need to do this camino.

I need to book my flight. Here is my "final" plan:
Flight to Madrid (April 26 or May 8)
Train from Madrid to Lourdes (Stay in Lourdes for three days)
Train from Lourdes to SJPP,
Camino (35 days)
SDC to Fatima (Stay in Fatima for two days)
Back to the US

Looks good on paper, but I hve no idea what reservations I need except for the flights.

Update: I have overcome my panic. I finally booked my flight for Madrid for May 8. I will go to Lourdes first before starting my Camino at SJPP.

Bueno Camino todos peregrinos!

Fly to Madrid May13
Arrive in Madrid May 14 8am
Meet couple from idaho at airport
Train (3hrs) or bus(5 hrs) to pamplona
Taxi to St Jean Pied de Port
Overnight stay at l'esprit du chemin (need to make reservation while in US)
Start camino in am after getting pilgrims passports& shell- May 15 -if still jet lagged will stay another day.
Stay in Santiago for 1 day
Train to Porto, Portugal then bus to fatima
Stay one day in Fatima-leave next day for Lourdes
Stay one day in Lourdes
Train from Lourdes to Paris.
If have time will do little sightseeing- if not will sightsee after Prague
Take night train (10 hrs) to Prague
Stay one day
Night train back to Paris
Sightsee Paris & Versailles
If stil have time will take eurostar train to London -takes 2-1/2 hrs
Hop on double decker bus to sightsee London
Take train back to paris
Take trenhotel from paris to Madrid
Sightsee Madrid
Leave for US next day

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Advice:from Auberge du Chemin,buy food for the evening and walk 8km to Gite Kayola,owned by Auberge at Orisson,Kayola is 1km from Orisson for a beer or meal.You can book Kayola online at Auberge Orisson.We travelled like you from Madrid to Pamplona by bus and then taxi to ST Jean,about 90 euro for taxi.but try and share it.Buen Camino.Johann Pretorius from South Africa

indyrem said:
... I will fly in to Madrid then train or bus to Pamplona then take a taxi to St Jean....

You can take the train from Madrid to St. Jean Pied du Port. It will be much less expensive than a taxi from Pamplona. When I started in SJPP in April 2004, I met 4 Americans on the train in Bayone who had their travel agent book them train tickets right through.

But there is no "wrong way" to get to SJPP, just as there is no wrong way to do the Camino.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
maximillian2 said:
... but I'm a little bit concerned that I don't speak a single word of French.!

Have your travel agent book your hotel room in paris, and book your train tickets to SJPP.
Pick up a little French Phrase Book for Travellers. You will be fine.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Thank God for this forum.

I already booked my flight for Madrid on May 8. That is progress!

And thank you all. I will go through the other postings as part of my planning.

Buen Camino!

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
Hello, my name is Wendy and I walked the Camino Primitivo in September 2022 and I’m planning to walk the full Camino Portugues from Lisbon to Santiago beginning September 7, 2024, in honor of my...
Hello! I and my friend Cecilia will walk Camino Ingles with start 4th of October. We are so excited to our first but not last Camino. Buen Camino to all of you.
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back