• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coming to Roncesvalles

Valery

Time of past OR future Camino
French way(November 2018)
I have flight to Barcelona and going joying my friend in Roncesvalles and start there. So my questions are:

1. How can I get from Barcelona to Roncesvalles?
2. I understand that I have to have credentials from pilgrim office, is it right? Can I walk without credentials, why I need it? Can I make registration online and receive credentials? As I understand there no pilgrim office in Roncesvalles. If I have to come to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port first?
3. If I don't need any document that I did Camino, should I register?

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Valery,

Sorry, can't answer your first question, though Rome2Rio is great for journey planning.

You need a credential for two main reasons- first to demonstrate to albergues that you are walking/riding the Camino and are allowed to stay there and second to demonstrate once you get to Santiago that you have walked far enough (over 100kms) to earn your compostela.

As far as I know, though @t2andreo our resident expert on such things may correct me, there's no specific format a credential must take, you could in theory just use a piece of paper. But most people go for something more formal. You can buy a credential at Roncesvalles Albergue or alternatively buy one from your local pilgrim association or from this forum, see here.

Hope this helps,

Buen Camino,

Rob.

As far as I know, though @t2andreo our resident expert on such things may correct me, there's no specific format a credential must take, you could in theory just use a piece of paper. But most people go for something more formal. You can buy a credential at Roncesvalles Albergue or alternatively buy one from your local pilgrim association or from this forum, see here.

The Santiago cathedral now insist that in order to receive a Compostela you must use a Credencial approved by them - either their own version or one issued by an authorised group like the various national confraternities or the pilgrim office in Saint Jean. An appropriate Credencial can be bought in Roncesvalles.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks Rob,
Did I understood you right I can just buy it at Roncesvalles Albergue? I am asking because I had doubts that I can.

Thanks Rob,
Did I understood you right I can just buy it at Roncesvalles Albergue? I am asking because I had doubts that I can.

Yup, see points 8 and 9 here.

The Santiago cathedral now insist that in order to receive a Compostela you must use a Credencial approved by them - either their own version or one issued by an authorised group like the various national confraternities or the pilgrim office in Saint Jean. An appropriate Credencial can be bought in Roncesvalles.

Thaks for the correction @Bradypus .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thanks a lot.

I have flight to Barcelona and going joying my friend in Roncesvalles and start there. So my questions are:

1. How can I get from Barcelona to Roncesvalles?
2. I understand that I have to have credentials from pilgrim office, is it right? Can I walk without credentials, why I need it? Can I make registration online and receive credentials? As I understand there no pilgrim office in Roncesvalles. If I have to come to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port first?

Here are some direct answers, in order:

1.1 A train (RENFE.es) can get you from Barcelona - Sants station to Pamplona. You can get a bus from the bus station there. Total time, about 5 hours, I think.

1.2 Alternatively, you can get a bus from Barcelona (Monbus.es) to Roncesvalles, with a transfer at Pamplona.

1.3 In my experience, the transfer at Pamplona will be easier if you use the bus option. It also costs less. The buses are very nice, clean and roomy. They have toilets on board. Some buses also have free WI-Fi.

2.1 You can obtain a credencial from the large, Dutch-run albergue at Roncesvalles. If they do not have one, they will know where to get one. But, I do know that the Pilgrim Office at Santiago provide supplies of the Cathedral-approved credencial to the albergue there.

2.2 Alternatively, you can order a proper credencial online from Casa Ivar. This is Ivar's online shop here on the forum... He mails globally.

2.3 All things considered, if you have enough advance time, I recommend getting the credencial from Ivar so you have it in hand when you start. This reduces your uncertainty. Obtaining a credencial at the Roncesvalles Albergue is a good Plan B.

3.1 To prove you did the Camino, you MUST have an authorized credencial. Get one.

3.2 Obtain a least one stamp / sello daily until you reach Sarria.

3.3. From Sarria into Santiago you must obtain at least TWO sellos per day. Those are the rules...

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here are some direct answers, in order:

1.1 A train (RENFE.es) can get you from Barcelona - Sants station to Pamplona. You can get a bus from the bus station there. Total time, about 5 hours, I think.

1.2 Alternatively, you can get a bus from Barcelona (Monbus.es) to Roncesvalles, with a transfer at Pamplona.

1.3 In my experience, the transfer at Pamplona will be easier if you use the bus option. It also costs less. The buses are very nice, clean and roomy. They have toilets on board. Some buses also have free WI-Fi.

2.1 You can obtain a credencial from the large, Dutch-run albergue at Roncesvalles. If they do not have one, they will know where to get one. But, I do know that the Pilgrim Office at Santiago provide supplies of the Cathedral-approved credencial to the albergue there.

2.2 Alternatively, you can order a proper credencial online from Casa Ivar. This is Ivar's online shop here on the forum... He mails globally.

2.3 All things considered, if you have enough advance time, I recommend getting the credencial from Ivar so you have it in hand when you start. This reduces your uncertainty. Obtaining a credencial at the Roncesvalles Albergue is a good Plan B.

3.1 To prove you did the Camino, you MUST have an authorized credencial. Get one.

3.2 Obtain a least one stamp / sello daily until you reach Sarria.

3.3. Form Sarria into Santiago you must obtain at least TWO sellos per day. Those are the rules...

I hope this helps.

Thanks a lot,
It is very helpful.
If I don't need to prove I did the Camino, I don't need any certificate for me. If I still need credential? Can I buy it latter on the way?

If I don't need to prove I did the Camino, I don't need any certificate for me. If I still need credential? Can I buy it latter on the way?

If you do not want to receive a Compostela when you reach Santiago AND you do not want to stay in albergues then you do not need a credencial. You will need one if you want to sleep in most albergues and not always in private rooms. Credencials can be bought in most of the main towns along the Camino Frances. Although it is not strictly necessary to have one I find it hard to understand why anyone would choose to walk the Camino without one.

Even if you don’t want a Compostela upon reaching Santiago and intend to stay in private lodgings (not allergies), you should have a credencial to mark your journey by getting stamps along the way.

You may change your mind before you reach Santiago and it would be a pity not to have started your walk with credencial in hand.

It makes a great souvenir as all the stamps are different.

I don’t know which country you’re from, but you can request an approved credencial from www.AmericanPilrims.org (free, donations appreciated) as well.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You don't need to register for anything. You just show up and start walking!

Even if you don't care about receiving a Compestela, and won't be staying in albergues, I urge you to still get a credential. The best souvenir that I have from my Caminos is my credential with the stamps that document my journey.

Even if you don’t want a Compostela upon reaching Santiago and intend to stay in private lodgings (not allergies), you should have a credencial to mark your journey by getting stamps along the way.

You may change your mind before you reach Santiago and it would be a pity not to have started your walk with credencial in hand.

It makes a great souvenir as all the stamps are different.

I don’t know which country you’re from, but you can request an approved credencial from www.AmericanPilrims.org (free, donations appreciated) as well.

Buen Camino!

If I can buy the Credentials in Roncesvalles so it is not a problem. I just didn't wanted to go to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to buy the Credentials.

Thanks a lot,
It is very helpful.

Even if you do not want a Compostela (consider that you MIGHT change your mind) you STILL need a credential to stay at an albergue. Albergues serve walking pilgrims first and foremost.

Only those with valid credencials are usually admitted. This rule might change in the winter months, but during the 'season' it is a hard and fast rule... no credencial... no bed...

Also, in my experience, most pilgrims consider that the credencial and all its rubber stamps / sellos is far more precious to them than the Compostela. Every one of those rubber stamps tells a story. When you reflect back at your credencial, you can imagine where you where at that time, who you were with, and what happened. It is the BEST souvenir, at least IMHO.

Also, many pilgrims will come to the Pilgrim Office just to get a final stamp in their credencial to signify they finished their Camino at Santiago. Many do not even seek a Compostela.

I think it is easier to have a credencial and use it along your Camino, and not need it, than to change your mind half-way to Santiago. You cannot easily get sellos after the fact.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Even if you do not want a Compostela (consider that you MIGHT change your mind) you STILL need a credential to stay at an albergue. Albergues serve walking pilgrims first and foremost.

Only those with valid credencials are usually admitted. This rule might change in the winter months, but during the 'season' it is a hard and fast rule... no credencial... no bed...

Also, in my experience, most pilgrims consider that the credencial and all its rubber stamps / sellos is far more precious to them than the Compostela. Every one of those rubber stamps tells a story. When you reflect back at your credencial, you can imagine where you where at that time, who you were with, and what happened. It is the BEST souvenir, at least IMHO.

Also, many pilgrims will come to the Pilgrim Office just to get a final stamp in their credencial to signify they finished their Camino at Santiago. Many do not even seek a Compostela.

I think it is easier to have a credencial and use it along your Camino, and not need it, than to change your mind half-way to Santiago. You cannot easily get sellos after the fact.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot,
I thought I need to go to SJPdP to buy credentials, if I can do it in Roncesvslles the problem is solved.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.