• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Communion at the Cruz de Ferro?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No. There are occasional local romerias which use the small chapel there. But otherwise unless you are in a group which includes a priest then it seems a very remote possibility.

Hi Brady!
It's just going to be my daughter and I. I can lead a communion service.....don't need a priest, although if you have one handy....hahaha!
I forgot about the chapel.
I was thinking of the picnic area across the street?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
C, what's the "romeria" that Brady was referring to? Or Brady, if you're still around?
The " romeria" is on 25th July ( Santiago and Galicia day) organized by Centro de Galicia of Ponferrada and the council of Santa Colomba de Somoza ( where Cruz de Ferro is located). Many people think that Cruz de Ferro is in Bierzo region but Santa Colomba de Somoza is not Bierzo. It is Maragateria region.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Or on a day close to the 25th. In 2022 it took place on 31 July.
View attachment 166028
My interpretation: In 2022, 25th July was public holiday in Castilla y Leon and was Monday ( a clear " puente"). So they moved it to 31th, that was Sunday to ensure more people to go. In 2023, 25h July was again public holiday in C y L so the romeria returned to 25 th that was Tuesday ( not so clear " puente"). This year (2024) 25 th ( Thursday) is not public holiday in C y L, so probably the romeria will be moved to 28th July that is Sunday.

My interpretation: In 2022, 25th July was public holiday in Castilla y Leon and was Monday ( a clear " puente").
"Puente" what a "puente" is ?. Maybe veterans members know it. It is when there is a combination of weekend plus a holiday on Monday or Friday. People in Spain in " puentes" go outside for a little vacation. This could be interesting to know before booking in some places.

"Puente" what a "puente" is ?. Maybe veterans members know it. It is when there is a combination of weekend plus a holiday on Monday or Friday. People in Spain in " puentes" go outside for a little vacation. This could be interesting to know before booking in some places.
Or if the public holiday falls on the Thursday or Tuesday, the puente is the Friday or Monday between the weekend and the holiday. Otherwise it is just a long weekend.

Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Cruz de Ferro, i.e., an iron cross, is not merely a "pole' that some tourist materials call it, is a valued place for prayer and reflection of the journey of life. It strikes me as somewhat inappropriate to be carrying Holy Communion on the Camino. Why not consider an appropriate Bible passage? "For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them" (Matthew 18:20). The following website has a lot of bible verses about pilgrimage. https://www.openbible.info/topics/pilgrimage

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
When I passed there in October last year, there was a single building. A small church off to one side. Sort of "quaint", not old. It was very Roman Catholic, and securely locked. Even if something is available there, it will be a mass, not a communion.

The yearly event - "Romeria" - is a folkloristic-touristic event which does not have a century old tradition. The chapel was built in the 1980s for this purpose.

And while the area of the Cruz de Ferro is described as "is a valued place for prayer and reflection of the journey of life" in Camino publications and Camino blogs, this, too, does not have a century old tradition.

Until fairly recently, the Cruz de Ferro area was an area in nature that happens to have a Christian cross, as there are so many other areas in Spain and elsewhere.

Here is a blow-up of the program listed on the poster for 2022:

Program.jpg

It strikes me as somewhat inappropriate to be carrying Holy Communion on the Camino.
We may be testing the moderators' patience and the limits of Rule 2 but I would be interested to know why you think so. On my second Camino I met another Anglican priest who was very grateful to have a second person with whom to share an informal eucharist. That seemed wholly appropriate to both of us - and also to the Catholic priest who was walking the Camino with his Anglican friend and colleague but could not share the sacrament with him according to his own church's discipline.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On my second Camino I met another Anglican priest who was very grateful to have a second person with whom to share an informal eucharist
Thank you for this explanation!

Even if someone cries “Forum Rules” within the next 5 minutes: It is not against the rules to inform about religious celebrations and rituals as long as it is neutral and not personal disapproval or proselytising or similar. In fact, sharing knowledge to increase mutual understanding corresponds to the famous Spirit of the Camino.

FWIW, I grew up in a rural but mainstream European Christian Church where “twice a year” (first before Easter and then in autumn) was the rule and always in the context of a regular service in our village church. I had to consult a webpage about the applicable church law and read the corresponding article to understand what this thread may even be about. 🤓

Interesting. When I was living in Spain (as a foreigner) some 35 years ago, I had a different understanding of a "puente". Not so much of holidays falling on Monday or Friday (which I saw as regular long weekends from my foreigner perspective, but when holidays fell on Tuesdays or Thursdays. These wouldn't be long weekends where I come from. But when I was living in Spain it seemed universal, if a holiday fell on a Tuesday to also take the Monday off, as a "puente" or bridge to the weekend. Similarly, if a holiday fell on a Thursday, no one would be at work on the Friday, everyone making a "puente" to the weekend. We always looked forward to the Tuesday or Thursday holidays because, with the bridges, they made extra long weekends. That was how I understood the term. The intervening day was what was bridged by the "puente". But maybe I misunderstood, or maybe it has changed in the intervening decades and people can no longer make the long four-day weekends and so just use "puente" for the three-day ones.

It strikes me as somewhat inappropriate to be carrying Holy Communion on the Camino.
I am not a Catholic, so I can't speak personally to the appropriateness of doing so. But when I was staying at Samblismo on my Camino Primitivo last summer there were four Italian pilgrims who were staying with us. Two were Catholic priests and two were lay pilgrims. The priests were conducting masses every evening on their Camino and that night conducted it in the albergue and invited all pilgrims to attend (as a non-Catholic, I did not partake of Communion, of course). When I arrived in Santiago I was very happy to see one of those priests on the dais at the Pilgrim Mass I attended.

I am ready to trust that priest on the appropriateness of carrying the necessaries to conduct Holy Communion on Camino and of doing so.

Interesting. When I was living in Spain (as a foreigner) some 35 years ago, I had a different understanding of a "puente". Not so much of holidays falling on Monday or Friday (which I saw as regular long weekends from my foreigner perspective, but when holidays fell on Tuesdays or Thursdays. These wouldn't be long weekends where I come from. But when I was living in Spain it seemed universal, if a holiday fell on a Tuesday to also take the Monday off, as a "puente" or bridge to the weekend. Similarly, if a holiday fell on a Thursday, no one would be at work on the Friday, everyone making a "puente" to the weekend. We always looked forward to the Tuesday or Thursday holidays because, with the bridges, they made extra long weekends. That was how I understood the term. The intervening day was what was bridged by the "puente". But maybe I misunderstood, or maybe it has changed in the intervening decades and people can no longer make the long four-day weekends and so just use "puente" for the three-day ones.
Yes people who can continue doing " puentes" in Spain. In December we have 6th (Constitución) and 8th (Inmaculada) where is possible to get a 5 days " puente". On my previous post I called " puente" to something that really is a long weekend ( Monday Holiday). A true " puente" needs workdays in the middle. I dit it to simplify my post but here there are people very informed about Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back