• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Completed El Camino in July/Aug, 2007

Deirdre

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2007), Camino Francés (2008), Camino Portugués (2010), Camino Aragonés - from Lourdes (2012)
Hello to all.
It is nice to find a site to read and share with so many pilgrims. In the US, there are few people who have ever heard of El Camino de Santiago and so it is difficult to even speak about one's experience. I have read many of the posts with interest; it brings back vivid memories to read about the CSJ albergue in Rabanal (the Monastery was closed to pilgrims the week I was there!), the endless vinyards of La Rioja, La fuente de Irachi (next time I'll plan on arriving there in the afternoon not at 7:30 am!) and one's first glimpse of the Catedral de Santiago de Compostela.

I am a high school teacher, 53 and have never backpacked so much as a step in my life! As I was told, "You do not find the Camino, it finds you..." I completed the Camino from Roncesvalles to Santiago de Compostela in 30 days from July 20 -Aug.18. I can sympathize with those who have trepidation and anxiety prior to undertaking this journey. However, please allow me to assure you, have no fear. The pilgrims you will meet, the friends you will make and the hospitality you will encounter all along the route will sustain you. It was one of the most profound experiences of my life; historically, culturally and personally. Buen Camino.
Deirdrè

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Deirdre,

"La fuente de Irachi (next time I'll plan on arriving there in the afternoon not at 7:30 am!) "

As far as I remember I passed there in early afternoon and fountain was almost dry!!!!!!!!
A few pilgrims were relaxing further up on the green area.
I recall thinking I wish it was later in the day, however I was lucky to journey on to a very pleasant and magical (?) evening in Villamayor.

Buen Camino,

Brian

Welcome Deirde,

I would love to know more - have you written about your journey anywhere else?
I am a 'virgin' walker. Earlier this year I had 'great enthusiam' which still runs through me BUT is overlaid with moments of "am I mad, when, why and how"?
I am even attempting to learn some Spanish and have joined a gym !! You mentioned that you had never backpacked before so I am wondering how the whole idea first found you. I first learnt of the Camino when one rainy day in Sydney "unbeknownst" I picked up a book - "The Year We Seized The Day" - which I thought would be a good read !!!!
http://www.theyearweseizedtheday.net/
lillypond.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Lilypond,

Thanks for the welcome. I haven't written on the web. I did write an article for our school magazine which will be published (and go out to all of our alumni and benefactors) next month. It truly found me - 4 years ago I was introduced to it and have not been able to get the idea out of my mind since. I kept running into people (randomly) who would mention it to me. I bought Millán Bravo Lozano's guildebook in Madrid 2 years ago but even when I got my "mochila" and hiking boots I don't think I really believed I could do it. And especially alone!

The pieces all fell together this summer - I was in Spain with 15 students; my son who normally would not be at home, was (to mind the house and animals) so when I sent the students back to the US, I took the train from Madrid to Pamplona and the bus on to Roncesvalles. I was warned ( and heeded the advice) that since I was not an experienced hiker, it was probably "tonteria" to begin in St Jean. The next time I will begin there but I am glad that I didn't on this occasion.

I have copious notes but have found it difficult to explain the "sentido" of the Camino to people who have not done it. It is so personal - everyone's Camino is unique, and every time one does the Camino it is unique - never like the one before or those to come after. It is, in fact, a microcosm of life. I have been so touched and completely changed by it - in ways that I cannot even put into words.

That is what is so nice about reading thre postings here. I can just imagine people smiling and nodding when they read about similar experiences... Most people here ask, "Was it fun?" Fun is not a word that even comes to mind when I think of those amazing 30 days. There were moments of great fun! But there were also moments of great joy, sadness, disappointment, exhaustion, satisfaction, pain, fear, relief, elation and an overwhelming sense of purpose and accomplishment.

I"m running on. Do the Camino. Don't hesitate, don't fear, don't worry. Que Santiago te bendiga.

Deirdre said:
from July 20 -Aug.18

Wow - I was on the Camino from July 14th to August 24th of 2007. I began in St. Jean, and as a non-hiker I was glad I had enough time to take rest days and walk short distances, especially during the initial weeks.

Deirdre said:
In the US, there are few people who have ever heard of El Camino de Santiago and so it is difficult to even speak about one's experience.

That's true - I only met 4 other Americans on the Way, and two of them were brothers. This board has been my only contact with pilgrims post-Camino (except for some Europeans I met and exchanged email addresses with). Almost none of my friends and family had heard of the pilgrimage, so it's hard for them to relate.

Deirdre said:
I have read many of the posts with interest; it brings back vivid memories to read about the CSJ albergue in Rabanal (the Monastery was closed to pilgrims the week I was there!),

Yes, that was a neat albergue. I also did a 2-night retreat in the Monastery, which was nice. A good time of reflection and recharging.

Anyway, glad to see another American here, especially one who was on the Camino the same time I was. Buen post-Camino :)

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.