• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compostela Question

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
We started in Viana do Castelo and we are doing the Litoral and the Espírito Variante. I sprained my ankle in Oia. I took taxis until Pontevedra while my husband continued walking. I started walking again in Pontevedra and doing the Spiritual now. My question is … I can get to 102 km is the boat km count. I am wondering if I still qualify for a Compostela. I appreciate your insights. Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We started in Viana do Castelo and we are doing the Litoral and the Espírito Variante. I sprained my ankle in Oia. I took taxis until Pontevedra while my husband continued walking. I started walking again in Pontevedra and doing the Spiritual now. My question is … I can get to 102 km is the boat km count. I am wondering if I still qualify for a Compostela. I appreciate your insights. Thank you.
Hi:
Look in the credential for the CP map. There you will find a note that says in order for the VE be valid, the pilgrimage must begin either in Vigo or Porriño.
Hope this helps,

Iván

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You walked from Viana to Oia what is roughly 50 kms and gathered 1 stamp a day at least .
For applying a Compostela you need to gather 2 stamps a day for the last 100 kms to Santiago.
As Jungleboy and Ivan Prada already mentioned , these 100 kms either start in Vigo what supposedly was on your Coastal route or from O Porriño on the Central route.
The stamps on the trail from Vigo to Pontevedra you’ll miss so the person at the desk of the Pilgrims Office will notice that by checking the stamps in your Credential.
But you can apply for a touristical certificate at the desk , a souvenir of your caminho.
This costs you a few euros .
And of course keep on collecting stamps. Your credential anyhow is a nice document to keep.
And the best with your ankle
Bom caminho

I sent you a private conversation reply.

Hope it helps,

Tom

The espiritual variant walking does not count. That is why that starting points of Tui and Vigo are just over 100km. But enjoy it anyway. It is very challenging especially with a injured ankle. But beautiful.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last year after walking the Camino Frances from St Jean Pied de Port, I was standing in line for my Compestelo and the lady in front of me asked me where I started…I told her and she said that her group started in Pamplona. I told her that was still a long walk…then she told me that she had been on a bus tour that told them where and how to get stamps and now they were getting their Compestelos. I realize that I had the amazing experience that could not have happened if I had been on a bus. However, while I am still proud of my Compestelo, it has less meaning. Bottom line, it is the experience, not the piece of paper, which has become devalued by the tourigrinos.

Bottom line, it is the experience, not the piece of paper, which has become devalued by the tourigrinos
I am not particularly bothered by what you call "tourigrinos". In my opinion what has devalued the Compostela more is that the pilgrim office no longer takes any real interest in the motivation of those who ask for one. They do not even ask if you have visited the tomb of the Apostle in the cathedral although that is precisely what the text of the Compostela testifies to. Unless the person named has done so then the Compostela is a false statement and why would you want your name printed on a lie?

Agreed. My husband got his Compostela. I went to the office with him and asked the office for a stamp but I did not want to receive something for which I did not qualify. Doing the Camino was the experience and the Compostela is just the icing on the cake. I have the memories of what I accomplished and I am grateful that I was able to resume my Camino after one week of rest. Buen Camino everyone …

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I am thinking of doing this route tomorrow but there is only very expensive accommodation available in A Armenteria. I know I can try the monastery but if they are full are there bus...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back