• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compression socks

JMLC

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués (2014) Francés (2017)
Do compression socks really work to eliminate or reduce feet swelling? I normally walk with my Injinji liners and woolen socks. Does it work to add the compression socks to these other two?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
three layers of socks!? :confused:
I have some knee high compression socks I wear running and even wore them on the Camino a few days. I love them, but I just wear them alone. I have never layered over them.
They worked great for me wearing on the flight over to Europe.

I wear the Injinji and the woolen together and love it. I have never worn the compression ones and was wondering how well (or not) they work. And if they work, I am wondering how to incorporate them into my routine.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used compression calf sleeves instead of socks as I don't like wearing two pairs of socks. I found that the compression helped a little but not dramatically. I don't think I'd take them again.

They are a great help with circulation. I always use them on airplanes as it tends to help with swelling. I wore mine on the flight to Spain and the return trip. If the socks are fairly new they will give more support, but if they are stretched you will need to replace them. I bought mine at Walmart for about $10.

Best use of compression socks I find is to wear after walking to reduce swelling.
As you are walking you have to use and train the veneous valves in your legs ..(http://www.jobst.com/mainnavigation/leg-health/veins-valves.html)
Somebody instructed me too use compressions shafts (ie socks without the foot) or full compression stocking only after my walking, and when resting, perambulating and never when sleeping.
soldiers on guard duty or in cold condition use "the Penguin when standing still; roll over on yoyr feet onto the front part, and lift heels - this enables better reflow back fron the lower part of the legs...
Guards soldiers tell of honour guards standing duty for hours risk fainting when not using this technique...

If I have stiff, hurting swolen feet and lower legs, I take an ½ hour break with compression shafts lying on the floor with feet a bit higher, wriggling feet and resting. Usually helps.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The most important benefit of well fitting compression stockings is in the prevention of deep vein thromboses (DVTs). DVTs can develop when blood pools in peripheral veins, as during a long flight. Upon resuming activity such as walking the clot may break loose and cause obstruction of an artery which can cause issues including death. In addition the gentle compression can reduce peripheral swelling due to pooling of blood and lymph in the lower extremities. This also can be protective of the veins and their valves in the lower legs by reducing the intravenous pressure which can result in dilitation of the veins and produce incompetence of the valves.
Compression stockings are made to provide varying degrees of compression pressure. As in many things in life "you gets what you pays for" and I'd be concerned about inexpensive compression stockings - mine usually run around $30 - $40 and seem to work well - at least I'm not dead yet!
I realize it's already to make a long story short but I have found what works well for me is to wear the compression stockings under my walk socks in the manner of a liner.
Buen (and safe and healthy) camino.

I took compression sleeves/shafts (no foot), used them a couple of times on major climbs, and won't take them again. I hike locally in the mountains and don't use them here either.

My podiatrist told me never to wear these at rest or on flights -- these sleeves that have no feet. He said that they can even promote DVT. The socks, I assume, are ok at rest/on flights.

@ john You are absolutely right about compression socks, taht thet must be of the right size. have meausures taken at yor Physiotherapist or like...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I use toe socks, then CEP compression socks. They saved my last trip. I had severe shin splints (a doctor actually diagnosed me with a stress fracture). They provided the C in RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation). After a couple of weeks of wearing them, I took them off for an easy, flat 18 km day and ended up having the painful bump return on my shin. The socks went back on and remained throughout the rest of the trip. Because I find the tight elastic behind my knee irritating, I'm trying out the mid-cut height CEP socks to see if they provide the same support. Of course, I'll be bringing a knee high pair along as well for just in case.

Thank you everyone for your replies! This was very good information.

The most important benefit of well fitting compression stockings is in the prevention of deep vein thromboses (DVTs). DVTs can develop when blood pools in peripheral veins, as during a long flight. Upon resuming activity such as walking the clot may break loose and cause obstruction of an artery which can cause issues including death. In addition the gentle compression can reduce peripheral swelling due to pooling of blood and lymph in the lower extremities. This also can be protective of the veins and their valves in the lower legs by reducing the intravenous pressure which can result in dilitation of the veins and produce incompetence of the valves.
Compression stockings are made to provide varying degrees of compression pressure. As in many things in life "you gets what you pays for" and I'd be concerned about inexpensive compression stockings - mine usually run around $30 - $40 and seem to work well - at least I'm not dead yet!
I realize it's already to make a long story short but I have found what works well for me is to wear the compression stockings under my walk socks in the manner of a liner.
Buen (and safe and healthy) camino.

Yes, I often wear compression stockings to prevent varicose veins during exercise. The most obvious feeling is that after the exercise, my leg discomfort recovered quickly.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wore a pair in hospital during recovery from hip surgery.
They had holes for the toes to poke thru, were very thin therefore suitable as under-socks, extremely strong and tight, just above the calf in length.
Usually getting feet swelling on the long flights from the south Pacific, I tried them and they worked like a charm. Unfortunately I lost them so was unable to test them for Camino walking.
As I've never seen them for sale I'll have to skulk around hospital corridors looking to nick a pair, or wait for my next hip replacement. That's a certainty.
Regards
Gerard

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.