• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Condom to SJPDP - logistics and tips for starting in Condom and ending in SJPDP

dandagenais

Time of past OR future Camino
Done: SSJDP to Santiago 811km, Nov./Dec. 2013
Plan: LePuy route July 1, 2018
Bonjour tout le monde!! I have done SJPDP-Santiago last year. Already planing to go back, but this time will have much less time. Probably 14 days. Coming from Canada, do have to plan transit time (probably 2 to 3 days). So have determined that by best plan is to do Condom to SJPDP. Thinking I want to do something in France, and think I'd rather finish in SJPDP than somewhere else in France (For example if I'd start in LePuy). I just think that the spirit of the Camino is very present in SJPDP - but maybe I'm wrong?? If so, please suggest...

Also, if the Condom idea stands to start, any suggestions or hints/tips, etc....

Thanks!!
Daniel

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That section is 12 twenty-kilometer days. You may be able to speed it up a bit. It is a very pleasant walk; have fun!

That section is 12 twenty-kilometer days. You may be able to speed it up a bit. It is a very pleasant walk; have fun!

Thanks so much!! I walked an average of 31km doing the Camino Frances, so I was thinking of about 25km a day more or less, so that would probably make it a 10 day or so walk, based on your evaluation. Reasonable. So it is worth doing that portion your think? End April, do yoou think many will be on the route?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
End April
There are a lot of holidays in May, so that month is busy. Regardless, plan on calling ahead each day even in April, or every two days, to make reservations. If you will not be using a reservations, please call to cancel it. It really irritates the French when pilgrims don't!!

There are a lot of holidays in May, so that month is busy. Regardless, plan on calling ahead each day even in April, or every two days, to make reservations. If you will not be using a reservations, please call to cancel it. It really irritates the French when pilgrims don't!!
Thanks Falcon! Will absolutely be very deligent with cancellation if applicable. I agree completely with this anyway.

My only tip for you is that I noticed you are from Quebec and I just got a notification of an airfare sale from Air Transat. From Montreal they fly direct to/from Toulouse (closest to your hike's start) and Bordeaux (closest to SJPP). Also to Lyon and Paris. If you are closer to Quebec City, they also fly direct to Paris, I believe. (I am not employed by Air Transat, but I recommend them on this board because of their lower fares, direct flights, and multi-city booking options.)

Bon chemin!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In terms of terrain and monuments I think you've chosen the less interesting part of the Le Puy-to-the Pyrenees route. Not a bad choice, of course, but I'd suggest that the short time you'll spend in SJPP could easily be sacrificed for the superior hiking on the earlier part of the Le Puy route.

My only tip for you is that I noticed you are from Quebec and I just got a notification of an airfare sale from Air Transat. From Montreal they fly direct to/from Toulouse (closest to your hike's start) and Bordeaux (closest to SJPP). Also to Lyon and Paris. If you are closer to Quebec City, they also fly direct to Paris, I believe. (I am not employed by Air Transat, but I recommend them on this board because of their lower fares, direct flights, and multi-city booking options.)

Bon chemin!
Oh!! Thanks! I am near Ottawa and usually leave from here, but a direct flight would be much nicer!! Montreal is just 2 hours from here, so could take the train there. I'll check it out. I appreciate the note.

In terms of terrain and monuments I think you've chosen the less interesting part of the Le Puy-to-the Pyrenees route. Not a bad choice, of course, but I'd suggest that the short time you'll spend in SJPP could easily be sacrificed for the superior hiking on the earlier part of the Le Puy route.
OK, that's what I want to hear. Thanks!!! I'll check where I could start... any recommendation? I'd like to end in a city where there's something at least a bit special about the Camino....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Rocamadour comes to my mind! Buen Camino! SY
The section from Le Puy en Velay to Conques is a brilliant 10 day walk in superb mountains and countryside. The Aubrac is stunning. April/ early May might be too early as there may be snow about still. Figeac to Moissac through the Lot and Cele valleys is also beautiful but only 6 days. I did both in last two years and am heading back in June 2015 to walk from Moissac to Roncevalles. Ruaidhri in Dublin. Bon Chemin!

The section from Le Puy en Velay to Conques is a brilliant 10 day walk in superb mountains and countryside. The Aubrac is stunning. April/ early May might be too early as there may be snow about still. Figeac to Moissac through the Lot and Cele valleys is also beautiful but only 6 days. I did both in last two years and am heading back in June 2015 to walk from Moissac to Roncevalles. Ruaidhri in Dublin. Bon Chemin!

Where actually is 'The Aubrac'? Between what villagers and how many days walk across it?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
LePuy to Conques is the finest piece of pilgrimage trail I have seen. The French seem to agree, and many regard that section as something you should not miss.

Roughly from Aumont-Aubrac to St. Chely d'Aubrac, around 54km.
Buen Camino, SY
Yes, it starts just after a crossroads called Les quatres chemins about 10 kms beyond Aumont-Aubrac.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Roughly from Aumont-Aubrac to St. Chely d'Aubrac, around 54km.
Buen Camino, SY

Thanks for that SYates. We are starting our walk from Le Puy in April, if it is a late winter and there is snow on the Aubrac is it possible to get a taxi or bus around this area?

@marbuck if you have Miam Miam Dodo you will find local taxi numbers to call all the way along the route. A more economical alternative is to use the baggage transport service as a taxi. I'm just not sure if they will have started running by then, or if they start a bit later in the season (again, information is in Miam Miam Dodo but my copy is 4 years old so better look at the current edition). There are buses locally but I find it difficult to check those out online - each Departement seems to run buses only within the area. We usually get that information from the local tourist office. Sometimes the school buses also take ordinary passengers. Not sure I've been very helpful here; hopefully other forum members give more specific information.

Thanks for that SYates. We are starting our walk from Le Puy in April, if it is a late winter and there is snow on the Aubrac is it possible to get a taxi or bus around this area?

What @Kanga said plus Easter is beginning of April this year. As Easter is kind of the beginning of the pilgrim season pilgrim specific infrastructure should be up and running by then. Buen Camino! SY

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I think your gite hosts might be your best resource here: they know the road and weather conditions, they know the detailed schedule of the transport services, and they will call ahead to confirm with the next night's gite. If conditions are unsatisfactory, they can recommend locally appropriate alternatives. And don't forget that your fellow pilgrims, those French-speakers, are another resource.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.