• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Confessions in English?

Peter Robins wrote:
'so, yes, it does seem you can get a plenary indulgence on those 3 dates, a partial one on other dates, and a plenary one if you die en route.

Perhaps it only applies to Spanish-speakers?? '

I wrote this facetiously, but now I'm wondering whether in fact outside holy years the cathedral has clergy who can hear confessions in languages other than Spanish/Galician? I know they draft in outsiders for holy years, but in normal years? Anyone any experience?

Peter, you will forgive me for displacing your comments, but that thread had become too lengthy and cumbersome. Plus, your question deserves an entirely new home...where we can curtsy and snap with our many handy Latin maxims :)

My experience has been that most popular pilgrim sites have at least one priest who understands English (except the Holy Land, where in two whole weeks I could not find ANYONE to hear my confession :shock: )

Besides Greek, Latin, and Hebrew studies, all priests in the seminary learn Italian...so that comes in handy. Most priests I know also speak another language besides Italian, usually French, Spanish or German. I remember the most complex confession I ever made was in Notre Dame, to a young Polish priest who spoke about as much english as I did polish. We tried to speak in italian, but his italian was mostly polish and mine mostly english, and when we'd get desperate we'd recourse to Latin! :?

My understanding is that if there is no other priest who speaks your language and that is available for confession, you can confess to any priest (in your own tongue) and he can absolve you even if he doesnt understand (the main point being honesty before God). So you could confess anyway.

:?: any takers?

ps. If I walk to Santiago 3 times, does that amount to a plenary indulgence? :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,
There is nothing in the incridion that states that the confession must be made at the specific site. In fact, the confession may be made before or after. When I was in the Cathedral in Santiago in October, there was one confessional box that had a hand lettered sign "English" hanging on the half door on the front where the priest sits. When he left, he took the sign down. The docents in the cathedral are very pleasant and helpful, they can help you. I arrived on the feast of N.S. de Pilar and there were about 30 priests from all over the world concelebrating mass, I sure on any major feast of the cathedral there would be priests that speak your language. We were approached by people who had arrived by tour bus who were interested to hear of our experiences walking the Camino. Ultreya, John

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.