• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Confused about getting stamped?

RussGianni

Time of past OR future Camino
April2024
Hello All! I’m doing my walk starting in Tui. I have heard that you need two stamps per day? Do they need to be in each place you spend the night? And how do you get stamped on your first day? For instance, I will be arriving in Tui late in the day, then spending an additional night there before I begin my walk. Can someone explain the process of getting stamped each day?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You will usually get a stamp at the place where you stay. If it's a hotel, you can just ask the receptionist. Albergues will usually ask to see your credential and stamp it without being asked.

If you don't walk anywhere, you don't need 2 stamps for that day.

At some point you will want to stop for coffee or other refreshment. You can ask at a cafe, bar or restaurant for the second stamp. Every business has a stamp.

Usually your albergue or hotel will stamp your credencial. Most Spanish businesses will have a sello so you can almost certainly get a second (or third or fourth if you wish) whenever you stop to eat or drink.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Russ, you need two stamps per day for the last 100km if you want to collect a Compostela. Yes, you can get one from your accommodation - just present your pilgrim’s passport(credencial). The other can be any bar, café, restaurant, church, etc.

Many collect more than 2 - that’s just the minimum . Enjoy!

Last edited:
Hello All! I’m doing my walk starting in Tui. I have heard that you need two stamps per day? Do they need to be in each place you spend the night? And how do you get stamped on your first day? For instance, I will be arriving in Tui late in the day, then spending an additional night there before I begin my walk. Can someone explain the process of getting stamped each day?
If you're doing a shorter Camino, best practice is get one stamp along the Way, during the day, coffee or beer or other beverage break being a common choice, then the other where you'll be sleeping.

This is far more important when walking 100K to 200K or so, than if you have started from much further away ; though everyone needs to get those 2 stamps regardless, if they want their Compostela that is.

The *one* exception is last day into Santiago, as the stamp from the Pilgrims Office counts as one of your two stamps on that day, so that you just need one stamp before getting in on that last day ; though on a shorter Camino, given that mistakes by volunteers in the Office are not unheard of, I'd say get two stamps anyway.

You can get them anywhere -- from your Albergue, a bar, a restaurant, a shop, a tourist office, a church (best choice), a police station, and really just anywhere along the Way with a stamp to provide.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In addition to where you sleep and stop for a drink, snack, or meal, you can also often get stamps at churches. Within the last 100km (which is where the requirement kicks in) they are quite ubiquitous. Heck, you are even likely to see people setting up tables by the side of the Camino with snacks, beverages, souvenirs and a stamp.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back