• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Contemplating walking the camino mid Sept 23 - Norte or Frances?

Noa_Ag

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles
Hi all, I realize since I'm posting this thread on the del Norte thread I might receive some biased comments, but here goes -
I feel the camino calling again, and am trying to decide which route to choose. I've previously walked the Ingles in 2017 and Primitivo last fall (2022), the latter being the most amazing experience ever.
This time, I would like to walk a little longer, but still probably wouldn't be able to manage much more than 3 weeks off work mid Sept to the beginning of Oct.
So basically my question is: Would it be nicer to walk mid-sept-oct from Irun to wherever I can manage on the Norte, or from SJPDP onwards on the Frances?
I'm not fussed about getting to SdC this time, since I've already made the journey twice and expect I'll do it again when I have more time. I did highly enjoy the scenery of the Primitivo and the intimacy of seeing the same people at the end of each day.
On the one hand, I've had the Camino bug for quite a while and have yet to walk the Frances, mostly due to time limitations but also worried about it being too busy and commercialized. I'm more of a quiet type, and do like walking alone sometimes, but also enjoyed having a Camino family so much the last time. Since I'm thinking about mid-September, I'm thinking the Frances might be extremely crowded and that the bed-race will be on.
A side note: a group of Camino friends is considering walking the Frances from March 1st, but I wouldn't be able to join until March 11th, which would mean joining somewhere after Burgos. So I had a thought of maybe walking the first part of the Frances this fall and then joining them when I can for the next part.

This has been a bit of an incoherent post, but if by any chance anyone who has walked the first three weeks of both routes can share from their experience, I'd be highly grateful!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a similar background and just walked the Salvador/ Primitivo last year. This year I have a time constraint and have decided to walk Santander to SdC. About 3 weeks. I don’t have much advice on which is nicer. My own preference is to complete my journey on the Norte having gone Irun to Santander previously.

What I would advise is not to fret too much on deciding your trail well in advance. Your possible starting points are close to each other and you could choose at the last possible moment. Perhaps save the CF for when you have more time and make a start on the Norte this year.

Buen Camino

Would it be nicer to walk mid-sept-oct from Irun to wherever I can manage on the Norte,
I think so.
I'm more of a quiet type, and do like walking alone sometimes, but also enjoyed having a Camino family so much the last time.
It’s a little less congested on Norte but a camino family is still possible.
Perhaps save the CF for when you have more time and make a start on the Norte this year.
I think your own inner voice has chosen.
The Norte on this occasion should set you up nicely … it has beauty , companionship but shouldn’t be as busy as the CF.
I like the idea of leaving the final decision until later.. start points for both are not far apart.

Buen camino - whichever you choose.
Annie.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all, I realize since I'm posting this thread on the del Norte thread I might receive some biased comments, but here goes
. . . . . .
This has been a bit of an incoherent post, but if by any chance anyone who has walked the first three weeks of both routes can share from their experience, I'd be highly grateful!
Definitely biased, but I loved my low-key Camino family and the amazing walking views of oceans every single day.

Water views almost daily . . . Exquisite

Hi all, I realize since I'm posting this thread on the del Norte thread I might receive some biased comments, but here goes -
I feel the camino calling again, and am trying to decide which route to choose. I've previously walked the Ingles in 2017 and Primitivo last fall (2022), the latter being the most amazing experience ever.
This time, I would like to walk a little longer, but still probably wouldn't be able to manage much more than 3 weeks off work mid Sept to the beginning of Oct.
So basically my question is: Would it be nicer to walk mid-sept-oct from Irun to wherever I can manage on the Norte, or from SJPDP onwards on the Frances?
I'm not fussed about getting to SdC this time, since I've already made the journey twice and expect I'll do it again when I have more time. I did highly enjoy the scenery of the Primitivo and the intimacy of seeing the same people at the end of each day.
On the one hand, I've had the Camino bug for quite a while and have yet to walk the Frances, mostly due to time limitations but also worried about it being too busy and commercialized. I'm more of a quiet type, and do like walking alone sometimes, but also enjoyed having a Camino family so much the last time. Since I'm thinking about mid-September, I'm thinking the Frances might be extremely crowded and that the bed-race will be on.
A side note: a group of Camino friends is considering walking the Frances from March 1st, but I wouldn't be able to join until March 11th, which would mean joining somewhere after Burgos. So I had a thought of maybe walking the first part of the Frances this fall and then joining them when I can for the next part.

I walked the Frances last summer and am doing the del norte to the Primitivo now. I d save do the French Way. I did 1/2 of the del norte from Llanes to Santiago ( then walked to Finisterre and Muxia) in 2019 and feel like the beginning of the French way is better… so the del norte when you can do the whole thing… the beginning is a mixture of awesome beach views yet also a lot of highways…

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am considering the Norte mid September myself, because I am hoping that it may be significantly cooler than the Frances … am I dreaming … and would any temperature difference (if there is one) play into your decision making?

Start in SJPD and see how far you get... while there have been a lot of people on the French Way my clients this year said that there were only moments of congestion and then, as I always find, miraculously no matter how many people are there you find yourself in total solitude and wonder where everyone went! You can return and do the rest another time. The spiritual and historical significance of the French Way from my view is not something I have not found on the other paths I have done. Buen Camino...

I think you answered your own question. Since you haven't done the Camino Frances in full and you can't get a chunk of time to do it all... Maybe you should do half now and half in March! Buen camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.