• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances or North?

JennyG

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023 Frances
Hi I’m very new here, just booked my flight and plan to walk in first week of September. Originally I was planning to walk Camino France, but it seems there might be too many people and hard to get accommodations on the way. Shall I change to walk Camino North? Is it easier to get accommodations? Please advise! Thank you 😊

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I feel like Frances is VERY well supported. North likely has more spectacular scenery. I never, not one single time in July, found the Frances to be TOO crowded...maybe from sarria on, but it still wasn't bad

It depends a little bit on where you plan to start. Are you planning to walk to Santiago or a stretch closer to the start of either route?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It depends a little bit on where you plan to start. Are you planning to walk to Santiago or a stretch closer to the start of either route?
I planned 40 days, to start from either st. Jean for the Frances route, or irun for the north route.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Jenny
TBH I don't think that just putting your question out to the forum is going to help you much. There are a lot of variables, preferences and considerations involved. These two caminos aren't like roads, where you might switch from one to the other to avoid a traffic jam - they have very different characters, and the challenges are somewhat different too.
The question of first time Norte or Frances comes up several times a year, year after year on the forum, so I recommend you spend some time going back through the Norte sub-forum and also use the forum search function. Dig into stage distances, accommodation types and availability, season, spiritual cultural and historical elements (there's much less on the Norte) etc etc. Apply your own preference and capabilities and then come and ask us some questions based on what you've learnt.
I don't mean this to sound harsh, just trying to get you to some useful information from which you can make an informed decision.

Hi I’m very new here, just booked my flight and plan to walk in first week of September. Originally I was planning to walk Camino France, but it seems there might be too many people and hard to get accommodations on the way. Shall I change to walk Camino North? Is it easier to get accommodations? Please advise! Thank you 😊
Jenny. I don’t think you need to second guess your original plan to start on the Frances. At least not yet. You must have chosen it for a reason or more than one.

If you find it too difficult with accommodation you can always switch to the Norte, though there’s no guarantee it will be easier. There are various points on the Frances where you can take a bus to Irun or San Sebastian or Bilbao, for example. With 40 days you likely have some time up your sleeve to be flexible.

As to accommodation concerns in September leaving from SJPP you’ll find many suggestions on the forum for booking as far as Pamplona after which ‘crowds’ tend to dissipate. That might give you comfort for those first days.

You’ll also see many posts about accommodation on booking sites being hard to find at certain times, while calling properties directly can be more successful. Not to mention non reservable Albergues that some people report having plenty of spare beds even amid a big ‘wave’ of pilgrims.

I don’t in any way dismiss the reports of ‘busyness’ that are concerning you. But I think the Frances offers more accommodation and flexibility with stages too, eg stopping a few kms short of where you may have anticipated or walking a few kms further.

In your shoes I’d stick with your original plan, be ready to adapt IF needed inc switching to the Norte. But I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t come to that.

Whatever you decide, all the best. 😎

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Shall I change to walk Camino North?
What Tom has written is important. Also I believe most of us overthink everything before our first camino. Is a specific route calling you? If not do some research as peregrino_tom advises. You still have time. Maybe the route to take will speak to you if it already hasn't. Get out of your head and into your body. That is where the answers are.
ig into stage distances, accommodation types and availability, season, spiritual cultural and historical elements (there's much less on the Norte) etc etc. Apply your own preference and capabilities and then come and ask us some questions based on what you've learnt.
Excellent point Tom. I didn't have this dilemma when I walked the Norte as I had already done the CF twice. For me the main differences were that the Norte was a more difficult walk. Secondly you are right there are far less spiritual etc type elements on the Norte. But in my mind it is more beautiful (different beauty of course) then the CF. When I walked in 2018 I started in late September, much cooler and never had a worry about tourists or finding an albergue bed. I also found the pilgrims I met were overall younger, but not the partying type of young pilgrim you can find on the CF, and much more independent. There were people that walked the same stages but they were not "families". It was very much like when I walked my first camino. Someone mentioned that the Norte is more expensive than the CF. It reminded me that things change alot in 6 years so maybe my advice is moot now when it comes to the type of people you meet and crowds and beds. Also when any of us walk it is just a miniscule slice of time. Everything I experienced may have been different just leaving a week or two before or after when I walked. Maybe even just a day or two.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I ve done both … all in my 60 s. If you are used to mountains, either is good… norte has more up and down continuously. French Way, the big elevation change is day 1. Depends on how fit you are…. You can do anything you decide you can do…. If you stay healthy in body/ heart.

Jenny. I don’t think you need to second guess your original plan to start on the Frances. At least not yet. You must have chosen it for a reason or more than one.

If you find it too difficult with accommodation you can always switch to the Norte, though there’s no guarantee it will be easier. There are various points on the Frances where you can take a bus to Irun or San Sebastian or Bilbao, for example. With 40 days you likely have some time up your sleeve to be flexible.

As to accommodation concerns in September leaving from SJPP you’ll find many suggestions on the forum for booking as far as Pamplona after which ‘crowds’ tend to dissipate. That might give you comfort for those first days.

You’ll also see many posts about accommodation on booking sites being hard to find at certain times, while calling properties directly can be more successful. Not to mention non reservable Albergues that some people report having plenty of spare beds even amid a big ‘wave’ of pilgrims.

I don’t in any way dismiss the reports of ‘busyness’ that are concerning you. But I think the Frances offers more accommodation and flexibility with stages too, eg stopping a few kms short of where you may have anticipated or walking a few kms further.

In your shoes I’d stick with your original plan, be ready to adapt IF needed inc switching to the Norte. But I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t come to that.

Whatever you decide, all the best. 😎
I would suggest booking in advance to avoid disappointment.
Also transporting your bag is useful if you have pre booked.Makes life easier!

I really like the Norte too, and have walked it twice, but I don't know how much I would have liked it for a first Camino, since I had never done any long distance hiking or backpacking in my life before I walked the Camino Francés.

This year I started in the Norte and finished on the Primitivo. And you know what? There were days when I missed the easiness and conviviality of the Francés. I really like setting out in the morning and knowing that I'll be able to stop after about 5 to 8 km for breakfast, instead of walking 15 or more km before finding an open bar. Or that I don't have to choose between a short 15km day or a 32 km day, since there are so many intermediate towns to stop in. The Norte, Primitivo, and other less traveled Caninos require a bit more planning than the Francés.

Forget about being cool, and choose the Camino based on your needs and abilities.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
but not the partying type of young pilgrim you can find on the CF, and much more independent.
= cooler. More forever friends met on the Norte than any other route. But still, I have forever friends from the CF too. I'll prolly find myself in SJPdP again in October after my Sept trip along the coast. November is still up in the air.

I feel like Frances is VERY well supported. North likely has more spectacular scenery. I never, not one single time in July, found the Frances to be TOO crowded...maybe from sarria on, but it still wasn't bad
Frances is spectacular nevertheless I prefer the North for the scenery. Last year I did the North from Bilbao, this year did it from Llanes to the end. God willing will do it again from Llanes. I just love the North.

Wow, so many pilgrims replied to me, I already love this community before my trip starts! With more reading, I realize if I don’t find place, I have the option to bus back( like Orrison to St Jean) and resume next day. So I will choose CF for the first time, I’m sure I will come back again to walk the other routes. Thank you all so much for the advice, I will now start the reservations for the first several days.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back