• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Copo de agua

GlennJ

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned Camino: Portuguese (April-May 2024)
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house.

Since arriving in Portugal a few days ago, I had no issues with such a request at eating places.

However, today, i was in a restaurant in Matosinhos and (after some struggling with communication and using Google translate) the proprietor told me she was prohibited by law to serve tap water (the waiter had initially brought bottled water in plastic). She however said she’ll make an exception.

So what really is the position on ‘copo de agua’ requests at restaurants? Can anyone help me understand this? I’m on a budget on my Camino and every Euro counts for me throughout this Camino, given the exchange rate from my home currency.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In Spain tap water must be available when requested by law and cannot be charged for.
In Portugal, no such law exists but i think it would be uncommon to refuse someone a glass of water, unless it was untreated or unsafe to drink.
I think you need to learn to ask for tap water rather than just a glass of water. Google translate will help.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house.

Since arriving in Portugal a few days ago, I had no issues with such a request at eating places.

However, today, i was in a restaurant in Matosinhos and (after some struggling with communication and using Google translate) the proprietor told me she was prohibited by law to serve tap water (the waiter had initially brought bottled water in plastic). She however said she’ll make an exception.

So what really is the position on ‘copo de agua’ requests at restaurants? Can anyone help me understand this? I’m on a budget on my Camino and every Euro counts for me throughout this Camino, given the exchange rate from my home currency.
Hi, I live in Lisbon, so I might help clarify the issue :)

Some years ago the restaurants/bars were in a crisis and become annoyed with people asking for tap water with ice cubes and not consuming anything else, so they started denying it.
As of 2021 there is a law that says that restaurants/bars/cafés have to provide free glasses of tap water to clients. However, if you are not a client, then it is a choice of the establishment to give the free glass of water or not. For non clients there is no law prohibiting it, but there is no law enforcing it either.
Most establishments will give the free glass of water unless they are very busy or are located in a area with many tourists (which can be the case of some places in the Senda Litoral during summer months). Many bars/cafés will even have glasses and a water jar for people to serve themselves. Choose bars/cafés over restaurants ;)

And btw, you are saying it correctly. A "copo de água" usually refers to a glass of water, not a bottle. If you want to reinforce the idea just say "copo de água da torneira" :)

Bueno Camino!

Hi, I live in Lisbon, so I might help clarify the issue :)

Some years ago the restaurants/bars were in a crisis and become annoyed with people asking for tap water with ice cubes and not consuming anything else, so they started denying it.
As of 2021 there is a law that says that restaurants/bars/cafés have to provide free glasses of tap water to clients. However, if you are not a client, then it is a choice of the establishment to give the free glass of water or not. For non clients there is no law prohibiting it, but there is no law enforcing it either.
Most establishments will give the free glass of water unless they are very busy or are located in a area with many tourists (which can be the case of some places in the Senda Litoral during summer months). Many bars/cafés will even have glasses and a water jar for people to serve themselves. Choose bars/cafés over restaurants ;)

And btw, you are saying it correctly. A "copo de água" usually refers to a glass of water, not a bottle. If you want to reinforce the idea just say "copo de água da torneira" :)

Bueno Camino!
Thanks for this and as a reminder, especially to new pilgrims. If you go to a bar and ask for water or to use the bathroom, buy something!

Copo is a flake; copa is a glass. I don't think that was the source of any confusion or resistance, but couldn't hurt to ask for what you are trying to get! ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Copo is a flake; copa is a glass. I don't think that was the source of any confusion or resistance, but couldn't hurt to ask for what you are trying to get! ;)
Not in Portuguese :D
In portuguese "copo" is glass and "copa" can be either the top of the tree or a football championship

Most read last week in this forum

Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back