• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Covid19 safety on the primitivo

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rain

Time of past OR future Camino
Del norte, french, Portuguese, via dela plata. Sanabrese, Murcia and finestere
I am due to travel to Bilbao next friday to mainly walk the start of the del norte until Bilbao when I started it 3 previously. Before heading off to the primitivo.

In preparation for covid19 I had bought a small tent to use if albergues are full or dont seem safe enough. I am also not too keen on walking long stretches without any other pilgrim in site, like i did mainly last summer on the via dela plata.

Where sometimes I spent days alone. So I would like to spend a balanced amount of time alone and also with other pilgrims for safety. So watching Ivar's video today was slightly assuring but also sad because Santiago looked desolate.

So ten days to my departure I am still undecided if I should make the trip and I am a devastated and have been tearful since hearing the UK government's decision on travelling to Spain on Saturday.

I dont know what to do. my none pilgrims friends and family think I am selfish for wanting to travel and they dont understand why I am besides myself or the pull to the camino. They feel that I am putting myself and others at risk. I am so torn. I cant literally decide, because I would never want to intentionally harm anyone.

To me each year going to the Camino is like coming home. I am really devastated that I might not come home this summer. As it seems that the UK government's position keeps changing every couple of hours.

I cant gauge how prevalent it is, or if it is worse than here in the UK. I would greatly appreciate any advice or words of comfort or wisdom from fellow pilgrims.

Rain

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don’t think anyone can give you any ’right’ answers. The situation is too unclear and, as you say, it is changing rapidly all the time. Do what you feel is right for you and be prepared for any consequences which may follow.

Buen Camino.

. They feel that I am putting myself and others at risk. I am so torn. I cant literally decide, because I would never want to intentionally harm anyone.

This is why I have chosen not to walk this summer. I came to the conclusion it would be dangerous for me, others around me, older people in places I would pass through and also the people back home afterwards. The Spanish government appears to say walking the Camino is fine, but I don't know how I'd feel if I was responsible for someone else getting Covid-19 and maybe even dying from it (though I guess I wouldn't know).
Not a pleasant decision, but it is right for me.
There'll always be next year.
You just have to consider what feels right for you, after weighing everything up.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have been finding this a very difficult decision too - my partner and I are due to start walking next Saturday. At the moment, we are keeping an eye on the situation, and will mostly be guided by the Spanish government's attitude. The UK govt has a habit of treating the entire country en bloc, and this isn't realy how it works within Spain. There is also an awful lot of missing information from a UK infection-perspective, and the numbers being used are not entirely comparable figures, so any sense of scale is very difficult to gague reliably.

I was relieved to see so many people wearing masks in Santiago in Ivar's video, and reassured by the words of the Spanish prime minister about the localisation of outbreaks, and the relative confinement of these outbreaks to major cities, and Catalonia in particular. No doubt areas like Catalonia are facing dangerous spikes, and we cannot be blase about these, but because each autonomous region of Spain can go into lockdown itself, I am working on the principle that if a region I am in locks down then we will either quarantine there, or get out before the deadline - i.e, having flexibility on the road to comply fully with the Spanish and regional guidance.

From a safety perspective, I will be wearing my mask whenever I am in close contact with anyone, whether that is on the street outside, in a cafe, or in an albergue. If it turns out that other pilgrims or residents are not acting sensibly or cautiously, or if at any point we feel we could be contributing to the problem, we will end our camino early. The other alternative we have been considering is to walk the Le Puy route in France this year.

It is a difficult choice. I am in the fortunate position of being able to work on short notice changes, both from the UK side and from the Spanish side. I do not think that my position is the 'correct' one, but it is the one that I have come to feel most comfortable with. For each person, it will be different. x

I am due to travel to Bilbao next friday to mainly walk the start of the del norte until Bilbao when I started it 3 previously. Before heading off to the primitivo.

In preparation for covid19 I had bought a small tent to use if albergues are full or dont seem safe enough. I am also not too keen on walking long stretches without any other pilgrim in site, like i did mainly last summer on the via dela plata.

Where sometimes I spent days alone. So I would like to spend a balanced amount of time alone and also with other pilgrims for safety. So watching Ivar's video today was slightly assuring but also sad because Santiago looked desolate.

So ten days to my departure I am still undecided if I should make the trip and I am a devastated and have been tearful since hearing the UK government's decision on travelling to Spain on Saturday.

I dont know what to do. my none pilgrims friends and family think I am selfish for wanting to travel and they dont understand why I am besides myself or the pull to the camino. They feel that I am putting myself and others at risk. I am so torn. I cant literally decide, because I would never want to intentionally harm anyone.

To me each year going to the Camino is like coming home. I am really devastated that I might not come home this summer. As it seems that the UK government's position keeps changing every couple of hours.

I cant gauge how prevalent it is, or if it is worse than here in the UK. I would greatly appreciate any advice or words of comfort or wisdom from fellow pilgrims.

Rain
So sorry for the dilemma you are in.Please believe you are not on your own,either with the upset at the position of the government (which is sudden and unexpected),or with the reaction of friends and family.Many of us are in the same position.I keep checking the forum for all news.I am due back on Camino in September for my 7th time,and at 73 for what could be my last visit to the magic that is the Camino.I too have been called selfish,crazy and a danger to myself and others so I avoid the topic,and pray daily that things will change even if it seems unlikely at the moment.I hope you can go at some point and send you all best wishes.God Bless.

It's a horrible dilemma although it may be one that ends up being taken out of your hands. I would say there are two things to consider - 1. the practical aspect (will your travel insurance cover you if you get stuck, is your flight likely to be cancelled/changed, have you the financial capacity to change your plans dramatically half way through, eg buying new flights home, staying in hotels if internal travel restrictions are put up, getting stuck in Spain longer than planned...) and 2. the health aspect (what is the risk of you having covid-19 already, spreading it or catching it while here).

On the health aspect there are of course lots of unknowns although it does seem that a lot of the new outbreaks come from large group gatherings (birthday celebrations, night life, as well as workers in cramped living conditions). In Madrid they announced today that masks will be compulsory from Thursday outside even if you can maintain distance, although to be honest almost everyone is wearing them all the time anyway and have been for some time. Personally I don't think it's selfish to want to come as long as you take all the precautions and follow all the advice.

I'm hoping to start my first camino this weekend, but I live in Madrid so at least if my plan goes awry, it will probably be easier for me to cancel halfway through. I have also pre-booked all my accommodation (although even that is not risk free- I had booking.com cancel one of my rooms more than two weeks after booking!). I also took a covid test recently so that I would at least not be unknowingly spreading the virus through small villages (negative - no covid nor antibodies, and never had any symptoms) although of course that gives no lasting guarantee.

In the end though it may be that government action from either the UK or Spain to try to contain the health aspect might make the practical aspects rather difficult for you. Given the speed with which things are changing it might be wisest to cut your losses....

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Rain
I understand your feelings and upset. I do not consider you to be selfish for wanting to travel. For me, I made my decision back in March to abandon all my Camino plans for 2020. I did this for my own safety, for my family and for the reason that I did not want to potentially bring this virus to any other community.

Making the decision back then relieved me of all the worry and stress. I am sure that too many of my family and friends would be very concerned right now had I persisted in my travel plans. This is not just about me. The situation with Covid-19 is just too volatile and unpredictable in my humble opinion and there are potentially very many consequences if one acquires this virus or spreads it. This is a time for community solidarity and I am happy to comply with the best medical and scientific advice available for the foreseeable future. Finally, we who have experienced the Camino have been truly blessed. We who have experienced Camino several times have so much to be grateful for. Chose wisely and Buen Camino.

JabbaPapa has posted at 3.06pm today on the covid 19 thread pg 7 news relating to Galicia apparently closing it's borders to anyone entering the area from the Basque area and other provinces basically Eastern Spain so maybe this needs checking out before anyone makes the decision to walk the Primitivo, Norte etc. There are links on the post so you can get the info direct from the horses mouth.
Don

Finally, we who have experienced the Camino have been truly blessed. We who have experienced Camino several times have so much to be grateful for.
I am very sympathetic to all the many heartfelt replies on this new thread started today. I feel and relate to most everything being said. It is a huge loss for so many of us who have a great passion for walking the caminos. Who even knows if "2021" will be the magic bullet we hope for...it remains to be seen.
I do not want to lose sight of what @James P has said above...I need to realize I am blessed and need be grateful for the many memories I am able to cherish.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is not just about me. The situation with Covid-19 is just too volatile and unpredictable in my humble opinion and there are potentially very many consequences if one acquires this virus or spreads it. This is a time for community solidarity and I am happy to comply with the best medical and scientific advice available for the foreseeable future. Finally, we who have experienced the Camino have been truly blessed. We who have experienced Camino several times have so much to be grateful for. Chose wisely and Buen Camino.
I completely agree with you.

JabbaPapa has posted at 3.06pm today on the covid 19 thread pg 7 news relating to Galicia apparently closing it's borders to anyone entering the area from the Basque area and other provinces basically Eastern Spain

Here's a link to that post

Rain
I totally understand how much you want to walk. This is only my opinion but one based in observation and in following and trying to respect the science of this horrendous pandemic. I am sure you have a genuine concern about not harming yourself and others. The economic hardships that people around the world are experiencing is profound. More specifically the hardship of those who depend on Caminos for their livelihoods. I know they must be desperate to see things open again. The problem is every day we see areas of countries around the world who were deliberate and thoughtful and followed the best science keep the virus under control in lockdown only to see the virus starting to return with a vengeance when they have opened again. I have sadly come to the conclusion that until there is an effective vaccine we should all just wait. I am sure lots of people disagree but I don’t see another way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I understand your feelings and upset. I do not consider you to be selfish for wanting to travel. For me, I made my decision back in March to abandon all my Camino plans for 2020. I did this for my own safety, for my family and for the reason that I did not want to potentially bring this virus to any other community.

Making the decision back then relieved me of all the worry and stress. I am sure that too many of my family and friends would be very concerned right now had I persisted in my travel plans. This is not just about me. The situation with Covid-19 is just too volatile and unpredictable in my humble opinion and there are potentially very many consequences if one acquires this virus or spreads it. This is a time for community solidarity and I am happy to comply with the best medical and scientific advice available for the foreseeable future. Finally, we who have experienced the Camino have been truly blessed. We who have experienced Camino several times have so much to be grateful for. Chose wisely and Buen Camino.

Nicely put James. I read this thread earlier today and had to go away for a while and compose my thoughts for a bit. The draw of the Camino is strong, whether it's your first or a return visit. To cancel or delay plans is heartbreaking. Our plans for the Del Norte this year were cancelled and it's very unlikely we're going to be able to use the airline credit before it expires. James you are right that this is a time for solidarity and following the best medical and scientific advice. Many countries have gone down the path of prioritising the economy and on the whole it has not gone well. I'm fortunate to have memories of the Camino. One of my favourites is seeing communities, particularly senior citizens come out after dinner for a stroll or a sit or a drink. It would break my heart to think that I might in any way contribute to putting our hosts at risk to satisfy my own desire. I say this from the relative safety and isolation from New Zealand. But I also say this from the perspective of being an RN who has spent the last 4 months working in a testing centre and going into the isolation facilities to swab recent returnees. There are 2 constants - one that we all want this to be over and two - that most people can magic up a reason for the rules not to apply to them in a very short period of time. So in the meantime, it's little walks around my own country and that's not a bad thing either. Beun camino.

Rain
I was due to go to Valencia for a break, not a Camino, from 20th August, but now EasyJet have cancelled my return flight - just something you might want to bear in mind. I was happy to go and quarantine on my return, having recently come back from Madrid, I felt as safe there as here in London because everyone was wearing masks and adhering to SD measures. But it seems a lot of airlines are cancelling flights to UK from Spain I guess because they can't fill them at the moment in light of the new UK measures. I am planning to begin the Camino Portuguese in mid to late September, but will see what happens with flights over the coming weeks.

Hope by September things would have calmed down a bit and your flight not cancelled. Beun Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have been finding this a very difficult decision too - my partner and I are due to start walking next Saturday. At the moment, we are keeping an eye on the situation, and will mostly be guided by the Spanish government's attitude. The UK govt has a habit of treating the entire country en bloc, and this isn't realy how it works within Spain. There is also an awful lot of missing information from a UK infection-perspective, and the numbers being used are not entirely comparable figures, so any sense of scale is very difficult to gague reliably.

I was relieved to see so many people wearing masks in Santiago in Ivar's video, and reassured by the words of the Spanish prime minister about the localisation of outbreaks, and the relative confinement of these outbreaks to major cities, and Catalonia in particular. No doubt areas like Catalonia are facing dangerous spikes, and we cannot be blase about these, but because each autonomous region of Spain can go into lockdown itself, I am working on the principle that if a region I am in locks down then we will either quarantine there, or get out before the deadline - i.e, having flexibility on the road to comply fully with the Spanish and regional guidance.

From a safety perspective, I will be wearing my mask whenever I am in close contact with anyone, whether that is on the street outside, in a cafe, or in an albergue. If it turns out that other pilgrims or residents are not acting sensibly or cautiously, or if at any point we feel we could be contributing to the problem, we will end our camino early. The other alternative we have been considering is to walk the Le Puy route in France this year.

It is a difficult choice. I am in the fortunate position of being able to work on short notice changes, both from the UK side and from the Spanish side. I do not think that my position is the 'correct' one, but it is the one that I have come to feel most comfortable with. For each person, it will be different. x
thank you for your response and yes I am considering le put to st Jean pied du port too. But with 4 days to go to the Camino I havent researched it. How easy is it to walk alone and get accommodation.

Regards rain

So sorry for the dilemma you are in.Please believe you are not on your own,either with the upset at the position of the government (which is sudden and unexpected),or with the reaction of friends and family.Many of us are in the same position.I keep checking the forum for all news.I am due back on Camino in September for my 7th time,and at 73 for what could be my last visit to the magic that is the Camino.I too have been called selfish,crazy and a danger to myself and others so I avoid the topic,and pray daily that things will change even if it seems unlikely at the moment.I hope you can go at some point and send you all best wishes.God Bless.
Thank you and I hope you go too. With 4 days to go I am still undecided.

It's a horrible dilemma although it may be one that ends up being taken out of your hands. I would say there are two things to consider - 1. the practical aspect (will your travel insurance cover you if you get stuck, is your flight likely to be cancelled/changed, have you the financial capacity to change your plans dramatically half way through, eg buying new flights home, staying in hotels if internal travel restrictions are put up, getting stuck in Spain longer than planned...) and 2. the health aspect (what is the risk of you having covid-19 already, spreading it or catching it while here).

On the health aspect there are of course lots of unknowns although it does seem that a lot of the new outbreaks come from large group gatherings (birthday celebrations, night life, as well as workers in cramped living conditions). In Madrid they announced today that masks will be compulsory from Thursday outside even if you can maintain distance, although to be honest almost everyone is wearing them all the time anyway and have been for some time. Personally I don't think it's selfish to want to come as long as you take all the precautions and follow all the advice.

I'm hoping to start my first camino this weekend, but I live in Madrid so at least if my plan goes awry, it will probably be easier for me to cancel halfway through. I have also pre-booked all my accommodation (although even that is not risk free- I had booking.com cancel one of my rooms more than two weeks after booking!). I also took a covid test recently so that I would at least not be unknowingly spreading the virus through small villages (negative - no covid nor antibodies, and never had any symptoms) although of course that gives no lasting guarantee.

In the end though it may be that government action from either the UK or Spain to try to contain the health aspect might make the practical aspects rather difficult for you. Given the speed with which things are changing it might be wisest to cut your losses....

Thank you. I will let a covid test decide for me, although I believe I had it in January. Thank you for the insight. Beun Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
JabbaPapa has posted at 3.06pm today on the covid 19 thread pg 7 news relating to Galicia apparently closing it's borders to anyone entering the area from the Basque area and other provinces basically Eastern Spain so maybe this needs checking out before anyone makes the decision to walk the Primitivo, Norte etc. There are links on the post so you can get the info direct from the horses mouth.
Don
Thank you Don. Do you have the links please.

Rain. Trecile who is undoubtedly more technically proficient than I am has posted the link on this thread at 6.18pm tuesday.
Don.

Rain. Trecile who is undoubtedly more technically proficient than I am has posted the link on this thread at 6.18pm tuesday.
Don.
Thank you Don that's really helpful. Especially with 4 days to go.

Regards Rain

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thank you for a thought provoking response. I have made sure that its financially viable for me to walk and at your urging i have taken a covid test because it will be irresponsible to spread Covid in Spain if I am infected.

First tests are clear but final results will come on Thursday. that will decide if I stay or go to the Camino on Friday.

Buen Camino and thank you for your insights

After testing negative for covid. I made it to the camino :). The accommodation from Bayonne to Bilbao was patchy, but glad i brought a tent along.

3 weeks later I started the primitivo yesterday and was surprised to find an albeurge. I am hoping that the weather stays brilliant for walking and to find some places to stay or camp.

Buen camino and thank you for your insights.

Rain (in Spain stays mainly on the plain)

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.