• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

COVID Covid on the Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have heard at least one case on the Camino so far this fall. Of course, back here at home, I've got coworkers out with it right now, too. It hasn't gone away.

We had covid 2 summers ago on the Camino. Plan to budget enough money for a private room if you should get it and need to quarantine a few days. Masks are available in pharmacies as are covid tests in Spain.

Some people are wearing masks in Lisbon but the cliniques do not currently require mask for admission, if they did I would be concerned.
I had friends from Oregon who visited me in April and took a river cruise on the Douro, when they got home they both tested positive.

Plan to budget enough money for a private room if you should get it and need to quarantine a few days. Masks are available in pharmacies as are covid tests in Spain.
This is excellent advice. We have a few friends with Covid right now. We are not concerned at all but we'll be taking a few masks in our backpacks for convenience in case we need them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Getting ready to walk the CF this week from SJPP and am hearing reports about increasing Covid cases. I’m wondering what people are experiencing who are currently walking.
We leave SJPP 20/09/23 we all have Covid test kits, available from most health departments. We will be the ones on the plane with masks. You cannot live with fear, but Covid is on the move again Worldwide.

A friend from our local walking group recently returned from a Camino (Camino Portugues, FWIW) with Covid. It is still out there. That said, I have heard no talk of resuming restrictions on the Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In the USA, new this year, you can get a prescription of Paxlovid to take with you in case you do get COVID and feel symptoms are strong enough that the meds would help.
My brother's doctor in the US would not order it so check with your own physician before traveling. Said he was too young and healthy to need it.

It’s always out there, and despite the hot weather apparently on the rise again. ( Or maybe because of, with so many on holiday/travelling?).
There’s numerous cases amongst friends and acquaintances here in Germany recently, including a friend who likely picked it up on a flight from London a couple of weeks ago. Our own @Becky 59 is currently volunteering as a Hospitäler, and she posted that she’s now positive, in her opinion likely from an airborne source.
Fortunately, so far all have reported it more as a blasted nuisance rather than a debilitating illness .

I got Covid once and fortunately for a very short period of time while I was living in the US. I took Paxlovid but I was told it is only good for one time for the treatment of getting sick.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Getting ready to walk the CF this week from SJPP and am hearing reports about increasing Covid cases. I’m wondering what people are experiencing who are currently walking.
We got it beginning May 2023 when we got to Lisbon - had planned to walk Portugués from Porto to Santiago. Mostly Uber-ed instead. And we were masked ALL the time. Fortunately had booked private rooms all the way, so we were able to keep moving. Enjoyed Santiago in health, and Paris for a week afterwards. Then got Covid AGAIN on the flight home from France. 🤦🏻‍♀️ If you’re gonna get it, you’re gonna get it. Always have a plan B.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I must say COVID has crossed my mind in regards to my upcoming first Camino (as a walker) experience (which I guess makes me a Camino virgin). I guess there is a slightly increased risk in Albergues due to the close quarters and number of people, but I'd take that anyday over sitting in a packed pringles tube flying anywhere, or the under ground for that matter (granted neither are a required form for transport in Jersey but are used for illustrative purposes).
For the rest of the time I don't see I'm any more likely to catch it there than I would at home, and probably even less risk due to amount of time spent outside perhaps.

Walking in Portugal and Spain towards Compostela last Summer/Autumn, I'd guess a third of us had it, a third recovering, and a third immune.

I can remember no deaths nor grievous illnesses.

Mainly I remember some pilgrims coughing.

First question is how susceptible are you e.g. have you been inoculated. Secondly if you did contract it, what effect would it have?

It’s out there so you have to make a judgement.
I have had every vaccine and booster possible. Remember they (vaccines) do not prevent catching COVID but decrease incidence of serious disease; mine is fairly mild. Also remember that the strains in the first vaccines are no longer circulating, so whether or not someone had the original vaccine becomes immaterial.
Honestly I was quite surprised I got sick; we always have open windows etc etc. And no one staying here had symptoms. It’s a good reminder that COVID is part of the fabric of our world now.

Fortunately, I am allowed out in public, in Spain, with COVID, as long as I wear a mask. No longer are there onerous quarantine rules. I will not eat meals with others, however, to avoid contagion. Makes for some lonely dinners!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have had every vaccine and booster possible. Remember they (vaccines) do not prevent catching COVID but decrease incidence of serious disease; mine is fairly mild. Also remember that the strains in the first vaccines are no longer circulating, so whether or not someone had the original vaccine becomes immaterial.
Honestly I was quite surprised I got sick; we always have open windows etc etc. And no one staying here had symptoms. It’s a good reminder that COVID is part of the fabric of our world now.

Fortunately, I am allowed out in public, in Spain, with COVID, as long as I wear a mask. No longer are there onerous quarantine rules. I will not eat meals with others, however, to avoid contagion. Makes for some lonely dinners!
Hope you get well soon🤞

Being sick while on Camino is not really like being sick at home. On Camino, you can't just go lie down whenever you want to like you could at home in your own place. You have to actually go find something to eat rather than heating something or making a cup of tea in your own kitchen. You still have laundry which must be washed and dried and usually no convenient way to do that without going out somewhere. As I said, reserve some of your budget for renting a comfortable place just in case you do get sick. You may feel very bad or you may have a light case. Either way, you will probably want to be comfortable if you get sick.

On the Portugues right now. Haven't heard of any illness. Went to the medical center (unrelated) and they did want me to mask up. They were very nice & helpful as was the pharmacist.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I got Covid once and fortunately for a very short period of time while I was living in the US. I took Paxlovid but I was told it is only good for one time for the treatment of getting sick.
Paxlovid, at one time, was being used for rebound Covid. It is no longer recommended for rebound symptoms (but of course in a severe, hospitalized patient, it might be used as a "hail mary"). After use, it's effects may last up to a few months. HOWEVER, after a period of time, anyone high risk who catches Covid again (remember it could be a different variant) can use Paxlovid again.

Just came back from Camino Norte (I only did the first part). Every night I stayed in an albergue, there was someone sick there with cough, runny nose and not feeling well. These could have been just colds, can’t say for sure. I did not get sick. Be prepared that not everyone who gets sick will avoid albergues.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Arrived with my partner in Santiago yesterday (28/09), having walked the Portuguese Camino. Both tested positive for Covid & attended private hospital last evening. Doctor there reports ..."it has been a horrendous month for Covid presentations at Santiago".
Note: anti-virals are not available in Galacia (even for an immunocompromised 60 yr old pilgrim). Hardly anyone wearing masks & coughing natives ... & pilgrims, are everywhere.

We’ll reach Santiago on the Frances tomorrow, we’ve had 5 night in Albergues on the way from Leon, the rest pensions and tonight an AirBnB style home rental, only mention our sign of Covid was a lady from a group on a food and wine tour of the Camino, she’d had it and had been isolating from her group.

Personally I wore a mask on the trains/planes/buses on the way over, it felt like the highest risk part of the trip.

Covid was definitely on the Frances over Summer - I caught it, possibly in Belorado as the pilgrim in the next room was very ill all night and my symptoms hit me on the day I struggled into Hontanas. My symptoms were just mild and I was able to keep going over the two roughest days. Met a couple of other people who had caught it at different times too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On the Podiensis in France and not hearing much at all on this subject. Nor are we meeting anyone ill or.that has been ill.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.