• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CP em janeiro/fevereiro de 2012? (CP in january/february?)

brasileiro

Olá, tudo bem?

Pretendo fazer o caminho português em janeiro/fevereiro a pé, a partir de Lisboa. A maioria das pessoas têm me desanconselhado por causa do frio. Gostaria de saber se o frio é tão severo como dizem. Haverá problemas com albergues nesse período?

Gostaria de ouvir a esse respeito com peregrinos que foram no inverno, etc., ou que conhecem esse caminho melhor.

ps - escolhi o CP português justamente para evitar o frio que supostamente o caminho francês tem nesse período. Além do mais, Portugal é um país muito querido e muito bonito.

grato,
Marcelo

Hello!

I want to go to Portuguese way in January / February on foot, from Lisboa. How is cold in the months? Is it so severe as everybody say? There will be problems with hostels during this period?

I would like to hear about it to pilgrims who were in the winter, etc..

Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Brasileiro

I did the northern half to Valenca in March this year. No probs with cold, many towns, much accommodation - though I stayed mainly in modest hotels. (I recommend Pontevedra for a rest day - loved that town.)

Since the CP's climate is much milder than the camino frances - which I walked this winter - I doubt there'd be major difficulties.

So...Sounds like a great idea.

Pois nao, podes faze-lo. Nao entendo porque a gente diz que o frio e tao severo; o CP tem um clima maritimo, sem grandes montanhas. O mais importante e de ficar seco!

Penso que um brasileiro pode contar com um tratamento muito especial em Portugal e em Galicia, nao? Todos irmaos lusofonos!

Good luck, and hope you do the CP eventually, whatever the season.

Rob

Thanks, Robertt.

Because of the cold I decided to go on the CP ortuguese or 'via de la plata" (from Sevilha), because I think the cold is tolerable in winter these routes.

The Portuguese way is very beautiful and the language is the same as I speak. Already the Via de la Plata seems to have a rich culture and a country too dear to us brazilians.

Do you know if the hostels and accommodations close these routes in the winter (jan/feb)? Do you have any "tip" to help me decide which way I must go?

Sorry for my english...

Marcelo

Por causa do frio eu decidi ir ou pelo caminho português ou pela via de la plata, pois acredito que o frio é tolerável nessas rotas no inverno.

O caminho português, pelo que falam, é muito bonito e a lingua é a mesma que eu falo. Já a via de la plata parece ter uma cultura muito rica e um país também querido de nós brasileiros.

Você sabe me dizer se os albergues e acomodações nessas rotas fecham no inverno? Tem alguma "dica" pra me ajudar a decidir qual dos caminhos seguir? Qualquer ajuda é bem vinda, amigo.

Marcelo

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Marcelo,
I have spent several one-year stints in Portugal over the past decade, and though the weather is unpredictable, it's pretty safe to say that the temperatures in January are of a different magnitude from what you would experience in northern Europe. In Lisbon, for instance, even in deepest winter, the temperatures usually hit at least 13 or 14 celsius. The northern interior can of course get colder, but the real cold in Portugal is reserved for the mountains in the Serra da Estrela and maybe some other areas around Braganca, so you should be ok.

If you look through some of the other posts in both the Vdlp section and the Camino Portugues section of this forum, you'll see some discussions about accommodation that may be of interest to you. In Portugal, at least south of Porto, there is only limited pilgrim accommodation, though that is changing. North of porto and in Spain, you'll find many more albergues but I assume that in January you will frequently have to resort to a "residencial" or "pensao", but in Portugal I found that the cost was usually under 20 or 25 euros a night. On the Vdlp, there are a lot more albergues, but I don't know about opening in the winter time. And you can expect private accommodation in Spain to be more expensive than in Portugal.

You should look at the http://www.vialusitana.org website, because it has a lot of good information about the Caminho Portugues, and it's all in Portuguese! The members of that organization are very helpful and dedicated peregrinos, as well. Bom caminho, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.