• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Photo contest for CP calendar

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
The official website for the CP (including central, coastal and littoral) is running a photo contest at the moment with 12 winning photos to be used in a 2024 calendar, and prizes from Decathlon involved as well.

The instructions are in Portuguese but it's fairly easy to follow: you just enter your name, email, phone number and upload one photo that you took (max 2MB in size) that 'best represents the pilgrim spirit'. The contest is open until the 15th of October.

Here's the link to participate.

This is the photo I submitted: a pilgrim rock garden at Refugio Nicolau on the stage heading into Coimbra. And here's what I wrote in my live thread at the time:

Just before Fonte Coberta, we had a big surprise when we stumbled upon a donativo campsite run by Nicolau and Maria (who have read this thread and were waiting for us!). We spent about an hour there with them and their French guest Jean, who has made a lovely painted rock garden at the entrance to the camp. They are all free spirits with a positive and beautiful outlook on life and the spirit of the camino runs deeply through all of them. If anyone walking behind us has the chance to spend some time with them and approaches with an open mind it will certainly be an interesting and enriching experience!

Refugio_Nikolau.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is the one I like best from last year, but -- completely wrong country !!

WP_20221229_11_33_41_Pro.jpg

I submitted a moody rain-soaked one from the Coastal.

Hello Nick, thanks for the link…..love these things but never win anything…..entered a wet and moody shot from just north of Ponte de Lima in March this year. Then I found this one from between Padron and Santiago last November which would have been more fun but I missed it and you only get one entry. It was my Camino rebellious moment when I needed a break.
Thanks again !

Attachments

• IMG_2307.jpeg
    IMG_2307.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 39
A selection of Camino Jewellery
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Beware of the rights you may be giving up.
As a lay person in the field, Theresa, I appreciate your attention to detail. However, in the wider scheme of things - one second separates me from any right whatsoever. So, I have no photo right now to submit, but if I find one, I will know because you have told me. I see from your avatar why you are alert, and repeat gratitude for the information.

Beware of the rights you may be giving up.
Reading the conditions, clearly that's only if they publish it -- reference to "the calendar" clearly means that by submitting a photo, you are ceding to them all rights if they choose to use your photo in that project ; including if they should choose to use some photos that did not make the cut in other related media, such as for example a "best of the rest" compilation.

But really, it's just a means for them to avoid hostile litigation -- just as Ivar's use of photos by pilgrims as he wishes is provided to him by the terms of service here, though I seriously doubt that Ivar would start any hostile litigation over their use elsewhere !!

It's really just going to be the winning photos that people actually will lose rights over ...

Only by publishing can they establish copyright.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Reading the conditions, clearly that's only if they publish it
I'm not a copyright lawyer or even a lawyer but I have read a lot about copyright law (though mainly about US copyright law). I believe that you are incorrect about most of your points. I recommend to photographers interested in retaining rights to their photos to not submit them to this contest.

I know that under US copyright law one can own copyright of unpublished works. Is this true in Portugal? You only have a short period of time to find out.

I know that under US copyright law one can own copyright of unpublished works.
US copyright law is radically different to copyright law in Europe ; for one thing, establishing copyright in the US may require you to sue someone else to retain it.

Not so in Europe, however an entity would still need to establish copyright by various means, usually publication. Just saying "you agree to bla ... bla bla ... " is insufficient to that purpose, it just establishes a right for them to publish and therefore copyright whatever you have sent them.

Last edited:
While informative that I may well have lost the copyright and moral rights to one of the hundreds of photos I took while walking the Camino Portuguese by, like Nick, submitting it into a fun calendar competition, quite honestly I couldn’t care less. Sharing a favourite image from a moment on the trail that might resonate or bring a moment of positive reflection to others is way more important to me than it remaining hidden in my ‘paid for‘ segment of the cloud with its copyright intact. Thanks for the info anyway!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
US copyright law is radically different to copyright law in Europe ; for one thing, establishing copyright in the US may require you to sue someone else to retain it.

Not so in Europe, however an entity would still need to establish copyright by various means, usually publication. Just saying "you agree to bla ... bla bla ... " is insufficient to that purpose, it just establishes a right for them to publish and therefore copyright whatever you have sent them.
The US is signatory to the Berne Convention. You do not have to sue anyone to receive or retain copyright rights, although you may need to sue to enforce it.

You may be confusing copyright with trademark protection, a different kind of intellectual property law.

Giving someone the right to publish something doesn't transfer copyright. You can transfer copyright to a publisher but most authors give their publishers the right to publish their books while retaining copyright themselves. Thus you will see a book published by, for example Random House, but still copyrighted in the authors name. Random House has the right to publish the book. But they don't therefore have the right to say "Copyright Random House". This is true in both the USA and Europe.

Caveat: I am not a lawyer, much less a lawyer specializing in intellectual property law. I did however, learn about it as part of my studies in grad school. Enough to recognize when something seems way off base.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The official website for the CP (including central, coastal and littoral) is running a photo contest at the moment with 12 winning photos to be used in a 2024 calendar, and prizes from Decathlon involved as well.

The instructions are in Portuguese but it's fairly easy to follow: you just enter your name, email, phone number and upload one photo that you took (max 2MB in size) that 'best represents the pilgrim spirit'. The contest is open until the 15th of October.

Here's the link to participate.

This is the photo I submitted: a pilgrim rock garden at Refugio Nicolau on the stage heading into Coimbra. And here's what I wrote in my live thread at the time:

Just before Fonte Coberta, we had a big surprise when we stumbled upon a donativo campsite run by Nicolau and Maria (who have read this thread and were waiting for us!). We spent about an hour there with them and their French guest Jean, who has made a lovely painted rock garden at the entrance to the camp. They are all free spirits with a positive and beautiful outlook on life and the spirit of the camino runs deeply through all of them. If anyone walking behind us has the chance to spend some time with them and approaches with an open mind it will certainly be an interesting and enriching experience!

View attachment 158187
Hi jungleboy,

This is Maria from the formerly known as Refúgio Peregrino Nicolau, we are now called Refúgio das Cabaças. If you come visit us, you will understand the reason of the name change and our place has improved a lot since your last visit with the help of a very special French pilgrim, he is also the creative director of your photo.

Anyway, because you are submitting a photo of my home, I am thinking if you win this competition, I guess you have to somehow share your prize with us because without us and more importantly, God, that photo would not exist !!! So what do you think??

By the way, if I saw your post earlier, I would have submitted a photo too but now it's too late... but I am really interested to know the 12 winning photos, please update us or send me a private message for the updates of this competition as I don't follow this forum too often. Obrigada!

Ultreia and God bless !

Maria

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It doesnt look like any of the ones posted here made the cut.
Sadly not but the fun was in the anticipation and what the hell, everyone here on the forum enjoyed them !

It doesnt look like any of the ones posted here made the cut.
@jungleboy's made it, but I didn't see any of the others. Too bad, because I think the ones on this thread are more creative and original than many that made the cut -- so many of those seem to be shots of people jumping up and down in front of the Cathedral 😄. Still, lots of fun to look through and vote for some favorites.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back