• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Create your own route

biloute

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (summer 2014), Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (possible summer 2019)
Has anyone here ever created your own route? I've thought about doing the Camino starting in Strasbourg, down through the Franche-Comté on the GR 59 and joining up with the route in Geneva rather than from Strasbourg to Vézelay. Would I be able to get stamps to make it official? Plus, I know that the GRs in France are completely walkable, but there are no guides that I know of that will indicate the route, water points, gîtes d'étapes, etc. Ideas for finding them?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't understand what you mean by "official". The only official recognition I am aware of is the Compostela offered to all who walk the final 100km into Santiago. I believe that you can also ask for a certificate which states the distance you have walked. I walked from my home in the UK to St Jean Pied de Port by a route I worked out for myself. I also chose to walk from Canterbury to Besancon by a personal route before joining the main Via Francigena to Rome. In both cases I found stamps occasionally in hostels and tourist offices. I did not worry too much about gathering proof - I walk for the experience.

You may find this site useful www.ffrandonnee.fr. for routes, accommodation etc. There are probably too many guides to the GR's, most of them useless at best so I won't make any recommendations. Each local association publishes their own guide. Thank the gods for the internet.

If you set out with an approved Credencial (available from Ivar's store (plug)) and obtain stamps from churches, hotels, bars and town halls along your route you will have a document that would support an application for a certificate of distance. AS Bradypus says you only need to evidence the last 100k into Santiago to obtain a Compostella.

Happy planning

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.