• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credenciales once again available in Lisbon -- May 14, 2015

peregrina2000

Staff member
EDIT, May 14: See the post below by jl in this thread. As of today, there is a big supply of credenciales in the Cathedral of Lisbon.

I met up with another forum member this morning in Lisbon and had hoped to help her with those pre-Caminho details. Phone was fine, it was simple for her to get her iPhone suited up with a new sim card, but the credencial was another matter. None in the Igreja dos Mártires, none in the Cathedral, and probably none in the Igreja de Santiago, but it was locked up tight.

They are waiting for a shipment, and I wouldn't be surprised if my ViaLusitana pals currently in Santiago are bringing back a big load of them to distribute. I'll post an update when I hear that they are available again.

Sandy called Mario in Santarém and learned that he has some, so it's not the end of the world, but it would be nice to have the stamp of the Cathedral, etc.

We heard in both the Cathedral and the church that the numbers of pilgrims has been growing very quickly, and that they just didn't anticipate the huge demand for credenciales. Good luck and bom caminho to all those starting out on the Português soon. But it is getting hot here in Lisboa!!! Laurie

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I met up with another forum member this morning in Lisbon and had hoped to help her with those pre-Caminho details. Phone was fine, it was simple for her to get her iPhone suited up with a new sim card, but the credencial was another matter. None in the Igreja dos Mártires, none in the Cathedral, and probably none in the Igreja de Santiago, but it was locked up tight.

They are waiting for a shipment, and I wouldn't be surprised if my ViaLusitana pals currently in Santiago are bringing back a big load of them to distribute. I'll post an update when I hear that they are available again.

Sandy called Mario in Santarém and learned that he has some, so it's not the end of the world, but it would be nice to have the stamp of the Cathedral, etc.

We heard in both the Cathedral and the church that the numbers of pilgrims has been growing very quickly, and that they just didn't anticipate the huge demand for credenciales. Good luck and bom caminho to all those starting out on the Português soon. But it is getting hot here in Lisboa!!! Laurie
enjoy your time in lisboa !! hope it's a splendid one.
and interesting to note what a difference a year makes. ran out of credentials ... who'd thought? :eek:o_O
even though i've left the portugues soil 10 months ago, in my heart and spirit i am still walking those paths ...
very best wishes - C

I've heard in both the Cathedral and the church that the numbers of pilgrims has been growing very quickly, and that they just didn't anticipate the huge demand for credenciales. Good luck and bom caminho to all those starting out on the Português soon. But it is getting hot here in Lisboa!!! Laurie

I was in contact with Slovenian Asociation when arranging something for @lovingkindness on her way through here and they offered me their credencial but I really want to have a Levante one because starting in Valencia. I understand Cathedral in Lisbon ran out of them due tzo increase of pilgrims that all wanted to have credencial issued at the beginning of their pilgrimage.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was in contact with Slovenian Asociation when arranging something for @lovingkindness on her way through here and they offered me their credencial but I really want to have a Levante one because starting in Valencia. I understand Cathedral in Lisbon ran out of them due tzo increase of pilgrims that all wanted to have credencial issued at the beginning of their pilgrimage.
I think you're right Kinky. The irony is that the Portuguese don't (yet) have their own credencial. They just buy big batches of them from the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago! I'm hoping this crisis will show the Via Lusitana that they should be making their own credentials. Bom caminho!

I think you're right Kinky. The irony is that the Portuguese don't (yet) have their own credencial. They just buy big batches of them from the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago! I'm hoping this crisis will show the Via Lusitana that they should be making their own credentials. Bom caminho!
Oh, I didn't know that. It's a shame there isn't a special CP credential :confused:
I mean, it's such a well known route, lots of folks walking it and all...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree with you, and I have written my friends at Via Lusitana to encourage them to do it. We talked about it last year when I saw them, but they were not convinced.
Well, maybe they should take a look at SdC Pilgrim Office stats...

Laurie,

Thanks for posting this, I was under the impression that there was a CP credencial, hopefully in Portuguese. I don't think it's well known that they are from the Pilgrim's office. Knowing this now I will order one from Ivar and not run the risk of not getting one there, though I will still go to the cathedral for the carimbo.

Laurie,

Thanks for posting this, I was under the impression that there was a CP credencial, hopefully in Portuguese. I don't think it's well known that they are from the Pilgrim's office. Knowing this now I will order one from Ivar and not run the risk of not getting one there, though I will still go to the cathedral for the carimbo.

And the Church of Santiago, a few blocks up the hill, also has a very nice carimbo, if you can get there when it's open. I was there this afternoon at around 1:30 and it was closed, but on Wednesday around 4 it was open, but I didn't see any schedule posted.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If my vote counts for anything, I would have loved to have had a credential in Portuguese.

And the Church of Santiago, a few blocks up the hill, also has a very nice carimbo, if you can get there when it's open. I was there this afternoon at around 1:30 and it was closed, but on Wednesday around 4 it was open, but I didn't see any schedule posted.

Great, I'll make sure to stop there as well.

I got mine from mario and did not have to wait for coimbra, which is where I'll be tomorrow.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I got mine from mario and did not have to wait for coimbra, which is where I'll be tomorrow.
Do not forget to attend the fado show just oposite the Coimbra Cathedral. It takes an hour, you'll get a free portwine and it is great. I thought it starts at 17h00
Adk the tourist info about it just over the bridge entering Coimbra. Centro do Fado.

Here's the website with all the information about that fado show in Coimbra: http://www.fadoaocentro.com/en Albertinho, it says that anyone with an instrument is welcome to join in during their 4 - 5:30 pm practice time Did you do that?

There is a similar show in Lisbon, in the Chiado. It's at 7 pm every night but Monday. http://www.fadoinchiado.com/

I think these shows are great pilgrim options because there's no way mot of us would be able to stay up for a typical fado show at 11 pm or later! I've been to the show in Lisbon and I enjoyed it very much I am not a fado expert, but I thought that both the male and female singers were quite good.

One more vote for a specific CP credencial. We were going to get ours in Porto thinking it would be specific.....ah well. Does anyone know if stamps in your journal "suffice" (I have discovered the stamps in my journals on previous caminos are the ones I look at again because I flick through the journal - but we don't pull out the credencial quite the same) IS the credencial essential to securing a bed - or would proof of previous night's accommodation in a paper journal do?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One more vote for a Portuguese CP credential.
Will talk with José Luis about it to understand why not???
Nevertheless, I do still have credentials for those who need it.
No need to sleep in Santarem Hostel, just show up, we'll be happy to provide one!
Bom Caminho
Mario

Hello Laurie, missed you in May, got to see you in July.
Mario and I talked yesterday about it all.
There are plenty of credentials at the Lisbon Cathedral now. At last :)
The 'maps only' guide from John Brierley will be available too next week (hopefully).
As for the Portuguese Credential, yes, we will made one this year, just 'ironing' the last bureaucratic issues.
Does anyone knows a world class designer working pro-bono in the credential design business? :)

Hi, JL,
GREAT news!!! You can see that a lot of people will be very happy to have a specially designed Portuguese credential.

I know the person who designed the American Pilgrims on the Camino credential, and I am happy to get in touch with her to ask if she has time, but maybe there are talented people on the foruom who could help out. In any case, I'll bet you will find lots of people with ideas for what should be on it.

I hope to be in Santiago July 14 (maybe 13)-16 -- are you saying you will be there then? Bom caminho, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So will will see each other (again) in July :)
As for the Credential, any ideas from you in the forum about what should be in it?
And what do you like the most, a booklet like the APOC one, or a zigzag lengthy paper like the french and spanish ones?

Hi, JL,
APOC isn´t booklet, the Canadian one is, though. I personally like the zig zag paper. I think you should start a new thread entitled something like: "Help us design a credential for the Caminho Portugues" or something like that. I bet you will get lots of input on design ideas. Here is one more random thing -- I find that the APOC credential, by not having boxes on the page, winds up having a lot of white space because the people who stamp aren´t required to squeeze it into a box. I prefer boxes on the page, of a size adequate for most carimbos. Sure, you´ll have one of two that cover two boxes, but that´s better than having only 3 or 4 stamps on every page.

Having the cathedral on the cover would be one obvious choice, but I´m sure there are many others.

SO GLAD we will see you in July! I´m walking with LTfit from the forum and we hope to arrive in Santiago on either July 13 or 14. Bom caminho, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, APOC is zigzag. Sorry...
The spanish credential has 8 boxes each page, maybe 6 would be better, stamps are getting bigger every year.
The Japanese has a special page for the first and last stamps. I think it's a great idea, the first stamp is, well, it's THE FIRST stamp.

JoséLuis

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back