Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credential for Camino Primitivo

SANDRAGABRIELA

Time of past OR future Camino
(2020)
Hi we are planning to do camino primitivo June 2024,We will arrive at Oviedo 8 June very late, where can I buy Credential

thanks
sandra

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi we are planning to do camino primitivo June 2024,We will arrive at Oviedo 8 June very late, where can I buy Credential

thanks
sandra
You can purchase your Credential inside the Cathedral in Oviedo. That is where the first marker is for the Primitivo. It also allows a reduced price to visit the Cathedral. Worth it, for sure!

You can purchase your Credential inside the Cathedral in Oviedo. That is where the first marker is for the Primitivo. It also allows a reduced price to visit the Cathedral. Worth it, for sure!
Any idea of the opening hours? I'm guessing it's the "Tourist" opening hours listed on the website? assuming it's the same office/desk you get the credential from. . .

Any idea of the opening hours? I'm guessing it's the "Tourist" opening hours listed on the website? assuming it's the same office/desk you get the credential from. . .
I think it opens at 10am. It is the entrance booth just inside the Cathedral. The visit takes about an hour unless you hurry and just want to view the "good stuff". You need internet to hear the messages. There is a senior discount price for the visit. The Credential is 2 Euros.

You can take a taxi to the very start of the actual path and save an hour or two. Depends if you happen to get lost on the Way (like me). It is just city hiking and time consuming.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think it opens at 10am. It is the entrance booth just inside the Cathedral. The visit takes about an hour unless you hurry and just want to view the "good stuff". You need internet to hear the messages. There is a senior discount price for the visit. The Credential is 2 Euros.

You can take a taxi to the very start of the actual path and save an hour or two. Depends if you happen to get lost on the Way (like me). It is just city hiking and time consuming.
Is there any pilgrim discount? I may not get away with a senior discount (yet 🙏 )!!

We are in all likelihood going to be there for at least 24 hrs before we start, so won't be in any rush, although it doesn't seem to be open on a Sunday. The plan/dream is to go via Mont Naranco for the sunrise at present!

Is there any pilgrim discount? I may not get away with a senior discount

There has been some confusion here about the prices charged to pilgrims for entrance to the Oviedo Cathedral, and whether it depended on whether they had come in on the Salvador or were walking the Primitivo. We are only talking about 4-5 euros here, so I don’t think it’s too big a deal, but take a look at this thread. My posts 36 and 41 have information provided by Ender, a Camino Angel of the Camino del Salvador and the Camino Olvidado. It seems that the official policy is that admission is free for pilgrims, but some report being charged.

@davejsy, your idea about sunrise on Mt. Naranco is intriguing — you’ll have to post pictures. And will you then continue on without going back into Oviedo? The only downside I can think of this is that you will not be able to enter the sites themselves at sunrise. But since you’re got a day for a visit, maybe you can do both a sunrise and then a tourist visit!

And you’re right that there are no tourist visits in the cathedral on Sunday.

Is there any pilgrim discount? I may not get away with a senior discount (yet 🙏 )!!

We are in all likelihood going to be there for at least 24 hrs before we start, so won't be in any rush, although it doesn't seem to be open on a Sunday. The plan/dream is to go via Mont Naranco for the sunrise at present!
There is a pilgrim discount, but you must have a credential. We purchased ours there a couple of weeks ago and received the seniors discount, too. I can't remember the age necessary for the discount, but we were way over it.

We stayed at Gran Hotel Espana which is just a few blocks from the Cathedral and very close to Sidrería La Noceda.

Small locals dive with excellent Sardinian Italian food.

Ristorante Italiano Maiochedda​

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a pilgrim discount, but you must have a credential. We purchased ours there a couple of weeks ago and received the seniors discount, too. I can't remember the age necessary for the discount, but we were way over it.

We stayed at Gran Hotel Espana which is just a few blocks from the Cathedral and very close to Sidrería La Noceda.

Small locals dive with excellent Sardinian Italian food.

Ristorante Italiano Maiochedda​

There might have been some confusion on the entrance fee, but we just paid what the gentleman was asking for.

There has been some confusion here about the prices charged to pilgrims for entrance to the Oviedo Cathedral, and whether it depended on whether they had come in on the Salvador or were walking the Primitivo. We are only talking about 4-5 euros here, so I don’t think it’s too big a deal, but take a look at this thread. My posts 36 and 41 have information provided by Ender, a Camino Angel of the Camino del Salvador and the Camino Olvidado. It seems that the official policy is that admission is free for pilgrims, but some report being charged.

@davejsy, your idea about sunrise on Mt. Naranco is intriguing — you’ll have to post pictures. And will you then continue on without going back into Oviedo? The only downside I can think of this is that you will not be able to enter the sites themselves at sunrise. But since you’re got a day for a visit, maybe you can do both a sunrise and then a tourist visit!

We were charged, although we purchased three credentials, too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@davejsy, your idea about sunrise on Mt. Naranco is intriguing — you’ll have to post pictures. And will you then continue on without going back into Oviedo? The only downside I can think of this is that you will not be able to enter the sites themselves at sunrise.
My plan at the moment will be too follow the route I think yourself and maybe @Tincatinker mention in another thread? I need to look it back up. I'm not too bothered about access, although I don't imagine they close off the top where the Christ the redeemer statue thing is? That is the place I want to be for the sunrise.
Messenger_creation_23836303-ab6d-42ff-9e82-38f9fe92386e.jpeg
I've had this dream of starting there ever since we visited it in 2021.

We will in all likelihood arrive in Oviedo sometime on Friday having driven down from Jersey, and I think we won't start until Sunday to try to miss any potential traffic in order we can try and avoid having to book ahead. We will be staying with my friend in the old town, and hopefully she will be joining us on some or all of the route 🤞

It is possible that one source of confusion might be that, in the eyes of the Oviedo Cathedral (or the folks who work there) it is possible that there are pilgrims and there are pilgrims. That is, to be a little less opaque, they may distinguish between pilgrims to Oviedo and pilgrims from Oviedo. I know that I was given free admission (seemingly as a matter of course) last year when I presented my completed credencial for the Camino de San Salvador from Leon to Oviedo. Others, at the same time, who were setting off from Oviedo for Santiago were not reporting the same free access.

That said, if someone decides to walk from Leon to Oviedo on the Salvador, free admission to the cathedral in Oviedo is the least of the benefits.

I need to look it back up. I'm not too bothered about access, although I don't imagine they close off the top where the Christ the redeemer statue thing is?
Oooooh, well I have a one-track Naranco mind. :p Naranco for me means the two most outstanding examples of Asturian pre-romanesque architecture, San Miguel de Lillo and Santa María de Naranco.

The redeemer statue is another couple hundred meters up the hill!

Oooooh, well I have a one-track Naranco mind. :p Naranco for me means the two most outstanding examples of Asturian pre-romanesque architecture, San Miguel de Lillo and Santa María de Naranco.

The redeemer statue is another couple hundred meters up the hill!
Yes of course the churches are beautiful, but I have visited them before. But we may drive up there beforehand to see them if there is interest from the youths! There is also a rather wonderful restaurant/sidra bar in the way up that overlooks the whole of Oviedo👌
FB_IMG_1707766046026.jpg

The Beloved tells me we did eat there. I, apparently, made a pig of myself with various bits of pig. She also says that “our” insalada was very nice too.
Oh well, yet another on the “must get back there if only to apologize”list

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Beloved tells me we did eat there. I, apparently, made a pig of myself with various bits of pig. She also says that “our” insalada was very nice too.
Oh well, yet another on the “must get back there if only to apologize”list
I will meet you there for a Sidra or several👌

Ok, to clarify one point.

I purchased my credencial from Ivar when I bought my guidebook. You're from Australia...does the local Pilgrim's association sell one via mail?

The pilgrim rate at the Cathedral for basic non-Mass entry for pilgrims * starting* in Oviedo was 4 euro as of Sept 2023 ( same price as for the unemployed;). Personally, I shelled out for the tower and guided tours.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've been musing on "that" route to rejoin the Camino from Monte Naranco. I know there's a thread somewhere wherein I described the route down from the monuments to the Rugby Club and the easy (;)) way on from there. Those with a post-graduate degree in guide-book interpretation can rely on the CSJ book as we did once. Since those days we've walked up from the monument and picked up a track that becomes a road that leads to Ules and thence to the Ermita/Capella del Carmen at Llampaxuga. None of it way marked but any decent mapping app (or a compass) will get you there. In fact I think two different mapping apps may have got us there two different ways. This avoids one of the things that Tinkers' like avoiding - walking down a hill just so's you can climb another one and avoids the charming wastelands of the Rugby Club, the "other" Club, and some serious wriggling about in a housing estate to get back on what is way marked as the official route.

Those who've done sunrise at the Redeemer might want to descend, at least as far as San Miguel de Lillo before improvising ;)

It is possible that one source of confusion might be that, in the eyes of the Oviedo Cathedral (or the folks who work there) it is possible that there are pilgrims and there are pilgrims. That is, to be a little less opaque, they may distinguish between pilgrims to Oviedo and pilgrims from Oviedo. I know that I was given free admission (seemingly as a matter of course) last year when I presented my completed credencial for the Camino de San Salvador from Leon to Oviedo. Others, at the same time, who were setting off from Oviedo for Santiago were not reporting the same free access.

That said, if someone decides to walk from Leon to Oviedo on the Salvador, free admission to the cathedral in Oviedo is the least of the benefits.
I agree. Purchasing the credentials at the Cathedral does not allow free access. I think the senior discount is for 60 and over.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've been musing on "that" route to rejoin the Camino from Monte Naranco. I know there's a thread somewhere wherein I described the route down from the monuments to the Rugby Club and the easy (;)) way on from there

Here’s what you said in 2014 in this thread.

So, here is the text, slightly amended from my own notes, that will get you from Naranco to the main Camino route.

As you descend from the monuments you will see in front of you a track marked Access to Fincas only. Take it it knocks out a corner of the road. After about 1k you will pass a large restaurant / club on your right, 200m past this, also on your right, is the entrance to the Fundacion Padre Vinnoy and the Campo de Rugby. Immediately next to this is is a track, turn right into this track follow it down into the Calle de Concinos, turn left. At the end of Concinos turn right into the Calle de Padre Aller, cross the Calle de Vasquez de Mella, then along the Calle de Rafael Gallego Sainz. Bear right into the Calle de Bermudo 1 (El Diacono) to reach the Calle de Alfonso 1 (El Catolico) and turn right, you are now back on the Camino.

You pass the turn off on your way up so you'll have two chances to spot it. If the above sounds confusing its easier on the ground and some of it at least is traceable on the Tourismo street map.

There is a tiny little bar/meson about halfway up the road to Naranco. Excellent coffee and very friendly.

Here’s what you said in 2014 in this thread.

So, here is the text, slightly amended from my own notes, that will get you from Naranco to the main Camino route.

As you descend from the monuments you will see in front of you a track marked Access to Fincas only. Take it it knocks out a corner of the road. After about 1k you will pass a large restaurant / club on your right, 200m past this, also on your right, is the entrance to the Fundacion Padre Vinnoy and the Campo de Rugby. Immediately next to this is is a track, turn right into this track follow it down into the Calle de Concinos, turn left. At the end of Concinos turn right into the Calle de Padre Aller, cross the Calle de Vasquez de Mella, then along the Calle de Rafael Gallego Sainz. Bear right into the Calle de Bermudo 1 (El Diacono) to reach the Calle de Alfonso 1 (El Catolico) and turn right, you are now back on the Camino.

You pass the turn off on your way up so you'll have two chances to spot it. If the above sounds confusing its easier on the ground and some of it at least is traceable on the Tourismo street map.

There is a tiny little bar/meson about halfway up the road to Naranco. Excellent coffee and very friendly.
Hey, I remember it now! I'd take the "shortcut" through Ules anytime I could now. On a good day you can get a drink in the Centro Social or La Nicia

Monte Naranco back-catalog from our 2021 visit. It is the most beautiful place. I just hope it has recovered from the fires of last spring, which incidentally I see they have now charged someone with.
DSC04620-HDR.jpgDSC04635.jpgDSC04621-Edit.jpgDSC04662.jpgDSC04663.jpgDSC04665.jpgDSC04664.jpg

I asked before,we are doing the camino june,but we arrive very late at oviedo 9pm saturday ,we Booked a hotel,so where can we get 2 credentials and also if I need to send a luggage to oviedo,correos are open Sunday.thanks for your help

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I asked before,we are doing the camino june,but we arrive very late at oviedo 9pm saturday ,we Booked a hotel,so where can we get 2 credentials and also if I need to send a luggage to oviedo,correos are open Sunday.thanks for your help
Have you read the excellent information provided in this thread? You can purchase credencials by mail order from Ivar’s shop on this website. You can purchase credencials in person from the Cathedral in Oviedo, presumably on the Sunday immediately after Mass.

And no, Correos offices are not open on Sundays

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back