Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it qualified getting sellos with Credencial del Camino Primitivo issued by Lugo Monumental

Yuchu

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata
Hello, I plan start my Camino from Lugo, and there is a “Credencial del Camino Primitivo “ issued by Lugo Monumental.
Is it qualified the certification of Compostela with this kind of credential?

Attachments

• IMG_4947.jpeg
    IMG_4947.jpeg
    907.1 KB · Views: 1,295
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello, I plan start my Camino from Lugo, and there is a “Credencial del Camino Primitivo “ issued by Lugo Monumental.
Is it qualified the certification of Compostela with this kind of credential?
Lugo Monumental is not a name that appears on the Pilgrim Office website as a confraternity or association from which one can obtain a credencial, so there is the prospect that it isn't. You might be better served asking the question of the Pilgrim Office directly rather than through this forum. You can find contact details here: https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/.

If you are concerned, you can get a regular one as well and get both stamped and then keep the Lugo one as a souvenir and hand the regular one to the Pilgrim Office for your Compostela (you will get it back as second souvenir).

When I was walking the San Salvador this summer I had two credentials, one for the San Salvador and a regular one that was going all the way to Santiago. I got them both stamped (although I tended to get the regular one stamped once a day at the albergue and the San Salvador one stamped as often as I could).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No.

https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...o-credencial-obispado/0003_201602L18C1995.htm

El Arzobispado de Santiago rechazará a los peregrinos que salgan de Lugo avalados por la credencial del obispado lucense. Así lo anunció ayer la Coordinadora de la Oficina de Acogida al Peregrino de Santiago de Compostela, Montserrat Díaz, mediante un comunicado público al Obispado de Lugo diciéndole que rechazarían a los peregrinos provenientes de Lugo con la credencial de este obispado.

El comunicado de la oficina del peregrino, bajo las órdenes del deán de Santiago, Segundo Pérez, dice literalmente: «Nos sentimos en la obligación de comunicarles que, como se le informó a Don José Criado, en la reunión de Delegados y Agentes de Pastoral del Camino de Santiago, celebrada en Compostela el 20 de marzo de 2015, se le indicaron las condiciones que debería tener la credencial para ser admitida como válida para obtener la Compostela. Desde entonces el Cabildo de la Catedral, responsable de la acogida de los peregrinos en la meta, ha publicado una nota, con fecha 17 de diciembre de 2015, para poner orden en una situación que perjudica a los peregrinos. Así se les comunicó a ustedes y no han tomado nota. Por ello la credencial que ustedes han emitido no será aceptada por esta oficina de Acogida al Peregrino en ningún momento. Como pueden comprender esto constituye un serio inconveniente para los peregrinos, a los que explicaremos las razones de la no aceptación de esta credencial».

No.

https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...o-credencial-obispado/0003_201602L18C1995.htm

The Archbishopric of Santiago will reject pilgrims who leave Lugo endorsed by the credentials of the Lugo bishopric. This was announced yesterday by the Coordinator of the Pilgrim Reception Office of Santiago de Compostela, Montserrat Díaz, through a public statement to the Bishopric of Lugo telling it that they would reject pilgrims coming from Lugo with the credentials of this bishopric.

The statement from the pilgrim's office, under the orders of the dean of Santiago, Segundo Pérez, literally says: "We feel obliged to inform you that, as Don José Criado was informed, at the meeting of Delegates and Pastoral Agents of the Camino de Santiago, held in Compostela on March 20, 2015, the conditions that the credential should have to be accepted as valid to obtain the Compostela were indicated. Since then, the Cathedral Chapter, responsible for welcoming pilgrims at the finish line, has published a note, dated December 17, 2015, to put order in a situation that harms pilgrims. This was communicated to you and you have not taken note.Therefore, the credential that you have issued will not be accepted by this Pilgrim Reception office at any time. "As you can understand, this constitutes a serious inconvenience for pilgrims, to whom we will explain the reasons for not accepting this credential."
Translation here for the less fluent amongst us.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Translation here for the less fluent amongst us.
Thank you, it is the translation into English of a news article of the Voz de Galicia published on 18 February 2016 with the title (trans.): Santiago says it will reject pilgrims who leave Lugo with the credential of this bishopric.

However, already a month later, on 21 March 2016, the same newspaper published an article with this title (transl.): Lugo's credential, made official by the Santiago Cathedral. It starts with the sentence (transl.): The group of pilgrims who have been making the pilgrimage to Santiago since Thursday with the Lugo credential obtained the [Compostela] today in Santiago. The article starts with a photo of a group of 5 pilgrims who are holding their Compostelas into the camera - triumphantly, I would say.

And a further two months later, on 17 May 2016, the same newspaper publishes an article with the title (transl.): The Praetorians obtained the Compostela with Lugo's credential with a photo of about two dozen Roman soldiers in full uniform and with their swords and shields. The article confirms that they presented la credencial de Lugo editada por Lugo Monumental.

Yes, there was a spat between Santiago and Lugo more than seven years ago but it appears that they sorted it out quickly. Common sense would say that they hardly continued to issue their credencial for seven years now without us never hearing that it was refused by the good volunteers at the SdC during all this time. But what do I know. Will somebody actually ask the Office what the current state of affair is? 🤔

BTW, nice one here: La Diócesis de Lugo defiende que los obispos expiden credenciales a los fieles "desde los inicios de la historia", also published more than seven years ago on 18 February 2016.

The Diocese of Lugo wasn't going to accept an edict issued by the Santiago Pilgrim Office administration.

The Diocese of Lugo, they said, defends that the bishops issue credencials or similar documents to the faithful who depart from their dioceses "from the beginning of the history of the Church," with the aim of accrediting their status as Catholics or as pilgrims.

And the Diocese of Lugo wasn't going to discuss the issue through exchanges in newspaper articles. "We are confident that this issue will be resolved following the normal ecclesiastical channels," they said.

And I guess that is what they did. 😇

The Diocese of Lugo wasn't going to accept an edict issued by the Santiago Pilgrim Office administration.
That Diocese has no Authority to impose its views upon the Archdiocese.

Perhaps matters have changed, administratively, since then -- but the general rule remains that only those documents approved by the Cathedral are valid for the purposes in question.

I'm sure that those credenciales are fine for finding somewhere to sleep day-to-day ...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That Diocese has no Authority to impose its views upon the Archdiocese.

Perhaps matters have changed, administratively, since then -- but the general rule remains that only those documents approved by the Cathedral are valid for the purposes in question.

I'm sure that those credenciales are fine for finding somewhere to sleep day-to-day ...
It seems that what changed was that the Diocese proceeded to resolve the issue through normal ecclesiastical channels. At least according to the article published a month later that announced that the Cathedral was accepting the Lugo credencials.

I am surprised there could be "official" credentials, and "prohibited" or "non-recognized" ones.
In my opinion, the stamps matter, not there support.

I am surprised there could be "official" credentials, and "prohibited" or "non-recognized" ones.
Except that they don't. You need to use an officially recognized credencial to receive a Compostela.

From the Pilgrim Office

Therefore, the pilgrim’s Credencial can only be issued by the Church through its institutions (Bishopric, Parish, Confraternity, etc. or, in any case, through institutions that are authorised by the Church). This is the only way the “Compostela” can be awarded at the S.A.M.I. Cathedral of Santiago (Conference on the Holy Year: November 1993).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
First of all, someone has to tell the OP where he or she can get a credential in Lugo. Perhaps s/he can even enquire about the status of the two models - the Santiago Cathedral issued one and the Lugo issued one. Unless someone does email the Oficina for confirmation?

Secondly, by 2015, a situation concerning credentials was regarded as a problem by the Chapter of the Santiago Cathedral. They published a note in their Bulletin, addressed to the Camino associations so that they can inform their members of a change of policy. This note says at the beginning:

After extensive dialogue with many of the entities that issue credentials, and at the request of several of them, it has become necessary to address an issue that is seriously damaging the image of the Camino and the pilgrimage.

At present we receive more than 25 models of credentials, with prices ranging from free to twenty euros in some cases. They are even sold on the internet. Pastoral welcome, caring attention, and no service charges should be the fundamental objectives of our presence on the Camino and at the destination of the pilgrimage [=Cathedral of Santiago].

The Cathedral of Santiago has registered its own credential which should be considered the only valid one and whose price, for the pilgrim, cannot exceed 2 euros. The management of the credential cannot be carried out under commercial or profit-oriented criteria; the income that may derive from it, necessarily limited with the model that is established, must always be in favour of the best service and attention to the pilgrims.

The income that the Santiago Cathedral gets from selling their credencial for maximum €2 goes to the care for pilgrims; the income that Lugo gets from selling their credencial for €1 goes to Caritas in Lugo.

10 years ago or more there was a clampdown, as too many pilgrims were using privately produced credenciales made by entities not contributing the €2 per credencial for the upkeep of the Pilgrim Office and the financing of the compostela certificates -- which are not free, but they are financed when you obtain your credencial.

We did Primitivo a few years ago. Started in Oviedo with “normal” passport. From memory, our hotel in Lugo stamped the credential.
Looking at the trail above the issue is whether you get the one euro Lugo credential or the two euro normal one? Maybe as one of the people above suggested, just get both?😀

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, this was educational for me. I had no idea about "Approved" credentials.

I guess I got lucky by only buying mine from Ivar so far

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back