• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credentials in a Different Starting City

Geopatriot

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2015
I'm planning to arrive in Ourense on a Saturday afternoon from Madrid and start my Camino the following day. Can I secure my credentials in Madrid prior to arriving in Ourense? Since I arrive by train at 13:45 in Ourense, I'm thinking that it might be difficult to secure credentials on a late Saturday afternoon. Any suggestions?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm planning to arrive in Ourense on a Saturday afternoon from Madrid and start my Camino the following day. Can I secure my credentials in Madrid prior to arriving in Ourense? Since I arrive by train at 13:45 in Ourense, I'm thinking that it might be difficult to secure credentials on a late Saturday afternoon. Any suggestions?
Welcome to the forum!

If you want to get credencial in Madrid you will have to go to the center of Madrid, quite close to the Royal palace. Maybe it's better to obtain it in Ourense. I'm not sure if Xunta albergue has some (http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-de-peregrinos-de-ourense) but it's possible because Ourense is one of the starting points (100+kms) required to get the Compostela. Maybe try to contact the albergue?

Ultreia!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dear Friends, my question is not where to buy it. My question is "Can I buy it in a city that's different than my starting point?" Alternatively, is it easy to pick one up in Ourense on a Saturday late afternoon or Sunday morning? I read that the it's not always easy in Ourense. Thanks much for taking the time to respond.

Dear Friends, my question is not where to buy it. My question is "Can I buy it in a city that's different than my starting point?" ...

Yes, there is no rule that you have to buy your Credencial at your starting point. Buen Camino! SY

Dear Friends, my question is not where to buy it. My question is "Can I buy it in a city that's different than my starting point?" Alternatively, is it easy to pick one up in Ourense on a Saturday late afternoon or Sunday morning? I read that the it's not always easy in Ourense. Thanks much for taking the time to respond.
Ditto to SYates post. Although...

...I'm not an English native speaker, so please tell me if this sentence (from your OP!!!) is a question with exact location(s) mentioned or not:
"Can I secure my credentials in Madrid prior to arriving in Ourense?"
???
:eek:

Ultreia!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome to the forum!

If you want to get credencial in Madrid you will have to go to the center of Madrid, quite close to the Royal palace. Maybe it's better to obtain it in Ourense. I'm not sure if Xunta albergue has some (http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-de-peregrinos-de-ourense) but it's possible because Ourense is one of the starting points (100+kms) required to get the Compostela. Maybe try to contact the albergue?

Ultreia!

Hello, KinkyOne, Could you tell me more specifically where to get the credencial in Madrid? I will arrive in Madrid next week on May 26 and my hotel (Urban Sea Atocha113) is near the train station. I had planned to get my credencial the next day in Pamplona, but it might be nice to get it while I am in Madrid. Thanks!

Hello, KinkyOne, Could you tell me more specifically where to get the credencial in Madrid? I will arrive in Madrid next week on May 26 and my hotel (Urban Sea Atocha113) is near the train station. I had planned to get my credencial the next day in Pamplona, but it might be nice to get it while I am in Madrid. Thanks!
Hola, MaryLynn!

In Madrid you can obtain credencial at Iglesia de Santiago y San Juan at the Plaza de Santiago (very close to Cathedral and Royal Palace). From your hotel it's app.20min walk (1,6km) NW on Calle de Atocha. Google it and you'll see it's really easy. Don't know the opening hours though. When I was there last year it was closed, most possible because of festivities in the time of coronation of a new king.

But maybe it would be easier to go to Asociación de Amigos de los Caminos de Santiago de Madrid: http://www.demadridalcamino.org/
They are opened Tue&Thu 19:00-21:00, Wed 11:00-12:30 & 19:00-21:00. The address is Calle de Carretas 14 and is in the same direction as already mentioned but only 1km from your hotel.

Ultreia!

Hola, MaryLynn!

In Madrid you can obtain credencial at Iglesia de Santiago y San Juan at the Plaza de Santiago (very close to Cathedral and Royal Palace). From your hotel it's app.20min walk (1,6km) NW on Calle de Atocha. Google it and you'll see it's really easy. Don't know the opening hours though. When I was there last year it was closed, most possible because of festivities in the time of coronation of a new king.

But maybe it would be easier to go to Asociación de Amigos de los Caminos de Santiago de Madrid: http://www.demadridalcamino.org/
They are opened Tue&Thu 19:00-21:00, Wed 11:00-12:30 & 19:00-21:00. The address is Calle de Carretas 14 and is in the same direction as already mentioned but only 1km from your hotel.

Ultreia!
Thank you so much for your quick reply! I will Google the addresses and print out maps. I got turned around once in the Plaza Mayor and it took me an hour to find my way back to Calle Atocha! I appreciate your help!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Buen Camino everyone. What is usually the plan once you reach Santiago. Can people walk back and stay at alberges on the return leg of the trip? Or do people just bus or train back to the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back