• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Current or Soon to be Walking Frances Who Can Get Answers?

diggs

Time of past OR future Camino
April - May 2016
Hello All, I am trying to gather information regarding overnights along Camino Frances, starting at SJPP. The question I would like someone to ask along the way and report back is...how accepted are service dogs at the local hotels and Albergues/Refugios? This would be as easy as asking when checking in to your location. From my service dog thread and got mixed advice on whether to bring the dog or not. I might not have a choice in the matter as my dog sitter has fallen through. I plan on walking April - May. By the way, he is a real service dog, not a therapy dog. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!Silver Grill.JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Members, please be aware that @diggs has already engaged in a lengthy Thread on the issue of taking a dog (service or otherwise) on the Camino. This is a subject that has been frequently and thoroughly exercised. @diggs is asking that members, currently or in the near future on the Camino Frances, ask the pertinent question of accommodation providers "will you admit my dog?".

Members are asked to please respond to the OP's request or refrain from chucking another thru'pence in the works.

I would add a smiley :) but I shouldn't have too.

Edited to remove reference to a deleted post

Last edited:
I have seen a number of dogs on the Camino. Their owners either used a tent (this dog was on his 3rd Camino), or planned months ahead of time and made reservations in pensiones/hotels (this couple had 2 Spanish Water Dogs). Another was allowed to stay in some albergues but with the dog out in the yard (Santo Domingo de la Calzada for example). Now, would you find more accommodations because of your dog's special status? I don't know but I'm sure that if you start emailing albergues were you think you may want to spend the night they will respond, especially now as it's still low season. A call to the Consulate/Embassy may also inform you on the National rules about service dogs. Best of luck to you. And BTW, that is a beautiful Lab! A lovely head.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello All, I am trying to gather information regarding overnights along Camino Frances, starting at SJPP. appreciated!!!!View attachment 23650

I was tying to find info for you and replies seem to be mixed over the internet but found a thread on here "Traveling the Camino de Santiago with a service dog" in which Rebekah Scott and Falcon both have good information that may be helpful. Perhaps you could contact them and see if they have any updated information that may be helpful? I don't know if since their postings any rules have changed.
Buen Camino to you both :)

Sorry. Just re read your post stating you have read the forum information. Hope you are able to get the information you need.

I had conversations with two dog-accompanied pilgrims on this on my last two Caminos. A German teacher told me that he decided that he would just take hotel rooms in places which accepted dogs; his Spanish was fairly good for calling ahead and booking, and by Triacastela, he had encountered no problem. I had dinner with him at three places and, in all of them, waiters brought out bones for the dog's dinner. The other was a Slovenian woman who slept outside albergues with the dog and her friend-- none of them would admit the dog to the dormitories and she never asked that they do so-- she told me that she knew that many people were very uncomfortable with dogs. On a few occasions, the hospitaleros let them sleep in an outbuilding. I would note that, in both circumstances, the dogs were very well-behaved and affectionate-- the Slovenian dog was of such a disposition that he made friends with the most vicious-looking guard dogs and mutts along the way--- I have never seen anything like it.

While I am not a fan of taking dogs on the Camino (my fuller opinions on this are available on other threads), it seems that it can be done provided you are willing to: a) get a hotel room or b) sleep outside. In the case of a), you would be advised to learn a few basic sentences in Spanish to make clear to innkeepers what you are requesting and, if they are not receptive, to ask them to recommend somewhere else in the pueblo. I have found that turismos are very happy to be of help (well, not in Santander, where I found them a bit grumpy). As well, I have a vague memory that there is an English dog-owning tourist guide to beast-friendly accommodation--- a quick google did not find it, but perhaps other forum members may be aware of it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had conversations with two dog-accompanied pilgrims on this on my last two Caminos. A German teacher told me that he decided that he would just take hotel rooms in places which accepted dogs; his Spanish was fairly good for calling ahead and booking, and by Triacastela, he had encountered no problem. I had dinner with him at three places and, in all of them, waiters brought out bones for the dog's dinner. The other was a Slovenian woman who slept outside albergues with the dog and her friend-- none of them would admit the dog to the dormitories and she never asked that they do so-- she told me that she knew that many people were very uncomfortable with dogs. On a few occasions, the hospitaleros let them sleep in an outbuilding. I would note that, in both circumstances, the dogs were very well-behaved and affectionate-- the Slovenian dog was of such a disposition that he made friends with the most vicious-looking guard dogs and mutts along the way--- I have never seen anything like it.

While I am not a fan of taking dogs on the Camino (my fuller opinions on this are available on other threads), it seems that it can be done provided you are willing to: a) get a hotel room or b) sleep outside. In the case of a), you would be advised to learn a few basic sentences in Spanish to make clear to innkeepers what you are requesting and, if they are not receptive, to ask them to recommend somewhere else in the pueblo. I have found that turismos are very happy to be of help (well, not in Santander, where I found them a bit grumpy). As well, I have a vague memory that there is an English dog-owning tourist guide to beast-friendly accommodation--- a quick google did not find it, but perhaps other forum members may be aware of it.

Thank you, Oursonpolaire! This is good information. I will definitely consider it. Cheers!

The web page of the Spanish association for the blind has a lot of information about the right to bring a service dog to public places. Perhaps you could ask them about the legalities and/or recommendations? Their webpage is www.once.es .

Thank you, Heidi!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello All, I am trying to gather information regarding overnights along Camino Frances, starting at SJPP. The question I would like someone to ask along the way and report back is...how accepted are service dogs at the local hotels and Albergues/Refugios? This would be as easy as asking when checking in to your location. From my service dog thread and got mixed advice on whether to bring the dog or not. I might not have a choice in the matter as my dog sitter has fallen through. I plan on walking April - May. By the way, he is a real service dog, not a therapy dog. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!View attachment 23650
I will see you out there, Diggs, I start April 1st from StJPP. buen Camino

I will see you out there, Diggs, I start April 1st from StJPP. buen Camino
Hello Gypsywind, I won't be starting until after April 7th at the earliest, most likely mid April. If you are taking a leisurely pace, I may catch you. It is looking like I'm going to be the guy with the black Labrador retriever.

Buen Camino!

I hope all workout for you please don't forget to train your dog to walk long distances :)

zzotte

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello All, I am trying to gather information regarding overnights along Camino Frances, starting at SJPP. The question I would like someone to ask along the way and report back is...how accepted are service dogs at the local hotels and Albergues/Refugios? This would be as easy as asking when checking in to your location. From my service dog thread and got mixed advice on whether to bring the dog or not. I might not have a choice in the matter as my dog sitter has fallen through. I plan on walking April - May. By the way, he is a real service dog, not a therapy dog. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!View attachment 23650
I volunteered at a hostel last year and we had two people arrive with dogs -they were happy for them to stay and for the dogs to sleep in the hallway or outside -but they were most def welcomed .this hostel was in Pieros -can give details if needed
Buen camino

I volunteered at a hostel last year and we had two people arrive with dogs -they were happy for them to stay and for the dogs to sleep in the hallway or outside -but they were most def welcomed .this hostel was in Pieros -can give details if needed
Buen camino
That is great news! Yes, details would be nice. Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The hostel was called -El serbal y la Luna-in Pieros about a15 minute walk out of Cacabelos

@diggs, I thought that it was well established that a service dog couldn't be excluded from albergues, restaurants, bars, etc. That doesn't mean that the logistics of bringing a dog aren't going to be more difficult, but then I suspect most of us wouldn't have been walking with supporting a dog in mind. For example, I think that I was rather preoccupied with watching out for human food, and paying no attention whatsoever to whether places were able to provide for a dog.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@diggs, I thought that it was well established that a service dog couldn't be excluded from albergues, restaurants, bars, etc. That doesn't mean that the logistics of bringing a dog aren't going to be more difficult, but then I suspect most of us wouldn't have been walking with supporting a dog in mind. For example, I think that I was rather preoccupied with watching out for human food, and paying no attention whatsoever to whether places were able to provide for a dog.

Hi Doug, yes, indeed service dogs are by law to be accepted. Every once in a while I run into an establishment that hasn't trained their staff in current laws regarding this.

All:

Thank you so much for the information and suggestions. My time to begin my Camino is nearing and after much deliberation and considerations, I have decided to leave my service dog with my sister in Paris.

I begin my journey April 5th from SJPP.

Cheers!

Diggs...If you have any questions call me...but I have enclosed the map of the Pyrenees Mountains crossing that I promised you...I have given you most of my warnings on the Route of Napoleon...so if the weather is bad please consider the much less used but safer lower route through Valcarlos...Refuge Orisson is at point #4 which breaks the climb nicely if you don't want to cross all in one day and the treeline is just after Refuse Orisson...also note that the only public water available before Refuge Orisson is near where the off-road trail connects back to the road before point #3 and is very easy to miss...almost all of the uphill hike is on narrow mountain road until the Croix at point #6 so many Pilgrims take a taxi or shuttle like Express Bourricot (http://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/) to the Criox at point #6 and then hike from there...note that the worse place to encounter bad weather (wind and rain) is between Refuge Orisson at point #4 and the Croix at point #6...if you are lucky before the Croix at point #6 there will be van selling warm drinks, boiled eggs, bananas, etc which is the best type of breakfast you will find in Spain...after the Croix at point #6 you go over the pass at the top of the hill and then the trail is not as exposed and actually goes through the woods and farther on you climb to anther pass with a sitting bench at point #9...basically from the Croix at point #6 to the sitting bench at point #9 the trail looks very similar to mountain trails in Colorado...at the sitting bench at point #9 I recommend the much lesser used dirt mountain road to the right towards Chapelle Roland at point #10...also near the Chapelle Roland there are the remains of WWII bunkers...if you choose the much more traveled trail to the left after the sitting bench at point #9 which is shorter but you will learn not to like the Italian and Spanish mountain bikers that race down the mountain and pass close to you without any warning...in Roncevaux I recommend staying at either the Albergue #8 or Guest House Los Posada #10 which you will recognize from the movie...also Los Posada serves an excellent lunch my favorite was the omelette sandwich but don't miss their amazing Pilgrim Dinner and you need to buy tickets in advance (9 euros) to make sure you will have a seat...the early Pilgrim Dinner at Los Posada is approximately 6:00 pm and the Pilgrim Mass with blessing at the Cathedral is at 8:00 pm...and the best breakfast buffet with eggs is at the Hotel #11 and I reccomend you steal a couple of hard boiled eggs for lunch and this will be the last eggs you see for breakfast until you near Santiago...after Roncevaux just start following the yellow arrows and the other Pilgrims will help you...I lost the Camino six times in the first four hours and it is all part of learning but after a few days you will be able to track the Camino without any yellow arrows...but I recommend a small 1/2" compass attached to your jacket so later you don't get disoriented in the rain...otherwise as you approach Pamplona I recommend the large nature trail along the river and not the poorly maintained traditional trail which I had a bad experience on while entering Pamplona...also when you enter Burgos it is very difficult to find and follow the Camino and there are many taxi signs along the trail...my recommendation is just keep hiking the main road through the warehouse district until you get to near the center of town and then follow any signs or ask for directions to the Cathedral or just take a taxi to the Cathedral...also make sure you have reservations in SJPDP, Refuge Orisson, and Roncevaux...other than that just keep following the yellow arrows and the rest is up to you...Kurt

Attachments

• LES PORTS DE CIZE.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • Roncevaux.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Diggs
If you get in a bind fly up to Mt with your dog my wife & I can watch him here in Missoula. We have space & walk every day with our dog "Tess"

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you get in a bind fly up to Mt with your dog my wife & I can watch him here in Missoula.

@diggs - I told you...Pilgrims are willing to help...and you're not even in Spain yet. - Kurt

Diggs
If you get in a bind fly up to Mt with your dog my wife & I can watch him here in Missoula. We have space & walk every day with our dog "Tess"

Thanks for the kind an generous offer! He is going to stay with my sister who lives just north of Paris. After the Camino he and I are going to tour through Europe. Another adventure.

Cheers!

Not quite sure how helpful this information is, but when I walked the Camino in 2014, there was a family from Finland with a service dog (husband was blind) and they did not seem to have trouble finding lodging. I walked along with them for 2 to 3 days.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not quite sure how helpful this information is, but when I walked the Camino in 2014, there was a family from Finland with a service dog (husband was blind) and they did not seem to have trouble finding lodging. I walked along with them for 2 to 3 days.

THANK YOU, GREG! I have made a decision not to bring my dog due to the number of hotels/albergues I have reached out to and been rejected. Cheers!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back