• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Currently on the Aragonés?

Adelina

Adelina
Time of past OR future Camino
'18 Astor-Stgo '19 St Jean-Carrion '22 Porto-Stgo
Leaving the US tomorrow to walk the Aragonés, and wondering if anyone is currently walking in the area. Please send insights regarding weather, pilgrims, stays, Jaca to San Juan Monasteries, and anything else you would like to share.

Will be returning to serve at Albergue Elías Valiña in Canfranc from May 15-31 & hoping to see some of you there.

Buen camino to all present and future pilgrims!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Leaving the US tomorrow to walk the Aragonés, and wondering if anyone is currently walking in the area. Please send insights regarding weather, pilgrims, stays, Jaca to San Juan Monasteries, and anything else you would like to share.

Will be returning to serve at Albergue Elías Valiña in Canfranc from May 15-31 & hoping to see some of you there.

Hi @Adelina - I think we will see you at Canfranc. We expect to be stopping there during your time as hospitalero. Look forward to meeting you. I have walked the Aragones twice before, but I don't have any current information - other than it's a beautiful path! Enjoy.

I too will be there during your time at Canfranc! I hope you have a lovely camino and I look forward to meeting you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am serving in Canfranc from July 1 to 15. Currently bumping into issues with local transportation, i.e. buses and trains; I assume because of the number of tourists in the region for the start of the Tour de France in Bilbao. I definitely would recommend a visit to St. Juan de la Pena, but the walk there from Jaca or St. Cilia is a killer. My recommendation is to book a taxi.

Last edited:

Wonderful albergue and wonderful Camino. Walked last October so I can't give you any updates but you can always check a weather app. I could not go to the Monastery because there was a festival going on in Jaca. Buses weren't running the next day. Went to the tourist office and they told me a taxi was 50-60 Euros. Do not know if that is the normal price or it was because there was a festival. They suggested I split a cab with other pilgrims. Problem was no other pilgrim came into the tourist office that day and I was the only pilgrim in the albergue that night. The only other pilgrims I met was a married couple from Germany. A few nights they slept in the albergue with me and other nights in pensions. Late October just before virtually all the albergues close is a wonderful but solitary time on the Aragones. First night in Canfranc was a treat. Wonderful walk that first day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Gracias por la información!! Espero que no haiga tanta gente ya que es primavera.

We were there in the last half of July '22 as hospitaleros at Canfranc Pueblo and it was never "crowded". I think the most we had total was only 7. Maybe 8? It was crowded in the town and in the area and plenty of non-pilgrim tourists/hikers who would have loved to stay at the albergue. I know that @FireDragon walked this way a couple of weeks ago. He did say the albergue at Sanguesa was full the night he stayed there.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Adelina, although several pilgrims from past years have mentioned a bus up to the San Juan Monasteries , we were told last summer that there were no buses. We took a cab up to visit (well worth it) and then walked down to Santa Cruz de los Seros. I would discourage you from taking the Camino path down. It is very rocky and steep. At one point there is a cable on the cliff face for you to hang onto as you shuffle along the narrow passage. The road is a little longer, but less traveled.

Also make sure you have plenty of water with you after Arrés. No functioning potable fountains on the Camino pathway.

Lots of cool stuff on this Camino. If you detour to Javier before Sanguesa, the castle and basilica are very cool. If you go to Yesa, maybe make a trip up to the Monasterio de Leyre for Mass with Gregorian Chanting? There is a hotel up there which is nice and the views are beautiful. There is also the Lumbier Gorge which we missed last year.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses! This helps me a lot (as did your previous PMs regarding the albergue). I truly appreciate this forum's responsiveness and resourcefulness. Como simper, gracias.

I wonder if anyone attempts going to sta cruz and San Juan from start cilia?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The roundtrip from Santa Cilia to San Juan de la Peña and back makes a nice day trip on foot. In the past, the Santa’s Cilia albergue has allowed pilgrims to stay two nights if you are visiting the monastery.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.