Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cycling the camino - what to do with the bike case?

boaty

Nov 15, 2017
Time of past OR future Camino
cycling leon to santiago in spring (2018)
I'm planning to cycle the Camino next spring and was wondering what other cyclists have done with their bike cases if they have flown with their own bike. I saw one website that suggested posting it on arrival to the end of the route but couldn't find a courier firm that would take it, due to size.
I did think of getting the train from Santiago to Leon at the start of my trip and trying to leave it in santiago somewhere but then i read that i'd need the case for my bike on the trains in spain. Is this right?
I'd rather not hire a bike as it pushes my budget up quite a lot.
All helpful suggestions gratefully received :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oct 8, 2012
Illawarra Region NSW Australia
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
I'm planning to cycle the Camino next spring and was wondering what other cyclists have done with their bike cases if they have flown with their own bike. I saw one website that suggested posting it on arrival to the end of the route but couldn't find a courier firm that would take it, due to size.
I did think of getting the train from Santiago to Leon at the start of my trip and trying to leave it in santiago somewhere but then i read that i'd need the case for my bike on the trains in spain. Is this right?
I'd rather not hire a bike as it pushes my budget up quite a lot.
All helpful suggestions gratefully received :)

What type of "bike cases" are you referring too? I brought my cycle from Australia (back in 2015) I obtained a cardboard "bike box" from my local cycle shop (one that had been used to deliver a new bike). After 25 plane hours and a train from Madrid to Pamplona it had serve its purpose and went to recycle. In Santiago I just went to the number one cycle shop (velocpedo!) (its on the camino frances) who organised another box and transport back to Madrid. So as to return the favour I then took my bike back to my local cycle shop to have it serviced after the 650 km ride and let them have that box.

If you have one of those "professional" (re-usable) ones then yes you might need to mail it to Ivar in Santiago. On the question of packing your bike for either a train or bus - then yes you will need to have the bike in a box of some description. If you travel by bus you will need to advise them about the bike and you will be charged a E1 fee to carry the bike - but be careful only 2 bikes usually permitted on the bus.So if you are number 3 your bike may not travel and you don't get your money back. Not sure about which trains do the Santiago - Leon trip that will permit you to bring your bike. But from memory - no bikes on the AVE trains; on the Media Distance trains yes to bikes - but must be less that 1200 mm (4 feet) in length when packed in its box. Best of luck!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Jan 19, 2013
Carnarvon W Australia
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
For my VdLP 2017 I shipped my bike from Australia in a standard EVOC bike bag. Booked the bus from Madrid to Seville on line, and I think paid a 5E fee for the bike. Stayed at Triana Backpackers who forwarded my EVOC to Santiago hotel for me, and it was waiting for me when I arrived.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.