• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day 1: Norte vs Frances

Drewcaplan

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi. I’ve seen posts comparing Norte and Frances, but my specific question is how the Day 1 compares. For me Day 1 was the hardest on the Frances (SJPdP to Roncevalles). I know that Irun to St. Sebastián is also difficult. How much harder is the latter on an obviously subjective basis? Thx.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It depends on if you take the "Purgatorio" route or the lower route through the forest when leaving Irun. You can also split the stage by staying at the albergue in Pasaia. That will give you a short day to San Sebastián si that you have more time to enjoy that city.

One big hill; several smaller hills. You're either gonna walk it or you ain't.

My entirely subjective view is "what's the question?" The actual profiles are readily available on Gronze or a plethora of apps. And, like the Frances, the Norte offers alternative routes that provide for choices. Choose.
Super unhelpful. Why bother replying?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi. I’ve seen posts comparing Norte and Frances, but my specific question is how the Day 1 compares. For me Day 1 was the hardest on the Frances (SJPdP to Roncevalles). I know that Irun to St. Sebastián is also difficult. How much harder is the latter on an obviously subjective basis? Thx.
SJPP to Roncesvalles was one part then over. I found the del Norte to be more challenging overall. Constantly ascending & descending. I also did Camino Lebaniego and that was very difficult but so beautiful. I live in SW Florida which is sea level so I don’t have the opportunity to train with elevation or altitudes. I never saw anyone struggling… but I only ever saw 13 other pilgrims. It’s very lonely in comparison to Frances.

I am currently walking the Camino Norte. I found the first day of the Frances longer and harder however the following 5 days have been significantly harder on the Norte.

It might well be helpful for the person just beginning to research possibilities. A strapping redheaded roller derbista of my acquaintance has from time to time trained RCAF cadets and reminds me that there are no stupid questions except the ones which weren't asked.

And for my two centimos-- the first day out of Irun to San Juan is nowhere as system-shocking as the day to Roncesvalles, but the first week is much much more arduous than the first week of the Francese. I tend to advise against comparing the two-- they are very different animals.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am currently walking the Camino Norte. I found the first day of the Frances longer and harder however the following 5 days have been significantly harder on the Norte.
Do you kind sharing your stages for the days you have walked so far, please. Thank you kindly!

Do you kind sharing your stages for the days you have walked so far, please. Thank you kindly!
Every stage so far has been very hilly and steep. Going downhill is particularly hard on my feet. Martina-Xemein to Guernica was the hardest in my opinion. We arrived in Guernica to find the albergues are closed so be prepared to go further. We caught the train from there to Bilbao as did other walkers. A great stop is Ibiri. An amazing albergue. Had a great time.

SJPP to Roncesvalles was one part then over. I found the del Norte to be more challenging overall. Constantly ascending & descending. I also did Camino Lebaniego and that was very difficult but so beautiful. I live in SW Florida which is sea level so I don’t have the opportunity to train with elevation or altitudes. I never saw anyone struggling… but I only ever saw 13 other pilgrims. It’s very lonely in comparison to Frances.
Every stage so far has been very hilly and steep. Going downhill is particularly hard on my feet. Martina-Xemein to Guernica was the hardest in my opinion. We arrived in Guernica to find the albergues are closed so be prepared to go further. We caught the train from there to Bilbao as did other walkers. A great stop is Ibiri. An amazing albergue. Had a great time.
Thank you kindly! Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I thought I’d made the distinction quite clear: St J to Roncesvalles, one big hill to climb over. Irun to San Sebastián several smaller hills in rapid succession. The combined ascent and descent making the Norte, probably, more challenging. My, I thought encouraging if not actually helpful comment, is that, if you are seriously intending to walk any Camino the nature of the terrain is irrelevant to the decision. Harder, shorter, longer, flatter, steeper: Nothing will change the height or angles of any hill. Just lace your boots, trim your pack and go walk it

It might well be helpful for the person just beginning to research possibilities. A strapping redheaded roller derbista of my acquaintance has from time to time trained RCAF cadets and reminds me that there are no stupid questions except the ones which weren't asked.

And for my two centimos-- the first day out of Irun to San Juan is nowhere as system-shocking as the day to Roncesvalles, but the first week is much much more arduous than the first week of the Francese. I tend to advise against comparing the two-- they are very different animals.
Very helpful thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you don’t have to walk every step on the “official” Camino, then look for the trails along the north coast that hug the cliffs and beaches for some amazingly beautiful scenery. I used Buen Camino to follow the blue path, but found a friend who had better luck using Gronze for the best oceanside paths.
Of course, take the high route from Irun to Pasaia to San Sebastián. It is a beautiful way to start the Camino. I detoured to Oviedo and took the Primitivo. It is also awesome.
If you have decent knees, you will have no problems.

If you don’t have to walk every step on the “official” Camino, then look for the trails along the north coast that hug the cliffs and beaches for some amazingly beautiful scenery. I used Buen Camino to follow the blue path, but found a friend who had better luck using Gronze for the best oceanside paths.
Wise Pilgrim shows more coastal paths, like the one leaving Santander.
I also used mapy.cz for alternatives.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.