• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day trips from Santiago?

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Spring 2022
CP Spring 2024
(I'm sure this has been asked here before, but I couldn't find any previous threads in search - apologies if I missed something!)

I'm shoring up my travel plans for my upcoming CP this spring and it looks like I will have 3-4 days at the end of my walk once I reach Santiago before meeting family there and traveling to Madrid. I'm looking for suggestions on places to visit during those few days.

Of course, walking to Muxia is an idea. I walked to Fisterra two years ago after my CF. I don't especially want to walk those same first few days out of Santiago again, but I may take a bus to Hospital / Dumbria and walk to Muxia from there, and then perhaps walk from Muxia to Fisterra and return to Santiago. So that's an option. But as this will only be my second trip to Spain, I'm also wondering about the possibiliuty of staying in Santiago for four nights and using it as a base for day trips to other cities in the region.

I'm particularly interested in Ourense for the hot springs. Lugo and A Coruña are options as well, And I'm sure there are other towns and villages in the region that are worth a day trip from Santiago. To those who know the region better than I do: what are some of your favorite places near Santiago, particularly ones that aren't on the main CF or CP routes?

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There's some really stunning beaches west of A Curona. The Rias Altas. It's not that far but you might need to rent a car to get up there easily for a day trip. They mention it at the top of this article from the guardian:

I just drove past them, but they looked stunning. And also, not really a day trip as much as another big walk, but the Lighthouse Trail.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@SeñorJacques , just a thought - if you have three days why not actually walk the Inglés from A Coruna?

For some reason. I hadn't even considered that, probably because I had the idea that the Inglés was much longer than it actually is. But it looks like I could walk from A Coruña back to Santiago in four days, or "all the way" from Ferrol to Santiago (and earn another Compestela in the process) in five. This is now on the top of my list of things to think about. Thanks for the suggestion!

Our favorite tapas bar from 3 1/2 months on caminos is O Barallete in Ourense, if you go to Ourense for the baths.

A possibility, as an alternative to walking the Camino Inglés, would be to take the train to Ourense, and walk to Santiago - it's barely over 100K on the Camino Sanabrés and qualifies for a compostela. It's a very pretty route with the magnificent Oseira Monastery along the way (but no ocean like you'd get walking from A Coruña or Ferrol).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Our favorite tapas bar from 3 1/2 months on caminos is O Barallete in Ourense, if you go to Ourense for the baths.

A possibility, as an alternative to walking the Camino Inglés, would be to take the train to Ourense, and walk to Santiago - it's barely over 100K on the Camino Sanabrés and qualifies for a compostela. It's a very pretty route with the magnificent Oseira Monastery along the way (but no ocean like you'd get walking from A Coruña or Ferrol).

The Sanabrés is yet another option I hadn't considered! Decisions, decisions ...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
One place that appears to get ignored in Santiago is the Ciudad de Cultura. On a hill to the south west of the city. Accessible by bus (although this stops at 1.30pm on a Saturday). This is a huge modern cultural centre which must have cost a fortune to build but with hardly any visitors (when i was there). Interesting to walk round to see the buildings, a few exhibitions, + there was a youth orchestra performing. Nice views towards santiago and then walk back into the city.

I would add that the closest town on the sea to Santiago is Noia, with Muros right across the ria. They are both lovely towns with a lot of history, and if you're still interested in walking, the Noia/Muros Camino is official now too, and a shorter walk than the Ingles or Sanabres...

One place that appears to get ignored in Santiago is the Ciudad de Cultura. On a hill to the south west of the city. Accessible by bus (although this stops at 1.30pm on a Saturday). This is a huge modern cultural centre which must have cost a fortune to build but with hardly any visitors (when i was there). Interesting to walk round to see the buildings, a few exhibitions, + there was a youth orchestra performing. Nice views towards santiago and then walk back into the city.
Yes, we toured this during our time in Language School in Santiago summer of 2019. The exhibitions do change to some degree. Very interesting and nice grounds around this area.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
(I'm sure this has been asked here before, but I couldn't find any previous threads in search - apologies if I missed something!)

I'm shoring up my travel plans for my upcoming CP this spring and it looks like I will have 3-4 days at the end of my walk once I reach Santiago before meeting family there and traveling to Madrid. I'm looking for suggestions on places to visit during those few days.

Of course, walking to Muxia is an idea. I walked to Fisterra two years ago after my CF. I don't especially want to walk those same first few days out of Santiago again, but I may take a bus to Hospital / Dumbria and walk to Muxia from there, and then perhaps walk from Muxia to Fisterra and return to Santiago. So that's an option. But as this will only be my second trip to Spain, I'm also wondering about the possibiliuty of staying in Santiago for four nights and using it as a base for day trips to other cities in the region.

I'm particularly interested in Ourense for the hot springs. Lugo and A Coruña are options as well, And I'm sure there are other towns and villages in the region that are worth a day trip from Santiago. To those who know the region better than I do: what are some of your favorite places near Santiago, particularly ones that aren't on the main CF or CP routes?
Lugo is worth a walk around its intact Roman city wall about 2kms, A Coruna has one of the world's oldest lighthouses worth the climb quite a nice place to overnight and explore train from SdeC

A couple of other beautiful places to visit on the west coast of Galicia:

The old Celtic ruins Castro de Baroña (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castro_de_Baroña) and nearby town Porto do Son. You may need a rental car for this one, though.

Isla de Arousa, which is a walk across the bridge from Villagarcia de Arousa. You can get to Villagarcia de Arousa by train. This is a small, walkable island with beaches, a port, restaurants, and shops.

If you haven't been to La Coruña, though, I'd highly recommend a day or or even two there. There's so much to do there - a long paseo marítimo, the Torre de Hercules lighthouse, Monte de San Pedro hill park, the octopus mosaic statue, Plaza de Maria Pita and its pedestrian shopping and eating district, and museums.

Buen Camino!

@SeñorJacques I was wrong! The Isla de Arousa is a walk across the bridge from Vilanova de Arousa, not Villagarcia de Arousa. Villagarcia de Arousa is farther away. So again, if you want to visit the island you may need a rental car :).

Last edited:
Your plan to explore the area around Santiago after your Camino sounds wonderful! Given your interest in not retracing your steps too closely but still wanting to make the most of your time, branching out from Santiago for day trips is a great idea. Ourense is indeed a fantastic choice if you're looking to relax in natural hot springs.
The city's thermal baths are a delightful way to unwind after your pilgrimage. Lugo, with its fully intact Roman walls, offers a unique historical perspective, while A Coruña, with its beautiful coastline and the Tower of Hercules, provides a scenic maritime experience.
For more travel ideas and lodging options, feel free to check out www.losaltosresort.com. Safe travels, and I hope you have an incredible journey!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back