• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SdeC to Padron: A Day Trip

Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
I have a day open at the end of my late October Camino, and am thinking of taking an out-and-back day trip to Padron. (Never been to Padron.) Looks like there are frequent train and bus connections. Any suggestions, recommendations?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Definitely do it if you have the time. Of course, visit THE “padron” in the Santiago church and cross the bridge to visit the Carmelite convent. The hike up the hill behind the convent is also quite nice with several pilgrim-related spots to visit. If you are early enough, the town marketplace still functions as a real market rather than simply for tourists.

Good Idea.
I am also interested in the answer because I will also have a spare day by the beginning of November, and I would like to visit Padrón, not only for the pimientos, but also because it is the ancient Iria Flavia, where the stone boat supposed to carry Santiago body would have arrived...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked this route from Padron up to Santiago at the end of my Camino Portuguese in March this year but last November, like you, I was in Santiago with a day to spare and I decided to go to Padron and walk back to Santiago. When I did that I took a cab from Santiago to the centre of Padron which cost about 25 euros. The walk is around 26kms and is gently uphill all the way which seems sort of fitting as the last stage of a pilgrimage! It is a beautiful walk and well worth taking the time to complete. Having walked the Camino Frances twice now, in my opinion, this last stage of the Camino Portuguese is way nicer than the last stage of the Frances into Santiago……in fact I also think that applies to the entire stretch of the Camino Portuguese in Galicia, far more beautiful and interesting than the Frances in Galicia. They’re all fantastic and Galicia generally is a magnificent part of the world but the Portuguese is the winner for me! Buen Camino!

ps When you come across the twin markers in the photo below on the outskirts of Santiago, go left!

Attachments

• IMG_2809.jpeg
    IMG_2809.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2314.jpeg
    IMG_2314.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2317.jpeg
    IMG_2317.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 14
I have a day open at the end of my late October Camino, and am thinking of taking an out-and-back day trip to Padron. (Never been to Padron.) Looks like there are frequent train and bus connections. Any suggestions, recommendations?
Bus Monbus make sure you Ck the schedule

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
See the attached brochure. There is also a certificate you can print out and fill out if you visit all of the landmarks.
Enjoy

Attachments

• Padron guia turistica ingles.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 12
  • pedronia modelo_Cerificado Padron.pdf
    343.2 KB · Views: 5
The main things to see from my perspective were those associated with St. James.
There is the mooring stone to which the stone boat carrying his remains was tied. Up the hill is the site where he waxed evangelical.

And, of course, there are the peppers to try, although I don't know if they will be in season when you are there.

It is a nice day trip. In addition to the things mentioned by the others, the Rosalia de Castro house museum is also very nice, a great way to learn more about this very special Galician poet and writer. I remember going kayaking there, too, on a beautiful sunny day, though I’m not sure kayak rentals would still be going on in late October.

The Casa Museo Rosalia de Castro has been modernized and is a compelling, small museum about Rosalia and the modern cultural history of Galicia. Right by the train station (if that is how you come down from Santiago).
The tree-lined plaza (Rua Castelão) along the Rio Sar is a nice place to walk or sit, and the monument to the author Camilo José Cela is, well, monumental, on par with his ego. A block away we had one of very best meals of our Camino at the Pulperia Rial.
There is a Cela museum too, which we have not visited, and a Michelin star restaurant, O Pazo, about 2.5 km up the hill toward Santiago. (Great, but some mental – if not physical – distance from the Camino.)

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.