• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Debit card Help!

Shirley Prisco

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
I am currently in Logronos and have been trying to use my debit card to get Euros. I have never had a problem with it before in Europe but here I am being denied. Any advice would be appreciated. I have checked with my bank and everything is ok on their end. I've tried multiple locations and banks. Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, its rather late in Logrono right now. In the morning I would try going into one of the banks and asking them why it will n0t work. I'm assuming that you have your correct pin etc. You may have to reset your pin with your bank but talk to the local teller at a bank first.....

My debit works in certain Spanish banks, not in others. Perhpas you have not yet found the one that accept your card? Fingers crossed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have rarely used a debit card in Europe, largely because at home it does not work on other banks ATMs. I know that I can use it fee free on the Global ATM Alliance network (represented in Spain by Deutsche Bank) but they are not well represented outside of the major cities. You might want to check with your bank that there aren't restrictions on where it can be used.

The other issues I know about are whether or not the card has a chip, and the length of the PIN. Some places won't take un-chipped cards or a PIN of more than four digits.

Last edited:
One woman I met ended up finding that the amount she was trying to access was larger than her daily limit, hence she was denied. She reduced her withdrawal to 100 euros and all was fine. Another found she needed to enter "savings" rather than "credit" or "cheque". Just two possibilities.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A magnetic problem maybe ? Some cards can be disturbed by proximity with a phone or other cards. Rubbing the chip sometimes helps?
Daily limit like already said, or weekly? It happened to me, I freaked out too... I had to call my bank and ask for an exceptional extension of the amount I was allowed to withdraw.
You should (?) be able to get money by going to your/an international/national bank and do your withdrawal at a counter. Need your card, your paper and patience. Loads of patience...
Fingers crossed for you!!

full

I am currently in Logronos and have been trying to use my debit card to get Euros. I have never had a problem with it before in Europe but here I am being denied. Any advice would be appreciated. I have checked with my bank and everything is ok on their end. I've tried multiple locations and banks. Thanks

Find someone that speaks Spanish and English to translate the instructions. My guess is you're probably not pressing the right keys.

Hi Shirley
We used our pre loaded Australian debit cards (MasterCard with e chips) extensively on our Camino but had to select 'credit' not 'debit' when doing any transaction. This is the same at home.

Apologies if you are already doing this but we were caught out when we first started using our card years ago.

If you're still unable to access any money, going into a bank to sort it out is good advice to ensure that your pin is correct and that your card is not locked.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I strictly use Santander Bank ATM's. They are found in most decent sized towns, even some small villages. They have a large US presence in the north east. I've never had problems with their machines.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I have done all of the above. The bank wasn't very helpful , Santander. I will try again today also will try Moneygram and will see if there is someplace I can buy Euros

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One thought that came to my mind is that the ATMs might have been out of cash? If one bank wasn't helpful, try another one. Did you try the ATM in Spanish or English? Did you get any error message? All the best and Buen Camino, SY

Good morning, my debit card works in banks such as Santander but not credit unions or cooperatives. I could not use it in any that had Cooperativo or Populaire in its name.
I hope that helps.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The banks are closed here today because of the grand fiesta. My problem I think is because my debit card has no chip. I used my credit card. Not ideal but necessary. Thanks for all the tips.

The banks are closed here today because of the grand fiesta. My problem I think is because my debit card has no chip. I used my credit card. Not ideal but necessary. Thanks for all the tips.
Be sure to let your debt card provider know you are in Spain.
Some locations require 6 digits--if your four digit pin doesn't work enter 00 after your pin.
I had trouble at some places but never at Santander banks.
Try small amounts--100 EU or less.
Good luck!

We had trouble with two of our cards because they did not have a CHIP in them, we only had one card with the chip and it worked fine,

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had similar trouble in Burgos and Leon with some banks. Kept telling me to contact my bank, stayed up to midnight to be able to call Australua and they couldn't see any problem. Finally got the Caja Espna ATM in Lepn to work today so would suggest trying them.

Correos sells "prepaid" mastercard that you can fill up from your
bankaccount.

I had a similar issue I can offer this solution- when it asks you if you accept the currency in sterling I said no (as I prefer to debit my account in euros) and the €300 was refused for 'technical reasons' however if you agree to 'sterling and 3% currency fee' the ATM produces the Euros..

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I had a similar issue I can offer this solution- when it asks you if you accept the currency in sterling I said no (as I prefer to debit my account in euros) and the €300 was refused for 'technical reasons' however if you agree to 'sterling and 3% currency fee' the ATM produces the Euros..
Does that imply that it would ask American cardholders if they agree to dollars & a fee? When I lived in Paris we had 'technical difficulties' when using our American ATM cards to get cash unless we went to ATMs that handled the exchange. No issue with credit card cash advances.

Does that imply that it would ask American cardholders if they agree to dollars & a fee? When I lived in Paris we had 'technical difficulties' when using our American ATM cards to get cash unless we went to ATMs that handled the exchange. No issue with credit card cash advances.
I tried both ways ie 'no' to sterling then 'yes' to sterling and only the yes worked....and produced the requested Euros...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first time I used my bank debit card in Pamplona in 2013 I mistakenly pressed the button for our joint chequing account at home in Canada. I got the money I asked for but after another withdrawal a few days later I heard back from my husband at home that my withdrawals were coming out of our joint household chequing account. On my next visit to the bank (Santander) I tried to get money out of my savings account but I was unable to change my original setting for "chequing" to "savings." I was also unable to arrange a transfer of funds from my savings to reimburse our household chequing account, so I changed banks and went to Banco de España where I was careful to make sure I pressed "ahorro" for savings, and had no problem. Because we are well known at our small town home branch of our bank where I had had my accounts flagged that I would be in Spain, it was no problem for me to contact my home branch with an e-mail to the right person and arrange for some money to be moved between the accounts. When I returned to Spain in 2015 I used other banks than the one I'd originally used in Pamplona the first time which is a shame because I'd discovered Santander bank in Mexico and liked its high profile and availability and I think it is a very good solid and reliable bank. I think my situation was merely a glitch in the system that can happen when one travels internationally because I unthinkingly pressed "chequing" automatically as I would have if I were at home, and for all I know the glitch could have been remedied by now but I'm reluctant to try it out so I'll stick with other banking institutions for now.

Last edited:
Be sure to let your debt card provider know you are in Spain.
Some locations require 6 digits--if your four digit pin doesn't work enter 00 after your pin.
I had trouble at some places but never at Santander banks.
Try small amounts--100 EU or less.
Good luck!
Hi, I am a European and as far as I know we only use 4 digid pin. That's for the bank cards and credit cards.
Wish you well, Peter.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No chip! Now we have the route cause. From me experience/understanding "no chip, no work". So for all who read this & are intending to use debit cards ensure that they have "the chip"!

I am an European and have traveled extensively but never came across the need to use a 6 digit pin. Where did that happen to you? Buen Camino, SY
Hola SY! In Australia we have an option of either a 4 or 6 digit pin, it often depends on what your bank requires. To overcome the problem with EU "4 digit" pins we can have "00" as the last two digits & drop them as necessary!

Hola SY! In Australia we have an option of either a 4 or 6 digit pin, it often depends on what your bank requires. To overcome the problem with EU "4 digit" pins we can have "00" as the last two digits & drop them as necessary!

I am pretty sure that that wouldn't work in Europe - Here it is 4 digit pin or doesn't work at all, but glad to hear it works the other way round!
Buen Camino, SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am pretty sure that that wouldn't work in Europe - Here it is 4 digit pin or doesn't work at all, but glad to hear it works the other way round!
Buen Camino, SY
Yes it does because it's what I did back in 2013 !

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back