• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

December/January Camino (second time around)

beckany

This is my second Camino, the first being over Dec/Jan of 2004-2005 with a walking group of 11-13. I was a student at the time, but have since gradutated and am now attempting to lead a group of three college students on the journey. We're starting in St Jean Pied de Port and making the walk all the way to Finisterre. I'm very excited to get back on the path.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi beckany,

don't you worry about snow in the mountains? Do you think, you can cross the mountains at that time?

Thomas

We walked in snow for about four days, but it was not treacherous. I backpack back home a bit in the states, so it was nothing new. I walked in my tights, rain pants, and waterproof boots, and never had any problems. One day, I did step off the path, when the snow was new, and the path was not clear (on the ground... the signs are still there though) and ended up waist deep in a ditch, but my friends helped me out after laughing and taking a few pictures.

A few things to note. First of all, it was temperate when we were walking through the Pyraneese, and we didn't get snow until Puente la Reina through about Logrono. Secondly, I used trekking poles, and without them, I do not think I would have fared well in the snow and ice. I did take another fall on some ice on a paved part of the road, but that, too, can be avoided. Overall, I would much rather walk in the snow than in the rain. It's not as wet. Snow stays outside of your clothing, while rain sneaks in wherever it can.

Good luck with your walk! Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dear Beckany
This is so interesting. We are going in December and January too, this year, and it is hard to find specific information about it such as I've just read in your message. I would love to know your packing list to know the winter elements, or even just describe exactly what you wore on typical days or what you wish you had had with you. I've found other people's very useful but they are for warmer weather and has been hard to decide how much cold weather clothing to take or exactly what type would be the most useful. At the moment my pack weight is 7.5 kg but I don't want to be out there and really needing more of ... It also sounds as if you used two trekking poles, is that right?
Thanks
Magnara

winter pack list

Magnara,

Welcome to the Camino Winter Family. I feel like the challanges of walking at this time are petty when compared to the individual attention you get at the albergues when the crowds do not exist. It is a more personal feel. (At least I think so, since I have never walked in the busy times)

And now to answer some questions:

I did use two trekking poles, and when talking about pack weight, it's not as if it added any weight to my pack because whenever the pack was on, the poles were in use. I fully believe that they saved my knees on this trip. They are definately a worthwhile addition to your gear.

My pack list for my first Camino was heftier than what I plan to take this time around. I ended up sending a lot of things forward to Santiago to make my pack lighter. As long as you have a bar of soap, you can do laundry in the albergues. It is important to buy lightweight, fast drying liner socks and next-to-skin layers because you will need to wash these most frequently, and you want them to dry overnight. Everything new I have purchased for this go around, I wash in my sink and leave outside (it's around 50degrees F here at night) to see if they will be dry by the morning. If not, they don't make the cut.

If it was a dry day, I walked in running tights, nylon pants, either a lightweight t-shirt layered with my rain jacket, or a thermal base layer and rain jacket if it was cooler. I packed a pair of fleece pants and a fleece shirt for nights, but I would always get too hot if i wore these to hike in. I wore Bridgedale liner socks and either Bridgedale or Smartwool Heavy socks, and LOWA low cut boots. If it was raining, I would trade my nylon pants for rain pants. I took two tee shirts, and three long sleeve shirts, two pairs of tights, one each nylon pants, fleece pants, fleece shirt, and rain pants. I took three pairs of underwear, so I could wash one, have one drying, and have one to wear. You won't need any more than that. I took four pairs of hiking socks and three pairs of liner socks. The same philosophy as the underwear, but one pair of hiking socks stayed in the bottom of my sleeping bag for night wear only. That way they were always clean and dry = warm.

I didn't pack shorts, but I bought a pair along the way when unusually warm weather happened. I will pack a light pair this year.

I packed a snow cap and a pair of earwarmers (the headband type) which I preferred to walk in. I packed one fast drying towel and a pair of CROCS (rubber clogs) to wear at night when the boots were drying or just to give my feet a break. I also packed ski gloves, found they were too bulky, and sent them ahead and bought a pair of wool gloves and treated them with a waterproofing spray. This was warmer, and I would pull my jacket over my hands in the rain and was fine.

I took a summer sleeping bag (Mt Hardware X-Country 40deg bag) and was only cold one night. There are blankets in most albergues that do not have heat, and on the coldest nights, we pushed the beds together, and all slept close.

Instead of a water bottle (which I don't like to pull out of my pack to drink), I used a 2L hydration bladder in my backpack. THis also kept the water warmer because it lay by my back, and made drinking when I was cold a little less unpleasant. I rarely filled it all the way because of the weight it added, but it was good to have that size for the days where the towns are sparse.

That's all I can think of as far as necessary gear. I also carried a headlamp, journal, camera, a rock for the Cruz de Hierro, a watch, first aid, and toiletries.

I hope this helps you out. As always, I would LOVE to answer any other questions. Where are you starting the Camino, and about what time. We may be blessed to see you along the way.

Buen Camino

beckany

Dear Beckany
That's such valuable information, thank you! We are arrivinging in SJPP on 26 December and starting the next day. Do you think we might be able to go over the mountain or will we have to go around to get to Roncesvalles at that time of year?
It would be great if we met you along the way. We will be easy to spot - two Aussies (my husband and myself) with Crocodile Dundee style hats. The accents are also a bit of a giveaway!
Magnara

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We took the road from SJPP, avoiding the mountain because it was snowy when we arrived. It was also our first day, and it was already a long walk, so we took the "easy" way out. It was a BEAUTIFUL walk though. There are several trails that you walk on, as well as some beautiful farms by the road. The highway portion is very curvy with fast cars, though, so if you do take the road, be careful.

We'll be arriving at SJPP on December 20th, and planning a two day stopover in Leon, so maybe y'all will catch up with us towards the end. If not, look for us in the sign-in books at the albergues. My real name is Bethany. Let me know if you have any other questions. I am really excited for you guys!

beckany

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.