• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Deciding between Camino del Norte & Camino Frances

bbromberg

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023--Camino del Norte Hopeful
Hello! My name is Bella and I am a 22 year old woman hoping to complete the camino del santiago this August (2023). I am currently deciding between the Camino del Norte and the Camino Frances---I'm enamored by the thought of the scenic route and beautiful nature (especially the water/chance to swim!!) that the camino del norte would offer, but I'm wondering if it the Camino Frances would be a better choice for the social element. This will be my first camino and I will be walking most (if not all) of it solo.

Thank you so much!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello! My name is Bella and I am a 22 year old woman hoping to complete the camino del santiago this August (2023). I am currently deciding between the Camino del Norte and the Camino Frances---I'm enamored by the thought of the scenic route and beautiful nature (especially the water/chance to swim!!) that the camino del norte would offer, but I'm wondering if it the Camino Frances would be a better choice for the social element. This will be my first camino and I will be walking most (if not all) of it solo.

Thank you so much!

Hi Bella and welcome here.

For a first Camino I would suggest the Frances, not only for the social element but also for practical reasons.
The towns on the Norte will be busy with many Spanish tourists, making affordable lodgings a bit more difficult to find.
If you want a swim , there are also some possibilities to do that on the Frances.
Some albergues have private pools. Many towns also have public swimming pools.

Happy preparations!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bella, I would also steer you toward the Frances. There are so many options on the Frances, you can truly customize it any way you want to. You can walk alone or with others, you can easily adjust your distances, more accommodations, etc. Despite having walked the Frances four times, each one has been different for me. Buen Camino!

Having walked both, it is true that the Norte is a prettier walk along the ocean. It's also true that the Frances offers a more immersive pilgrim experience, since pilgrimage is really the only thing going on. I suggest that everyone walk the Frances first, unless you are really looking for a solo thru-hike, rather than a pilgrimage in the constant company of like minded companions.

I have to agree with the previous posts. I just finished the Norte/Primitivo combo, and while the landscapes were beautiful I missed the special character of the towns on the Francés, and the Francés can just plain be fun!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello,
just to add an insight form the "other side"... I was in the same spot as you are, just a year ago. And I picked the Norte, because at that time, I preferred a more solitary experience. I walked the Norte the last October. The coastal walk is magnificient, and I still met a lot of wonderful people. Before my walk, I wondered if I was missing something big, not walking the Francés. In hindsight, I'm not regretting my decision one bit. But I might come back to Spain to walk the Francés pretty soon, though :)
Whichever route you decide to walk, I'm sure you'll have a lot of stories to tell and a lot of great memories.
Buen Camino,
Michal

Another one for the Frances even though the Norte (and the Ruta do Mar) are beautiful. My sister will be doing the Frances at the same time as you, and I had no hesitation in confirming it was the right camino for first timers.

Once you get to Santiago you can always opt to continue to the coast at Muxia and Finisterre

I agree with all of the replies you have received and as wonderful and unique as the Norte/Primitivo is, I generally steer first-timers to the Frances for all the reasons mentioned above.
Your walk is just around the corner now...Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.