• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Departing from Lisbon in late Apr

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Past: a few
Last: Sanabres
Next: St Olav's Way
Things are coming together to make a return to the Iberian peninsula for my 2020 pilgrimage. Flights are booked to arrive on 25 Apr. I plan to walk to Tomar and then across to Fatima before heading north again. There are a couple of longer days, but I my thinking is to walk somewhere between 15 and 20 km each day to not give my arthritic hip too much of a challenge.

After walking in Scandinavia and England on my more recent pilgrimages, I am really looking forward to walking into the Praza de Obradorio this year.

ps. no Covid19 warnings please. I will be keeping an eye on what are appropriate measures to take. Otherwise, warnings about the Portuguese equivalents of hoop snakes and drop bears will be gratefully acknowledged.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Things are coming together to make a return to the Iberian peninsula for my 2020 pilgrimage. Flights are booked to arrive on 25 Apr. I plan to walk to Tomar and then across to Fatima before heading north again. There are a couple of longer days, but I my thinking is to walk somewhere between 15 and 20 km each day to not give my arthritic hip too much of a challenge.
ps. no Covid19 warnings please. I will be keeping an eye on what are appropriate measures to take. Otherwise, warnings about the Portuguese equivalents of hoop snakes and drop bears will be gratefully acknowledged.
A great time of year to be walking the CP but be prepared for potential heat; I walked Lisbon to SdC May 2015 & experienced mid 30's C regularly...also some issues with water availability. I was 'rescued' on several occasions by enterprising accom owners who drive the trail handing out water to hot & weary walkers in exchange for accepting their flyer (without obligation to stay).
As an Aussie, of course I know of (& I confess, have perpetuated myself... 😇 ) the drop bears legend but hoop snake was new to me. On Googling I was surprised to find that although US in origin, it has taken hold here too! 😯 😆
Bom caminho.
👣 🌏

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
All the best to you, dougfitz. I enjoyed reading your report on your trip in England and I'm sure you will enjoy the CP. I walked it back in 2014 and it was splendid. No bears or snakes.
Buen camino!

No drop bears or hoop snakes @dougfitz - but if you are starting in Lisbon stay out of the main rail corridor. I managed to get into it by missing a turning, somewhere before Azambuja. Found myself inside with high fences. Of course I was too stubborn (and stupid) to turn back. Luckily only a few kilometres until I came to the next station, where I could fault up onto the platform.

No bears or snakes.
No drop bears? That's a relief. Perhaps they will have that other less well known Australian delicacy - wattleberry pie? It is years since I have heard of anyone making this, when I had heard of it being prepared for a visiting Briton. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a recipe for it on the web. But I understand that one can get the basic ingredients anywhere there are even a small number of sheep.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No drop bears or hoop snakes @dougfitz - but if you are starting in Lisbon stay out of the main rail corridor. I managed to get into it by missing a turning, somewhere before Azambuja. Found myself inside with high fences. Of course I was too stubborn (and stupid) to turn back. Luckily only a few kilometres until I came to the next station, where I could fault up onto the platform.
The route marked in Open Street Maps shows an option to follow a track adjacent to a railway line starting around Vila do Carregado and going almost all the way into Azambuja. I will try and remember to be careful there.

my thinking is to walk somewhere between 15 and 20 km each day to not give my arthritic hip too much of a challenge.

Should be a great time of year to walk in Portugal, @dougfitz. Just out of an abundance of caution, since you are a forum veteran and likely not to need my suggestions, I wanted to make sure you had seen the forum guide Lisbon to Porto, as well as the “short stages from Lisbon” resource. The short stages document is out of date (doesn’t include the albergue in Alpriate, 20 km from the cathedral, for example), but it will give you some good basic info, I think.

Are you a planner, or will you just start walking with a general idea? I ask because there are lots of us here who have walked from Lisbon and could try to help with the short stages challenge. You have been so generous with your time and patience helping me out with my GPS challenges, it would be nice to return the favor a bit!!!!

Would love to know what your planned stages are (if you have them). We are doing the same walk beginning at the end of March, and are in need of some shorter stages. I will also check out the forum guide on the “shorter stages” from Lisbon. Thanks for that peregrina2000!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@peregrina2000 and @J Byrd, beyond checking that it is generally possible to do stages of between 15 km and 20 km, I don't have a firm plan. I have allowed enough days to walk to Finisterre via Muxia at the end, but will use those elsewhere if I need to.

At this stage, Tomar, Fatima, Coimbra, Porto and Valenca are anchor points. You might have others that I should consider. Some I will stay for a rest day, others I will try to do a short day to get in, and leave a little later on the following day. I am not sure how difficult that will be, but I'm not going to get too worried by that level of detail just yet.

ps I am grateful for all suggestions. Please don't hold back on them.

I walked it starting in October when it was dry and saw quite a few snakes, mostly dead, squashed on the road. They were all vipers, AKA adders but were no problem, particularly the dead ones. Walking in spring should be wonderful. I din't spot any hoop snakes but they are common in spring.

1583013088182.jpeg

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
@peregrina2000 and @J Byrd, beyond checking that it is generally possible to do stages of between 15 km and 20 km, I don't have a firm plan. I have allowed enough days to walk to Finisterre via Muxia at the end, but will use those elsewhere if I need to.

At this stage, Tomar, Fatima, Coimbra, Porto and Valenca are anchor points. You might have others that I should consider. Some I will stay for a rest day, others I will try to do a short day to get in, and leave a little later on the following day. I am not sure how difficult that will be, but I'm not going to get too worried by that level of detail just yet.

ps I am grateful for all suggestions. Please don't hold back on them.
Ha, you may be sorry you told me not to hold back. I have recovered my (overly abundant) pictures from my walk in 2008, but only as far as Porto. I think ViaLusitana has the most complete and up to date listing of pilgrim accommodations (albergues and moderately priced places), but if you are looking for private places generally, I would recommend @cj2003’s list.

I have never stayed in Alpriate’s albergue because it hadn’t yet opened when I walked, but I have been there several times and think it is a perfect first night stop. The village has really opened its arms to peregrinos, and the bar in town serves good quality, home cooked meals and as far as I can tell has resisted the urge to gouge pilgrims, which certainly must be a strong urge given the economy. The nice thing about the albergue is that you can get to meet the group that you are likely to see on a regular basis going forward.

Lots of these little towns are very pleasant places, and if you walk around you will invariably find some old buildings and frequently little praças where the retirees go to connect with each other. Life is pretty slow paced in these places but I would say that the level of contentment is pretty high.

In Azinhaga, you can walk right by the birthplace of José Saramago, Portugal’s only (I think) Nobel Prize for literature. Just a regular old little humble house, it always impresses me that greatness springs up in the darndest places!

Tomar is one of my favorites, not just for the castle up on the hill, which has a very nice stamp and has benefitted from lots of EU funding for renovation and preservation. The little town down around the main square, with a view up to the castle, is very charming.

The old ruined estate at Cardiga is kind of eerie, but I really enjoyed exploring a bit and sitting in the shade. It is near Golega, just open and unattended for you to walk around. Some Templar connection I think. Right on the camino.

If you stay in Rabaçal, the people in the museum next to the albergue will (or used to) drive you out to the Roman villa whose ruins are a few km out of town. Very nice place to visit, and the museum is interesting too.

I think the roman ruins in Conímbriga are really interesting, and there is more and more excavation every day. Lots of nice mosaics and information to understand the layout. I see on Via Lusitana that there are two albergues in the vicinity, in Valada and Cernache, so it might be easy to pair a visit with a stop nearby.

Mealhada after Coimbra is famous all over portugal for its leitao (roast suckling pig). There are tons and tons of restaurants all serving the same thing. Pedro dos Leitoes is the one I have in my notes as being most recommended to me by some Portuguese friends.

The town of Águeda has a park up on a hill that is really more of a forest than a park. Looking at a map it must be Parque Municipal de Alta Villa. It is oh so welcoming on a hot afternoon, and is dotted with all sorts of painted pig statues, whose significance I could not find out, but which I enjoyed seeing (my photos have some of them I think). The albergue here, btw, is a long slog out of town. I stayed at the Residencial Ribeirinho but I think it is now closed, google does show a couple of other places in town though.

Sao Joao da Madeira has what looks like a fascinating hat museum, in the old hat factory. I didn’t see it till I was leaving town the next morning, but if I had known it was there I would definitely have gone. I think I learned from someone here on the forum that the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland came from the fact that the chemicals these guys used to make the hats caused all sorts of psychiatric maladies.

The monastery in Grijo now has an albergue there, and I remember a lovely resting spot on the grounds before the last slog into Porto. I think people have liked their stay there, but I haven’t heard too much about it.

I hope the route into Porto continues to take you in through the “upper level” of Gaia, the town where all the port lodges are. The parque right at the river has a view over Porto that is just jaw-dropping (my avatar was taken there), really one of the top urban views on any camino.

After Porto there is tons more info on the forum, but I should just say I didn’t take the coastal route so I can’t comment on that. Ponte de Lima is one of my favorite little cities in Portugal, the bridge and the central core are really nice.

Tui is right over the river from Valença, and if it were me, I’d stay there rather than in Valença. Valença does have that nice vauban-style fortress, but it has become the Spanish textile shoppers mecca. Store after store after store selling every conceivable type of textile (towels, spreads, curtains, etc etc) you can imagine. Tui, I think, has a lot more to see and is less frenzied because it doesn’t have thousands of Spanish shoppers looking for a bargain.

And Pontevedra is another place where I would consider a longer stay. Beautiful historic core. The albergue, if it’s still in The same place, is about a km before the center, so it is not a great location if you are going to go in and do a lot of touring. But there is no lack of hotels and pensiones because there is a fairly high number of tourists.

I have not stayed in the albergue in Herbón and am not sure when it opens, but it seems like it is one of those not-to-be-missed donativo places if the opportunity arises. I have some friends who have been hospitaleros there and they just rave about the setting and the Monastery. It’s a few kms off the camino, but I don’t know anyone who has regretted doing that little detour. And I am pretty sure it opens in early April, but that would be worth checking.

So those are some of the things that make this caminho so special, but topping the list are the Portuguese themselves. Bom caminho, Laurie

p.s. Are you going to spend time in Lisbon? If so, you could consider my little walking tour.

A great time of year to be walking the CP but be prepared for potential heat; I walked Lisbon to SdC May 2015 & experienced mid 30's C regularly...also some issues with water availability. I was 'rescued' on several occasions by enterprising accom owners who drive the trail handing out water to hot & weary walkers in exchange for accepting their flyer (without obligation to stay).
@kazrobbo I'm curious to know how much water you carried at the start of each day, and whether you filled up during the day when you stopped for a coffee or a meal.

The old ruined estate at Cardiga is kind of eerie, but I really enjoyed exploring a bit and sitting in the shade. It is near Golega, just open and unattended for you to walk around. Some Templar connection I think. Right on the camino.

To support some of my part-time neighbours, I have to put in a good word for my part-time hometown, Vila Nova da Barquinha. Just up the road from Cardiga, maybe an hour's walk past, and thus just half a day or so past Golega. So...its current lack of an albergue is not such a big deal since it's not necessarily a logical day-end*. But it's a great spot for a morning/lunchtime break! Especially the part north of the train tracks...that's my part of town, formerly a separate village, Moita do Norte ("northern thicket"), and still identified separately, locally, as "Moita."

After you cross the traintracks that bisect Barquinha, the caminho route veers left and follows the Rua da Nova Escola ("street of the new school") up to a roundabout. You'll pass a small shrine to Fatima on your right as you walk. The "new school" of the street name was built in the 50s, and stopped being a primary school about 10 years ago. It's now a local support building for those in need, including a food bank, plus a new public-works building--the sign out front says "Loja Social"--"social store".

1583036971724.jpeg
Fatima shrine and "new school"--now social services for Moita

At the roundabout you come to, and just to your left, is the VNdB Junta da Freguesia (town hall), where you can get a sello and can use a Multibanko ATM to get some euros, if needed. You'd typically start heading uphill, the road slightly to your right, here. But just ahead and further to your right, you can see a wide concrete bench, and a tap. Good drinking water. Always there. Good spot for a quick break!

1583036931542.jpeg
At the roundabout; town hall c/ATM on left, road onwards and upwards on right

And suppose you should want a bit more of a break? Turn more sharply right up Rua da Capela instead, as you stand at the roundabout, and an uphill longish block here will take you to Nossa Senhora de Remedios (Our Lady of the Remedies), and round the corner (turn left) into Rua Direita ("the right/direct street") where just ahead on your right you will find an excellent coffee shop that also serves a good lunch. A small but handy grocery store just beyond can give you cheese, cold drinks, and other essentials to carry along. (Both of these establishments have opened in the last two years, as Moita starts to rejuvenate after being gutted during the 2000s economic crunch.) The hilly block you walked up covers the same elevation rise that your direct route, as shown in various guidebooks, would have taken.

1583036889359.jpeg
Sharp right gives quick detour up Rua da Capela to the Capela (chapel); turn left at top for cafe, shop

A couple of flat blocks up Rua Direita, across the street is a playground and daycare. Hang left here and walk a bit further, and you're back on the main caminho route on to Atalaia and Tomar beyond. In the meantime, you've had another taste of small-town central Portugal, and the locals are friendly. (And their coffee and baking are excellent.)

Bom caminho!

(More information on Barquinha here...the municipal website translates itself into lots of languages.)

Photos courtesy of GoogleMaps Streetview

*If you did want to spend a relaxing day in Barquinha, or stop there overnight, I recommend the Hotel Soltejo. Individual rooms that aren't very expensive; cafe downstairs for breakfast; excellent restaurant further downstairs; English-speaking staff; nice people! (We lived there for about a week when we were buying our house, a few years ago.)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Only two notes to add; the albergue at Alpriate had closed for the season when I was there on 17 October - so not sure when it opens in spring. And the hat museum in Sao Joao da Madeira was fascinating - I got a one hour personally guided tour for the princely sum of 2 euros.

@kazrobbo I'm curious to know how much water you carried at the start of each day, and whether you filled up during the day when you stopped for a coffee or a meal.
How much water I started each day with varied depending on distance, expected temperature & availability along the way. I got caught 2 days by water sources being dry, contaminated or status changed from 'potable' to 'non-potable' & amenities being closed.
Lesson learnt.
From then on & to this day, in hot weather I carry enough water for the whole day irrespective of potential to refill. If I do have replenish opportunities of course I refresh my supply.
My CP experience was 2015...I'm not sure of current water status/issues but I'd imagine with the increased popularity of the CP that perhaps 'gaps' have been filled.
Enjoy your walk; the CP remains my 2nd favourite trail...& I'm also glad you're starting in Lisbon.
Happy trails!
👣 🌏

Last edited:
Only two notes to add; the albergue at Alpriate had closed for the season when I was there on 17 October - so not sure when it opens in spring. And the hat museum in Sao Joao da Madeira was fascinating - I got a one hour personally guided tour for the princely sum of 2 euros.
So glad you got to go into the hat museum. I remember going past the statues outside in early morning and wishing I had known the museum was there the night before!

RE the albergue in Alpriate, my friends in Via Lusitana say it will open on March 16 for the season.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks @Kanga, Gronze lists it as open from 15 Mar to 15 Oct.

@peregrina2000 On the subject of hats, mercury was used extensively in felt making, making hatters and milleners particularly suscepticible to erethism (mad hatters syndrome) caused by mercury poisoning.

Not to hijack the thread too much, but yes, the whole process was explained in detail, with explanations and demonstrations of how all the machines worked (all seemingly in working order). It was a huge factory in its heyday, producing thousands of hats.

Felt hats.png

I think I sighted a couple jackalopes along the way, and I almost got run over by an entire group of spandex-clad hoop snake riders who didn't ring a warning bell as they flew past.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think I sighted a couple jackalopes along the way, and I almost got run over by an entire group of spandex-clad hoop snake riders who didn't ring a warning bell as they flew past.
@koilife I have yet to see a jackalope, so I will be looking out for them. But tell me, were the hoop snake riders monocyclists, or had they trained a pair of hoop snakes to work in tandem?

@koilife I have yet to see a jackalope, so I will be looking out for them. But tell me, were the hoop snake riders monocyclists, or had they trained a pair of hoop snakes to work in tandem?
Tandem, all the way, and an entire pack of them; although, I'm sure "pack" is the wrong collective term, I'm just not sure how to describe them. Perhaps "peloton" is better . . .

Thanks for all that info. I have waymarked the cafe and supermarket in my places list.
Well, it's somewhat overstating the case to call it a "supermarket." It's a small shop! But it's more than the community had before and very friendly.

I hear jackalopes abound in the area I live in, but have yet to see one myself...even as roadkill. 😅

I hear jackalopes abound in the area I live in, but have yet to see one myself...even as roadkill. 😅
I hear they are perfectly preserved in death and immediately whisked away by a phantom taxidermist to be mounted for posterity. And then they are only displayed in the places of worship of true believers.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I hear they are perfectly preserved in death and immediately whisked away by a phantom taxidermist to be mounted for posterity. And then they are only displayed in the places of worship of true believers.
Caught on film, live in the wild . . . shortly before he gored three backpackers to death. The photographer barely escaped with his life. You can't be too careful when you see one.
1583713845447.png

Everyone I have met who walked from Lisbon said they’d never do it again, and in one case wished they’d not even done it once. After reading this thread I’ve decided they were all grumpy old farts and I’d be keen to give it a go!

Everyone I have met who walked from Lisbon said they’d never do it again, and in one case wished they’d not even done it once. After reading this thread I’ve decided they were all grumpy old farts and I’d be keen to give it a go!
When are you walking?

When are you walking?
I’m booked to leave NZ on 20 April but it’s a wait and see game right now. The plan for this walk is Valencia to Muxia so the Portuguese will have to wait

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I held out on the hope things might have turned around enough not to defer this walk, but that hasn't happened. So both flight and the accommodation bookings in Lisbon and England were all cancelled on Sunday.

I am now hoping that it will be possible to walk later this year, but will wait until things are more certain before re-starting any detailed planning.

There are a couple of longer days, but I my thinking is to walk somewhere between 15 and 20 km each day to not give my arthritic hip too much of a challenge.
Things have moved quickly over the weeks since it became clear walking the CP wasn't going to happen before it is safe to walk in Portugal and Spain, and visit family in the UK. Last week, my surgeon was allowed to restart elective surgery, and I am back on his surgery list for my hip. Still some details to be sorted. But overall, this was great news.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello, I am looking for contact to friend/pillgrim Ignacio from Argentina. He started Camino sanabrese from Ourense 14.may and finished 20.may in Santiago. If you know him, please contact me.
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.