• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Descents into Hornillos and Hontanas?

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Autumn, 2023
My wire and I (still mid-70s!) are a bit spooked about the warning symbols descending into these towns - particularly after Zubiri, which we ended up doing on the highway after some Camino friends we had met told us to please not even try going down the ruts.
We would appreciate any advice you can offer! Thanks again for your help last time.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My wire and I (still mid-70s!) are a bit spooked about the warning symbols descending into these towns - particularly after Zubiri, which we ended up doing on the highway after some Camino friends we had met told us to please not even try going down the ruts.
We would appreciate any advice you can offer! Thanks again for your help last time.
Both those descents are on wide compacted gravel tracks used by local vehicles. Nothing like Zubiri

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The three most challenging descents for people with ankle, knee or hip issues; or any general concerns about balance and stability, are the following:
Descent to Zubiri (already mentioned)
Descent from Alto del Perdón to Uterga (lots of small loose rocks and stones)
Descent into León from about 8km out (especially when wet)
Descent down into Molinaseca from El Acebo de San Miguel (the road route winds its way down more gently, but adds about 4km to the distance - someone might correct me on that extra distance).

I would recommend not carrying excessive weight on the back, secure your rucksack correctly (so it doesn't slop around), and don't hold your phone or camera in your hand (unless you stop, of course) and using two walking poles. Having the appropriate footwear that protects your ankles would be worth considering.

The two you asked about, Hornillos del Camino and Hontanas, are gentle slopes on wide gravel paths.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I did the Frances last year at 72, going again next year, the downhills and uphills are tough, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise, I walked with some younger people on occasions and they struggled, but it’s all possible. I had two walking sticks, took my time going to Zubiri, and the other steep descents, did get a slight knee problem, but meds and a brace for a couple of days fixed that. And may I say, I have never seen so many knee braces, spread across all varieties of ages walking. It’s tough, day after day but possible. Enjoy.

We would appreciate any advice you can offer! Thanks again for your help last time. Perhaps follow the bicycle routes— a few steps longer but not as many precipitous edges to navigate

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Perhaps follow the bicycle routes. It may be a little longer (more steps) but not as many precipitous edges;)

Smooth and gradual. But it is long and easy so one can walk in a rhythm that is very repetitive. You can see your goal from a distance so one can tend to push it a little. I ended up very sore on one foot arriving into Horrnios for the reasons above. It was significant enough that I had to change plans. So take your time. Modify your stride. Run, skip, or jump just to change things up.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.