• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Descent into Zubiri?

Jensjaunt

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept Oct - Camino Francis
Thank you to everyone who is sharing your experience as I am planning my Camino this is so helpful - I will be starting in SJPD in Sept and have been reading in the guidebooks about the last 3km into zubiri being steep and needing your attention! I am walking w polls have booked to stay at Orrison and Roncesvalles so this next day I see two options 1 stay in Linzoain and do the decent while fresh or 2 use the pack transfer service and make it to Zubiri? I am being a bit cautious as this is my 1st Camino - while in good shape - am currently walking around 15 km or so easily and am just ramping up training - I also had a hip replacement in 2019 and know downhills are a bit hard on my knees - interested in peoples experience and thoughts? Go all the way to zubiri while still getting my Camino legs or?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It IS steep but not 'undoable' especially if you pay attention to where you set your foot to. Of course if the weather is dismal - raining etc. stay away; lots of people suggest to take the road (which is what the bicyclists would do)
IMHO you don't NEED to do a pack transfer but since its only like 5-6E if you feel more comfortable go-at-it lighter by all means do that (and you can make that decision literally the evening before)
I happen to start from SJPdP with a young German couple that had a 3-months baby with them. They made it - with baby carriage and all the packs.....

Personally I can tell you that as much as everyone talks about descent - not to many mentions the ascend
hence it caught me totally by surprise! You got shale sticking out from the ground as if you are walking on triceratops' back!

Going Up Coming down

Good luck, Buen Camino, Ultreia!

If you are very unsteady, there is a place at the top of the hill where you cross the road. You can call a cab from there. A couple of pilgrims in past years reported having fallen here and suffered a broken arm or wrist. I think only you can decide as you know your strengths or limitations.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do check out this earlier thread re various possibilities.

Lintzoain is a busy hamlet with several pilgrim places but no taxi service as such. You could telephone from there for a taxi. Look on Google for taxis in the Erro area.You might have the taxi meet you by the Food truck at the Puerto de Erro where the Camino crosses N135 for the last time before Zubiri.

I would NOT follow the camino path any further beyond the Puerto de Erro for it becomes hell. After one ghastly descent in 2004 for the next 9 CFs I always walked down on the N135 road to Zubiri.
Good luck and Buen camino.

Last edited:
It IS steep but not 'undoable' especially if you pay attention to where you set your foot to. Of course if the weather is dismal - raining etc. stay away; lots of people suggest to take the road (which is what the bicyclists would do)
IMHO you don't NEED to do a pack transfer but since its only like 5-6E if you feel more comfortable go-at-it lighter by all means do that (and you can make that decision literally the evening before)
I happen to start from SJPdP with a young German couple that had a 3-months baby with them. They made it - with baby carriage and all the packs.....

Personally I can tell you that as much as everyone talks about descent - not to many mentions the ascend
hence it caught me totally by surprise! You got shale sticking out from the ground as if you are walking on triceratops' back!

Going Up Coming down

Very helpful thank you! Will hope for good weather!

If you are very unsteady, there is a place at the top of the hill where you cross the road. You can call a cab from there. A couple of pilgrims in past years reported having fallen here and suffered a broken arm or wrist. I think only you can decide as you know your strengths or limitations.
Great to know about the cab option! Sadly my mountain goat agility days are behind me but I am pretty steady -still have that three points on the rock touch point rule ingrained in my brain 😊

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Lintzoain is a busy hamlet with several pilgrim places but no taxi service as such. You could telephone from there for a taxi. Look on Google for taxis in the Erro area.You might have the taxi meet you by the Food truck at the Puerto de Erro where the Camino crosses N135 for the last time before Zubiri.

I would NOT follow the camino path any further beyond the Puerto de Erro for it becomes hell. After one ghastly descent in 2004 for the next 9 CFs I always walked down on the N135 road to Zubiri.
Thx so much! I did some searching but did not see this! Hopefully it’s better this year?

Good luck and Buen

Many thanks - 9 road to 1 trail is helpful! Will make note of where to call taxied as an option! Just getting some of the land marks down - so excited to be doing my 1st Camino!

The road was an option? I wish I knew, that walk was misery

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Descending into Zubiri on a wet day in my first Frances in 2016, I found this very difficult and frightening because it was so slippery. My next descent in 2018 I was assured the road was not a safe alternative so down the hill I went. It was dry and I was astonished how much easier it was than I remembered! I’ll be back on the path next week and hoping for dry weather. I understood the road to be too dangerous, with no verge or barrier from the traffic and had a look on Google Earth that didn’t reassure me. Would love to have an alternative if the path is wet again this year!

Thank you to everyone who is sharing your experience as I am planning my Camino this is so helpful - I will be starting in SJPD in Sept and have been reading in the guidebooks about the last 3km into zubiri being steep and needing your attention! I am walking w polls have booked to stay at Orrison and Roncesvalles so this next day I see two options 1 stay in Linzoain and do the decent while fresh or 2 use the pack transfer service and make it to Zubiri? I am being a bit cautious as this is my 1st Camino - while in good shape - am currently walking around 15 km or so easily and am just ramping up training - I also had a hip replacement in 2019 and know downhills are a bit hard on my knees - interested in peoples experience and thoughts? Go all the way to zubiri while still getting my Camino legs or?
Hello! Yes, my husband and I do recall the walk doe into Zubiri for sure! But with our trekking poles, and taking it as slowly as we wanted to take it (and with only small packs for water and snacks on our backs), we made it fine. I’m 70 and my husband is 74. The Camino was our 4th long hike, and we completely loved it. There are this sections that I think should be mentioned with more honesty in the books, and this section is one of those. The trail folks could do a few things to make it better, as has been done to other sections. I hope they do. Make sure you know how to prevent blisters so that doesn’t get in your way. Take snacks. Rest along the way. And it will be better knowing it is coming. It is not the steepness that is the problem, but the nature of the terrain. But with poles and a nice rest before you hit that section, you will be fine! Buen Camino!! I wish I were going again!!!

Descending into Zubiri on a wet day in my first Frances in 2016, I found this very difficult and frightening because it was so slippery. My next descent in 2018 I was assured the road was not a safe alternative so down the hill I went. It was dry and I was astonished how much easier it was than I remembered! I’ll be back on the path next week and hoping for dry weather. I understood the road to be too dangerous, with no verge or barrier from the traffic and had a look on Google Earth that didn’t reassure me. Would love to have an alternative if the path is wet again this year!
🙏

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello! Yes, my husband and I do recall the walk doe into Zubiri for sure! But with our trekking poles, and taking it as slowly as we wanted to take it (and with only small packs for water and snacks on our backs), we made it fine. I’m 70 and my husband is 74. The Camino was our 4th long hike, and we completely loved it. There are this sections that I think should be mentioned with more honesty in the books, and this section is one of those. The trail folks could do a few things to make it better, as has been done to other sections. I hope they do. Make sure you know how to prevent blisters so that doesn’t get in your way. Take snacks. Rest along the way. And it will be better knowing it is coming. It is not the steepness that is the problem, but the nature of the terrain. But with poles and a nice rest before you hit that section, you will be fine! Buen Camino!! I wish I were going again!!!
Many thanks! I am looking forward to my1st Camino!🇨🇦

Many thanks! I am looking forward to my1st Camino!🇨🇦
Oh!!! You will love it. Take your time and carry the Pilgrim’s Credo along. We found it so nice! And also discovered that each day, regardless of where we are, we are still pilgrims in our lives…

I’ll attach it here:

The Pilgrim's Credo
I am not in control.
I am not in a hurry.
I walk in faith and hope.
I greet everyone with peace.
I bring back only what God gives me.”

Murray Bodo, The Road to Mount Subasio

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think the descent from Cruz de Ferro is worse, so be prepared for that in a couple of weeks! I had tweaked my knee so I had prearranged a taxi to take me down the hill.
Much worse. And much longer. In January when there was ice around I walked the last 5km of that stage to Molinaseca down the road. There are some rough patches on the way to Zubiri but nothing like as tough going.

I also had a hip replacement in 2019 and know downhills are a bit hard on my knees - interested in peoples experience and thoughts? Go all the way to zubiri while still getting my Camino legs or?
I think when in doubt take the safe option. It is a really tough decent because of the surface and descents for me, are much tougher on your joints than going uphill. When there is a descent with a smooth surface like asphalt or gravel I make my poles longer and place one in front to keep me more upright and zigzag. But this stretch it is very difficult to do that. Get on the road, don't wear headphones, walk against traffic and keep your eyes and ears always open. It is just like the descent to Molinaseca. I don't want to mess with the path I would rather walk on the road. It is just a whole lot easier and better for my old bones and joints.

🙏many thanks! Good advice am considering taking the first week slow to get my Camino legs!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think when in doubt take the safe option. It is a really tough decent because of the surface and descents for me, are much tougher on your joints than going uphill. When there is a descent with a smooth surface like asphalt or gravel I make my poles longer and place one in front to keep me more upright and zigzag. But this stretch it is very difficult to do that. Get on the road, don't wear headphones, walk against traffic and keep your eyes and ears always open. It is just like the descent to Molinaseca. I don't want to mess with the path I would rather walk on the road. It is just a whole lot easier and better for my old bones and joints.
🙏yes the walking poles do help so much many thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello, from experience in my 2014 Caminó, Zubiri was a killer! I’m an avid hiker walked the Appalachian Trail, hiked in Utah, Colorado, Montana, and Zubiri cost me to almost drop Camino. The terrain is bad, not only steep, but filled with shale and scree. For me that day was very dry but the footing was not good, even with my trekking poles as support I got a giant blister under my second left toe nail that lifted my nail and ruptured. With the help of my wife and friends I rested in Pamplona 3 days and was able to finish Camino. I think this section and my injury was partly my fault because we were running late to the hostel, and I took this descent very fast. Like other pilgrims mentioned take your time coming down this hill, or chose another option. It’s not undoable, but you must go slow and chose your footing wisely! Hope this helps, BUEN CAMINO

I did it today and found the warnings more dramatic than the actual descent. I started from Espinal so had only 15 km today. It was dry. I am 68, in fairly good condition with no hip or knee issues and walk with poles. The only thing I found hard was the uneven rocky surface. Buen Camino!
🙏good to hear current conditions! Thkvyiu!

I did the descent on the shale path with great trepidation and as slowly as possible. It had just rained and was extremely slick and steep. If you can avoid this by going down the road, I recommend. This time I was solo, and a young man coming down half an hour later, fell and broke his leg on the shale path and had to be airlifted out of there.
I had walked it in 2012 during a dry spell and it was not such a big deal, but still tricky to navigate.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Going Up Coming down

Thanks for posting these going up/going down photos.

Just like Molinaseca the path to Zubiri has a roadway parallel to it which can be walked instead. In rain, snow etc or if physical limitations occur either taxi around it or take the roadway.
Granted, common sense safety must be taken when walking on any roadway. Look and listen for vehicles and always scan ahead and have an egress plan as you walk along.

You'll be absolutely fine. You are clearly doing solid training and distance presumably over varied terrain and will comfortably do the stage. There are other descents that your joints will notice (eg descent to Roncesvalles). Just plan to take your time, use your poles and have good supportive footwear especially if greasy. Worse case you could get a taxi from the top if absolutely needed ....and get one back the next morning. The descents to Zubiri, down from the Iron Cross and the start of the climb to O'Cebriro stick in my mind as notable only because they were not the even surfaces of the rest of the camino and just need care and attention especially if wet...it's not K2 ! Good move breaking up day 1 with Orisson. All the best with the planning and Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did the descent on the shale path with great trepidation and as slowly as possible. It had just rained and was extremely slick and steep. If you can avoid this by going down the road, I recommend. This time I was solo, and a young man coming down half an hour later, fell and broke his leg on the shale path and had to be airlifted out of there.
I had walked it in 2012 during a dry spell and it was not such a big deal, but still tricky to navigate.
Yes think I will have a plan B for if it is wet and rainy- many thanks

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You'll be absolutely fine. You are clearly doing solid training and distance presumably over varied terrain and will comfortably do the stage. There are other descents that your joints will notice (eg descent to Roncesvalles). Just plan to take your time, use your poles and have good supportive footwear especially if greasy. Worse case you could get a taxi from the top if absolutely needed ....and get one back the next morning. The descents to Zubiri, down from the Iron Cross and the start of the climb to O'Cebriro stick in my mind as notable only because they were not the even surfaces of the rest of the camino and just need care and attention especially if wet...it's not K2 ! Good move breaking up day 1 with Orisson. All the best with the planning and Buen Camino!
🙏thanks @Blister Bill ! I am probably a bit cautious as this will be my first big trek since my hip replacement- ( and they do frown on you falling!) so good excuse to stop and smell the flowers 🌺

Oh!!! You will love it. Take your time and carry the Pilgrim’s Credo along. We found it so nice! And also discovered that each day, regardless of where we are, we are still pilgrims in our lives…

I’ll attach it here:

The Pilgrim's Credo
I am not in control.
I am not in a hurry.
I walk in faith and hope.
I greet everyone with peace.
I bring back only what God gives me.”

Murray Bodo, The Road to Mount Subasio
❤️

Just like Molinaseca the path to Zubiri has a roadway parallel to it which can be walked instead. In rain, snow etc or if physical limitations occur either taxi around it or take the roadway.
Granted, common sense safety must be taken when walking on any roadway. Look and listen for vehicles and always scan ahead and have an egress plan as you walk along.
Many thanks good to have a plan B for☔🌧️appreciate the experience sharing!

I wish we read this earlier!! My husband fell and messed up his knee so now we’re taking a rest day in Pamplona.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh so sorry ! I wish you no other issues! Other than that how are your first few days? I start in Sept and can not wait! Beun Camino!
The first day we took the Valcarlos route which is the lower route and DEFINITELY NOT the easier route. The last 6-7miles after Valcarlos was a non-stop steep incline which I knew it would be challenging but after doing it I think I would have called a taxi in Valcarlos 😆! Also just to stick it to you at the end once you get up to the top you have to climb stairs!! It was such a relief to finally get up to the church and see that it was downhill the rest of the way to Roncesvalles. We thought that it would be much easier from Roncesvalles to Zubiri but once again the last few miles descending to Zubiri was a killer with all the jagged rocks. Take care and take your time or don’t feel bad if you just have to take a taxi! Better to not kill yourself and make it your own camino and not anyone else’s! Buen Camino!!

The first day we took the Valcarlos route which is the lower route and DEFINITELY NOT the easier route. The last 6-7miles after Valcarlos was a non-stop steep incline which I knew it would be challenging but after doing it I think I would have called a taxi in Valcarlos 😆! Also just to stick it to you at the end once you get up to the top you have to climb stairs!! It was such a relief to finally get up to the church and see that it was downhill the rest of the way to Roncesvalles. We thought that it would be much easier from Roncesvalles to Zubiri but once again the last few miles descending to Zubiri was a killer with all the jagged rocks. Take care and take your time or don’t feel bad if you just have to take a taxi! Better to not kill yourself and make it your own camino and not anyone else’s! Buen Camino!!
Well put - I am doing the Camino my way over about 42 days I figure! Slow at the start to get my Camino legs - wishing you a Beun Camino!

Go all the way to zubiri while still getting my Camino legs or?

If you are staring from Saint-Jean or Roncesvalles the only "or" alternative is a bus (or taxi).

I consider myself a very experienced road walker.

After having a look street level images for the road from Alto del Erro I would rather take my chances on the busiest street in one of your provincial capitals ...

As @LindaH says above "no verge or barrier from the traffic and had a look on Google Earth that didn’t reassure me". I would add there is almost no margin between the white line and the bank alongside. And with so many twists and turns, very little time to cross the road to be on the outside of bends and curves (rule #2 in road walking). The only consolation is, as noted from the street level images, not much traffic.

For the first few days, as you get your "camino legs", better to be safe than sorry.

Another alternative is to start from Pamplona, but then you run into the descent from Alto del Perdon to Uterga. That is definitely a difficult way as signposted. As is mostly the case, there is an alternative.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you are staring from Saint-Jean or Roncesvalles the only "or" alternative is a bus (or taxi).

I consider myself a very experienced road walker.

After having a look street level images for the road from Alto del Erro I would rather take my chances on the busiest street in one of your provincial capitals ...

As @LindaH says above "no verge or barrier from the traffic and had a look on Google Earth that didn’t reassure me". I would add there is almost no margin between the white line and the bank alongside. And with so many twists and turns, very little time to cross the road to be on the outside of bends and curves (rule #2 in road walking). The only consolation is, as noted from the street level images, not much traffic.

For the first few days, as you get your "camino legs", better to be safe than sorry.

Another alternative is to start from Pamplona, but then you run into the descent from Alto del Perdon to Uterga. That is definitely a difficult way as signposted. As is mostly the case, there is an alternative.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)
🙏

We plan on taking the Valcarlos route on the first day, it has a more moderate descent.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
what were the other sections that you deemed difficult or tricky i would appreciate a heads up i have 2 bad knees and want to be very careful and prepared

@batty - there are many threads on the Forum regarding various sections. The most 'famous' if you will are Ascends - Pyrenees (i.e. SJPdP to Col Lepoder), Alto Perdon, O'Cebreiro
Descends - Col Lepoder to Roncesvalles, Zubiri, Alto Perdon, Molinaseca, Triacastella

you may encounter many others - what may not be a problem for one person could be one for someone else. Even on a 'flat' surface you still have to be mindful of how you walk and where the foot is placed....
good luck and Buen Camino

what were the other sections that you deemed difficult or tricky i would appreciate a heads up i have 2 bad knees and want to be very careful and prepared
That is a great question -- what are the other tricky sections...I want to go over my notes and I will get back to you. Actually after walking sections of the Coast to Coast in Northern England, I believe it would be useful to have that same analysis. And I am planning to take a navigation course in the UK so I can learn about how to go around those sections where possible. I'll get back!! I will say this -- that once you have walked for about 3 days, your legs get very strong ("trail legs") and you pick up your own rhythm. Resting, stopping for a few minutes, stretching, doing a few exercises, eating an orange (!). All help!! I'll be back!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back