• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Deuter Back Packs

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My husband has one - what do you want to know?

I have a Deuter woman-specific pack. I loved it- very comfortable to wear. And it was easy to adjust, so I soon had it fitting like a glove. Some people would say the pack itself is too heavy, but personally, I think it's harness is worth the weight as it makes it so much easier to carry things.
Margaret
This is the model I had. Strictly speaking bigger than needed on the Camino, but I was also doing some other travelling before/after the Camino. http://www.deuter.com/en_US/backpack-details.php?category=120&artnr=33740&title=ACT Lite 45 + 10 SL

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Deuter is a very well-known German brand. Their packs are built like tanks; this is both a positive and a negative. Very sturdy, lots of pockets for easy organizing, exceptionally well engineered. That being said, one obtains those features with a little bit of extra weight. It's the same with all of our equipment discussions: your personal taste, experience, and preference may vary.

Thanks. I just had not seen the name mentioned in any of the posts. Great. I really like what I have read about it. Looking at the 40L+10L

Glad this topic has come up. I have recently bought a Dueter 40+10 woman's pack. I'm just not sure about it. I don't feel comfortable with the air space between the pack and my back. I feel like there is a lump at my shoulders and my hips and nothing in the middle. I guess I have to experiment with it more. it has been adjusted to my back length. Should I just practice more with it?
My old one is so comfortable but has done 5 Caminos and now has an unreliable zip on lower pocket.It is soft now whereas the Dueter is firm.
Would love to hear from someone who has walked a long way in one.
Thanks
Hheather

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Make sure you are practising with weight in it, as it works differently with too little weight in it. There are several different places you can adjust it. I was very happy with mine once I had it adjusted to suit me- then I had to readjust it again after I had loaned it to someone else for their Camino. But we all have different back/body shapes so perhaps it won't be the answer for you. I loved the way the back worked, as it helped keep me a bit cooler in the heat.
Margaret

I guess everyone needs to find their own preference. We have walked in many countries and thousands of kilometres including the CF in 2009 with our Deuter 32 as described with the ventilation gap and can't speak highly enough. We will be using them again in 2014 as well. As many have said in other parts of the forum - once you have your pack right it feels like its part if you (regardless of brand or model)
That's our thoughts and yet I am sure others feel just as confident in their comments. Just goes to show we are all different and there are few fixed rules in our adventures.

Ian

Well, they do quite different type of backpacks.
When looking for a new one, I tried a lot of different bags.
First, all the Deuter bags didn't feel "right" (Act light, Futura etc) - until I tried the "Deuter Spectro AC 28 SL". They call it "ultra light" although its still 1,2 kg, but it's a great bag for my back.
It is actually very small, but I manage to take everything with me I need. You find them now in 26l or 32 l in SL (women).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Deuter is one of the most common brands of backpack you'll see on the Camino, along with Quechua (German and French/Spanish pilgrims respectively). Yes, just get the right size and fitted well. You'll be fine. :D Buen Camino!

Thank you all for your input. I will persevere and do more practise walks with it filled. I guess on the positive side my back won't get soaked as it did with my old one.

I am always amazed to hear about the tiny packs some pilgrims take!!
Heather

I used the Deuter ACT-ZERO 50+15 this past Oct. on the CF and loved it. I understand we are not all built the same but this pack fit me like a glove and I became more comfortable with it than without it. I too saw more Deuters on the Camino than any others as has been mentioned before.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
KiwiNomad06 said:
I have a Deuter woman-specific pack. I loved it- very comfortable to wear. And it was easy to adjust, so I soon had it fitting like a glove. Some people would say the pack itself is too heavy, but personally, I think it's harness is worth the weight as it makes it so much easier to carry things.
Margaret
This is the model I had. Strictly speaking bigger than needed on the Camino, but I was also doing some other travelling before/after the Camino. http://www.deuter.com/en_US/backpack-details.php?category=120&artnr=33740&title=ACT Lite 45 + 10 SL

Margaret,
I have been looking at this pack. I took a 55l Osprey which fit really well, but even with my gear and 6-year-old's gear it was bigger than we needed and at over 2kg, added a significant amount of weight. Also, I found it to be too roomy, even with the sides cinched in - just too much space. I have given it to my daughter, who loves it!
I've tried the Deuter you have and am not sure if I love it or not. It feels different (I took 6kg of gear into the shop!) and although it doesn't feel bad, it's not the weightless feeling that the Osprey had (but I don't want a heavy Osprey and the lighter ones do not have such a good harness). Did it take a little getting used to or was it great from the first time you put it on? I do like the SL fit and the pocket on hip harness and the fact that even though it is 45l, it is slimmer than the Osprey....just not sure of the bag sitting out from my back.
Also, tossing up between this one and the 35+10 - that ones fits my summer Camino gear, but would not be quite big enough for a winter walk....decisions.....it's a pity you can't rent a pack for 24 hours and do a decent walk before buying!

Kiwi-family said:
I've tried the Deuter you have and am not sure if I love it or not. It feels different (I took 6kg of gear into the shop!) and although it doesn't feel bad, it's not the weightless feeling that the Osprey had... Did it take a little getting used to or was it great from the first time you put it on?
Also, tossing up between this one and the 35+10 - that ones fits my summer Camino gear, but would not be quite big enough for a winter walk....decisions.....it's a pity you can't rent a pack for 24 hours and do a decent walk before buying!
I did like the Deuter from the moment I put it on, but then everybody's back shape is different. (I have quite a sway back.) It only got better as time went on and I worked out how to adjust it to fit me as I walked.
I started in April when it was cold, so I actually needed a bit more space for winter layers.
I live in Palmy, but I think you live further north? I would be quite happy to loan you mine to try it out, but the logistics might be too tricky.
Margaret

I have the Deuter, ACT 40 +10. It took me a long time on the CF to find the right adjustments (I know that I should have had long practice runs before CF), however, after I hit the magic combination, it was like a revelation. For me, the key was a significant (not just one or two notches) adjustment of the vertical apparatus on the pack, the one that raises or lowers where the pack rides on your back. Mine was initially set way too low. I really learned to appreciate all of the well placed pockets on this pack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My daughter bought the deuter spectro ac 32l and it fits her perfectly. Deuter was recommended primarily because of the airflow in the back since we will be wearing it every day and potentially in very hot temps.

We both really like how you can access the bottom of the pack as well as the top. This particular one doesn't seem to fit me as well as I would like but I am hoping to find another deuter pack that works for me.

We are carrying on our luggage so the small size is also a bonus for that.

rickster said:
I have the Deuter, ACT 40 +10. [...] after I hit the magic combination, it was like a revelation..
I had worn out a The Northface backpack and last year bought the Deuter ACT 40+10
Easier wearing, and better access to sleeping bag (bottom) and bits-and-pieces (top). Recommendable backpack :D

My next pack will probably be a deuter. My most recent pack died in Burgos last year. I searched for a deuter, had no success and bought a Salomon, which I am happy with. My previous was a Berghaus climbing pack which I was very happy with despite it's weight.

My first Camino pack worked well, even though it was 20 years old and probably the heaviest pack on the the Camino as people hever tired of telling me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've been practice walking with my women's Deuter 45 + 10L pack... extremely comfortable. Sits directly on my hips and the padded straps are comfortable with my bosom. It is not ultralight but moves extremely well and I personally love the ventilation in back... it reinforces the fact that the pack is sitting squarely on hips and that the shoulder's aren't doing the work. Comfort and extremely good design. Check out MANY PACKS before you buy, and don't buy online. It's easy to heave around by the top strap too.

Glad this topic has come up. I have recently bought a Dueter 40+10 woman's pack. I'm just not sure about it. I don't feel comfortable with the air space between the pack and my back. I feel like there is a lump at my shoulders and my hips and nothing in the middle. I guess I have to experiment with it more. it has been adjusted to my back length. Should I just practice more with it?
My old one is so comfortable but has done 5 Caminos and now has an unreliable zip on lower pocket.It is soft now whereas the Dueter is firm.
Would love to hear from someone who has walked a long way in one.
Thanks
Hheather
My daughter had one when we walked last fall. My guess is all you need is some strap adjustments because she said she never felt any weight except on her hips.

I have a couple of Dueter packs, and find them quite competent packs in their volume range and intended use. I will probably be using one of them this year when I walk Camino Ingles. I am tossing up between the Guide 45+10 and Futura 38. My wife and I used these on the Milford Track last year, and they worked well for us.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After my worries last year I persevered with my Dueter 40+10 pack and now I love it,had no problems with my back.
Look forward to using it again this year on the Norte.
Heather

Margaret,

I've tried the Deuter you have and am not sure if I love it or not.but would not be quite big enough for a winter walk....decisions.....it's a pity you can't rent a pack for 24 hours and do a decent walk before buying!

Have you bought a pack yet? If not I really recommend you be a loyal Kiwi and at least try a wonderful Aarn pack! His system is just (IMO) so much more comfortable and useful than anything else. Made in NZ by a physiotherapist - AND he will lend you one to test. I've got the Featherlite Freedom which gives me lots of room but cinches down. No weight on the shoulders at all. The internal stay has to be bent precisely to fit your back and that takes a bit of fiddling but once done it is a dream to wear.

I have the Deuter Futura Vario 50+10 which I bought in Bilbao last year to replace my Salomon. I chose this model because it was the only one in stock of approximately the size I wanted. There are other (smaller) Deuter models which I would probably prefer. having said that, I am pretty happy with what I have got. OK Deuter packs are heavier than many other makes, but it has good solid German engineering and is comfortable, like my wife.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have you bought a pack yet? If not I really recommend you be a loyal Kiwi and at least try a wonderful Aarn pack! His system is just (IMO) so much more comfortable and useful than anything else. Made in NZ by a physiotherapist - AND he will lend you one to test. I've got the Featherlite Freedom which gives me lots of room but cinches down. No weight on the shoulders at all. The internal stay has to be bent precisely to fit your back and that takes a bit of fiddling but once done it is a dream to wear.

If I had realised this I would certainly have given them a try. However, I ended up getting a Deuter women's 35+10, and have got it adjusted so it sits beautifully. I'm really happy with it. I'm pleased that it is small enough to carry on the plane as hand luggage, but has the capacity to be able to carry food as well. Even with a sleeping bag, I could use a smaller pack, but this packs up easily and is very comfortable.

Hola Kanga - Are you referring to the Aarn pack with the chest pockets?? I thought long and hard about one of these but in the finish decided against it as I felt too enclosed (claustrophobic!). Maybe I was swayed by the shop assistant - who had used one the demo models, in the Aussie summer, and he said he was totally wet in the upper body after less than 2 hours. (Now I do not know when/where he used it and what he was wearing and carrying in the pack.) The Aarn packs are available in Melbourne (down off Little Burke St) and in Sydney from one supplier in Hornsby - just in case anyone wants to give them a test run!! Buen Camino!!

Yes; I've been using them on various caminos since 2004. Never found heat a problem, even in July on the meseta; the front pockets sit well out from my body. Like the back, they each have a metal rod which you shape to fit - in my case over fairly substantial, ummm, bumps! Guess if you didn't shape it out it might sit too close.
It takes a bit of getting used to the whole thing, including front pockets but it's worth it. Fantastic having water bottle, camera, wallet etc all easily accessible.
Looks horrible I admit!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Has anyone used these packs?

HI, i have 5 of them and the last 3 i have bought online as the model i get from this brand they do not sell in NZ (dont know what as im sure it be a massive seller ) i have a damaged back (ice climbing) and even though i love supporting home brand packs (Macpac) there frames just hurt my back...since my accident ive gone from trekking with a 60-70l pack, down to a 55l pack and i now do most of my multiday hikes with my 35 and 45l packs...

http://www.deutergb.co.uk/alpine/guide-tour-45-/

this (above) is the 3rd pack from the company i have bought online with out trying on, and the frames are an awesome fit each and every time, for my needs (solo hiking through, Nepal, Mongolia, Russia, Ukraine and the rest of Europe all on foot) i would never travel with any other brand. I travel extremely lightweight and still can keep my kit a shade under the 10kg mark... while still carrying all the normal hiking gear...plus a weeks food, water and suchlike..while not skimping on the safety stuff as well..

Biggest thing DO NOT buy a pack unless you tried them on before...i only did that as i already owned 2 others (still have them) before hand and knew what i was getting.. you may try it on (also always have stuff in it...it not good trying on a pack empty) and it not suit you at all...play with the frames...dont be shy to by a wo/mans pack if the frame fits you...who cares what others think...they are not going to be the one who is carrying it for hours on end...ive met alot of guys with a "female" branded pack and are more than happy with it as the frame fits best...it all comes down to fit...if it dont feel right..dont get it...try on other brands and never let the sales people rush you...when i bought my first pack the first thing i asked them was do you hike and if so how far and often you go....in my case the shop i was in the person had never put on a pair of hiking boots in her life....if that happens..politely excuse yourself and go to another store...you need to go to a shop with sales people that live and breathe it and not going to sell you something with out actually knowing about the products proper use....

if you need to brainstorm for pack ideas by all means drop me a line...im more than happy to help with advice on packs or any other light weight gear...as i have currently hiked 80% of Australia solo, and in Tasmania doing that lap before i head back to Melbourne to continue my trip to Perth upon which i hop on a plane to Nepal...

For my trip i have been studying all there is too know about lightweight hiking/trekking

So if i can help please feel free to ask.

Take care and God Bless

Wayne aka Kiwipilgrimnz

Hi, Mustbjones. I walked the Camino last spring with a Deuter 40+10 pack for women and I LOVED it. After a few days, I forgot it was there. The pack can be adjusted every which way. I got it adjusted so it fit me perfectly. (Deuter has a good video that explains how it should fit.) It is a bit heavy, at about four and a half pounds, I guess, but I found it extremely comfortable and thought the trampoline back panel kept me from overheating. I'm walking the Camino again this September, with my grown daughter, and I'm making lots of adjustments in terms of what I'm carrying (lighter sleeping bag) but none with the pack. It's fantastic.

One recommendation: buy sheepskin seat-belt covers at your local auto supply store. Cut them in half and use them to pad the backpack hip belt. It makes a HUGE difference in comfort, so you don't have something digging into your hips, and only adds a couple ounces of weight. It also gives your hands a comfortable place to rest while you're walking. Try it and see. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I got a Deuter 35 AC futura. Love it so far. We'll see on the Camino End April.

Had a ACT trail 32 which I changed for an ACT lite 50+10 due to the unadjustable back length and insufficient space. Trimmed down my pack list and the 50+10 felt like a garden sack on my back. Ditched it for an Osprey Kestrel 38 which still has to be put to the test. So far so good. All packed up its the perfect size and fits really well due to the adjustable back length.

Rsmith0000, any specific brand you can suggest?
The sheepskin seatbelt covers were some offbrand. They only cost $10. I will never hike without them. And they had velcro on the back so you could adjust the fit to your backpack's hip belt width.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.