• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Choice of backpack for daily packing (Ingles in October)

Westmalle

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Ingles
Need some help here.
Camino Ingles beginning of October. Definitely sending luggage forward. Female, 175cm tall.
Searching for a backpack to carry and a waist pack.
On touring trips I am used to carry documents and small stuff in crossbody and then have a backpack, but my shoulders hurt a lot afterwards. For sure the cheap Amazon backpack is no good.
Thus, I am here asking for an advice of how small/big a day packpack should be and what should I pay attention to while choosing it. I don't want to spend a fortune on it, but don't want another "cheap Amazon" neither.
Same about waist pack: I bet crossbody bag does have a good impact on a shoulder.
October on Ingles might be cold (?) and rainy (yes), so searching for something waterproof, something that prevents me from loading it with unnecessary stuff (reasonable size) and not too expensive.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Need some help here.
Camino Ingles beginning of October. Definitely sending luggage forward. Female, 175cm tall.
On touring trips I am used to carry documents and small stuff in crossbody and then have a backpack, but my shoulders hurt a lot afterwards. For sure the cheap Amazon backpack is no good.
Thus, I am here asking for an advice of how small/big a day packpack should be and what should I pay attention to while choosing it. I don't want to spend a fortune on it, but don't want another "cheap Amazon" neither.
Same about waist pack: I bet crossbody bag does have a good impact on a shoulder.
October on Ingles might be cold (?) and rainy (yes), so searching for something waterproof, something that prevents me from loading it with unnecessary stuff (reasonable size) and not too expensive.
Do you live near a good outdoor equipment shop? The only certain way of getting a good fit is to physically try on a pack with weight which is roughly what you intend carrying.

Strangely, you may be better with a bigger sack than you’re expecting as it sounds like you’re carrying the weight on your shoulders. With a larger pack with the correct back-length and a padded hip-belt you should be able to get 75% of the weight on your hips and have the shoulder straps fairly loose. A sternum strap (which connects the shoulder straps at the front) will also stabilise it. Some women find sternum straps uncomfortable depending on the configuration of their chest. (Will one of the women here help me out with that please!)

Ingles in October: unpredictable but Galicia is often damp and cool.

What are you planning to carry daily? That will help you with the size. If it is only a rain jacket and a 500 ml water bottle you can get by with something resembling a purse. If you are like me and don't trust your CPAP to bag transport you'll need something bigger like a backpack.

Here's a bag large enough for a water bottle, rain jacket, and your credential, phone and wallet. (Magellan brand) Maybe a granola bar, too. If you are using bag transport, you won't need much in between. Don't let yourself get something too big.20240215_072908.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a 20L Gregory that I think is just the right size for a day pack (see photo!) -- enough room to include rain gear, a puffer jacket or light fleece, and all the other essentials and potential essentials. In addition, if for some reason you want or need to send your bag two days ahead (e.g. you want flexibility of where/how far to walk to between two places), it also has enough room for whatever you would want for that one night.

Whatever you choose, make sure it has enough support for your back. I can carry a 20 pound backpack with an internal frame all day, but a day pack with a water bottle and a guide book or two will give me lower back pain in a couple of hours. Some people have no problem with those ultralight packs or with a “regular” day pack, but I would need something with support. I see two 20 L Gregry packs, the Nano and the Maya. I could only use the Maya, which is twice as expensive as the Nano! It just depends on what works for your back.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have a 16 liter bag I carry back and forth to work, but that is too big for a Camino day bag. Avoid the "What if..." temptation if you can. My husband always carries too much stuff and then complains his back hurts. He never uses most of what is in his bag. Look at the weather and decide each day what you need instead of packing everything "just in case".

Meanwhile thanks everybody for first insight.
What to put inside: I think it will be fleece jacket, rain jacket, water, first aid kit, guide book, sunglasses, tissues, snack and then who knows what else. I will wear waist pack as well, as I like some things like phone, tissues "handy". But I am "what if" kind of person that's why I tend to bring a bit more than needed.
What I understand is I need 1) hip band 2) to try backpack personally.
I daily hiked with North Face Borealis, but appartently it was not best for me as it was not comfortable with hip band and without it my shoulders were destroyed. So I need to give hip band another try.

So should I be looking into something between 16L and 20L as size?
Is there somewhere a check list of what daily backpackers take with themselves? Just would like to leave a "must have" in the luggage that I will find only later during the day.

In addition, if for some reason you want or need to send your bag two days ahead (e.g. you want flexibility of where/how far to walk to between two places), it also has enough room for whatever you would want for that one night.
That's a very interesing point...

@Westmalle , based on the list of things you wish to carry I would strongly suggest between 20 and 25 liters. My normal day pack - which I carry frequently, but not normally for more than three or four hours - is 23 l. Plenty of room for everything you're suggesting, and a few extra items as well.
But it doesn't have a proper waist belt, and so would not be suitable for daily use on Camino. A good waist belt seriously helps my shoulders. And I had a couple of places on the Inglés last year (April) where I needed more than a liter of water between fountains. One litre alone is one kilo.

Personally I would look for very similar features to a proper backpack :
Appropriate torso length, good waist belt ( nicely padded, decent adjustment), good shoulder straps ( ditto ), sternum strap, compression straps water bottle pockets, top pocket, internal zipped pocket, rain cover. Ventilation if possible.
Both Osprey and Deuter do several that fit those parameters, I'm sure you'll find a plenty of others.

If you're still unsure about the size, put what you want to carry into a bag (including a full litre of water) and take it with you - it'll very quickly give you an indication as to what is appropriate.

I loved the Inglès, enjoy!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Need some help here.
I wear a Deuter AC Lite 21L SL for my day hikes. It holds all my needs, rain gear, extra pair of socks, jacket if not wearing, small first aide/ foot kit, food and water. I also wear a 2L waist pack. I hope this helps you decide. I walked this route in October and I definitely used my rain gear!
Buen Camino🥾

So...what I understood is that I should be looking into 20-25L packback, for sure hip belt, better padded, internal frame or structured anyway. Trying first in a physical shop rather then buying online. Most quoted brands are Gregory, Deuter, Osprey

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So...what I understood is that I should be looking into 20-25L packback, for sure hip belt, better padded, internal frame or structured anyway. Trying first in a physical shop rather then buying online. Most quoted brands are Gregory, Deuter, Osprey
Those are popular brands. I have a Jack Wolfskin pack. My husband has an REI brand day pack. Go for fit and comfort and not necessarily a particular brand.

Getting the right fit - in person - is essential. I tried on 10 packs before finding the right one (I guess I have a very short torso) - the wonderful clerk at REI showed me how to adjust it - and WOW - what a great pack and super-duper fit!

I purchased a 30L Gregory Jade, women's, extra small. It also comes in a 20L capacity as well as larger capacities.

I like to buy equipment from REI as they have a 365 day no-questions-asked return policy for members (membership is $30 and when you sign up for a membership they give you a $30 coupon - so its essentially free if you then buy something from them). I'm not associated with REI in any way shape or form.

Shop for this as if you are looking for a "regular" backpack. Measure torso length, get a well-padded waist belt, comfortable shoulder and sternum straps, ventilation, side pockets, separate zipped "brain" (topmost section), internal pocket.

And yes- go for fit and comfort rather than any particular brand name.

I am located in Italy, so no access to REI. Being not in a big city I will have to search for brands retailer first and then probably in that shop I can find other brands. We have only Decathlon as a big store with a big choice and a handful of smaller shops that I still need to figure out.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am located in Italy, so no access to REI. Being not in a big city I will have to search for brands retailer first and then probably in that shop I can find other brands. We have only Decathlon as a big store with a big choice and a handful of smaller shops that I still need to figure out.
Ask the salespeople in your Decathlon.

@Westmalle, Sometimes we get too hung up on brands. Whilst Decathlon isn’t perhaps the best, they often have reasonable gear at reasonable prices, and they generally have a couple of staff who know what they’re talking about. They’ve often got a fairly good range of products, too. (Eg: Multiple daypacks with various features, capacity etc) . You might also check out this new thread:

As I’ve said before: what’s most important is comfort. If they’ve got something that’s comfortable for you, with the right features ( as above) then go for it!

No need to overthink it, you’re only going for a week.

Edited to add: the time to worry about quality etc is once your addicted, like most of us…..

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Edited to add: the time to worry about quality etc is once your addicted, like most of us…..
That's a big the point. There isn't a huge difference between a Decathlon pack and a Deuter (here in Italy).
I will definitely go by trying. But not easy to find a nice store with a choice.

Back here.
Went to Decathlon to see what they offer. Their MH500 is quite a nice product.
Did not like Deuter backpacks because for me the hip strap wasn't padded enough. Osprey Talon 26 fitted well, but I had an impression of having something huge on the back.
Ended up with a Ferrino Agile 23 Lady.

Here’s another way to think about the day pack issue we bag transporters have. I had a borrowed a 30L Deuter pack. I used it as my only luggage and was able to carry it on my flight. Then I transported my largest packing cube with my heaviest stuff: toiletries, guide book, extra clothes, sandals.
And I absolutely love the Uniqlo mini cross body bag. It’s small but somehow swallows up everything I need. It’s super easy to adjust the strap to wear it across your chest or down on your hip. I wear it everyday. Thankfully it’s washable

Attachments

• IMG_2540.jpeg
    IMG_2540.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 10
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I use a 22L Osprey Talon for day hikes that require more than just a fanny pack. I used it last year in the Alps and it's large enough that I could fit a change of clothes and some toiletries for the few nights that I stayed over in huts. I second peregrina2000's advice about fit and what works for your back. I do not have back problems, but have found that a poorly fit smaller pack can be just as aggravating a large one.

If you need to waterproof the gear in your pack, your pack cover will only offer so much protection. Your best bet is to put the stuff in your pack into a one or more lightweight dry bags (check out Sea to Summit).

For your documents, assuming you are just talking about a passport and may a few other key small items, you may wish to consider something smaller, such as a waist bag (this one is good). But honestly, I've only used one once on the Camino because it was a bit of a bother. Now I keep my passport and wallet on my person and everything else in my pack. I put an Apple Air Tag in my pack for peace of mind, although I recognize it doesn't prevent theft.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.