• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Diabetes & the camino

Gayla

Time of past OR future Camino
April (2019)
Hi everybody! I am 58 & been diabetic since age 12. Im doing the camino april of 2019. I would love any feedback on what to expect with blood sugars and insulin control. I am on a pump. I am very active, but I know the camino will be above & beyond active. Thx everyone!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am type 2 diabetic and did the Frances starting in Pamplona Sept 20 to Nov 02,2017. I will say that eating low carb is not an easy thing on the Camino. I did not follow my diet and ate a lot of bread, pasta, beer and more bread. I ate a lot. One week after I got home I had my normal 4 month lab work and follow up with the Dr. My A1c had gone down when I was on the Camino. I have read others on this board say the same thing. I must say that I ate so much bread I was sick of bread, and I love bread. I wish you the very best.

I am type 2 diabetic and did the Frances starting in Pamplona Sept 20 to Nov 02,2017. I will say that eating low carb is not an easy thing on the Camino. I did not follow my diet and ate a lot of bread, pasta, beer and more bread. I ate a lot. One week after I got home I had my normal 4 month lab work and follow up with the Dr. My A1c had gone down when I was on the Camino. I have read others on this board say the same thing. I must say that I ate so much bread I was sick of bread, and I love bread. I wish you the very best.
Thank you for your feedback. How were your bloodsugars during the walk?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi everybody! I am 58 & been diabetic since age 12. Im doing the camino april of 2019. I would love any feedback on what to expect with blood sugars and insulin control. I am on a pump. I am very active, but I know the camino will be above & beyond active. Thx everyone!
Welcome, and wise of you to check this out far ahead. I have seen many responses to health questions begin with the recommendation that you talk to your own health professionals. Yes, the experience of other pilgrims with diabetes will be useful for you to hear as well. Enjoy the research!

Welcome, and wise of you to check this out far ahead. I have seen many responses to health questions begin with the recommendation that you talk to your own health professionals. Yes, the experience of other pilgrims with diabetes will be useful for you to hear as well. Enjoy the research!
Thank you, and absolutely will be working with my Dr to be prepared.

My blood sugars declined during my walk to the extent that night time hypos began to be common despite eating a carb heavy diet, difficult not to. So I took the decision to drop the medication that was most likely to promote hypos and had no more hypos. Always carried glucose tablets, dried fruit and muesli bars. Carried a test kit and used it regularly and to an extent ate when my meter told me to. The camino is entirely doable but know your body, test and be prepared to alter your medication. Discuss your drug regimen with your doctor and/or diabetes nurse and make sure they understand the physical effort you will be making.

I expected low blood sugars because of doing lots of training walks to test kit and break in shoes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My blood sugars declined during my walk to the extent that night time hypos began to be common despite eating a carb heavy diet, difficult not to. So I took the decision to drop the medication that was most likely to promote hypos and had no more hypos. Always carried glucose tablets, dried fruit and muesli bars. Carried a test kit and used it regularly and to an extent ate when my meter told me to. The camino is entirely doable but know your body, test and be prepared to alter your medication. Discuss your drug regimen with your doctor and/or diabetes nurse and make sure they understand the physical effort you will be making.

I expected low blood sugars because of doing lots of training walks to test kit and break in shoes.
Thanks for your feedback! Yes.....I am training too so am really adjusting the insulin. I love hearing everyones experiences!

Final thought, look after your feet if your circulation is impaired blisters will take longer to heal and will be at greater risk of infection. I got no blisters and believe, despite the vast discussions here, that they are an optional extra.

I'm Type 2, posted about this yesterday on another thread, use the Search function for lots more information from other members. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am type 2 and have been on the camino 5 times. Not for the first time, I forgot to take my medication but the exercise was keeping my blood sugar levels in check. Sometimes it is hard to get breakfast in the first 5 to 10 kms and metformin must be taken with food so occasionally I did forget. I am assuming you are type 1 having had it since 12 but I really dont think you will have any problems at all. Any meds you take, seal them in a tablet pouch and I mean an android/apple tablet. I fell for that one when it was recommended to me. The pouch will keep them dry. I fell into a river back in April but all my meds were bone dry along eith my neck buff. Everything else was wet

I am type 2 and have been on the camino 5 times. Not for the first time, I forgot to take my medication but the exercise was keeping my blood sugar levels in check. Sometimes it is hard to get breakfast in the first 5 to 10 kms and metformin must be taken with food so occasionally I did forget. I am assuming you are type 1 having had it since 12 but I really dont think you will have any problems at all. Any meds you take, seal them in a tablet pouch and I mean an android/apple tablet. I fell for that one when it was recommended to me. The pouch will keep them dry. I fell into a river back in April but all my meds were bone dry along eith my neck buff. Everything else was wet
Thank u for all that info!!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.