• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Difference between Sunday Night Train and Lunea Corail?

marji

Time of past OR future Camino
yes
Hola!

Part of the delights of planning a pilgrimage is exploring all the options...
As I am arriving at CDG on a Sunday afternoon , I thought I would catch the Night Train
or Lunea Corail.
The Night train leaves from Montparnasse Station and the Lunea from Austerlitz Station a half hour later.
Apart from this, what is the difference between these trains?
Does anybody know the cost?
Can you sleep on both or only on the Lunea?

I am using the site Bonjour France, but as yet am not able to determine prices (only schedules).
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Marji

One is a sleeper, Intercités de Nuit and one a hotel train. The difference being the sleeper is cheaper and consists of couchettes and seats whilst the hotel train will have first and second class cabins as well as a bar etc.

Check out Seat61.com for details.

Book at raileurope.co.uk

C

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Marji,

I will have to check if that is correct information from Sibilinni. Normally, all trains leaving from the Montparnasse train station to Hendaye are TGVs which have no sleeping facilities whatsoever. They sometimes run an overnight service but not every night.

Trains leaving form Paris to Hendaye from the Austerlitz station are the slower trains with sleeping facilities and regular seets. Not the TGV.

I am not aware of any "Hotel Train" and I live in Paris and travel this route regularly. Could you proved me with the date you would like to travel and I will check on it personally.

Thanks so much Hotelmedicis. I must say I have found two sites with different information. I shall PM my details...

From what I can now gather post weaving through various sites, The Lunea Corail is more frequent and leaves from Austerlitz. You can book for couchettes (four or six to a birth) or a single seat : reclining chair. Not sure about single sleeping berths tho. The Night Train-leaving from Montparnasse- is less frequent and more like a "hotel" with restaurant and bar etc. 8)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Marji,
Could you give details on where you found information on the "Night Train" leaving from Montparnasse which is "like a hotel with restaurant and bar?" I have lived here in Paris since 1995 and travel this route several times a year and I'm not aware of such a train. I only know about the regular trains, the TGV, that leaves from la Gare de Montparnasse to Hendaye. During the summer months SNCF may run a "TGV de nuit" (a night TGV) on Fridays and Sundays but I'm not sure if they are still doing that. The only trains leaving Paris with sleeping berths are the "Intercities de nuit," formerly known as "Corail Lunéa" from 2004 until 2012. These trains, which are not the high-speed TGVs, leave from the Gare d'Austerlitz. (This service will probably disappear in the future as the material is coming to the end of its life-span and the SNCF is not ordering new sleeping cars.)

Regarding single sleeping berths, there are none, as far as I know. A first-class sleeping berth gives you 3 other room-mates instead of 5 others in second-class. Bring earplugs.

If you are aware of a special "Night Train" with a bar and restaurant leaving Paris for Hendaye could post a link to the website? That would be great. Thank you.

Durée 11h03

Départ à : 21h45

De la gare de : PARIS AUSTERLITZ

Transporteur : INTERCITÉS de nuit

Numéro du train : 4053

Confort 1e classe

Espace privatif

Arrivée à : 08h48

A la gare de : HENDAYE GARE
91.00 €
Plus de détails
Conditions tarifaires : LOISIR SPECIAL Web : -3 euros sur Internet pour le voyage INTERCITES DE NUIT. Billet échangeable et remboursable soumis à conditions avant départ et non échangeable et non remboursable après départ.
Dernières places disponibles à ce prix !

166.00 €
Plus de détails
Conditions tarifaires : PRO 1ère : Service d'échange et de remboursement gratuit jusqu'au départ. Sous conditions après départ.
Durée 12h54

Départ à : 22h55

De la gare de : PARIS AUSTERLITZ

Numéro du train : 3753

Confort 1e classe

Espace privatif

Arrivée à : 06h10 > 06h32 Via

A la gare de : MONTAUBAN VILLE BOURBON

Transporteur : TGV

Numéro du train : 8500

Confort 1e classe

Arrivée à : 08h13 > 09h01 Via

A la gare de : BORDEAUX SAINT JEAN

Numéro du train : 4731

2e classe

Arrivée à : 11h49

A la gare de : HENDAYE GARE
176.20 €
Plus de détails
Conditions tarifaires : Plein tarif Loisir : -3 euros sur Internet pour le voyage INTERCITES DE NUIT. Billet échangeable et remboursable soumis à conditions avant départ et non échangeable et non remboursable après départ.
Conditions tarifaires : Loisir réduit : Service d'échange et de remboursement gratuit jusqu'à la veille du départ, avec retenue de 10 euros le jour du départ, non échangeable et non remboursable après départ.
Conditions tarifaires : LOISIR SPECIAL Web : -3 euros sur Internet pour le voyage INTERCITES DE NUIT. Billet échangeable et remboursable soumis à conditions avant départ et non échangeable et non remboursable après départ.
Dernières places disponibles à ce prix !

203.70 €
Plus de détails
Conditions tarifaires : PRO 1ère : Service d'échange et de remboursement gratuit jusqu'au départ. Sous conditions après départ.
Conditions tarifaires : TGV PRO 1ère : Service d'échange et de remboursement gratuit jusqu'au départ. Sous conditions après départ.
Services inclus en savoirPlus d'infos sur :
Conditions tarifaires : PRO 2nde : Service d'échange et de remboursement gratuit jusqu'au départ. Sous conditions après départ.

I took the Intercités night train from Paris Austerlitz to Bayonne last October. Since I bought on line in advance and am well over 60 the price for a non refundable first class couchette was only 50 € in a compartment of 4. You can request an all female compartment. There were no private (single occupancy) compartments on the train. It was hardly luxurious, but the price was great! Margaret Meredith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I caught the sleeper from Austerlitz to Bayonne in April last year. Can't remember how much but it wasn't anything painful ... And dozing in a six berth couchette was a wonderful introduction to Albergue life. Most of which seemed pretty luxurious and spacious after that experience.

If you want any chance to sleep, don't opt for the "single seat" - I did it twice until now (last minute booking - thus horrendous prices for the travel - that's why I took the cheapest option).
It was just a nightmare!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
excellent tips. thank you. Yes that is a good price for a sleeper, Margaret..your comment Tinca made me lol..sure, this will be a new "experience". Am packing ear-plugs and will book in advance. Thanks again. :mrgreen:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back